Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    Lout in a monster diesel pickup--keeps it running while filling his 2 tanks---the exhaust pipe, the size of a culvert, is spewing fumes into the filling area, while the truck's Hammers of Hell clackering ricochets off the station's extended roof. Nice, real nice.

Ugh. This is the norm for winter filling in interior Alaska (and not just for the loud diesel pickups). I think people look at me like I'm crazy just because I actually do shut off my car and hang out at the pump while it fills. My take on it? Your car's interior doesn't freeze up in the five minutes it takes to fill, and neither will you freeze up in that time if you're even remotely dressed for the weather!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780

Pump up the jam; pump it up; yo, pump it!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

That (should be) what emergency fuel shut-offs are for. We have lots of idlers around here these days (sometimes even me, when the MIL is on her way). One of the few places we've lived with no inversions though - no mountains and plenty of "fresh" breezes off the lake. B)

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131

I bet that truck driver has a Harley for summer days B)

The idling reminds me of what I have noticed from some probable "new" drivers here, who will let their car warm up for several minutes before driving. Parked in a garage.

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425

When the diesel driver goes to the restroom is when you turn off the engine or if possible lock the doors while the engine is running.

edited January 2014

Winner tonight - 86-89 Accord going ~32 in a 40, when I went past, driver had a phone to their ear. Nice to see the enforcement propaganda is paying off.

Get paid to drive inconsiderately, (no doubt paid) time off and training when you err again, protection by one of the most rabid untouchable unions in humanity - money well spent, and I am sure well earned. Not wasted at all, nope.

Got stuck behind a couple of airheads in an Escape - going 10 under on a surface street,then going 30 on a yellow signed 40 ramp leading up to a north-south interstate exchange. The "driver" (who fit the middle aged woman cute ute driver stereotype to a tee) was wildly gesturing and talking with her passenger, often not even looking at the road. Thankfully at the interchange, she went right and I went left, and I got to hit the horn as I went by. She looked at me shocked, then continued to plod along. I looked in my mirror and saw her continuing to hold up a line of cars as she moved off.

edited February 2014

Got a surprise few inches of slushy snow last night, and being in the Seattle area, you know what means!

I live on a hill:

None of these cars were moving. Local logic dictates when driving on even a slightly slick hill, just stand on the brakes and see if the car will stop, even if it means using a curb or another car to come to a stop.

One street over, this was the fun scene. That's not a parking area, if it matters:

Yes, that's a new Quattroporte (Q4 even) that seems to have suffered an oopsie. BC plates, new 6 figure car in downtown Bellevue, any assumptions you make from there are probably correct:

edited February 2014

Our best man lives in Salem and he called last night to let me know they got hammered pretty good too. They aren't going anywhere right now.

Oregon got it pretty bad - not nearly as bad here, most arterial roads are bare and wet right now. My street is slushy, side streets still snowy. Good day to stay in.

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited February 2014

Got to love all this global warming !!!! Anybody wonder what would happen if we were heading really into an ICE age? :p

The Iditarod wouldn't have to move to FBX to find snow, but could go south to Salem? (adn.com)

Can't imagine how many more overconfident 4WD drivers would wind up in the ditch with even a little ice age. ;)

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Good photos, fintail. I went for a nice hike in Lake Sammamish State Park this morning and it was beautiful.

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209

in the northeast we seen worse every other winter, but hopefully those northwestern USA people are safe and only a few cars and guardrails and trees got damaged.

doesn't anyone have dashcam out there, let's see some vehicles spinning like in that VW commercial. ?

I'd like to see some dashcam footage of the Maserati dolt.

Things are fairly clear here now, a marginal event as is typical at the end of a cold spell. Seems it was colder when I was a kid, but I lived east of the mountains, and the 80s had unusually harsh weather in this region.

We left Seattle Friday morning when it was still clear, dry, but cold. However, it was colder the night before after leaving McCaw and The Sleeping Beauty ballet. Visit Seattle, but live elsewhere.

High in my list of Inconsiderate Drivers are what I call "Park Waiters". Costco is the worst for this. Even though there are plenty of parking spaces further down the row, when they see a person about to leave, they will sit right in the middle of a lane with their turn signal flashing and wait for the car to finally leave. Often the person leaving has a large load of stuff to out in the car, kids to load into car seats etc and these people still sit there!

If the lot is full, I can see it but what harm is done by having to walk another 100 feet?

Complaint number two are the lazy jerks who can't be bothered to return their carts to the numerous cart return areas. Nope, they will hook them on a curb making hit hard to navigate the corner or simply leave them wherever they feel like!

NOW...I feel better!

Seattle is what I call "pedestrian and vehicle unfriendly". Difficult and expensive for driving, risky and inefficient for walking. The greybeard greenie weenies want everyone on a bus or bicycle (and want everyone to live in a 300sq ft shoebox) while they themselves still drive a private car and live in a big house bought back when wage:housing price ratios were from a different planet. Of course.

Costco parking lots are a zoo, you should see the one in Kirkland, which is a favorite for "new" drivers from the Bellevue-Redmond area. I laugh at the lazy parking spot trollers as I park out in the sticks (to avoid damage) and usually pass them on foot, as they are still waiting for a space, and we entered the lot at the same time.

Not returning a cart should be revocation of membership.

There are plenty of those "new" (I know what you mean) drivers that shop at Issaquah too.

The same people that will run their carts into your ankles as they make a dash for the free samples that are being passed out!

edited February 2014

Costco cart drivers seem even worse in the store than when in their cars. Most times I venture in there, I end up being hit or cut off by errant simps who act like they've never been to a store before. Definitely a good place for inconsiderate shoppers.

I really hope the new policy that private driving schools can give license tests doesn't make it worse.

@isellhondas said:
    There are plenty of those "new" (I know what you mean) drivers that shop at Issaquah too.

The same people that will run their carts into your ankles as they make a dash for the free samples that are being passed out!

This morning saw a new A6 with a middle aged gent behind the wheel, phone to his ear. I KNOW this car has bluetooth - driver is either lazy or stupid, deserves a heavy fine - but will not get one, as his demographic doesn't answer for much. I also saw a Range Rover Sport use turn signals, I thought I was hallucinating.

And maybe inconsiderate, saw an LS460 on a flatbed tow truck - either broken or another bootstrapper who parked wherever he wanted.

I still see people with cell phones pressed to their ears on a daily basis.

I know in Issaquah, if a cop sees this you WILL get pulled over and the ticket is something like 140.00. Maybe if it were 500.00 people would get the message...probably not.

They need to come to downtown Bellevue - could make a fortune with such tickets. I don't know of anyone who has ever been stopped for that reason, nor have I ever seen it happen. The LEO community claims they do it, and all I can say is, that's nice.

I was out on foot and saw a discarded tire chain - that reminds me, during the little snow event, I saw 3 cars with chains (!). Two Altimas and a Camcord of some kind. One of the Altimas had a loose chain, which was loudly clattering in the wheel well. I bet that looks nice today.

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,675
    edited February 2014

Looks like I was in inconsiderate driver, in the eyes of the DC government at least, and they're gonna make me pay $150 for it. Here's the video of the heinous deed I did...
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jgandrew/media/Other Junk/20140131_192527_034472348765_1_zps49ed8fac.mp4.html

I think they're bitching because, even though I made a complete stop, I went into the crosswalk. Wonder if it's worth trying to contest this thing or not? There are no points attached, at least. Still, it makes me mad enough that I never want to go into DC again.

Costco customers are the same in Vancouver, Portland, & Warrenton as well.
    Nordstom shoppers have the best manners & patience with seniors.

Reminds me of driver's ed where I was told to stop at the crosswalk, then pull out to look. I am sure they could get you on that technicality. Those salaries don't come out of thin air.

@andre1969 said:
    Looks like I was in inconsiderate driver, in the eyes of the DC government at least

edited February 2014

On foot this morning, saw 2 white late model M3s - coupe and sedan - both with minimal to zero turn signal use, both making it a point to produce as much noise as possible. Overgrown fratboys - the 14 year olds are all in school at that hour, nobody else cares.

Real winner was an Evoque that made a left turn from a right turn only lane, and did it with hilarious aggression.

Also while on foot, saw a sidewalk closed for construction, but no signage for this until you came up on it. Good job, well connected contractor. And a cop hanging out there, no doubt to nab anyone speeding through the zone in an under-50K car.

Driving schools can issue licenses?? Scary!

I used to keep those "new drivers" on a tight leash at the Honda store. How some of them passed their Driver's Test I could never understand. I had several close calls and several times, I made the people pull over and I drove back.

We did have several wrecks while I was there.

When we owned the Acura store in Southcenter, we had a customer get killed in an Integra when he hit a pole. The salesperson got badly hurt but survived.

edited February 2014

Around here the "contract" license examiners are reported to flunk people so they can get another fee.

That happened to a friend's kid here last year; had to take the exam three times and finally went out of town to find a different examiner, who passed him.

Last month he smashed up his car. B)

edited February 2014

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    Around here the "contract" license examiners are reported to flunk people so they can get another fee.

That happened to a friend's kid here last year; had to take the exam three times and finally went out of town to find a different examiner, who passed him.

Last month he smashed up his car. B)

It would appear the three examiners that "flunked" him were correct ! ? Hopefully he didn't hurt anybody else for his accident, waiting for a place to happen.

It was a bit ironic, but I was good. When I heard about the wreck, I kept my mouth shut. :D

Must not have been much of a wreck, the estimate was only around $1,000. Going too fast for conditions and slid into the rear of someone's car.

My stepdad was a Driver's License Examiner in Southern California for over 30 years and I don't think he ever was in an accident. He did have to grab the steering wheel a few times and he ended a few tests after the first block.

How he did this and how his nerves held up I will never know!

edited February 2014

Yep, new law. Well, they can administer the driving test which grants a license. Motorcycle schools have been able to test for endorsements for some time, but I think the instructors there might take it more seriously. Really kind of makes me worry, in this area with so many "new" drivers who have massive bank accounts, if you know what I mean.

When I was a student, a friend of mine was a recent arrival from Taiwan, he wanted a car, so we test drove a few. I remember the Toyota guy looked pretty worried at times - the driver bad spatial awareness. I think it took three tries for him to pass his test.

@isellhondas said:
    Driving schools can issue licenses?? Scary!

edited February 2014

@fintail said:
    Yep, new law. Well, they can administer the driving test which grants a license. Motorcycle schools have been able to test for endorsements for some time, but I think the instructors there might take it more seriously. Really kind of makes me worry, in this area with so many "new" drivers who have massive bank accounts, if you know what I mean.

When I was a student, a friend of mine was a recent arrival from Taiwan, he wanted a car, so we test drove a few. I remember the Toyota guy looked pretty worried at times - the driver bad spatial awareness. I think it took three tries for him to pass his test.

I think then you have to put the Taiwan (albeit ISLAND) accident/fatality experience in CONTEXT and then compare it with the area that you are speaking of.

Government statistics indicate that motorcycle accidents/fatalities are almost @ epidemic proportions !! Indeed that is their narrative ! This is DESPITE way more stringent licensing procedures !! ?? Conversely, the CAR accident/fatalities rates are the LOWEST since they have been recording these statistics. Of course this is DESPITE the (anecdotal) narrative on LOOSE drivers licensing procedures.

So in that sense, if we pine for the "good ole days," the good ole days are truly, ... NOW !!!! ????

www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

Cars have insanely good safety tech these days. Other than ABS and traction control on a few bikes, motorcycles are much the same as they were decades ago - before grizzled greybeards started loving 900lb cruisers. The bike rates will probably become even worse in the next decade. Tech saves lives. When you don't have tech, well...

edited February 2014

It does make me wonder how much more or less inconsiderate DRIVER LESS cars will be ! :p

The Asiana crash using the AUTOMATIC landing procedure @ SFO comes to mind.

I am not sure if commute articles like this have any wider audience.

mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_25107054/exit-lane-cheaters-tempt-road-rage-crashes-and

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

That trick was perfected in L.A. and then exported upstate.

Similar, I know someone who got rear ended by a shoulder cheater. He exited when the striping said he could, and got nailed by an idiot going 40 on the shoulder. The shoulder driver was found completely at fault, and the guy I knew got his old Corolla replaced out of it.

@fintail said:
    Similar, I know someone who got rear ended by a shoulder cheater. He exited when the striping said he could, and got nailed by an idiot going 40 on the shoulder. The shoulder driver was found completely at fault, and the guy I knew got his old Corolla replaced out of it.

As rare as it might appear to be, there is justice in the world.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146

Some people have way too much time on their hands.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited February 2014

Those driver pranks are big on youtube.

Drive home today - stuck behind a 4-Runner weaving around in the lane with big speed variances, due to the driver being distracted by his passenger. I eventually passed, and he dropped way back, probably going 10 under. Nice. Saw a Lexus LS with no signals, and an M6 with signals, bizarre. Also a middle aged guy in an S-class with a phone to his ear, maybe suffering from affluenza. Final sight was maybe not inconsiderate, but funny - Range Rover Sport on a flatbed tow truck. Kind of its natural habitat, but I like to think a Bellevue wife parked where she wanted when going in for botox, and came out to find no car in the spot.

Inconsiderate snow in Chattanooga.

The Sheriff didn't read the Warning Sign.

That's probably worth 3 days of paid leave/vacation.

This evening, saw a guy in a NSX with a phone to his ear, I kid you not. Also got blindly pulled in front of by a Corolla, but that's almost expected.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

@fintail said:
    This evening, saw a guy in a NSX with a phone to his ear, I kid you not. Also got blindly pulled in front of by a Corolla, but that's almost expected.

What was the "kid you not" part? A guy in an NSX? ;)

edited February 2014

Last week I was sitting in a left turn lane, waiting for the arrow when I noticed a car in the next lane with it's left turn signal going.

Yep, when the arrow came on, he made a left turn nearly ramming the car alongside him.

I had to hit the brakes otherwise I would have hit him or he would have been forced into the curb.

I held my horn button down for five seconds.

My town crawls with cops everywhere but not then!

Well, I wouldn't expect the fairer set to drive one :)

@PFFlyer@Edmunds said:
    What was the "kid you not" part? A guy in an NSX? ;)

Never there when you want them. They never seem to be around the errant Range Rovers and BMWs in my neighborhood, either. Such a coincidence.

@isellhondas said:
    Last week I was sitting in a left turn lane, waiting for the arrow when I noticed a car in the next lane with it's left turn signal going.