Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 Volkswagen GTI Lease Questions

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
edited February 1 in Volkswagen
Welcome to the Edmunds discussion dedicated to 2014 Volkswagen GTI leasing questions.

Here you can find and discuss all the latest lease details for the 2014 GTI, including cap costs, money factors, residual values, acquisition fees, etc. Please post any leasing questions you have or any details you’d like to share about your own lease deals.

You can also research local dealer inventory and pricing, reviews, features, and specifications, on our 2014 Volkswagen GTI page.

To see all forums discussions about the Volkswagen GTI, including earlier model years, please visit our list of Volkswagen GTI discussions.

Navigation tips: To see the most recent information and activity, make sure to visit the latest post, which may be a few pages ahead. Click the pages numbers just below to go to a new page in the discussion -- or search the entire discussion by clicking the magnifying glass icon and entering keywords.

We also invite you to share your purchase experience on Edmunds Facebook page, Share Your Story.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• Hi kyfdx,

Could you please run the numbers for me on a 2014 GTI Driver's for 36m/12k & 36m/15k? Westchester County, NY.

Thanks!
    -S
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,040
    .0014 MF and 55% residual on Sign then Drive leases for 36mo, 15K/yr
    Add 2% for 12K/yr lease

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• kkovalikkovali Posts: 2
    edited January 21

Hello, I've just sorted out a lease deal with my local dealer for a 2014 Drivers Edition GTI, I haven't taken it yet. Is it a good deal?

MSRP: $31,885 Negotiated price: $30,450 Total price with tax and fees: $32,223

With $3000 down, $365 per month for 36mo 12k/yr lease or $355 for 10k/yr. (all including tax)

Residual is something like 55%.

Thanks.

• kkovalikkovali Posts: 2

I did the deal. The numbers I provided are incorrect though.

It's actually $30,093 negotiated.

$3k down, $364 per month 36mo 12k/yr lease.

• Hi kyfdx,

Can you please let me know the current MF and residual for a 2014 4dr Wolfsburg GTI and if you can a 2013 for GTI w/ conv. (I've seen these $2K below MSRP) - The lease would be for 36mo, 12K/yr. San Diego CA

@cambiamento said: Hi kyfdx,

Can you please let me know the current MF and residual for a 2014 4dr Wolfsburg GTI and if you can a 2013 for GTI w/ conv. (I've seen these $2K below MSRP) - The lease would be for 36mo, 12K/yr. San Diego CA

.00028 MF and 55% residual for 36mo, 12K/yr. - 2014

.00161 MF and 49% on the 2013 model...

• iron502iron502 Posts: 1
    edited February 25

Hi,

I need some advice please. I'm looking to lease a 2014 4dr Wolfsburg GTI and I am 2 payments away from turning in my 2011 Honda Accord Coupe EX lease. Btw, I'm in Los Angeles.

Now for the bad news. I'm 12,000 over my mileage allowance at .15c/mile. Obviously it was a bad time to lease it because I got transferred to a different office where I had to commute, which is why I went over. I'm not commuting anymore and would run about 9,000 miles/year now and I'm able to write off some of the payments for my business.

After doing research on my lease, I figured out I paid way too much and now have a better idea about leasing. But I'm still trying to figure out the best way to approach turning in/trading my Accord for the GTI because of the mileage overage and looking at a $1,800 bill from Honda Financial. Not sure what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

@iron502 said: Hi,

I need some advice please. I'm looking to lease a 2014 4dr Wolfsburg GTI and I am 2 payments away from turning in my 2011 Honda Accord Coupe EX lease. Btw, I'm in Los Angeles.

Now for the bad news. I'm 12,000 over my mileage allowance at .15c/mile. Obviously it was a bad time to lease it because I got transferred to a different office where I had to commute, which is why I went over. I'm not commuting anymore and would run about 9,000 miles/year now and I'm able to write off some of the payments for my business.

After doing research on my lease, I figured out I paid way too much and now have a better idea about leasing. But I'm still trying to figure out the best way to approach turning in/trading my Accord for the GTI because of the mileage overage and looking at a $1,800 bill from Honda Financial. Not sure what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you have a CarMax near you, ask them for a quote to buy your car. If their offer is closer than $1800 to your payoff, sell them the car, and you are out cheaper than turning it in... Otherwise, just bite the bullet and pay the mileage charges at turn-in.

This really has nothing to do with leasing another vehicle.

• throbthrob Posts: 4

Checking on the current deal I have sitting... 2014 GTI Driver's Ed MSRP : 32,382 Sales price : 29,173 Res : 53% (15k miles/year) mf : .00028 Drive off : $417.50 Monthly : $417.50 (incl tax) Thanks for any help/info.

@throb said: Checking on the current deal I have sitting... 2014 GTI Driver's Ed MSRP : 32,382 Sales price : 29,173 Res : 53% (15k miles/year) mf : .00028 Drive off : $417.50 Monthly : $417.50 (incl tax) Thanks for any help/info.

That's the correct money factor and residual.. Since your drive off is the same as the 1st payment, it looks like you rolled everything into the lease payment (acq.fee, tax, etc.). Do you know what your net CAP cost and your tax rate?

Sales tax is 9% and for the cap cost I am not sure as I am sure it will be more than the 29173 since the fees are tacked on top of that.

@throb said: Sales tax is 9% and for the cap cost I am not sure as I am sure it will be more than the 29173 since the fees are tacked on top of that.

Then, pre-tax payment is about $383/mo. With just the selling price, I get $346/mo. That leaves about $1300 for acq.fee, title/registration, etc.. If that sounds about right for where you live, it looks like a good deal.

@kyfdx@Edmunds said: Then, pre-tax payment is about $383/mo. With just the selling price, I get $346/mo. That leaves about $1300 for acq.fee, title/registration, etc.. If that sounds about right for where you live, it looks like a good deal.

That sounds about right. I have had a few dealers (4!) tell me on the phone they can't match the deal and one even told me he'd buy the car himself at that price. After that, I started to figure I was basically at the bottom.

It would be interesting to know the leasing formulas so I could have a spreadsheet that did all the math so I could bid appropriately.

I am sure none of that info is available since it would give too much edge to the consumer.

Rob

@throb said: Rob

The calculation is actually pretty easy.. Here is a post that explains it, pretty well.

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/12602/general/x/how-to-calculate-monthly-lease-payments

My ten-year old built my first spreadsheet to calculate payments, so it can't be that hard.. ;)

• paul_mccpaul_mcc Posts: 8

Hi, had a couple of questions I'd appreciate help with.

First, I did the lease calculation using the dealer provided price/residual/MF, and the dealers monthly payments came in $17 a month higher than mine. Dealer said it was because of additional "fees" associated with leasing and that most people like myself don't know how to really calculate a lease. Is this normal? Any fees I'm not accounting for beyond depreciation and cost of lending?

Also, dealer seems pretty set on a .00099 MF. My credit shouldn't be an issue, and this seems high based on what others around here are getting. Is this a pretty bad rate?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

@paul_mcc said: Hi, had a couple of questions I'd appreciate help with.

First, I did the lease calculation using the dealer provided price/residual/MF, and the dealers monthly payments came in $17 a month higher than mine. Dealer said it was because of additional "fees" associated with leasing and that most people like myself don't know how to really calculate a lease. Is this normal? Any fees I'm not accounting for beyond depreciation and cost of lending?

Also, dealer seems pretty set on a .00099 MF. My credit shouldn't be an issue, and this seems high based on what others around here are getting. Is this a pretty bad rate?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

The acquisition fee is $625. The base money factor for a 36 month lease is .00027. They can mark up the MF by as much as .00125 for extra profit, or they can add .00062, to waive the acquisition fee. (which you don't want to do.. cheaper to add the fee).

The lease calculation is really simple math, if they give you all the numbers... Ask the dealer for the NET CAP cost. If it's different than the "dealer provided price", then ask them what makes up the difference. Then, ask them if they are marking up the money factor for extra profit, as you know the base rate is .00027 for 36 months. that rate markup adds about $900 to your total cost, so it's not trivial.

The fact is: Most dealers don't know how to calculate a lease, they only know how to punch the numbers into a computer. You don't need a degree in applied mathematics to calculate a lease. Mutiplication, addition, subtraction and division is all it takes.

If you post your numbers here, we'll do a calculation.

Thanks for your help and the quick response. The numbers they gave me are:

Sale price: 23988 MF: .00099 Residual: 14730.90

My payment calculation came out to be $295, while they quoted $312 (owing to the "fees").

Thanks, Paul

@paul_mcc said: Thanks for your help and the quick response. The numbers they gave me are:

Sale price: 23988 MF: .00099 Residual: 14730.90

My payment calculation came out to be $295, while they quoted $312 (owing to the "fees").

Thanks, Paul

Do you have the MSRP? Can't calculate a lease without it..

Sorry about that. MSRP = $27015.00 (including destination of $820)

@paul_mcc said: Sorry about that. MSRP = $27015.00 (including destination of $820)

Then, your calculations are correct.. $295.. But, the acquisition fee could make that up.. Please refer to my answer above... you need answers from this dealer, as to why you aren't getting .00027 for the money factor... This is a 36 month lease, right?

Yes, it's for a 36 month, 10,000 mile lease. They have now agreed to give me .00027 after my inquiry. They did not however provide me the net capitol cost, only the final negotiated cost, despite my inquiry. I'm going to be following up, as they are now quoting a lease of $299 per month + tax, which obviously doesn't add up. Thanks again for your help, greatly appreciate it.

Got the Adjusted capitalized cost. This is what I was told (I'm potentially trading in my GTI 5 months early to get one of the last German ones): _ The ADJ Cap Cost is $25,178.10

Your total Payoff for $16,100.98

Approx trade in value $15k to $15.5 ( were using $15,500 based on all examples so far)

Forgot to mention this to you. Hope this help with your calculations_

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 7,981

@paul_mcc said: Got the Adjusted capitalized cost. This is what I was told (I'm potentially trading in my GTI 5 months early to get one of the last German ones): _ The ADJ Cap Cost is $25,178.10

Your total Payoff for $16,100.98

Approx trade in value $15k to $15.5 ( were using $15,500 based on all examples so far)

Forgot to mention this to you. Hope this help with your calculations_

Ah - this helps. They are rolling in the negative equity from your current car into the cap cost. Using a 55% residual and a .00027 MF I get a pre-tax payment of $297.47. This splits the difference between your calcs and the dealers.

One other thing - what state is this? Tax for leases is calculated differently in Illinois, Texas and Maryland.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I'm in CA, so fortunately not as complicated. Thanks again, you guys have been super helpful.

@paul_mcc said: I'm in CA, so fortunately not as complicated. Thanks again, you guys have been super helpful.

Please come back and let us know how you did. And, I'm a bit jealous as I've test driven a GTI but it was a bit out of my budget when I was ready to lease.

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Final deal was for a 3 year, 30,000 mile lease.

$290 per month, $315 with tax. 0 down, $750 out the door (first month, title/license etc).

@paul_mcc said: Final deal was for a 3 year, 30,000 mile lease.

$290 per month, $315 with tax. 0 down, $750 out the door (first month, title/license etc).

Excellent! What color, how many doors, and - most importantly - manual or DSG?

Charcoal grey, 4 door (Wolfsburg Edition only comes in 4). Sadly, DSG. My last GTI was a manual, but could only get this price on one with DSG. That being said, it's still pretty awesome.

• jeremyp1jeremyp1 Posts: 1

Black, 4 door (Wolfsburg Edition) $750 (first payment + DMV Fee) $340 (36mo/15k, including tax)

(mf: 0.00027, residual value: 52%)

But I think 15k/year is too much, going to change it to 12k/year so the price should be $740 + $325