Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

@explorerx4 said: I can't make/receive any calls with it. I paid 99 cents for it, so I'm guessing it was refurbished and I'll have just spend the cash to get a current one

That's almost as bad as me. We were in a small town on the west coast and a guy comes up and says he needs $20 because he ran out of gas, but, he will give me his cell phone to hang onto, and he will bring the $20 back to the hotel and leave it at the desk...with our room number.

Well, of course, he never showed up, and when I went to use the cell phone it didn't work at all...it was one he probably paid 99 cents for to make $20....not a bad profit.

Looking back, I should have tried the phone...but, I didn't think someone could be that low, but I guess if people are desparate they'll even pull off a stupid scam like that.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited February 2014

@abacomike said:
    graphicguy said:

Mike...thanks for that breakdown.

I know servicing my BMWs didn't cost me anything (at least not in the traditional sense). And, I do have to give my local BMW dealer credit, there was nothing too small that I would bring the car in for that they wouldn't remedy. For example, one visit, the belt I wore on my jeans left a dye mark on the seats where I entered and exited the car. Probably because my belt was cheap, but I guess it could be because the seat had a reaction to the belt. They could have tried cleaning it. They could have said it was normal "wear and tear". They could have said it was my fault for wearing cheap belts. They could have just ignored it. Anyway, they saw it and replaced the entire seat cover. I had only casually mentioned it.

Another example....my BMW came with the "cradle" that allowed my car to just insert my iPhone into the center armrest to charge it, increase antenna signal strength and to give added capabilities to the iDrive. The first summer I had the car, I forgot and left the phone in the car, seated in the cradle. It was particularly hot that day. A few hours later, I came out to the car and my iPhone was fried. It could have been that I left it in the car when the interior of the car probably got up to more than 110º. I mentioned it to my dealer. They could have said it was my fault for leaving the phone in the car. They could have told me to complain to Apple. It's not like Apple hasn't had any serious battery issues with iPhones (a recent report had one catching on fire in a teen's pocket). Instead, they bought me an entirely new iPhone. If you aren't on a 2 year contract where the iPhone is subsidized, they paid full boat for it, to the tune of about ~$700, or so.

Not sure if it was my dealer's commitment to customer service, BMW's commitment, probably both. I felt they bent over backwards to make me happy, though.

I do indeed miss that kind of customer service, particularly given my recent Audi experiences. I'm sure your Benz dealer would do the same.

Maybe that's why it costs $300 for an oil change and a visual inspection.

I'm taking my TL in for an oil change next week. Combine it with a tire rotation and a visual inspection, I'll probably be all in at around $70. Probably could save a couple of bucks if I took it to the Honda dealership a ½ block away, if I really wanted to be chintzy.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

@jmonroe said:Now I'm the picky eater...I don't want mooses walking through my yogurt!

Just be thankful it is just the tracks that get into the yogurt!

For a full review of Kemps Moose Tracks Frozen Yogurt, go to;
    onsecondscoop.com/2010/02/kemps-premium-frozen-yogurt-denail.html

I was reading about Ford's "MyKey" feature and it is ingenious. It allows you to give one special key to your teenage child and it will limit the cars speed and stereo volume controls. Audio system stays mute until all the seatbelts are done up. The key activates more safety systems.

I am impressed, sounds like a great idea. I wonder if I could give a MyKey to my wife.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@graphicguy said:
    Maybe that's why it costs $300 for an oil change and a visual inspection.

GG, they do much more than merely change the oil and filter and visually inspect things. They do a complete read-out of your cars history and performance via a "plug-in" diagnostics check. They clean your internal air filters and check all fluid levels. They inspect each tire and do a 42 point check out of the entire car. It takes about 2 hours from start to finish.

The B service takes about 3 hours to complete as it is more involved.

Like I said, you can take out a maintenance contract with Mercedes Benz and you end up saving about $100 per service. If you join the MBCA, you save another 10% off parts and labor.

But as you mentioned, BMW has a great plan - I just prefer Mercedes products over BMW products and I am willing to spend the $250.00 a year for maintenance. As for brake discs and pads, the usually last about 36,000 miles, but I don't keep a car that long, as most of you guys know.

2021 Genesis G90

TESLA OF BOCA RATON OPENS ITS DOORS! ALSO CADILLAC HAS A NEW ALL-ELECTRIC DISPLAYED.

TESLA:

We were taking our morning walk at the Boca Town Center this morning and noticed they opened the Tesla Store inside the mall. We went in and they had 2 cars on display - their standard 4 door sedan and behind that they had a special edition 4 door sport sedan with special wheels, tires, body moldings, interior, etc.

Outside in the parking lot, they had 2 additional cars that were used for demonstration drives. They had a red one and black one inside and a blue and white one outside.

When I sat inside the standard car (the red one in the showroom store) I found it to be tight for someone my size. I was not comfortable in the car, even with the seat way back. The dashboard screen(s) are huge - 12 inches long and 8 inches wide - truly humongous. You can monitor and adjust just about everything in the car from that touch screen.

The range on a full charge is about 340 miles. You can charge using a 240 or 110 volt socket, however the 110 takes about 24 hours to charge the vehicle while the 240 takes about 10 hours. The interior was well done - but the dash, as I mentioned, is spectacular.

I test drove the car - outstanding performance from an electric vehicle - pulled away from the line like a V8. Almost no noise in the car.

CADILLAC:

They had a display of the new all-electric Cadillac coupe. Very good looking vehicle. Just much too small for me or my Dad. It's the same size as their CTS coupe - just all electric. Price was $82,000, quite a bit less than the Tesla.

But there was one very outstanding feature that Cadillac had over Tesla - there is an 8 gallon gasoline tank in the rear of the car that fuels an internal generator when your charge is low. It provides an additional 320 miles of charge in emergencies, but that's still 40 mpg converted to electric via internal generator - which is excellent. The technician who was there at the display explained that if you wanted, you could just run the car on 8 gallons of gasoline - but it is merely a charger, not a gasoline engine.

Gorgeous car, though. They only make it in a coupe right now, but they are working on a sedan. The batteries are guaranteed for 8 years and the provide a 4 year new car warranty.

They did not have any demos to drive, so I cannot tell you how it handled, etc.

SUMMARY AND CONCLUSION:

I really liked the Tesla - but if you live in a Condo like I do and have not access to a 240 volt socket, the Tesla is not the car for you - too long for a full charge. The Cadillac on the other hand can be charged via 240, 110 or internal gasoline powered generator.

The Cadillac is way too small for a 6'2" guy who weighs 240 lbs, and the Tesla also a bit tight, but drivable for a big guy so long as you are not driving 200 miles or more in a day. For $100,000, the car is a bit pricy, but supposedly their service is top notch - they warrant the car for a longer period of time and replace batteries if there is any problem for any reason.

If I had to choose between the two cars only, I would probably go with the Tesla.

2021 Genesis G90

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

@explorerx4 said:
    Couldn't easily find what my mother paid in property taxes for the year, so went to the town offices to get copies. They even highlighted the applicable payments.

Most taxing authorities these days have that online. In most cases all you need is the address and you can either find it or find the property tax number that will help you find it. We do it all the time.

After that, went to the bank to find out how I ended up with a 1099-INT for a CD that was my mothers.
    Got a bunch of BS excuses. It's a mistake, you can just ignore it. Huh?

Yes you can ignore it until summer when you get the letter from the IRS saying you forgot to add it to your income and now you owe taxes on it as well as penalties and interest.

Just put it on your mother's return. Huh?

No you can't it's not reported on her SSN, see above.

Finally got the manager, and it's corrected going forward, manager will look into getting the 2013 1099 corrected.

Hopefully that will solve the issue.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

@driver100 said:

Just remember that moose don't particularly care where they walk.

@abacomike said:
    When I sat inside the standard car (the red one in the showroom store) I found it to be tight for someone my size. I was not comfortable in the car, even with the seat way back.

When I tried out the Tesla I didn't find it to small, and I am 6'2" and back then weighed in around 235 or so.

The range on a full charge is about 340 miles. You can charge using a 240 or 110 volt socket, however the 110 takes about 24 hours to charge the vehicle while the 240 takes about 10 hours. The interior was well done - but the dash, as I mentioned, is spectacular.

Someone just completed a coast to coast drive in a Tesla using only the super chargers that Tesla is building across the country. You are supposed to be able to get 170 miles worth of a charge in 20 minutes. And it's free.

CADILLAC:
    But there was one very outstanding feature that Cadillac had over Tesla - there is an 8 gallon gasoline tank in the rear of the car that fuels an internal generator when your charge is low. It provides an additional 320 miles of charge in emergencies, but that's still 40 mpg converted to electric via internal generator - which is excellent. The technician who was there at the display explained that if you wanted, you could just run the car on 8 gallons of gasoline - but it is merely a charger, not a gasoline engine.

Using the gas engine to provide electricity is how diesel electric trains work.

I really liked the Tesla - but if you live in a Condo like I do and have not access to a 240 volt socket, the Tesla is not the car for you - too long for a full charge.

Depending on where you live owning an electric car while living in a condo may not be as bad of an issue as you think. As an example, around me there are plenty of charging stations where you can get a charge and most are near restaurants, show and shopping. Many municipal parking lots have dedicated electric car spots with chargers.

If I had to choose between the two cars only, I would probably go with the Tesla.

I would defiantly go with the Tesla. It has range enough that for 95% of the time I would only have to charge it once a week.

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

@driver100 said:

Your original post said 130 calories. So, that should be just normal pick up from moose tracks. If the calorie count is higher than that, then they just ain't walkin through it, right?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

@abacomike said:
    As for brake discs and pads, the usually last about 36,000 miles, but I don't keep a car that long, as most of you guys know.

As often as you trade in cars, I'd be surprised if you've ever worn though the factory preservative coating on the pad faces.

jmonroe

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

@snakeweasel said: Taxes

Just did my taxes -- small refund but this is the first time since 1971 that I didn't need to itemize. You get a bit of a boost in the standard deduction if you are over 65 and my mortgage and taxes don't amount to enough to save me anything. Ain't life grand.

@jmonroe said:
    "As often as you trade in cars, I'd be surprised if you've ever worn though the factory preservative coating on the pad faces."

I believe I have, jmonroe, I believe I have. But changing the oil - well that's been my nemesis - can't remember the last time I had to change oil or buy new tires. Maybe that's why my dealership always throws in free maintenance for 3 years on every car I buy - I never use it. I guess they are smarter than I thought.

But remember, they threw this car and deal at me on the last day of November - almost dared me to turn them down. But when you get a chance to buy an $82,000+ car for. $71,000, you have to be brave to not take advantage.

One of these days, I'm going to have an oil change on my car just to prove to myself that I can keep a car long enough to see them pour the oil into the crankcase. I thing I'll take a video so I can remember how it's done.

2021 Genesis G90

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

@abacomike said:
    One of these days, I'm going to have an oil change on my car just to prove to myself that I can keep a car long enough to see them pour the oil into the crankcase.

Well if your car is the Mercedes Benz E250 BlueTECH diesel that could be an expensive oil change because I believe it also requires an additive that cost an additional $400. Whew!

Speaking of diesel fuel, although the E250 gets about 45 MPG highway, it would seem to me that that MPG advantage is erased by the much higher sticker price and higher diesel cost. So, unless low end torque is a priority I think the diesel option is bad economics over its comparably equipped E350 counterpart.

Mike, how flawed is my logic. what am I missing?

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    edited February 2014

Got my phone replaced today for free. Hopefully this one will last longer that 2 weeks.
    The service rep talked me into a 'free' tablet although I ended up paying for a cover/charging bundle. He also saved me $20 a month on my plan. I can save more if I don't end up using the monthly data allowance, by lowering it.
    Opened the trunk of the Fusion and sure enough there was water in it. I'll have to bring it back to have that corrected.
    Accountant advised me to just leave the 1099 INT as is for 2013 and pay the taxes. He's afraid they will screw that up too.
    It's not just that bank branch that is screwed up. I used to have a car loan with them. Some months I would get a payment coupon, some months I wouldn't, and other months I would get duplicates. The duplicates worked out because I would photocopy one to use for the months I didn't get one.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644

@explorerx4 said:
    Got my phone replaced today for free. Hopefully this one will last longer

that 2 weeks.
    >

Opened the trunk of the Fusion and sure enough there was water in it. I'll have to bring it back to have that corrected.

Where did you get your $.99 phone in the first place? A smart phone that cheap sounds fishy.

There was water in your trunk after the dealer fixed your bumper? Huh? That's crazy! I'd be talking to a lawyer or the local TV reporter. Sounds like the Three Stooges were working on your car. How could they make it leak by fixing a bumper? Or am I remembering the wrong post?

Also:

How do you make your posts list your cars at the bottom? I put my fleet in my profile but I didn't see how you make it show here?

Please keep any explanations simple so no one gets hit with flying furniture.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,505

Farmer, click on your picture, and select "edit profile". Then look on the list to the lift for "signature settings" (I think called that). Click on that, and in the boxes that pop up you can put in what you want in the signature line.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

@oldfarmer50 said:
    How do you make your posts list your cars at the bottom? I put my fleet in my profile but I didn't see how you make it show here?

Please keep any explanations simple so no one gets hit with flying furniture.

I was wondering the same thing about getting my rides to appear. I think I have done the same thing you did and mine won't show either. In my case I've got a couple of up-scalers so I'd like to show them off. In your case, do you really want every one to know about the hoopties that you own. :o

As for the furniture, I doubt that every one in here could out-duck everything we'd be throwing . They might succeed with getting away from one of our throws but they'd probably zig right into the path of the next sofa. :'(

jmonroe

@jmonroe said:
    jmonroe

Let's see if this works.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Yea! Thanks Stick. jmonroe, try what he posted. If a lummox like me can do it anyone can.

edited February 2014

BTW, the only real hooptie still in my fleet is the van. I didn't include one son's 93 caddie or the other's 98 Buick even though dear ole' dad usually gets stuck paying the repair bills.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078

@driver100 said:
    How did I do with pirhannas (probably needs a capital P)?

Not so good... ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Yea! Thanks Stick. jmonroe, try what he posted. If a lummox like me can do it anyone can.

Thanks 'stick'. I tried it too and it works now.

I hope like hell that I don't start thinking like the guy that set up this site does...I'll never make it out of the parking lot at work without someone looking for me. :'(

jmonroe

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,505

I can fix this. Now need to figure out setting up my new iPhone. Old one decided today to fry itself. So off to Genius Bar to get new one under warranty. Managed to get re synced and stuff back. All but iMessage. Hopefully that is just a timing issue. Because I don't want to go back!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Let's see if this works.

It adds a certain sense of style to your pots now that we know all the rides on the farm. B)

edited February 2014

@oldfarmer50
    At Verizon you can get an iphone 4 for 99 cents if you sign up for 2 years.
    My wife and kids are on at least their 3rd generation of iphone and never had a problem.
    Of course, they always got the newest version.
    I gave up my 10+ year old phone.
    I hoping with the Fusion, the rear trunk gasket can be repositioned or replaced. The water is definitely coming through it. I can see the dried soap from the car wash on it.

@jayrider said: posts not pots

DON'T YOU JUST LOVE LIMMERICKS?

I once new a man from Decatur
    Who loved to cook meals for a caterer
    When delivering meals
    He drove his hot wheels
    Through the aisles of his Bijou theater!

I knew a bright man with illusions
    Who drove nothing but fashionable Fusions
    Until one November
    An FBI member
    Arrested him for fraudulent collusions!

I remember my grandfather Sammy
    Who ran over this guy In Miami
    He hemmed and he hawed
    When arrested for fraud
    For driving his sister-in-law's Camry!

My Dad, who drove nothing but Pontiacs
    Honked horns at those Florida maniacs
    They speeded on highways
    Double-parked and blocked driveways
    And hated insufferable insomniacs!

LAST ONE.....

Remember that man from Orlando
    Who served as a spy and commando
    Til one day at sea
    He was stung by a bee
    And was buried in his old Ford Ranchero!

I hope you all enjoyed these creations with a mention of cars in each.

2021 Genesis G90

@snakeweasel said:When I tried out the Tesla I didn't find it to small, and I am 6'2" and back then weighed in around 235 or so.

That's really odd........I always thought you were 5'10" or 5'11".

@abacomike said:

I guess no one liked my limericks. That's the most creative I get - so - boo-hoo!

2021 Genesis G90

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146

@abacomike said:
    ...limericks. That's the most creative I get - so - boo-hoo!

Don't feel bad. They don't ask me to sing to them while I'm driving either. :grin http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/imidazol97/15daed45-1.gif

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@imidazol97 said;
    "Don't feel bad. They don't ask me to sing to them while I'm driving either."

Maybe we should threaten them to either like our artistic ventures or we'll sing to them!

2021 Genesis G90

@abacomike said:
    imidazol97 said;

Maybe we should threaten them to either like our artistic ventures or we'll sing to them!

I give up. I like em, I like em !!! :'(

jmonroe

@jmonroe said:
    I was wondering the same thing about getting my rides to appear.

Sorry all of you are just getting words describing your ride to appear.

I am going to get my ride to appear.

@abacomike said:
    I hope you all enjoyed these creations with a mention of cars in each.

Forget limericks, the best car related poems are these:

@snakeweasel said:
    I am going to get my ride to appear.

I think that ain't legal. :o

jmonroe

@snakeweasel said: I am going to get my ride to appear.

@jmonroe said: I think that ain't legal

Not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound good ;)

Bought an ebook for my new tablet today. I started reading it, but the next challenge is to see if I can find it again.
    Going to call the car dealer tomorrow about the water in the trunk of the Fusion, just to let them know about it. I'm going to keep my eye on it and bring it in, if I notice it again.

@driver100 said:
    Not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound good

It means that instead of stating what my ride is in my signature I put picture of it there. B)

@snakeweasel said:

Re: Burma Shave

Use to love them as a kid when we'd be on family outings in the country.

One I still remember and recite to my kids on the school bus.

"Don't stick you arm

Out the window too far...

It might go home

In another car.

Burma Shave

edited February 2014

C> @snakeweasel said:It means that instead of stating what my ride is in my signature I put picture of it there.

Cool........but are you going to sign that way after every post? You'll use up too much internet space!

Those are very popular cars in Florida...I see lots of them. I don't see lots of convertibles in Florida, but those are quite common. I see quite a few Caddies and Lincolns with phony convertible roofs. My wife pointed out a Caddie and she said that car is a convertible. I said, no it isn't, it has 4 doors on it.......it's a phony convertible.

@jmonroe said:
    "I give up. I like em, I like em !!!"

I had a feeling you'd come to my way of thinking, jmonroe. Now wasn't that easy?

2021 Genesis G90

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Use to love them as a kid when we'd be on family outings in the country.

I remember finding a book in our library of Burma Shave sayings along with a history and location list of some kind.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504

@imidazol97 said:
    I remember finding a book in our library of Burma Shave sayings along with a history and location list of some kind.

It's called "Verse by the Side of the Road," and I have a copy. I think it's still available from the usual sources. Our family very much enjoyed reading the Burma Shave signs on the long otherwise empty stretches of highway in New Mexico.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@snakeweasel said:

Snake.....COOL CAR!

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

@abacomike said:
    jmonroe said:
    I had a feeling you'd come to my way of thinking, jmonroe. Now wasn't that easy?

In a way…almost like knowingly dousing down poison quickly so it won’t hurt you!

jmonroe

@cdnpinhead said:

It's called "Verse by the Side of the Road,"

IIRC, it tells how they planned and went around posting the signs.

@jmonroe said:
    "In a way…almost like knowingly dousing down poison quickly so it won’t hurt you!"

Poison is intended to "kill"! My limericks are intended to entertain. So based upon your response, it would seem that you look upon my limericks as a mere "death penalty"! Good grief, I didn't think they were that bad - but knowing you are "NEVER" wrong, jmonroe, I'll take your word for it!

2021 Genesis G90

@imidazol97 said:
    "IIRC, it tells how they planned and went around posting the signs"

imidazol, that picture of the Bonneville or Catalina (can't tell which from the picture) sure is "LARGE"! Are you considering posting a "lifesize" image of that car in the near future? If so, it should take up several pages of space on the forum.

2021 Genesis G90

edited February 2014

@abacomike said:
    that picture of the Bonneville or Catalina

Catalina. The clean beautiful lines. Compare to some cars today.

This discussion has been closed.