Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Blazer 4x4 Lights Blinking

snowmillersnowmiller Member Posts: 1
edited February 2014 in Chevrolet
2000 Blazer 4x4 Got it stuck on an icy patch today. Reved it in Drive, then in Reverse, then then too quickly put it into park. Heard a noise that I heard once before when I put the car into park before fully stopping.
I didn't notice the 4x4 light blinking until I tried to switch into LO. Now all 4x4 modes just blink and the front tire doesn't turn. Could this just be a switch or am I venturing into a transmission or other problem?
I need some troubleshooting ideas.
Thanks.
Oh yeah, I just remembered that I drove through some a foot of water 10 minutes earlier. could this be an electrical short on a switch?

Comments

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    I cannot help you on the 4x4 issue, but the sound you heard when you shifted to park while the wheels were still turning was the spring loaded parking pawl trying to seat. It cannot do so while the wheels are turning, and makes a horrible sound. In *most* cases, no permanent harm is done. This would not likely have anything to do with your 4x4 issue, however.

I will leave that to the 4-wheelers on the board.
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Member Posts: 160

A friend from work has this blinking light issue with her 2002 Blazer 4X4 with the 4.3 motor. It will NOT engage in 4WD. Could this be a fuse problem or is it more serious? And here in Pa with all the snow we're having right now, she needs it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

That blinking light is saying "Scan Me! Scan Me!". You'd need the proper type of scan tool that can address this system and come up with some codes for us, in order for us to be of any further help. Could be fuse, could be the switching motor, the actuator, a broken line---the list goes on.

Thanks, MrShift, here's what I've been able to find out from another source since I originally posted. I went on a website that I'll assume is for seasoned mechanics because of the technical nature detailed. It said to first to find and pull the fuse inder the hood for the TCCM (Transfer Case Control Module) and wait 30 seconds, then reinstall. Then it says this action may "wake up" the module if it has gone into "sleep mode" (Not sure I understand this) It also mentions a DTC CO550. If I read this right, if this code is present my friend needs to replace the module, is this making any sense at all? I know that an aftermarket TCCM for this vehicle is over $300. Again this info I just mentioned seemed to be geared to the veteran mechanic, talking about a Tech2 and other things I'm just not familiar with. Again I would appreciate your comments on this matter to better inform the owner of this Blazer. Thank you!

Well okay, presuming that the fuse is good and doesn't keep blowing out, and that no other codes are present, then that module is a good "guess" but not a sure thing.

In any event, here's how to replace it if your friend wants to take that guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnRKCahwU8A

TY, Mr. Shift. I did see this video that you posted on how to change the module on a Cardone site, even had the same girl on it. I will tell the owner of the Blazer about this when I see her at work tonight. I'll assume she'll want to take it to the shop anyway just to be sure that it is in fact the TCCM. I got prices on that part from various sources yesterday and all of them are over $300 because they carry a core charge for the old part that needs to be returned. I'll post how this turns out at a later date.

edited February 2014

From what I've been reading, a lot of it depends on whether other codes are present or not. If they are, then the TCCM becomes less of a sure guess. And we can't discount wiring issues either.

I took a few minutes this morning as we were leaving work to look in the underhood fuse box of my friend's '02 Blazer to find that TCCM fuse. Apparently, I must have misread that technical bulletin because I see no fuse or anything labeled "TCCM". Even looking at the map under the lid of the fusebox do I see that designation. I know it's a 30 amp fuse, but I wonder if it carries a different designation than "TCCM"? My goal was to remove the fuse as instructed and wait 30 seconds before re-installing it and see if that did anything. It's kinda COLD here in eastern Pa in the mornings, so I really didn't want to stand there freezing too long, but this issue has me just a little more than curious. My friend's brother who used to work as an auto mechanic told her to "wait till the spring thaw" and then he'll take a look at it. I guess he was joking, although she told him she couldn't use her 4WD if we get another whopper(already had one)of a snow. Think SPRING, I guess!!

edited March 2014

15 in the instrument panel fuse box. it's a 10 amp.

edited March 2014

15 in the instrument panel fusebox? Wow, guess I was looking in the wrong area then, Mr. Shift! The TSB I told you about earlier defineately said the "underhood fuse box. Well, we looked again and found nothing. so I'll thank you for giving me a new direction regarding this issue. In any case, my friend says now there's a light on the dash indicating a 4WD problem. I'll tell her about this latest info from you and go from there. Many thanks!

Keep us informed please! Your feedback might help other people who visit!