Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217

@markcincinnati said:
    Wondering what the uptake will be on these new manual trans versions of the 2,3 and 4 series.

Indeed BMW may have listened, but I have to believe that the number of folks who will actually go ahead and buy one of these versions will be tiny, tiny, tiny.

I can't understand why a company would do this based on what I have to assume is a huge check that has to be written to get a car certified for sale in the US.

But, I applaud the effort!

Since the engine and transmissions in the 2-3,4 series are the same the added cost wouldn't be all that much.

Now will dealers have many manual transmission cars sitting on their lots, I doubt it. Most of the hard core Bimmer fans will do the ED program so this means they will order their cars, so the manual cars will most likely come from these people, which is a small amount in regards to the total sales of BMWs.

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2014

European delivery uptake: That's another data point I'd like to have available. I've "researched" Audi's, BMW's, MB's and Volvo's ED programs (BTW, Volvo has a great DVD about their program -- but, well, as has been said, "Who's Volvo?")

Pity that Volvo has become almost invisible and for some irrelevant; yet I always find these ED programs "exciting" and tell myself, "Self, we should pick up our next car in Germany and drive it on the Autobahn". But then it seems so easy to just rent a fill-in-the-blank for a few days, drive the rental on the Autobahn and not worry about parking YOUR new baby in a woefully small German, Italian or French or basement garage only to return to door dings.

So, I end up renting or riding the train from Munich to Verona and enjoying the dining and drinking once you hit the Passo del Brennero (Brenner Pass, i.e.) and the Italian chef comes on board.

Anyway, anyone know the numbers of us 'mericans who actually avail themselves of the various European Delivery programs?

BTW, these programs -- especially Volvo's -- seem like a fairly good deal.

DILYL

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Hearing some scuttlebut about the new 4 cyl in the upcoming Acura TLX. ~280HP with 270 torque at 1,500 rpm. That will be combined with a DCT trans (8-speed). It also includes Acura's 4 wheel steering (P-AWS) That sounds to be a good performer.

If you follow the trend, the SH AWD version will have a 9 speed trans and a 3.5L V6. Guessing that it will put out something in the 310-325 HP range.

These are shaping up to be some pretty hot cars if all this comes to pass....especially if Acura doesn't goose the price, which we're assuming they won't given they're trying to attract both the TSX (now discontinued) crowd and the current TL crowd.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited January 2014

@markcincinnati said:
    European delivery uptake: That's another data point I'd like to have available. I've "researched" Audi's, BMW's, MB's and Volvo's ED programs (BTW, Volvo has a great DVD about their program -- but, well, as has been said, "Who's Volvo?")

Anyway, anyone know the numbers of us 'mericans who actually avail themselves of the various European Delivery programs?

BTW, these programs -- especially Volvo's -- seem like a fairly good deal.

DILYL

For BMW the only veichal's that are not part of the ED program are the SUV, i.e X3,5 and 6 since they are made here in the US, however, you can do a factory delivery in Spartenburg, and go through the factory and then spend a day at the performance center. Also with the Ed program for the other cars, you have an option of having the car delivered in Spartenburg, and go through the performance center with your car. So you can take two vacation, one in Europe and One driving your car back home (or have it shipped at your dime home.) On Bimmerfest there is a whole thread about the ED program lots of info and I know that our next BMW will be done this way, I did on my 330i and loved it, but this forum opened my eyes on things I was not aware of before.

In regards to the amount of Americans who do it, I'm sure it's a fairly small amount that do it. But you can save a fair amount if you do it. BMW use to offer free airfare to Munich, but the tickets were very restrictive.

@graphicguy said:

These are shaping up to be some pretty hot cars if all this comes to pass....especially if Acura doesn't goose the price, which we're assuming they won't given they're trying to attract both the TSX (now discontinued) crowd and the current TL crowd.

When is the TSX being discontinued ?

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382

Volvo has a good program. Includes at least 1, sometimes 2, tickets to Sweden and a few nights hotel. And the price tends to be attractive too. I looked into it a while back when I was considering a Volvo, and at that point (early 2000s) I think you could even get configurations (options or how they were bundled) that you could not get on anything they were sending over. So it was possible to spec out an oddball for yourself!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

@graphicguy said:
    Hearing some scuttlebut about the new 4 cyl in the upcoming Acura TLX. ~280HP with 270 torque at 1,500 rpm. That will be combined with a DCT trans (8-speed). It also includes Acura's 4 wheel steering (P-AWS) That sounds to be a good performer.

If you follow the trend, the SH AWD version will have a 9 speed trans and a 3.5L V6. Guessing that it will put out something in the 310-325 HP range.

GG, this does sound interesting. About time Acura got serious. Honda certainly has the technological ability to produce exciting stuff. They used to! If they spiffy up the styling too, and can keep the price below the Germans, they might just get back in the game.

Maybe they will also slide the 2.4l down to the ILX (the normal AT cars) at least as an option. That could help revitalize that model.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@flightnurse said:
    When is the TSX being discontinued ?

All that Honda has said is that 2014 is the last model year.

There is talk that the Euro Accord will be redesigned for 2015 but nothing concrete. Maybe the TLX will be the Euro/JDM/Aussie Accord. IMHO, it makes sense since it will be made in North America and exporting it from here would make more financial sense than from Japan.

@robr2 I hope that Honda will revamp the TSX a little more room in the back and a bit more HP could be a winning combo..

edited January 2014

@flightnurse said:
    robr2 I hope that Honda will revamp the TSX a little more room in the back and a bit more HP could be a winning combo..

FN....TSX is gone, at least from North America. 2014 is the end of the road for it.

ILX is the new entry level Acura.

Stickguy....Some more talk that the ILX-S (if it happens) gets the TLX 4 cyl. That would be a hot little car, if true.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,158

@stickguy said:

Volvo ED is nice, but the pricing is only attractive when there are no big cash incentives. However, Volvo frequently throws those in, sometimes thousands - which makes ED price is not so great, in comparison. Unlike BMW, Volvo's ED pricing is non-negotiable, like all others, it does not include incentives - however, you sometimes can get an extra discount (usually $500 or so) on certain prebuilt models waiting in Sweden. And you still get the ticket, one night at the hotel and the dinner, and you can have a free car rental for couple of weeks. It is worth something, if you plan to go anyway.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582

The Accord (TSX) has been a sales disaster in Europe. Creating a new generation for that market would have to look like poor ROI from the accounting department's perspective. And its not like it sells much in Japan either.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

GG, the 270 HP one? That would be fun. I was hoping they would just take a version of the current 2.4l and offer it with the AT, not just the 6 speed Si clone.

edited January 2014

@tifighter said:
    The Accord (TSX) has been a sales disaster in Europe. Creating a new generation for that
    market would have to look like poor ROI from the accounting department's perspective. And
    its not like it sells much in Japan either.

Well considering Honda sold only 120K cars in the Europe last year (out of about 12 million) it's hard to say that any of their products are "successful."

In reality, 4 door mid-size family sedans aka executive saloons don't sell well in Europe.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,158

@robr2 said:

Honda has a "special" status in Europe. It's a brand that everybody recognizes and respects, but not many people buy. Pricing is the issue. Their product is too expensive there, plain and simple. Some of that has to do with tarriffs (for products that are not made in EU), some with market positioning. My dad used to have Japanese made Civic and it was a great vehicle. No perfect, but worked well. He sold it for a nice price when it was time to move on. But the customer base is simply too small for mass-market brand ambitions and price is the root.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

@dino001 said:
    Honda has a "special" status in Europe. It's a brand that everybody recognizes and respects,
    but not many people buy. Pricing is the issue.

I can see that considering that Dacia was the fastest growing brand in the EU last year.

• dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421

@graphicguy said:

Works for me. So right now the TSX V6 with tech is being shown here as ~37K TMV. I hope they keep it under 40.

How long do I have to wait for some first drive reviews of this car?

@dash5 said:
    Works for me. So right now the TSX V6 with tech is being shown here as ~37K TMV. I hope they keep it under 40.

How long do I have to wait for some first drive reviews of this car?

I'm guessing the TLX shown on Detroit is probably pretty close to production ready.

If I were a betting man, you would probably see the '15 TLX somewhere in the July to September time frame by the time they reach dealerships.

I'd bet Acura wants to get the TLX to dealers very soon -- however, there will have to be a bit of a balancing act in that the current TL inventory will have to be taken into consideration, so that the new TLX doesn't force the 2014 TL to be discounted until it hurts.

My Audi dealer says that based on current inventory, it is now typical for the new cars (without owners names attached already) to be held "in port" whilst the current inventory is worked down.

I guess we should appreciate that approach (if we are already owners) since it would seem to help preserve, somewhat, the value of the current model.

I remember when I could go into a dealership and there would be plenty of leftover "last year models" gathering dust until the deep discounting started them moving again. Don't see that so much anymore.

I'm gonna "forecast" the TLX will fare better with the pro reviewers and enthusiasts' magazines than did the Q50 from Infiniti.

Been wrong before. :o

DILYL

• dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421

Personally I'm waiting on the A3/S3 and this TLX. Although this go around I am thinking lease. How well do Acura's lease? Another concern is that these are new models.

Acura tends to have some of the highest residual values - they don't lease well unless Honda is supporting the lease price.

@dash5 said:
    Personally I'm waiting on the A3/S3 and this TLX. Although this go around I am thinking lease. How well do Acura's lease? Another concern is that these are new models.

Would not worry much about the acura being a new model. Especially on a lease. I got an early redesign RDX and it was flawless.

Auras will lease well when not selling for sure. Out of the gate not likely to see anything special on a brand new design.

BMW probably does the most to subsidize their leases. I think Mercedes does, too.

I'm not a lease person, so don't know about any of the other manufacturers. But, plenty here have leased BMWs, so I'm going from what they've posted.

@robr2 said:
    Acura tends to have some of the highest residual values - they don't lease well unless Honda is supporting the lease price.

what are the residual rates for the TL, and MDX?

Currently all of the 3 series and 4 series cars are 60+% for a 3 year lease.

@graphicguy said:
    BMW probably does the most to subsidize their leases. I think Mercedes does, too.

I'm not a lease person, so don't know about any of the other manufacturers. But, plenty here have leased BMWs, so I'm going from what they've posted.

I wouldn't call it subsidizes they have programs...

Both BMW and MB have what are called Multi Security Deposits. BMW has a max of 7 and MB has a max of 10. Basically what happens is for each MSD put down lowers your MF what is nice, you get the MSD's back at the end of lease.

So you save on a lease roughly $1500 on the total lease payments plus you get your full MSDs back, so it's a win win...

@flightnurse said:
    what are the residual rates for the TL, and MDX?

TL is 55-57% and MDX is 50-52% on a 36 month lease.

Both BMW and MB have what are called Multi Security Deposits. BMW has a max of 7 and
    MB has a max of 10. Basically what happens is for each MSD put down lowers your MF what
    is nice, you get the MSD's back at the end of lease.

The only drawback is the one doesn't have access to that money during the lease period should one have a need for it.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited January 2014

@robr2 said:
    The only drawback is the one doesn't have access to that money during the lease period should one have a need for it.

I see that someone on that forum calculated the investment return when he added 7 X $700 MSD, and it worked out to 19.3% return on his $4900 (total return for duration of his 24 month lease). That's at least as good as most people can earn in private conservative investment.

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181

Did you mean 1.93%? If you know where one can earn 19.3% in a conservative investment.......please share. Is Bernie back at it???

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    I see that someone on that forum calculated the investment return when he added 7 X $700 MSD, and it worked out to 19.3% return on his $4900 (total return for duration of his 24 month lease). That's at least as good as most people can earn in private conservative investment.

I read that as well. Putting $4900 down as a security deposit reduced the monthly payment by $40 a month. Over 24 months, the return was over 19%.

But I'm guessing those that can afford to tie up $5K for 2 years aren't stretching to buy a 328 for $300 a month.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Oh I don't know. There are some well to do people who are pretty tight with a buck. I have no idea how popular these MSDs are.

Good point - but I'll turn it around:

I'm guessing that those who are stretching to lease a 328 for $300 a month don't have $5K to tie up for 2 years.

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    Oh I don't know. There are some well to do people who are pretty tight with a buck. I have no idea how popular these MSDs are.

The really sad part is, BMW dealers don't talk about MSD's. I would assume those in the KNOW about them use them.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359

Thinking back about MSDs, I should have taken the equity from my Acura and paid as many MSDs as I could to both lower the payment and get the cash back at the end of the lease (September). Problem is that the dealer that I bought from (who gave me the best price for my 3er and my trade) is in NY, a state that does not allow the use of MSDs. Instead I used the equity plus my $500 BMWCCA rebate to pay up front fees (Acquisition, DMV...) plus my 1st 9 lease payments. If I would have bought the car where I live in CT, I could have paid MSDs up front. Who knows, they might not have given me as much for my trade and hit me with a $499 doc fee. Thinking about it now, that would have been a better use of the "free money." Now I know for next time:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@robr2

You are right, they might not have the $5K to lay out for MSDs, but they'll "put down" $2995 as a cap cost reduction not realizing that if their car gets stolen or totaled at any point during the lease they loose that money.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@nyccarguy I was not aware that MSDs were not allowed in NY.. In retrospect a deal in CT with the MSDs could have gotten you lower payments, but the sale price could have been more. We live and learn. What are you going to do when you 328i is up ?

edited January 2014

@MrShift@Edmunds said:

Agree. Many, many people that could simply write a check for one of these cars if they wanted to are in that position by taking advantage of saving money when possible. There is a difference between being frugal and being cheap. I would do that deal if I was into leasing for that kind of return in a heartbeat. I've got a pretty good chunk in money market funds that return much less than 1%, so letting someone hang onto my money for two years for a 19% return would make all kinds of sense.

@flightnurse

I do truly love the way my car drives. To put it simply, it is the car that I'll look to compare every other. It is the 1st, but don't think it will be the last E90 I own. I'm definitely not going to buy the lease out because the residual is too high and I'll have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 miles on it when the lease is up at the end of September. I'm going to go for something less expensive for the time being. I'll lease something like an Accord or Subaru Impreza 5 door and share it with my wife for 15K per year (when she drives the new car, I'll drive her Pilot or my Prelude when the weather is nice). Once my BMW lease is up, I'll only have 18 months left to pay off the Pilot. I might be able to pay the Pilot off a little earlier too. 1 car payment would be nice.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725

I've done MSDs twice... Once on a BMW and once on an Infiniti. Plenty of leasers are looking for the killer deal. Believe me, there is no way I'd be in the market for a $40K-$50K car, if I was buying it. (even if I could technically afford it). So, if I can knock a payment down from $430/mo. to $378/mo. using MSDs, you can bet that weighs heavily on whether to get that vehicle....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725

Not that I'd call it conservative... or even, likely repeatable... but, my portfolio was up 35% last year (as were most of those heavily invested in equity index funds).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited January 2014

Regarding the statements: " BMW probably does the most to subsidize their leases. I think Mercedes does, too." And: "I wouldn't call it subsidizes they have programs..."

Well, the truth of the matter is that BMW [among others] does provide "financial support" for leases made through their financial companies. This support is often (usually) called a "sub-vented lease."

Subventing makes leasing more attractive to the buyer who doesn't care so much about the MSRP of a given vehicle, but does care about the monthly payment. Either a purchase or a lease "deal" can be subvented -- but the real impact of subventing is going to be able to be much greater for a lease than a loan.

The best thing that can be done regarding a loan to buy a new car is that the interest rate charged can be set to zero (0% apr). This way a $36,000 car can be purchased and the payments determined by dividing $36,000 by the number of months that payments will be made. $36,000 divided by 36 months, then, equals DOH! a $1,000 per month payment.

I assume we could stretch the point and say that the manufacturer could offer a "loyalty" or "conquest" or even a "just because" bonus or rebate or discount of $1,000, making the amount financed be only $35,000, meaning the payment would be $35,000 divided by 36 months or $972.22/month.

A subvented lease, on the other hand, is where the mfg can really influence your "purchase" decision. Here's why.

When you lease a new car, the payment will be determined (generally speaking) by several things:

1.The % of value (residual value) that the car will have at the end of the lease

2.The money factor (think of it as the interest rate) that is used.

Roughly speaking you can calculate the lease payment (remember the word "roughly") by subtracting the residual value from the MSRP of the car to get your anticipated usage cost.

If the car is $36,000 and its residual is 50%, your usage over 36 months is $18,000. If you put money (out of your pocket) as what you might term a "down payment" you will reduce the amount of the "agreement" by that amount (this is called a capitalized cost reduction).

This "down payment" [in your mind] does not reduce the residual value of the car, meaning that if you decided to buy the car at the end of the lease the amount you will have to come up with will still be $18,000. Please, don't call any money down on a conventional (closed-end) lease a down payment and I won't either. It is a "cap cost reduction" -- and the purpose of this cap cost reduction is solely to reduce the monthly payment. You are NOT building up any value, post lease, whatsoever.

The money factor (or the implied cost of money -- or interest rate) is applied to recognize the value of the "time" you have the auto mfg's finance arm's money tied up.

Far more detailed explanations -- and explanations that are specific to your lease deal -- are available here on Edmunds and of course at your dealership.

The bottom line, however, is this: the auto manufacturer's financial outlet may offer a lease to you that has been subvented by the manufacturer. The subventing can take the form of:

• A reduction of the money factor -- including taking it to zero; or,
    • An increase of the residual % -- including taking it to a very optimistic % (+5% or even more) -- meaning the car will be said to be worth a much larger percentage of its brand new value than market conditions would likely support.

This manipulation of the residual cannot be done when the car is financed outright -- so perhaps you can see that a subvented lease could produce a very very low monthly payment if the mfg decides to reduce the money factor to zero or near zero and increases the residual value significantly over the expected depreciation.

Subvented leases often carry with them terms that are not as "friendly" to you as a straight buy with a loan or a lease that has not been subvented.

If the manufacturer says the residual is 62% after 36 months and the reality of the situation is that the 36 month value should only be 55%, you may not be able to get out of your lease early without a huge $ penalty (plus perhaps a standalone early termination fee or penalty).

If you buy and finance a car, you can sell or trade you car almost at any time and only pay the potential difference between the outstanding loan amount and the amount you can sell the car for. It may feel like a prepayment penalty, but the reality is that there will be no literal prepayment penalty (it is uncommon for an auto loan from a bank, for instance, to have a prepayment penalty -- if you want to get out of the loan, you can sell the car and give the proceeds to the bank plus a bit more out of your pocket or perhaps a check from the bank.)

So, leases give, leases take. Leases are sometimes of the very, very low payment variety -- meaning there is some subventing going on and suggesting that you'd better be prepared to not fall out of love with your new baby for "about 90%" of the lease's term. I say that because it is also common practice to put customers in 39 month leases and then around month 33 start to seduce "owners" into the showrooms with the promise of letting them out of their leases without penalties if they re-lease the new model.

BMW does have a reputation -- I assume well founded -- for "supporting" (subventing) leases. This can make getting into a $50,000 Bimmer "within reach." It also pretty much locks customers into the cycle of "lease, burn through the lease, and re-lease" again and again.

Nothing wrong with that for a lot of consumers. But not for all.

• If you want to keep your car 5 years or longer, you may not find leasing economics works for you;
    • If you drive more than 18,000 miles per year (and probably the message could be "more than 15,000 miles per year), you may not find leasing economics works for you (as your residual will likely drop sharply, meaning the monthly payment will rise sharply in response);
    • If you own a business, on the other hand, leasing may mean you can "expense your lease payment" to the company (with proper and available proof), which many would consider to be a good thing;
    • If you want to build equity in your car, well that is "highly" (or at least "fairly") unlikely in a leased car, but more likely in a car that you are making payments on to buy.

And the pros of leasing AND buying go on.

Neither my wife nor I had ever purchased a car, until late 2013 when we bought her '14 Audi SQ5 Prestige; we also lease a '14 Audi S4 (and are fully intending, 4 months into the lease, to buy the thing at the end of the lease -- and we put NO money down on the lease). This is a new experience for us and we keep rationalizing that -- at this time -- buying (for us) will likely turn out to be a better deal since we intend on keeping the cars more than 5 years.

So, my point in all that is above is this: Auto manufacturers DO indeed provide financial subsidies (i.e., named subvented lease programs). Multiple security deposits are NOT, strictly speaking, subsidies, however.

• DILYL :o

@nyccarguy said:
    robr2

You are right, they might not have the $5K to lay out for MSDs, but they'll "put down" $2995
    as a cap cost reduction not realizing that if their car gets stolen or totaled at any point during
    the lease they loose that money.

Don't forgot the MSD's are on top of the capital cost reduction. They can't get the $300 a month deal without the $2995 and they couldn't afford the $410 or so monthly lease without the CCR.

edited January 2014

I would NOT put any cap cost reduction money into this; I would, however, consider MSD's since you do get it back at the end of the lease -- cap cost reduction money is gone forever and even worse if the lease has no GAP coverage to account for the delta between value and owed (the gap between, so to speak) should the leased vehicle be totaled.

If you can or want to put money down on the lease and it gets you where you want to be, I have no issue with it. However, if you've got that money, I would assume you also can justify lighting your cigars with paper money instead of matches (wooden, of course).

Seriously, money to lower a lease payment is somewhat hard to justify these days. If $2,995 lowers the mo pay by $100 for 36 months, wouldn't it be acceptable to put the money in an account and know that at least you've got 30 of the next 36 payments (the $100 difference, that is) accounted for?

Let's not assume we know how better to spend someone else's money.

I've learned a lot from Edmunds and Audi World, etc; I used to think putting something toward the lease was at least OK. Now I think differently -- but that is certainly in part due to the participation of many folks here. I found my stupidity is incurable, I found my ignorance could be cured, however.

DILYL

@robr2

Right again!

@flightnurse

@markincincinnati brought up a great point about GAP insurance. It's automatically written into every auto leasing and financing contract in New York State. So there's another "if" that could have potentially cost me more money by leasing from a dealer here in Connecticut. Depending on the dealer, they charge $400 - $700 for this optional protection. So between the high doc fee, the GAP insurance, the possibility of being offered significantly less on the trade, and even a little more on the price of the car, maybe it would be a wash.

@markincincinnati

When I leased my BMW, the financing rate at 0.9% was significantly cheaper than the money factor I'm paying to lease (somewhere in the 4% range). Where I believe I'll come out ahead is in the end. According to my car's leasing contract, it will be worth around in the $28K range. According to "the auctions," my car with 50K miles will be worth much less.

@Bradd, I know I wouldn't pay 28K at the dealer for your car with 50K on it. And that would be a refreshed CPO. So certainly wouldn't be buying it out (as it sits) for that much!

@stickguy

Especially when there are cars very similar to mine with 1/2 the miles listed for $25K CPO.

@nyccarguy said:
    stickguy

Especially when there are cars very similar to mine with 1/2 the miles listed for $25K CPO.

well yeah, there is that too.

@robr2 said:
    Don't forgot the MSD's are on top of the capital cost reduction. They can't get the $300 a month deal without the $2995 and they couldn't afford the $410 or so monthly lease without the CCR.

The price shoppers will plunk down 3K to get that 50K car for 410/m but the people who really understand how it all works wouldn't do that. Lately BMW has been offering some "incentive cash." $750 for having BMSCCA account, $500 for being a USAA member, and currently BMW has $750 back on all 3 series. So right there you are talking $2250, this will cover fee's and first month payment, and a slight cap reduction (remember all this is ZERO out of pocket.) then add 7 MSDs, so basically you could just walk into the dealer, with $3500 and walk out with a payment of $540/m on that 50K car, and at the end of your lease get that $3500 back. Those 7 MSD's well save you roughly $50/m x 36 = $1800. So you could walk into and have a cap reduction that doesn't cost you a cent but helps to lower the payments slightly. When I did my deal on my 320, I was very temped to lease since BMW was giving me 2K built credit and 1K for my grad degree, a total of 3K, plus add $2400 for 7 MSDs, my payments would have been $280/m.

A few days back someone asked the question about buying a Chinese manufactured BMW or something like that. I replied that I wouldn't anytime in the foreseeable future. This is one of the reasons why:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/05/aston-martin-recalling-majority-of-cars-built-since-late-2007-ov/

@m6user said:
    A few days back someone asked the question about buying a Chinese manufactured BMW or something like that. I replied that I wouldn't anytime in the foreseeable future. This is one of the reasons why:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/05/aston-martin-recalling-majority-of-cars-built-since-late-2007-ov/

Besides that, if you have ever seen a Chinese car up close you would have another reason not to buy.. I think it was 2009 I went to the North American Autoshow in Detroit, It's a must show to see, the Chinese were showing off cars for the first time. It was so hard to look at the car without laughing. The paint jobs on the cars were horrible, orange peel all over the car, the fit and finish was really bad, the gaps in body panels were worse then the late 60's and early 70's GM cars. The designs were blatantly stolen from other car manufactures. One car company had a rip off MB SLK, It was scary to see...