Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toy, Model & Collectible Replica Cars

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097

Speaking of small scale model cars from the old car thread, I have 7 of these tiny fintails. I am not sure what scale they are, but they are small - the black fintail is HO scale, and it towers over the smaller one.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    edited January 2014

Looks like it's about half HO, or half half O...
    So if HO is 1:87, it's something like 1:175.

Maybe close to N scale, 1:148.
    Measure its length and divide it into your fin's length, that'll give you the actual scale.

Looks like it might be N, yep

For a buck, I might get a few more.

@texases said:
    Maybe close to N scale, 1:148.
    Measure its length and divide it into your fin's length, that'll give you the actual scale.

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261

@fintail said:
    Speaking of small scale model cars from the old car thread, I have 7 of these tiny fintails. I am not sure what scale they are, but they are small - the black fintail is HO scale, and it towers over the smaller one.

Now all you need is a couple more of those HO scale fintails along with an HO scale Aston-Martin DB5 and you can recreate the chase scene from Goldfinger on you train set! :P

edited January 2014

That would be cool, but IIRC the Goldfinger cars were Pontons. MBs were the usually the bad guy cars in cold war era movies though, fintails in some of them.

Notable fintail in a Bond film was the car driven by Telly Savalas' gang in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", which gets tangled up in an ice race after a nice chase, gets rolled gently, and of course catches fire:

Edit: looks like there's a model of it (there's a model of the Aston and Cougar also seen in OHMMSS)

@lemko said:

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

A bit off-topic but I want it.

I'd even visit a Ford dealer to play it. :-)

Edmunds, Ford Dealers First to Test-Drive 2015 Mustang. Pinball, That Is

• jordan40jordan40 Member Posts: 109

i have tons of 1/18 scale model cars. and 1/24 scale cars

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,056

I wonder if those are actually the cars that go in the display, although I see they are numbered. I'm (pleasantly) surprised the Wagonaire is still in there, two years after there were no more Studebaker cars. I had the maroonish '64 Pontiac I see in the display.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    edited February 2014

I am pretty certain the cars are original to the display, they are all period correct. The Studebaker remained in production until around 1969, and the Pontiac through 1970-71, I think (it eventually became purple).

@uplanderguy said:
    I wonder if those are actually the cars that go in the display,

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516

That seems like not a bad deal for the shelf and all the cars in it. I saw a TV episode recently of Extreme Collectors and there was a guy whose entire basement was filled with die cast cars, including a Matchbox store display. I forgot what they valued the collection at but it was few hundred thousand dollars I think.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

edited February 2014

The current bid is a good price, I'd say real world value is 1500-2000. The cars aren't worth a lot, most no more than $20 apiece as they lack boxes - but the display is worth several hundred. Earlier displays are worth more, one from 1960 rather than 1968 would be worth twice as much.

Among the most insane are the USA-only "presentation sets" from 1957-58. The outer box is the key - the cars themselves might average $100 apiece on a good day, but a set in the box is worth maybe $5K or more. Original cost - $4.

Some rare color cars can be worth 5-10K, too.

edited February 2014

'worth 5-10k, too.'

At those prices are counterfits becoming a problem? Repaints of less desirable models? Making one from scratch? Printing boxes?

Yes, fakes are an issue. Especially with rare colors - although usually the rare color will have a specific casting detail etc that the faker doesn't know, so the obsessive experts can point them out. Faking boxes is more difficult, fools new collectors, but the paper seems impossible to duplicate.

The 1968 display with cars brought $2225, not bad. Quality old toys have fared better than many collectibles in the market.

Wow, that's a lot. I wonder if current Maisto die casts will be worth anything. My son has a ton of them now.

I suspect few modern diecast will appreciate much, unless they are some really weird rare variety or edition. For comparison, those neat Bburago cars that I had in the 80s, and I know you did too, are still not worth much even if mint in box. Almost all late 90s-present Hot Wheels and Matchbox is worth less now than when new, due to middle aged hoarder types buying it all and putting it away - but nobody wants it when they sell.

Yep, collectables aren't. Only when they weren't, are they now...

Exactly. If it says "collectible", it won't be. Anyone who bought collector plates or gold leaf postage stamp covers learned the hard way.

There's a huge glut of modern diecast out there, especially Hot Wheels - they can be bought for a fraction of new price 10-15 years ago.

@texases said:
    Yep, collectables aren't. Only when they weren't, are they now...

Easier just to buy stuff you want to play with and collect the memories.

That's why I just let my 4 year old play with most of my die cast. He's into the taking it apart phase now, as he's curious of what's inside and how they're put together. That and he likes watching crach test clips on YouTube with me. I thought about buying him a vintage "Incredible Crash Dummies" set but those are pretty pricey on Ebay.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

I let my son play with some of my cars, but even then he was never te type of kid who destroyed things. Even the cars he played with look almost new.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

This was my one and only shot at building a diorama; I used a limited edition 1/87 scale kit from Faller. I added the base, foliage, and additional Herpa vehicles(the kit came with a couple as well. All three buildings are lighted and the turntables in the showroom rotate as well.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Neat. I like 1:87 buildings and cars. I have maybe a couple dozen HO cars, gotta limit the hoard.

A couple years ago, I bought a couple old Matchbox from a train guy, and he gave me this vintage 1:87 gas station - a good place for parking my 1:87 fintails:

He had a bunch of other vintage plastic HO buildings, also of German origin, that I could have bought for nothing, but I really had no use for them. I probably should have got them anyway.

Nice! Faller also produced a Mercedes dealership a few years ago; haven't seen one for sale recently, however.

I remember that MB dealer, I think it used the same hexagonal building as the BMW dealer you have, but multi levels, and very elaborate.

Germans are into scale models - any good toy shop will have a big selection of HO vehicles and buildings. Much of it is for model railroading, which remains big there - but some collect the cars, too.

Speaking of Herpa, back in the 90s I bought a Herpa W140. I still have it, sitting in its box on a shelf, something like this. Amazing detail for 1:87

That's a nice W140. I picked up a Herpa Audi A8 for 25 cents from my buddy's toy stand at a Robot/Transformer toy swap meet. At another table I picked up a bunch of mint vintage hotwheels (no boxes) for a couple of bucks. Including one old Hot Wheels crackup (like in the photo except white)

It was in decent shape until my son and I started crashing it lol.

Visiting my sister this week and noticed she has a 1970 Matchbox MINI on her dresser. Pretty beat up. Let me know if it's worth anything and I'll take a pic of it before sneaking it into my briefcase. :D

I remember crack-ups, but I think I only had one, which was kind of a police car based on what looked like a mid 80s DeVille. Long gone. 80s Hot Wheels are usually worth a few bucks apiece if they are nice - the line with rubber tires can be worth more.

A ~1970 Matchbox mini in average beat up condition might be worth $1 to the right person :)

Here's a collection of really nice fintails for ya!

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    Visiting my sister this week and noticed she has a 1970 Matchbox MINI on her dresser. Pretty beat up. Let me know if it's worth anything and I'll take a pic of it before sneaking it into my briefcase. :D

I have one as well, a red one. Don't think they're worth much in rough shape. Maybe a buck or two?

@fintail, lol, knowing my sister, I bet she paid $10 for it.

I've seen a few of those, all ~1:43 releases in the past 5 years or so. Waiting for one to be released in my color.

@lemko said:
    Here's a collection of really nice fintails for ya!

Look what I stumbled upon! Me like!

That is pretty amazing! And they actually made it a Bel Air instead of an Impala which would probably have been easier.

Whoops--looks like Impala seat upholstery. ;)

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

What is that taxi, around a 74?

@berri said:
    What is that taxi, around a 74?

1973 Chevrolet Bel Air.

Looks like the taxi is available as a normal car, too

edited March 2014

Yep, Impala interior, but still...pretty impressive. I always thought this angle of those cars showed what a modern style it was, despite its massive size. I always thought the '74 Dodge Monaco was modeled after these Chevys--maybe that's why I liked the '74's more than the previous few years of big Dodges! Both have peaked front fenders and the windshield, A pillars and rear door cutouts are very close.

Holy Smoke! This kid looks like he's driving my Brougham! The car seems to be the right color and it even has the wreath trim around the door lock like my ride!

"Matchbox collectable cars are promoted in this award winning print advertising campaign featuring young drivers in the Cadillac Fleetwood, Ford Mustang and Cadillac Eldorado. Click on the images below to see larger copies designed for outdoor advertising."

You said you were young when you bought that Caddy....

Funny. I read that ad campaign is by a German firm of all things - but as many Germans do like old American barges, I can see it. Maybe Matchbox will make a model of a Fleetwood from that era - the company has made a few really nice Cadillac models over the years.

edited September 2014
    Went to the local "Mexican" flea market today and saw one booth with lots of beat up Matchbook and off-brand cars. Lots of old chrome car logos at another booth. The carne asada was sold out though. :'(
    Bunch of Mini Coopers.
    Seller probably has 2-3x that into them. Modern material is usually a bad investment.
    stever said:

Bunch of Mini Coopers.

Probably just enjoyed collecting them until their real MINI broke their bank account. B)
    Few cars i built out of Legos for my son: VW Vanagon with a flat 4 cylinder engine mounted in the rear connected to a working diff; and a Jeep Wrangler, also with a 4 cylinder engine (I only have a 4 cylinder block from Technic), with a driveshaft connected to a working diff.

Wow, the Vanagon is pretty cool
    edited February 2015

Thanks Fintail, it took us (me) forever to build it. Like several weeks. When building these vehicles out of imagination it's a bit of an engineering project. First we buitl the chassis, including functioning steering, and a true rear mounted flat 4 cylinder engine with the little Technic pistons that moved. The engine was connected to a rear diff.

It had moving and reclining front seats, working steering, with a secondary steering shaft coming up through the roof so that it could be steered from the top, a shifter with rubber band resistance (not connected to anything), and an opening in the cargo area so that the engine could be seen.

The chassis was ok until I started building the body which made everything sag like crazy so I had to reinforce the suspension several times because the thing weighed about 4-5 pounds after it was all finished.

I have more fun building them than actually playing with them. My son plays with them and then we tear it apart and build something else.
    VW3.JPG 515.5K