Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru CVT vs 5 speed manual?

vseth96vseth96 Member Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in Subaru

Planning on buying an Impreza soon. Was at first thinking about the manual, but then saw that the mpg for stick was 2 miles less than that of CVT. Is the sacrifice in mpg worth the manual transmission?

Comments

• Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    edited January 2014

That's a really personal call. I enjoy driving manuals, so it was a no brainer for me. With a manual, you control the gearing and power range of the engine. This is a 2.0 litre engine, compared to my previous car (2000 Subaru Legacy 2.5 litre engine) in some situations I need to downshift. With the Legacy I could be lazy and lug the engine a bit. I've gained 5 mpg in the same driving conditions with my Impreza.

I suggest you test drive both. I posted my observations in the "Subaru Crew - Meet the Members" forum in October 2013 [two posts]. In those posts the ’ in the middle between letters was an apostrophe.

The CVT is $1000 higher, if you drive 20,000 miles/year you break even in six years (based on $3.50/gal). Breakeven is faster if the price goes up.

"Is the sacrifice in mpg worth the manual transmission?" For me, ABSOLUTELY! YMMV

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

@jfl, I went back and fixed those posts; quite a few of those "codes" got inserted when the forum software was imported. Usually they were in news article quotes - maybe you composed in Word or something and pasted them in. Here's the link for the first one. If I missed another one to edit let me know (I'm a bit OCD too, lol).

• Options

Wow Stever! Thanks for fixing those. Yup, I composed those in Word and pasted.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2014

NP, Word’s “codes” are just "different".

Not sure why the import failed on some of these older posts when we moved to the new forum software, but you can now compose in Word and paste here and it works. If you squint, you can see that I pasted the first sentence from Word and the apostrophe and quotes are curlier.

Guess we could edit the post title too - Subaru is now using a six speed manual eh?

• Options

"Subaru is now using a six speed manual eh?"

Not on the 2013 & 2014 Impreza. I was willing to pay extra for a six speed! They probably needed to keep it a 5-speed to differentiate between product lines.