Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Geo Metro Engine Questions

18910111214»

Comments

• zendenzenden Posts: 62
    $1800. is way to much for that job. I am sure that you can find a back yard mechanic that can take the head off in 2 hours or less, send the head out to the machine shop rebuild it for $300. and bolt it back on in 2.5 hours or less. With parts labor and machine work it can be done for. $850. It is the easiest and the least expensive car to fix. The engine only weighs 125 lbs. it is like working on a lawn mower; that is why it is inexpensive. I know I am a mechanic. My first 94 Metro I bought on a Thursday, pulled the engine out with my bare hands Friday, put it on the bench, overhauled it over the weekend and was back on the road Monday. Yes I may be bragging a little bet, but the point is; that with this info you could get resourceful, ask around. If necessary pull it your self and send it out. Maybe there is a school around that work on cars for next to nothing. I would suggest mill the head, lap the valves, and replace any exhaust valves if needed. Also repair the primary problem that caused the overheating. As I said these cars are easy to work on an worth the up keep. Warning! Many GEO’s are known to have rust on the left front driver’s side frame rail; the part of the rail where the lower control arm bolts into; this is sometimes caused from sea mist and road salt mostly Many times there is a hole there the size of a soft ball, it is very expensive and time consuming to fix. If there is a small hole there treat it!, fix the engine and drive it for many years to come. If the hole is large think twice before putting much cash into that car. The rust holes only happen on that side of the frame because the passenger side gets a slight mist of oil from over the years, in turn it is protected from corrosion.
  • Keep in mind when paying a mechanic, I just did my head gasket last week - FOR $40 in parts! (I should have replaced the timing belt too, which would have added a few more dollars) My head did not need rebuilt, they often do, I paid $150 the last time I did. I hope you have the time to shop, and do not have to pay through the nose...
  • Friends - I'm living in Brazil, and own a Suzuki Swift Geo Metro 1995 manufactured in Canada - 1.3 cc engine and 4 cylinders, it is so difficult to find rocker arm (4 rocker) - in Brazil did not care much these vehicles only swift 1.0 - 3 cylinders and need the help of you to buy this 4 rocker - they are roller-if you have to send the photo to checks - help me please carefully - jaquiel@ig.com.br :cry:
  • 2000 chevy metro 4cylunder 5 speed

Runs great, randomly loses power, sputters and pops out of the exhaust then dies. Sometimes starts back up some times wont untill it sits. I have replaced the following with no help

Fuel pump and sock cleaned tank
    Plugs wires and coil packs
    Cam and crank sensors
    Timing belt and sprockets

Any ideas
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,911

@handy_man1991 said: 2000 chevy metro 4cylunder 5 speed
    Runs great, randomly loses power, sputters and pops out of the exhaust then dies. Sometimes starts back up some times wont untill it sits. I have replaced the following with no help
    Fuel pump and sock cleaned tank Plugs wires and coil packs Cam and crank sensors Timing belt and sprockets
    Any ideas

Perhaps something blocking/stuck in fuel line? I had a fuel filter element break up on a vehicle once, and a small piece of filter element got into the fuel line and I had the same type of behavior. For no reason, it would sputter and die randomly. Sometimes revving the engine would help keep it from stalling out. Turned out the small piece in the line was stuck at a bend in the fuel line and was acting like a butterfly valve. it would turn and block off the fuel flow and the engine would lose power or die. Once it turned back from relief of the fuel pressure, the engine would start again. Cleaning out the fuel line solved the problem.

And welcome to the forums! Always nice to see/meet the new faces. If you have any questions about the forums or Edmunds, don't hesitate to ask! That's what we're here for as moderators

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• The car is not eqiupped with a fuel filter. It has a fuel sock on the pump. I replaced it when I did the pump. The old pump was original and the sock on it was complete. Good idea tho thank you
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,911

@handy_man1991 said: The car is not eqiupped with a fuel filter. It has a fuel sock on the pump. I replaced it when I did the pump. The old pump was original and the sock on it was complete. Good idea tho thank you

It was just that you didn't mention the fuel line, so...

Hope it stays simple for you!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Any one else have any ideas
18910111214»