Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Impala Reduced Engine Power

boogeymann1boogeymann1 Posts: 1
edited January 29 in Chevrolet

HELP! I have an 06 Chevy Impala with a little over 100K miles. Routine maintenance always taken care of. As of the past couple months I have been getting the ENGINE POWER REDUCED message on the dash. Power is kicked back, and speed is reduced as well. I have already taken the advice of the other posts and replaced the throttle body first...did well for a while, and then error popped back up. Yesterday I replaced the accelerator position sensor while we had warmer weather...ran fine last night, only to give me the message AGAIN this morning when it began to get colder outside. I am out of ideas. Anybody have any isight?

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913

@boogeymann1 said: As of the past couple months I have been getting the ENGINE POWER REDUCED message on the dash.

Hi - I'm not sure anyone has found a one-size-fits-all solution for this problem, but you might read through our Chevy Impala Reduced Engine Power discussion to get ideas.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ryan93ryan93 Posts: 2

I have this problem with the stabilitrak/traction control on a 2011 Impala with 46,000 miles. I thought it was due to living in Minnesota with the cold weather, road salt and grime, etc. but I have found other people from all over the country with the same problem. It happens not only to the Impala, either. I've seen the same from the Malibu, Traverse, and Yukon. Mine is going to the dealer for service next week. I reported this issue to GM and they opened a report. They look at issues on a case by case basis. The service tech at the dealer said they see a lot of this problem but it can be caused by different things. I also reported it to SaferCar.gov. Anyone experiencing this should file a report with SaferCar.gov. They take action when they notice a trend.

I also notice that this problem often needs to be repaired multiple times. Has anyone had this problem fixed so it was totally fixed? I've seen the problem diagnosed as the throttle body, sensors, and hub. Very disappointed in Chevy...I've owned new Chevys since 1995 and think I'm going to switch to Toyota.

• fishing72fishing72 Posts: 1
    Wow. I can't believe how many problems people are having with the reduced engine power issue. I had a terrible scare the other day driving when all of a sudden the power reduced and I dropped to 20mph on the interstate. I have read all the posts so hopefully the sensor on the gas pedal is top blame. Although this is just one of many issues I am having with this car. I will NEVER recommend anyone buying a Chevy impala. Dangerous vehicle.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,166

Hello Everyone,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your vehicles. Please let us know if you would like for us to take a further look into you concerns. We can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com if our assistance is needed. Please include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership in the email. Thank you.

Kristen A. GM Customer Care

• jlg7jlg7 Posts: 16
    edited April 1

I wanted to know if anyone thinks that all of these reduced power errors are all related to the ignition recall?? Even though the recall for the ignition switch is not in my car model (2011 Traverse), I would like to know if related. I have also had multiple repairs done for this issue. My car has had the reduced power happen at least 8 times if not more. I have had my throttle body replaced, sensors, etc. Basically everything they said would fix this has not!!! Any thoughts would be appreciated. I agree with the above comments. I have risked my family's lives by driving this car!!!!!!GM even gave me an extension of my warrenty to 100,000 miles but only after I called the corporate offices because of this issue of the Reduced Power without warning!

• a_ra_r Posts: 9
    I have a 2007 impala LT 104,800 miles same issue took it to 2 shops they can't figure it out. Midas said it was spark plugs and wires the throttle body needed cleaned and needs EVAP canister. Did all of that same problem. The 2nd shop does not know what is causing the issue I am the original owner of this car and I can say that this car has given me more trouble than any car I have owned previously. And those have been older with many more miles. I contacted GM as suggested above and I'm still waiting for a reply.