Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,668

It's not that bad - they only have about 88 days inventory on hand. Most other midsized sedans are much higher than that.

• Yeah, a few dealerships in the Twin Cities are offering the Fusion at up to $4-5 K off MSRP. I was surprised, as I always hear of how expensive they are in comparison to other midsize sedans. However, compared to such competitors as the Accord and 6, it's actually less expensive, as I'm not seeing anywhere near $4-5k discounts on those models. It sure makes the Fusion a tempting choice, but I have no idea how reliable the 1.5 Ecoboost will be after hearing about all the problems with the 1.6 Ecoboost.

And ab348, I have been reading more about Mazda's rust issues, and it's almost scaring me out of a 2014 Mazda 6. I live in Minnesota where the roads are salted and where my car is outside 24/7. My 2007 Accord has held up very well (it helps that it's Carbon Bronze Pearl, so it doesn't show the dirt), so to think of even the possibility of a rust issue on a new car is unsettling.

• suydamsuydam Posts: 930

I had an '04 Mazada 6 wagon that is still on the road and doing fine. I also owned a '90 Mazda 626 and an '88 323. Each lasted well over 100k. All were kept outside. We have cold winters and live in a rural area. I would have no hesitation about buying another Mazda. Today's cars of any make are so much better now than they were 20 years ago.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,778

Mazda's rust problems seemed to be model-specific. The Mazda 3 had terrible rust issues. Mazda fans say that the company made changes around 2007 or 2008 that addressed them, but it is still too soon to say for sure. They also had problems with the minivan and the Mazda 5. The 6 seemed largely immune, but it was made in a different plant (Ford's Flat Rock site). The new one is no longer made there, so who knows.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,193
    edited February 23

Do any of you guys use a car cover? I am done washing it and re-washing it every other day! :@

Anyway, there are 2 layer covers all the way up to 6 layer. I found an Optima specific, 4 layer cover on eBay for 31.95 with free shipping. It has a fleece lining and mirror pockets. Too good to be true?

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686

I have a 2005 Mazda6 that's seen 10 Minnesota (Twin Cities) winters, 9 with its previous owner, in 165k miles and no signs of rust on it yet. From its appearance, I think it was cared for well by its previous owner, a woman, and I wash it as often as I can in the winter but THIS winter has been a real challenge to keep salt off a car for any length of time, as you know.

I also have a 10-year-old Elantra GT, and it has only a quarter-sized spot of rust near the rear license plate. I think automakers in general have been doing a better job in making cars rust resistant in the past 10 years or so. It used to be that every older Honda you'd see in the Twin Cities would be rusty. The engines would last forever, but the body... not so much. But I haven't noticed that as much in the past 10 years or so.

@serenity185 said:

And ab348, I have been reading more about Mazda's rust issues, and it's almost scaring me out of a 2014 Mazda 6. I live in Minnesota where the roads are salted and where my car is outside 24/7. My 2007 Accord has held up very well (it helps that it's Carbon Bronze Pearl, so it doesn't show the dirt), so to think of even the possibility of a rust issue on a new car is unsettling.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,618

@cski The car should be clean before you cover it, so you still would have to wash a lot.

I've toying with the idea of getting a Fusion with less power, so I took a look at some hybrids today. Definitely would want the 18 inch wheels. SE doesn't look quite was good as a Titanium, but i could live with it. Incentives are a lot less on a hybrid, but I could make that up in fuels savings in about 3 years. Just thinking about things, at this point.

edited February 23

Well, I would imagine the new Mazda 6 is being made in a very modern factory with state of the art rustproofing of it's high strength steel components. Don't get scared. It is a great car. I think it is made in Mazda's Yamaguchi plant in Japan.

edited February 23

@explorerx4 said: cski The car should be clean before you cover it, so you still would have to wash a lot.

I've toying with the idea of getting a Fusion with less power, so I took a look at some hybrids today. Definitely would want the 18 inch wheels. SE doesn't look quite was good as a Titanium, but i could live with it. Incentives are a lot less on a hybrid, but I could make that up in fuels savings in about 3 years. Just thinking about things, at this point.

I have noticed that the Fusion 17" rims look like the optima 16's. They are not commiserate with the cars beautiful design. I would want the 18" and the 2.0T. It is on the heavy side. However, a hybrid electric motor has 100% of it's torque available at 0 (zero) rpm, and would save me a ton of money at the pump due to my congested city driving. If you like to take long trips though, the battery and electric motor are dead weight on the highway. If it was my money I would still buy the SE 2.0T. To be honest, I don't like the center stack on the Fusion. All those flat panel "clicky" buttons just doesn't do it for me. I want knurled knobs, more like an Audi.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,687

from Auto News

Sonata drags down Hyundai

Brand ranks near the bottom on 2014 J.D. Power dependability study

Ryan Beene

Automotive News February 24, 2014

LOS ANGELES -- Hyundai notched big gains in its sales, market share and image when its swoopy 2011 Sonata hit the market. But barely three years later, the mid-sized car has left Hyundai with a black eye.

Problems reported by owners of the 2011 Sonata were the main reason that the Hyundai brand ranked fifth from the bottom in the latest dependability rankings from J.D. Power and Associates....

more at the link:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140224/RETAIL/302249966/sonata-drags-down-hyundai

• ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,665

@benjaminh said: from Auto News

Sonata drags down Hyundai

Brand ranks near the bottom on 2014 J.D. Power dependability study

Ryan Beene

Automotive News February 24, 2014

LOS ANGELES -- Hyundai notched big gains in its sales, market share and image when its swoopy 2011 Sonata hit the market. But barely three years later, the mid-sized car has left Hyundai with a black eye.

Problems reported by owners of the 2011 Sonata were the main reason that the Hyundai brand ranked fifth from the bottom in the latest dependability rankings from J.D. Power and Associates....

more at the link:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140224/RETAIL/302249966/sonata-drags-down-hyundai

So they're ranked 27th now...but if you look at the site you'll see that their problems per 100 vehicles is around the same as it was 5 years ago when they were ranked 14th.

It's just that everybody else has raised their reliability (or decreased their problems per 100 vehicles).

I've used this argument previously when defending VW's ranking...for me it's a wash when it's under 200 problems per 100 vehicles.

Most cars have over 100 problems per 100 vehicles. So odds are you're going to have to go to the dealer to get an item fixed; you'll have the inconvenience of taking your car to the dealer no matter what you buy. So if you're under 200 problems per 100 vehicles...then you just tell the dealer, "fix this AND that" instead of saying "fix ONLY this".

But as a general statement...less defects is better (especially after warranty period).

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,954

I really don't know if JD Powers takes into consideration what kind or how serious a "problem" might be but it would make a difference to me. Having a very minor problem taken care of during the first oil change at the dealer is a lot different than having to leave your car for three days because of a serious safety recall or a "do not drive" type of thing.

I think the Sonata probably has pretty good reliability. As ivan said, it's just that some of the other brands have improved even faster.

I'm pretty sure the Sonata was an all new design, at the very least a huge jump forward for Hyundai, so first year problems are to be expected.

edited February 25

Replying to m6user: Right. The one problem I had was the center console latch was partially broken. $2 part warranty repair.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686

I've had 0 problems on my wife's 2013 Sonata in 15 months. Maybe Hyundai fixed the "bugs" by then.

Many people reached by the JD power surveys will put things down that may aggravate them, but are not actually broken. Like "my phone will not connect to cars Bluetooth sometimes". Well, mine does that sometimes too, and is a known issue, but is generally a setting problem somewhere in the setup. That's a lot different than say a CEL code issue.

• lovmycarlovmycar Posts: 15

I can only comment with first hand news on Hyundai/Kia since 2009 when I bought a new 2009 Sonata SE with a v-6, great car now my EX has it. I opted for a Optima to replace it and have now replaced that one with a 2014 Optima SX-T. I have nothing but good to say about all three of them. This one I have now is absolutely awesome, smooth, quiet and handles like a dream. Power wise it is unreal, this thing will get you in trouble, lol "use the cruise"!!

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,432
    edited February 27

lovmycar,

Kia, Hyundai have come along way. They give you alot of car for your money with a 5 yr peice of mind bumper to bumper and 10 yr powertrain. Its always a great thing to be able to sell your car within 5 years and the new owner still has piece of mind on the warranty.

My 2013 Genesis R-spec sedan is 430hp fast, super quite inside no road noise, , awesome sound system, and sharp looking . Spent 43k on a car that other competitors get 60 to 70 grand.

But again its only a Hyundai..... What would i know about nice cars.?............lol

Enjoy your new ride its a sharp looking car............... just dont try and race me.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• Looking for a source of info (reliability, power, quietness) for 2014 Buick Verano, Chevy Malibu and Ford Fusion. Looking for a car that is quiet, and power for mountain driving. I drove a Malibu LTZ, and found it a little noisy and a little weak on power at 7500-8500 feet pass climbing, but acceptable. Trying to get ideas of other cars to compare with. I consider all three cars very nice inside and outside, but any other ideas on a $25,000 car to look at would be appreciated.

@scotty49 said: . Looking for a car that is quiet, and power for mountain driving. A turbo car will lose less power at high altitudes.

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,668

Fusion 2.0L EB is quiet with plenty of power and the turbo should help at altitude. Reliability on the 2014s is much better than the 2013s.

scotty49,

The only other cars to maybe consider in that category are lower end models

Accord , Camry, legacy, Maxima........ OR Sonata, Optima

edited February 28

Verano is technically a "compact luxury sedan", and is going to be a bit smaller in the back, as it shares its platform with the Chevy Cruze. Powertrain wise, both the Verano and the Malibu are comparable with the mid-size segment. The Malibu also has a smaller back seat than the competition, as it's wheelbase is shorter than the pack. This was done in order to make room for the new Impala., which is classified as "large sedan". Complicated. I would compare the Accord Touring and Optima SX-T myself. I do have a question. I see under your profile that you have 4 late model cars. Obviously you can afford what you want. Have you ever driven and Audi A6 3.0T ? Awesome, and starts at $42k.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,071

@cski said: The Malibu also has a smaller back seat than the competition, as it's wheelbase is shorter than the pack.

The backseat myth seems to have floated around because the previous generator Malibu has a very generous back seat area for a midsize car. But the 2013/2014 has a seat better than a couple of cars cited as equivalents in the market.

Malibu Legroom 36.8 in Optima legroom 34.6 in Sonata legroom 34.7 in

If I recall the Malibu is rated 36 mpg while I noticed the Sonata/Opt are rated 35 mpg with the standard engines.

I didn't compare with Honda and Camry. I assume they have slightly more legroom.

@scotty49 said: I drove a Malibu LTZ, and found it a little noisy and a little weak on power at 7500-8500 feet pass climbing, but acceptable.

Which engine did it have? 2.5 or the 2.0 turbo. The Verano also is available with the 2.0 turbo. The Sonato and Optima both have turbo available.

edited February 28

Here is my Accord exl v-6 brerakdown

ft/bk legroom.........................42.5/ 38.5 mpg v6................................21/ 34 hp=.... 278@6200

EXL 4cyl........................... F/B leg= same... mpg 4cyl..........................27/ 36 hp=.... 185@6400

Buying at 25k gets you lower end versions of prior above mentioned cars.

If you could spend 27k excluding taxes Buying a Honda Accord exl V6 gets you the best midsize car in its class IMHO. and most car reviews agreeing..The Ford Fusion might be egual in price/ size, and mpg. Reliability, Build , and Resale may be a different story thou.

Otherwise Sonata and Optima could be the next best choices.

@akirby said: Fusion 2.0L EB is quiet with plenty of power and the turbo should help at altitude. Reliability on the 2014s is much better than the 2013s.

I have to admit that I am smitten by the 2013-14 MK-Z. I love the back end (I like taillights that go all the way across in general). I didn't realize that you can pick up a base 2.0T for $35,000.

That is not far off the upper echelon price of our fine group of sedans. With about $6000 of equity, I could actually afford it.

I found a pic of the interior I like. I really wish it had SOME buttons (even hidden ones), but the designers went hi-tech and sleek. It works for me in the looks department.

cski: I actually like the MKZ too. And it's a lot of car for the money. But I think it also has the same flaw that the Optima has: poor rear visibility. There's a big thing among some car stylists these days for thick rear pillars and a high belt-line, which gives kind of a "cocoon" feeling of being enclosed that I'm not fond of. People in other cars can't see in very well, but at the same time the driver and passengers in the MLZ can't see out that well either.

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,954

I just read that the 2015 Focus is substantially going back to buttons because Ford is just getting crucified for that touch screen, touch dash capacitance sliding whatever stuff that people hate. They went back to buttons recently on the F-150 too. I would bet money that this will make it's way to the Fusion and the MKZ very shortly.

m6user: how do you like your Mazda6? What kind of mpg are you getting? Manual or auto. Really like the looks of that car. To me it's the best looking midsize car right now. And Mazda is really on a roll with their Skyactiv engineering.