Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited January 2014

28 minute video explaining the engineering behind the new '15 WRX. Lots of interesting info here. The person speaking is Todd Hill. He's the WRX line manager at SOA.

Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUOtkxoUus0&feature=sharenoembed&list=UU6S0jAvcapqJ48ZzLfva12g

edited January 2014

New Legacy to debut at Chicago car show on Feb. 6.

http://www.media.subaru.com/newsrelease.do?id=565&mid=1

Bob

edited February 2014

New '15 Legacy images leaked ahead of debut. This appears to be a 2.5 Limited with Eyesight.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/02/2015-subaru-legacy-photos-spill-on-web.html

http://jalopnik.com/2015-subaru-legacy-this-is-it-1515654459

Hope they will bring back the sportier GT model. Will find out Thursday.

Bob

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790

I am decidedly underwhelmed, but I am not surprised at all. It is a little easier on the eyes, at least.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • rblnrrblnr Member Posts: 124
    edited February 2014

Yeah, no surprise. One of the renders I saw was much nicer. Oh well, Subaru's doing well and not because people are buying them for their looks. At least they got rid of the giant wheel arches which were garish and destroyed any front to back fluidity. I see some Accord (character line primarily) w/a snout, though the roofline is a bit nicer. Maybe it'll look better in person, I'm told the WRX does and the Impreza hatch has grown on me a tiny bit now that I see them around.

Still think they need to separate the Outback and Legacy more -- very different customers being forced to share a lot of the same body panels.

• jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396

So...instead of the one bar grill giving a sleek lower nose, they go with the three bar grill reminiscent of big full sized sedans.

The low CG flat engine that allows you to lower the entire hood line is now covered with a high hood like all the competitors.

Glad I got my Impreza 5-door 'cuz this would NOT have replaced my 2000 Legacy sedan!

edited February 2014

@jfl said:
    So...instead of the one bar grill giving a sleek lower nose, they go with the three bar grill reminiscent of big full sized sedans.

The low CG flat engine that allows you to lower the entire hood line is now covered with a high hood like all the competitors.

Glad I got my Impreza 5-door 'cuz this would NOT have replaced my 2000 Legacy sedan!

Most cars in this market segment have a large frontal area. I don't mind it. I'm far more interested in the specs, trim levels and model content. Will find that out tomorrow at their Chicago car show press announcement.

Also, Subaru has a second press announcement on Friday. Wonder if they'll debut the new Outback then?

Bob

edited February 2014

Info on new Legacy.

http://www.media.subaru.com/newsrelease.do?id=567&mid=1

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/06/2015-subaru-legacy-chicago-2014/

Short story:

2.5 and 3.6 engines slightly upgraded over last year's. No DI.

CVTs across the board. No more manual tranny. H6 gets high-torque CVT.

Torque vectoring like that found on new WRX.

Car is slightly longer than old model and with more room inside.

Infotainment vastly improved.

Rear seat heaters

Upgraded Eyesight

Bob

edited February 2014

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567

Is Subaru now a division of Ford? Looks like they simply put a Subaru badge on a Ford Taurus.

• miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246

Greetings Crew!

Disappointed Subaru dropped 6MT from the Legacy; ditto for the Outback? I had planned on replacing a MY00 Legacy GT wagon with an Outback in '15. Maybe I should gobble up a 6MT MY14 Outback while I can, assuming I can find one.

Fortunately, both boys learned stick on MY00.

..Mike

..Mike

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2014
    edited February 2014

@miksmi said:
    Greetings Crew!

Disappointed Subaru dropped 6MT from the Legacy; ditto for the Outback? I had planned on replacing a MY00 Legacy GT wagon with an Outback in '15. Maybe I should gobble up a 6MT MY14 Outback while I can, assuming I can find one.

Fortunately, both boys learned stick on MY00.

..Mike

Hi Mike! It's been a while—too long!

Good luck finding a manual anything! Then there's always a WRX. ;) Write ups have been fantastic on the new '15 model.

Bob

@rsholland said:
    Then there's always a WRX. Write ups have been fantastic on the new '15 model.

But ... no '15 WRX hatch or wagon. :(

@dcm61 said:
    But ... no '15 WRX hatch or wagon. :(

Yeah, a real bummer. :(

Bob

• saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    @dcm61 said: But ... no '15 WRX hatch or wagon. :(

Yeah, a real bummer. :(

The 2014 Forester XT is close to what a WRX wagon would be: Same engine,Same brakes and unfortunately just as hard a ride :(

I find it hard to believe that Subaru would give up the WRX hatch market. Perhaps they'll launch it next year since they've launched the WRX and Legacy already this year, that would keep them in the news for 2016.

@jfl said:
    I find it hard to believe that Subaru would give up the WRX hatch market. Perhaps they'll launch it next year since they've launched the WRX and Legacy already this year, that would keep them in the news for 2016.

I'm hoping they bring over the new 2.0 Levorg sport wagon. It's based on the WRX, but is more luxurious. Think of it being a WRX but with Legacy-like comfort and features.

Bob

Canadian '15 Legacy still has a 6-speed manual tranny available.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1302359/subaru-canada-introduces-all-new-2015-legacy

Bob

I've been curious about the base engine in the Levorg. It's a 1.6L turbo but only puts out 170 hp, which led me to wonder if it's FB-based rather than FA-based. Turns out it is FB-based, as this PDF notes that.

http://www.subaru.jp/levorg/levorg/spec/pdf/levorg_specifications.pdf

I think this engine has a lot of potential as a base engine, or as a mid-level engine option. The FB16 DIT, as it currently stands, puts out power that's comparible to that of the non-turbo FB25, yet gets better gas mileage. Plus it's designed on regular gas.

Using my calculator, if you scale up this engine to 2.0 or 2.5 the horsepower increases to 212 (2.0) and 265 (2.5). A 212 hp FB20 DIT would be perfect as an option in Subies sold here. You would get good power and have excellent gas mileage as well.

Hope SOA is thinking alone these lines too.

Bob

• jd_24jd_24 Member Posts: 92

Gee a plug-in diesel! That sounds entirely feasible for Subaru to bring to the NA market! (Note sarcasm here).

I do like some of the design cues, which mean that none of them will actually see production, but those rear doors! Wow. That is what modern "SUV" replacements for minivans really need (and I'm serious): Better access to the "kid zone" portion of the vehicle.

2015 Outback teaser.

"Subaru confirms new Outback to debut in New York"- http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/03/subaru-outback-new-york-teaser-official/

edited April 2014

Pic I saw of the Outback actually looks good. Looks too like they may have clear 'outdoorsy' vs 'urban' trim lines

And yeah, a diesel electric engine would be awesome but unfortunately unlikely here though I think as diesel gets marketed more and more here -- loving my Jeep diesel btw which replaced my Tribeca -- they may be willing to at least follow the trend.

edited April 2014

Ah! It is such an improvement over the outgoing model! Nice! Still a bit bulbous-looking, but quite a step forward. Kudos, Subaru (I almost thought I'd never say that again!).

Sadly, the current model is going to look quite dated as soon as these hit the street. At least that's not the case for the prior-gen Forester! :p

edited April 2014

@xwesx said:
    Ah! It is such an improvement over the outgoing model! Nice! Still a bit bulbous-looking, but quite a step forward. Kudos, Subaru (I almost thought I'd never say that again!).
    :p

Yeah, who woulda guessed! Actually a little sleek and like it's supposed to move forward.

As my favorite line in 'Ratoutille' goes, I don't have to muscle thru the gag reflex to get to the good qualities of it

I was at the debut yesterday. The car looks very good. Sat in it, the new Legacy and STI.

The Outback gets X-Mode (introduced on the new Forester) and maintains current tow ratings. It really is handsome in the flesh; Legacy too. The Outback on display is the H6 Limited, and the Legacy is the H4 Limited.

Did I read correctly...Outback only gets CVT and no manual tranny?

@jfl said:
    Did I read correctly...Outback only gets CVT and no manual tranny?

Yes. No manual transmission for either the new Legacy or Outback. 6-cylinder models get a high-torque CVT. There is simply not enough demand for a manual transmission for Subaru to offer it here in the USA. A manual is still available in Canada.

Bob

Any clue why Subaru changed the oil change interval from 7500 mi. to 6000 mi. for 2015 models?

With better oil and the fact synthetic is now required, I would have expected an increase in the OCI, rather than a decrease.

That is a bit odd.

I agree that it's odd.

In fact, I just purchased a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 which assures protection to 15k miles between changes. It was the same price as regular Mobil 1 (which was out of stock in 0w-20.) They're coming out with waaay too many variations for a basic product like motor oil!

I wonder if this is for all models or just the "turbo" ones?

@stever said:
    I wonder if this is for all models or just the "turbo" ones?

From what I've read, it's all 2015 Subarus.

edited April 2015
    Nice upgrades for the 2016 WRX and STI. The upgraded nav/infotainment that the Legacy, Outback, Impreza and Crosstrek got; is now available. This unit is long, long overdue—but worth it. 18" wheels now on WRX Premium and Limited. Limited with CVT gets the Eyesight option; other stuff too.

STI Limited gets low-wing model.

http://www.media.subaru.com/newsrelease.do?id=745&mid=1
    Cool stuff. Seems a little odd to me that people who want cars like these would *also* want things like Eyesight. That's just a priority oxymoron.
    Wanting cars like these doesn't mean they know how to drive cars like these.
    Well said. Hey, being a conduit for the used car market is an important niche! B)
    xwesx said:

Cool stuff. Seems a little odd to me that people who want cars like these would *also* want things like Eyesight. That's just a priority oxymoron.

Those features hold a great deal of interest with me—especially in a WRX.
    I posted this article in another thread, but noticed an interesting tidbit that pertains to future models.
    subaru-sells-out-will-a-fast-growing-carmaker-decide-to-stay-small

"Subaru relies on 2 platforms for 99 percent of its U.S. sales, which cuts costs and development time." Nothing we didn't already know.

"In 2016, it will move to a single platform for all its vehicles." Huh??? MY2016 are all using the current platforms.

In reality, isn't the Impreza platform a modified Legacy platform?

New Crosstrek concept debuts at Geneva. Production version should arrive next fall.

http://www.subaru-global.com/ms2016/geneva/
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    The '17 Foresters are shipping! Almost impossible to get the XT Touring with Eyesight (even a custom built order kept getting bumped into future), so I got second best XT Touring model (still has blind spot and rear detection).
    The '17, compared to the '14, has much less engine noise (but still obvious road noise), few rattles/squeaks (dash is much tighter), a less edgy ride, and more comfortable seats than the '14 Touring. New Starlink radio takes getting used to (scrolling down FM or other radio bands isn't easy) and has fewer sound EQ/balance options than the '14 model. Harmon Kardon sound's good but upper-bass heavy. There's a lot of gloss trim and piano black in the cabin and chrome trim along the lower sill plates. You can now get chocolate brown seats in some of the XT's: complements crystal white exterior very well.
    Nice. Keep us posted as to how it goes. I'm waiting another year, as I want CarPlay in my next ride.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    edited August 2016
    Interesting quirk in the '17 models: product manuals claim upscale HK audio systems have multiband EQ with saveable presets. Not so: both top level Forester and Outback HK systems now have 3 band EQ with __no__ saveable presets. Looks like Subaru decided to pinch a few '17 pennies. :'(
    Saw new Forester and Outback 2.0L Boxer Diesels with 6 speed manuals today in the showroom. :)

Too bad they were in Northern Ireland. :(