Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• I suspect that if you talk to the factory rep and have some kind of documentation for your maintneance, they will cover part of the cost for you. The other alternative is to looked for a totaled vehicle and take the engine out.
  • I'll second the vote of confidence in Marchant Chevrolet. We bought our 2001 Suburban there in November 2000, when no dealer here in Florida was discounting the Suburban. Even with the cost of an Amtrak ride from Orlando to Charleston, we still ended up saving about $1k.
    Great people to deal with.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Nice looking B&W driveway ornaments there! And with two burbs you could transport the school band, never mind the team!
  • stakeoutstakeout Posts: 173
    seems like this board got quiet all of a sudden.. no messages for a week.. what's going on
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    seems like this board got quiet all of a sudden.. no messages for a week.. what's going on

I think they are all putting winter air in their tires and rotating the dome lights in preparation for the changing seasons! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Why is it that car salesman continue to reinforce my negative opinion of their profession. Today I walked out of my second GM dealership after ripping up my credit release. I was ready to buy an '02 Yukon XL that they had as a demo. Price was advertised at 10K under MSRP. Then came all the small print. Oh there was a $400 credit in that price that I did not qualify for. The salesman told me I could get it for 0% and 60 months, then his boss walks in and says that Yukons do not qualify for that--their ad in the paper very clearly in big letters says 0% for 60 months, right next to the 2002 Yukon ad. Fine print says on selected models and the sales manager says it only applies to Pontiacs. I am so pissed, I know the vehicle I want and I expect a good deal on 2002 models, why do they all think they can jerk us around so. Where are all the good car salesman that value repeat business you'd think more of them would treat you right the first time.

Miffed in VA
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,851
    You need to find someone like Cherokeelmt!

cherokeelmt "Jeep Cherokee" Oct 5, 2002 10:49pm

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I'm looking for a Suburban 03 LT fully loaded 1SM with everything... Sunroof etc.

#1) Can anyone recomend a dealer in South Florida?

#2) It will have to be factory ordered... how long does this take?

#3) I was told that I can't use any incentives now until the suburban gets in. That doesn't seem fair...as a consuemr it's not my fault that a fully loaded one is not available. They should be able to give me whatever incentives are now for when I actually am able to drive the car of the lot. Right?
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    I believe they are correct. But, once they have a VIN #, you can take official delivery before the vehicle arrives if necessary to take advantage of an expiring incentive. On the other hand, the incentives could be better at the time of delivery 9which is what happened to me).
  • k2riderk2rider Posts: 21
    There was somebody talking about a dealer in one of the Carolinas that sells ALL vehicles for $98 over invoice. It's probably worth the drive from Florida for that price. I checked out the companies website and their prices were awesome.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Posts: 872
    Don't forget the power adjusting brake and gas pedals and Quadrasteer!!!!!
  • i have a problem with my 99 suburban that has gone on for a year now and we have had it to various dealers and spent over $1500 and many hours of headaches. the car will run great most of the time but will occasionally just not start and if i wait 15 minutes it will start again with no problem. it seems to happen about every 1500 miles (i put 500/week on it and have 65000 total) i recently had the fuel pump replaced before a vacation only to have it happen again within the month. it may not seem like a big deal but i have blocked fire lanes at my kids school, the gas pump at sam's and been late for several meetings due to this problem. by the time a tow truck arrives it starts. i've even broken down across from a mechanic and by the time i explain the problem and he comes to check it out -it starts. what should i let my mechanic try?
    thanks!
    tam
  • Starter motor won't start due to excessive heat. Cools down and it's OK.

Have the mechanic look at the starter.
  • I did not see the exact sympton you are experiencing. The hot starter makes sense if it only occurs during restarts. When it does not start, is it turning over and not firing? If it is turning over it could be your passkey system. My first full size GM SUV was a 2000 so I am not sure on this. Assuming the 99 had a passkey system your description could point to that. When you try several times and the sensor is not seeing the key it hits a counter with only a few trys. That counter has a 10 or 15 minute reset timer during which no efforts will start the vehicle. After that timer (i.e. waiting for a tow truck) the next effort may be satisfying the theft deterrent system. I would have someone look at this as a possible cause. Hope this helps, Lee
    If you can crank the engine and it won't start it is 95% of the time an ignition module under the distributor cap. It will progressively get worse to the point where every time you shut the truck off you will have to wait 15-20 minutes before it will run again. It is a phantom problem that only pops up with heat soak, in plain English when you shut off the engine the water stops moving and the engine temp creeps up to a level higher than normal operating temp, the extra heat causes a little part in the module, probably a bad solder joint, to disconnect and you lose spark, when it cools off it re connects and your rolling again. I have changed about 30 of them in the past 2 years with the same exact problem, none of them ever had the problem again. It is a relatively cheap part and a really quick swap, so you should be able to wait while the mechanic fixes it. Auto Zone sells the part for $65. Just make sure to use the heat conductive grease to transfer the heat from the module during normal operation.
  • wkohlerwkohler Posts: 74
    I had a 97 Suburban with the exact same problem. The final stage came when I was visiting my brother in Georgia. I had the vehicle trailered to a GM dealership in Bogart, Ga, who said my battery was faulty. I was suprised at that, as I had checked the battery and terminals on other occasions when this happened. However, they changed the battery, cleaned the cables, and didn't have a problem after that. I kept the vehicle for over a year after changing the battery, experienced no other problems, then traded it in on a 99 Suburban. Sometimes the simplest things are overlooked!
  • Have the exact same problem in my 1993 Suburban. Its a bad starter. I bought the truck used and replaced it once because of the same problem...20,000 miles later it has started...or rather not... again. If you're in a bind and you really need to get going you bang on the starter while someone else turns the key. I always carry a hammer in the cargo area just in case. Can't wait til my 2003 Z71 comes in.
  • Does anyone know if the 2003 YXL had a significant price increase over the 2002 MSRP?
    If you equip them the same the 2003 model is around 2% higher. Now if you add on the new options like Bose radio and stuff like that the gap widens dramatically, Quadrasteer is a $4000 option!!!
  • ralskaralska Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Yukon XLT - the carpet/floor by the 2nd row passenger seat is constantly soaked! I have dropped it off twice with the dealer/service dept. and the problem is still not fixed. They told me it was missing a weather strip but my neighbor says it sounds more like the condensation from the AC. My neighbor's idea sounds more realistic b/c it hardly rains where I live - therefore weather stripping would not cause the carpet to be soaked. I'm tired of dealing with the dealer. Has anyone had this same problem?
  • jonkaojonkao Posts: 12
    I just got my 2003 Yukon XL and it is very comfortable. Traded in a 1997 GMC Suburban for this new one. It's definitely added tons of improvements and features.

I would like to replace the stock tires (Firestone Wilderness LE 265/70R16) with Michelin LTX A/T 265/75R16 tires. Does anyone know if the tires will get in contact with the structure when the steering wheel is turned to the extreme.

Your information will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jon
  • bwilletbwillet Posts: 11
    My 2000 Grand Prix had the same problem - the AC drain hose was plugged. You can probably fix it yourself if you are comfortable digging around back behind the passenger dash.
    Check out Michlien CrossTerrains. I have them on mine and love them. I would get H speed rated, if they are available (better heat dissapation and handling).
  • jonkaojonkao Posts: 12
    Cross Terrain tires do look attractive. It's got favorable reviews from http://www.tirerack.com

I used to use LTX A/T and M/S for my 1997 Sub. maybe I will try CrossTerrain this time.

What size of the tires do you use?

Thank you.

I have a Yukon XL Denali and it came with the tirs on 17" rims, so the size you would use would be different. I would probably go with the 265 width that come on most of these vehicles. You could go wider if you want. I would check with Tire Rack and see what sizes they recommend.
  • I recently purchased a 94 Suburban. The truck did not come with a owners manual which I am trying to get now. Can anyone tell me the tire pressures for the stock size tires? the sticker on my door jamb is fadded so bad I can't read it.
  • wkohlerwkohler Posts: 74
    You didn't mention what side of the vehicle was causing problems, but you're going to have to scroll back quite a way in the messages. There was a problem with wet carpeting that GM recognized and applied a fix to. If I recall, the right rear wheel well wasn't sealed properly allowing water to seep in and cause the carpeting to get wet.
  • xyz71xyz71 Posts: 179
    You will not have any problems changing from a 265 70 16 up to 265 75 16.

I looked at making the same change on a Tahoe, but with only 12K miles I think I will wait a while.

Even though both tires have the same section width at 10.7 inches - the Firestone 265 70 16 have a wider tread width, maybe 1/2 inch difference.

The Michelins are taller - 31.9 inches VS 30.6. Revs per mile are 657 VS 681. So your speedo will only be off by 3.5%.

I have 285 75 16's A/T's on my 1999 Silverado Z-71 - I plan to swap the 285's from the PU to the Tahoe (wheels and all) - for a trip this winter - I can't imagine driving the Firestones in the snow.
    Ok several things could cause the problem. GM did release a service bulliten on this issue, it says to replace the lower door weather strip. If you take the truck to the car wash a lot that could cause it. It could also be a disconnected sunroof drain in the pillar. The A/C unit for the rear A/C is in the far rear right by the cargo door, so unless the capet is in the cargo area that is probably no the issue. If it is then check the drain under th right rear quarter panel behind the rear tire. The lines are run under the floor so the condensation from the lines would not be inside the truck at all.

Here is the TSB number and description-Front Floor Carpet Wet/Musty Odor (Replace Rear Door Water Deflector) #01-08-64-001A

If that fails try another dealer, they are not all equal!!!
  • what is the latest with regard to tire wear both of my two front tires are wearing out inside is there any updates since July 2002 thanks