Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

@imidazol97 said:
    "Catalina. The clean beautiful lines. Compare to some cars today"

I owned a 1969 Catalina in exactly that color with a black vinyl roof. I agree, that was when Pontiac built some sturdy and good looking cars. But on snow, those cars were awful - I did not have positraction so it slipped and slid all over the road. They had long wheel bases which also wasn't very good for traction on snow. But, yes, I really liked mine.

2021 Genesis G90

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

@abacomike said:
    Good grief, I didn't think they were that bad - but knowing you are "NEVER" wrong, jmonroe, I'll take your word for it!

At least you are a fast study. Mrs. j is still in training.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

@imidazol97 said:
    Catalina. The clean beautiful lines. Compare to some cars today.

Hey, I got an idea. Do ya think if we said that was a ’66 Bonneville convertible, ‘isell’ would come stormin in here to correct us? Me mostly.

jmonroe

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited February 2014

@jmonroe said:
    that was a ’66 Bonneville convertible,

It is a convertible. The style of the roof is a clone of the neat shape of a convertible, only it's done in metal. No rotting cloth. No scrubbing to remove mildew & mold.

I'm actually against having pictures and other long things in a signature line. I saw someone else had implemented it so I thought I'd try it. I don't like seeing it take up vertical space. I think I'd rather see a random and infrequent picture.

I recalled someone had mentioned how neat they thought it is to see a real original car without the usual add-ons commonly applied in the car show market. I was looking for a Pontiac near that color and year that is local and was almost original down to the tires practically. This might be it, but it has fender ornaments on top and an orange side marker light behind the front wheel. I have always loved the clean lines of those Pontiacs.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@imidazol97 said:
    I have always loved the clean lines of those Pontiacs.

I had three of them.

My first new car was a ’66 Bonneville 2 door hardtop (not a convertible). It was real boat with dark blue metallic exterior and light blue cloth interior, no A/C and a 389 CID V8. It windowed for $4007. I don’t remember what I paid but I thought it was pretty good at the time, given I had hot pants for it.

My second was bought used in 1977. That one was a ’75 Grand Prix with around 23K miles, burgundy exterior with a white landau vinyl top, white vinyl seats, and a 400 CID V8, this one had A/C. I bought it from a private party for 4K even.

The third was also bought used, in 1995. That one was a ’95 Bonneville with 7200 miles, white exterior with grey cloth interior, had the 3.8 L V8, also had A/C. I think I paid $16,600 for it from the original selling dealer at the end of the day on a Friday. That’s the beast that couldn’t hold paint.

jmonroe

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146

@mako1a - I saw your suggestion about making car shopping easier by offering a list of accessories that might be important to individual buyers. I think that's a great one, and the site design team is always asking for suggestions from our consumers. You should submit that to "contact us" so it'll get shuffled to the right team. https://help.edmunds.com/anonymous_requests/new

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

@driver100 said:
    Cool........but are you going to sign that way after every post? You'll use up too much internet space!

Nope, my intentions was to see if it could be done and keep it up for a day or two, it's gone now.

Those are very popular cars in Florida...I see lots of them. I don't see lots of convertibles in Florida, but those are quite common. I see quite a few Caddies and Lincolns with phony convertible roofs. My wife pointed out a Caddie and she said that car is a convertible. I said, no it isn't, it has 4 doors on it.......it's a phony convertible.

Don't be too sure about that, there are companies that will turn your car into a ragtop

http://newportconvertible.com/cadillac-ats-convertible/

That being said there is a DTS I see every once in a while that was converted into a convertible.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

@cdnpinhead said:
    Our family very much enjoyed reading the Burma Shave signs on the long otherwise empty stretches of highway in New Mexico.

When we went from Vegas to the Grand Canyon we decided to bypass the interstate and took Route 66. Along the portion we drove they had a few Burma Shave signs, my wife loved reading them and yelling"Burma Shave" when we passed the last one. Nearer to Chicago I live just a few miles off of 66, a distance south of us there was a Burma Shave signs there. But they have since dissappeared, which I think is sad.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    edited February 2014
    @snakeweasel said:
    "...Burma Shave signs there. But they have since dissappeared."

When I was 12 years old, my Dad drove the whole family to Miami from NYC for a vacation. He had a 1956 white Buick Roadmaster convertible with red leather interior, power windows, power seats, and a Fireball V8 under the hood. A truly beautiful ride.

I remember driving down on US route 301 and US 1 through Lumberton NC and all those beautiful towns and villages down the eastern seaboard. About every 20 miles or so, there were Burma Shave signs, usually 6-8 every 500 feet or so. We used to read the signs out loud by taking turns to pass the time during those long days on the road.

There were no interstates at the time so you were always driving through small towns and villages, many of them with speed traps.

You'd have a stretch of road with a 60 mph speed limit and then, with only a few seconds notice, there was a 30 mph limit. I think Dad got 3 tickets driving through NC, VA, and GA.

2021 Genesis G90

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855

@Kirstie@Edmunds said:
    mako1a - I saw your suggestion about making car shopping easier by offering a list of accessories that might be important to individual buyers.

OK, Kirstie the request has been sent. Hope I didn't overdo it with 3 paragraphs.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

I was just watching the weather. We're expecting somewhere between 2 inches to 20 inches Wednesday thru Thursday depending on which forecast (european or domestic models).

I was thinking about Atlanta and the pendulum swinging from last time too little to this time probably too much. I predict Atlanta will get 12-14 inches of salt on the interstates before any snow falls.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

@snakeweasel said: there are companies that will turn your car into a ragtop

I was quite sure someone would have made a 4-door convertible.......but, that would take a lot of work. it is hard enough making them so they feel solid. Those 4 doors looked pretty nice though. A 4-door convetible would be a little impractical...the wind is bad enough for the passengers in the rear......unless you are going really slow it isn't much fun being back there in a vert.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

@mako1a said:
    I was just watching the weather. We're expecting somewhere between 2 inches to 20 inches Wednesday thru Thursday depending on which forecast (european or domestic models).

I was thinking about Atlanta and the pendulum swinging from last time too little to this time probably too much. I predict Atlanta will get 12-14 inches of salt on the interstates before any snow falls.

Ha ha that's how they salt the roads in NY. I think cars shipped to NY are coming pre-rusted to get it out of the way. Looks like this next storm will just graze us.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Ha ha that's how they salt the roads in NY. I think cars shipped to NY are coming pre-rusted to get it out of the way. Looks like this next storm will just graze us.

They are crying around here that because of all the snow this winter (not too much in my opinion) they are running low on salt. But that didn’t keep the Genny from turning back to White again from the pretty factory color of Cabernet Red Pearl. Mrs. j’s Subie is silver so it doesn’t look too bad with its salt coat.

This next storm is supposed to miss the Pittsburgh area too but the temp in my Burgh this morning was + 6 F. When I got out of the car this morning in the company parking lot (about 25 miles away) it was - 5 F. I’ve never seen a swing like that before so I guess global warming explains this. I’m ready to go visit Mike or my SIL in southern Florida. I usually don’t mind the winters too much but the cold of this year’s winter has just about pushed me over the edge. If that miserable rodent is right, we have at least 4 more weeks of this stuff. What’s the best way to put a rodent out of my misery?

I think I’d even put up with Mike’s limericks to get away from this winter.

jmonroe

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

@jmonroe said:I think I’d even put up with Mike’s limericks to get away from this winter.

Then you must be serious!

2 or 3 cold days isn't too bad, but constant cold for weeks or months is hard to take. We get a cold day in Tampa on Thursday, people will really be complaining...it will "only" be 60!
    Then headed back up to the 70s.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435

My lab loves the cold. When I get immediate frost bite he frisks around like a puppy. He is going to be really bummed if I finally pull off my move down south

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

My Lab loves it also, but not when the snow collects between her toes. I had a crazy thought about getting her booties to wear, but after trying to put them on who needs more exercise?

@Karen@Edmunds said:
    My Lab loves it also, but not when the snow collects between her toes. I had a crazy thought about getting her booties to wear, but after trying to put them on who needs more exercise?

We put Christmas booties on our guy once. Was not pretty walking around the house.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686

Just dress in layers, folks! Heading to Maine for a ski week next week. Good timing for the next snowmaggeddon!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,252

This morning when i got in the the Explorer, the temp read 5 F. Took the long way to the highway to give ol' Henry a chance to warm up and hit a low of -6 F. 20 minutes later at work, the temp read 16 F. That's pretty big temperature swing.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@Karen@Edmunds said:

How do you guys like your lab's? Someone is asking if we want a lab puppy, I am not to sure about it but the wife is interested.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

@explorerx4 said:
    This morning when i got in the the Explorer, the temp read 5 F. Took the long way to the highway to give ol' Henry a chance to warm up and hit a low of -6 F. 20 minutes later at work, the temp read 16 F. That's pretty big temperature swing.

Speaking of weather woes, 2 of my colleagues at work have had trouble with their trucks this week. Both suspected of being head gaskets. One Ford, one Dodge. Wonder if this unusual cold has anything to do with it.
    Would extreme cold increase the odds of gasket failure?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,252

@oldfarmer50 said:

How good is the coolant in their trucks?

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@oldfarmer50 said:

Extreme cold isn't good for mechanical gizmos. Just touching knobs in below zero temps can break them pretty easily.

As for head gaskets, if the engine is put under more than casual load when very cold, I have seen them cause problems.

I'd rather warm the car up sitting still than running it to get it warm.

jmonroe

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited February 2014

@snakeweasel said:
    How do you guys like your lab's? Someone is asking if we want a lab puppy, I am not to sure
    about it but the wife is interested.

As a friend with two labs likes to joke:

Q: How many labs does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Light bulb??!! LIGHT BULB??!! We're gonna change a light bulb!! Oh, me, me!!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeze let me change the light bulb! Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Huh? Can I? Pleeeeeeeeeze, please, please, please!

@snakeweasel said:
    How do you guys like your lab's? Someone is asking if we want a lab puppy, I am not to sure about it but the wife is interested.

Well, I love mine. He is an absolute sweetheart. Just be prepared for lots and lots and lots of hair. You really do need to keep up on furminating. And they are active, so you need to play (tennis ball or frisbee) a lot, and daily walks are important. Not really a dog to just sit around in a small space doing nothing. But good if you want to stay active yourself.

Full disclosure, but I got mine "used" (at 4 YO). At 9, he still thinks he is a kid. Lab puppies are very active, but very trainable. You just have to be willing to put the time in from the beginning. If you do, you should end up with a great adult dog. As a puppy though, expect a lot of things knocked over in your house. My neighbor got one a year ago, and it was kind of nutty. Ripped an earring right out of someones lobe. Oops. Not sure if they are any more nippy than other dogs, but they do chew. At least they love people, and really do want to please you.

Hope this helps.

Robr, every time I come home (doesn't matter if I just went out for Milk or to get the mail) mine greets me like the long-lost prodigal son. If a Lab greeting you at the door does not cheer you up, you are hopeless.

Our Lab mix, Frankie was wagging his tail next to the Christmas tree. Ornaments, garland and lights started swinging until my wife shouted...Frankie, stop being so happy. It made his tail slow down and made me laugh like crazy.

oh yeah, the perpetual motion tail weapon. Will clear your coffee table off in no time. And knock you off your feet if he is excited enough.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,076

While I don't have labs myself - I've got three dachshunds - I've known folks who have had them. One thing I've heard is that labs are slow to mature; they take forever to get out of that 'puppy' stage.

Which can be good or bad, depending on your circumstances.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

mine is 9.5 years old, and sometimes he still acts like a puppy (especially when out in the snow), but in a good way.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    edited February 2014

@Michaell@Edmunds said:
    While I don't have labs myself - I've got three dachshunds

Ahhhh. Dachshunds. My daughter has a wiener dog. It's supposed to be a long-hair miniature, but it's way bigger. When you walk in the door he gets all wiggly and glad to see you. He will follow you around the house. Eventually you realize he is just looking for food and you are fresh.

When we run into someone who has a dachshund, the conversation almost always gets to, "What's the strangest thing he ate?" They will eat almost anything...and I mean anything.

Joe

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851

@mako1a said:
    Our Lab mix, Frankie was wagging his tail next to the Christmas tree. Ornaments, garland and lights started swinging until my wife shouted...Frankie, stop being so happy. It made his tail slow down and made me laugh like crazy.

Our 17lb Shi Tzu is also named Frankie. I wanted Rocco, but was denied that request!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@tjc78 said:
    Our 17lb Shi Tzu is also named Frankie. I wanted Rocco, but was denied that request!

I have to go along with Mrs. tjc on this one. Naming a Shi Tzu, Rocco, is like calling someone who is 6’ 10’’ shorty. Saying a Hyundai is a luxury car regardless of the model…saying German cars are reliable when they are 7 years old…saying it’s the Cadillac of TV’s when it’s an Admiral. It just doesn’t fit. The best way to turn a small dog into a snack is to let it think it’s the badest pooch on the block.

jmonroe

@jmonroe said:
    Naming a Shi Tzu, Rocco, is like calling someone who is 6’ 10’’ shorty.

I know someone with an English Mastiff named Daisy. Although she is huge, her personality is much more Daisy than Bertha.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

You guys are just a wealth of knowledge. Thinking of getting a Pug. Any thoughts on them?

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited February 2014

pugs are cute, but look into breathing issues (not having a snout and all). I think they are more "hang out" dogs as opposed to "active adventure" dogs.

Now, if you want cute, a Puggle (especially a puppy) is the most adorable thing ever.

@stickguy said:
    Hope this helps.

Yes it does, as I said we have an opportunity to get a lab and my wife is very interested. I on the other hand am sort of lukewarm on the ideal, sure it would be nice to have another dog but I really don't think any dog would be able to take the place of Sophie (my rat terrier that we had to put to sleep a year ago). But I am letting my wife make the decision on the lab.

I did claim the right to name the dog Phydough if we do get him.

@graphicguy said:
    You guys are just a wealth of knowledge. Thinking of getting a Pug. Any thoughts on them?

Pugs have many health issues including hip dysplasia, breathing problems, mange, easily injured eyes and obesity.

A friend has one and loves it.

@jmonroe said:
    The best way to turn a small dog into a snack is to let it think it’s the badest pooch on the block.

For 14 years we shared a home with a rat terrier, those things are completely size blind. They are small but powerful and it would be hard to turn one into a snack. A coyote tried once and failed.

@robr2 said:
    Pugs have many health issues including hip dysplasia, breathing problems, mange, easily injured eyes and obesity.

I agree, my first neighbor had one. And on top of that why would anyone want a breed where their ancestors lost the battle so many times by leading with their face that nature just decided to make them look like that from the get-go.

jmonroe

We're in the market for what a friend calls "North America Brown Dog" aka Mutt. My kids have been asking for a dog for years and I'm close to breaking down.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

@robr2 said:
    We're in the market for what a friend calls "North America Brown Dog" aka Mutt. My kids have been asking for a dog for years and I'm close to breaking down.

Don’t know what breed is it but that dog in the Range Rover Evoque TV commercial looks quite cute. That black shiny coat reminds of a black stallion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PVOaGpJfGc

Looks like a German Shorthaired Pointer.

@robr2 said:
    We're in the market for what a friend calls "North America Brown Dog" aka Mutt.

My dad always referred to them as Heinz dogs, you know 57 varieties.

In reality those can be some of the best dogs around as they tend not to carry the issues that some pure breeds have.

Sinkhole swallows Corvettes at Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY
    wbko.com/news/headlines/BREAKING-Floor-Collapse-at-National-Corvette-Museum-245173671.html?device=phone

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    edited February 2014

@robr2 said:

Ha! That's what I say when people ask what kind of dog I have. The brown kind. The medium-to-large-sized brown kind of dog. I'll have to take a picture of the little framed artwork I have on my office wall here - it says "brown dog tasty cookies," and has a silhouette of a brown dog.

She's a chocolate lab/pit mix, with who knows what else. She's 7, and her behavior makes it hard to tell that she's that old. She's got all of that excitement to see people that others have gone on about.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

I owe Abacomike an apology about Florida's problems with sinkholes. KY also has soluble limestones.

Really sad.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@snakeweasel said:

Okay, the best description I've ever heard of the breed was from a vet tech, "If you can get through the first 2 years with a Lab puppy, you'll have a great dog." So. True. Be prepared to spend a LOT of time exercising, playing and training. It's kind of like having an ADHD child that has consumed vast amount of caffeine and sugar. All the time. Every day. When ours was young, she would visit with friends that have three Greyhounds. Running with them for a few hours was the only thing that wore her out. However, when she hit two years, she began to get calmer. Now at 6, have to say she's one of the best dogs we've ever had.

Those scratches will buff right out, once they get the cars out of the hole.

This discussion has been closed.