Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826

So I am reading your post while drinking hot coffee. ;)

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    Saw a funny post on Yahoo Answers, Car Dep't--a young driver was asking if he could "fight" a ticket he got---seems that he passed a school bus that had blinking lights and a STOP sign out, and in front of the school bus was a cop car. He was wondering if cops are "allowed to hide like that". When someone commented that he might have been just a little zoned out not to notice both a big yellow school bus AND a cop car IN a school zone, he replied "yeah, but the guy behind me did it, too and HE didn't get stopped!"

(me, smacking forehead).

should be way stiffer than a ticket, IMHO. Hell, I'd love for someone like that to take it to court. I'm sure the judge would have a field day.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796

Hahaha; yeah, those school buses are difficult to see. Why can't they paint them a color somebody actually sees? Or, better yet, make them big?

My wife passed a stopped bus one time. She was driving along a major arterial (can't say that I agree with the concept of a school bus loading children on a 4-lane, full-speed road in the first place, but I digress) and there was a school bus ahead of her. The school bus starts slowing down a little, then starts braking. So, my wife, still going full speed, changes to the left lane as she closes in on the bus. Lo and behold, there is a second bus directly in front of the first! Yes, this bus has lights flashing (yellows at this point, but it was nearly stopped, so lights turned to red as she's alongside it), which were absolutely blocked by the size of the second bus.

She hit the brakes to slow, but there was no way she could stop in time, so she just bailed on that and traveled through. That was really poor situational awareness on the part of the bus drivers. 1. First bus should have waited for traffic to clear before posting reds, and 2., second bus could have done a great service by activating its yellows to warn traffic behind it.

Thankfully, they only load students from curb-side on that road (rather than forcing them to cross this highway). My wife called the bus barn and told them what happened, to which the dispatcher said, "Are you afraid the bus driver called you in?" She says, "What?! No, I'm concerned that someone could get hurt or killed in situations like that. If you have buses traveling in tandem, I think you should instruct all your drivers to activate their yellow lights to alert drivers whose vision may be impaired by the rear buses that a stop is occurring up ahead."

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425

When your wife stops behind a blinking school bus - does she turn on her Hazard flashers to warn those behind her?

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

What an idiot!

Another thing that really bugs me are the people who race up to a stop sign and apply their brakes at the last minute causing the other driver to fear they aren't going to stop at all.

I had a guy do that to me yesterday and I pointed my car at his for a couple of seconds.

I never saw a pair of bigger eyeballs!

• Options

@euphonium said:
    When your wife stops behind a blinking school bus - does she turn on her Hazard flashers to warn those behind her?

Sure, depending on the situation. More typically she (and I) will do that when we approach a dangerous situation ahead that we can see, but others behind us may not yet be able to. If that just happens to be a stopped bus, I don't see us treating it any different... and we don't drive buses.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    edited February 2014

In Germany, it is not unusual for drivers in traffic jams on the autobahn to use hazards when at the end of the line, to warn approaching fast moving traffic of a quick slowdown.

Regarding school bus stuff, in WA, cars on 3+ lane roads do not have to stop for a bus, when approaching in the opposite/oncoming direction. I don't think it's that way in most places.

Easy drive today, but coming home I got behind a weirdly slow moving Lexus ES, and decided to pace it, for amusement. Eventually I had to turn, and got alongside it. Reason for slowness? Phone to ear, of course.

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

Maybe he could fight the ticket by pointing out that he had carefully calculated his stopping distance relative to the children near the bus, and there would be no problem stopping in time... well, probably not. Also that the design of the road makes it safe to pass a school bus under those conditions, so the law shouldn't apply in his case. And if he fought the ticket, he could make sure the case is heard in a court as far as possible from where the cop's station is, to make it less likely the cop will show up for court. And there's probably other tactics he could try.

Or he could man up and pay the fine.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949

@euphonium said:

Well, c'mon, I'm sure she is not driving something that would completely obscure a bus.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154

I've noticed the same practice of the buses behind one picking up children turning on their caution large yellow lights to indicate a hazard.

We recently had a traffic slowdown on the interstate where a work crew was taking down their lighted change lanes rolling sign. A lady slowed her Impala behind the semi and a semi behind her didn't bother slowing. Crushed and rolled her car in front of him across a gore, over an exiting ramp, and onto the other side of the ramp.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Haven't had to do that for a while, but what I do is pump my brakes even after I've stopped to make the brake lights flash so any drivers behind me will have less of an excuse when they plow into my rear end.

• Options

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    Haven't had to do that for a while, but what I do is pump my brakes even after I've stopped to make the brake lights flash so any drivers behind me will have less of an excuse when they plow into my rear end.

This was caught on a camera on the tanker in from of the Impala AND on an ODOT road camera. The ODOT footage is shown in the black video link with warning. Trucker didn't even slow down from 70-75 in a 65 zone.

Yusef is in BIG trouble along with his company.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local/wb-i-70-closed-englewood-three-vehicle-crash/ndM7r/

http://www.whio.com/videos/news/video-i-70-fatal-crash-caught-on-odot-camera/vCQyWT/

Really inconsiderate. I try to avoid driving with semis behind me.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

GEESH--talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time! Poor woman.

• Options
    edited February 2014

Should be vehicular homicide. As cost cutting has impacted the trucking industry, there's a lot of dangerous stuff out there. Another race to the bottom.

• Options
    edited February 2014

The real surprise in this story is that the trucker was an employee. Maybe they got the story wrong. Seems like most of the trucking companies hire independent drivers to try to shield themselves from the lawsuits. A friend of ours back in Boise, a local trucker, was run over by a sleepy Prime trucker who was cheating on his work log and had been driving way over his allotted time. Trying to get the medical paid was the usual long drawn out legal battle.

• Options

Last night was on foot, saw one car make a right turn from a straight lane, then 30 seconds later another tried it (a G coupe with no lights on well after dark, no less), but tried it with cars in the turn lane, and got honked at, and gave up. What is it with turning from the wrong lane...

This morning while on foot got stuck at a dumbly sequenced light - about 20 cars were backed up, no cross traffic, everyone just sitting there on red. Ah, "engineers".

• Options

I'm about to enter a crosswalk on foot...BIG SIGN that says "NO TURN ON RED"....yeah, you can guess the rest.....thank Evolution for "peripheral vision".

• Options

Motorcycle Cop?

They LOVE to hide around the corners and watch for that!

• Options

Don't I wish. Silly me...I thought the bright yellow crosswalk with the large blinking triangle and blinking lane lights and tweeting alert speaker might have saved me.....

And to think, they are still out there as we speak....driving.....

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

@backy said:
    Also that the design of the road makes it safe to pass a school bus under those conditions, so the law shouldn't apply in his case. >

I think you are alluding to the basic speed law that requires a safety hazard to be present since the speed law is safe and reasonable despite what the sign might say. It's not that the law doesn't apply, it's that the officer failed to worry about that section of the law regarding safety and reasonable hazard being present and just wanted to write a ticket on a technicality that the car was moving faster than the sign said to move. It's time enforcement concentrated on things that actually cause safety hazards, like Georgia and the left lane lingering law working it's way through the legislature currently. They are doing it right, it will be a misdemeanor violation because the crime should be highly punishable.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

Is there any law you have to install your new license plates on your new car in a timely manner? For me a timely manner is within a year since I'm in no hurry to help photo enforcement.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Won my latest "basic speed law" case in San Diego. They tried to steal my money by telling me I asked for my real trial in person too late after the decision in the trial by mail. You have 20 days, and somehow the court was trying to count incorrectly. Anyway, I hired a lawyer to help me since my time was limited, but ended up not needing them as the officer didn't show up. Then again, maybe he didn't show up because they got bombarded in paperwork from my lawyer.

• Options

Where?

I swear I've seen Bellevue cops just look away.

@isellhondas said:
    Motorcycle Cop?

They LOVE to hide around the corners and watch for that!

• Options
    edited March 2014

Drove south this afternoon and home this evening. 405 was a mess even at 2pm - semis at random speeds, old guy in a C-Max going 15 under, keeping a 100 yard gap in front of him, and changing lanes with no rhyme or reason, way too many cars going too slow for no reason - volumes weren't too huge, and weather was fine. First world country, ha. Once I got off that, the roads were better, worst was a Camry in the left lane going under the limit, "driver" had a dumb dog on their lap, head out the window.

Drive home was much better due to it being late enough to use the carpool lane, no LLCs or real idiots.

• Options

@backy said:
    Especially inconsiderate given a rental Caravan would be relatively new vehicle, thus equipped with TPMS.

Playing devil's advocate, since I know Chrysler's have deplorable and lamentable reliability, perhaps the TPMS was broken.

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

Yes, it was Chrysler's fault, totally. No fault or responsibility whatsoever on the part of the driver.

As usual.

• Options

@backy said:
    Yes, it was Chrysler's fault, totally. No fault or responsibility whatsoever on the part of the driver.

As usual.

Well, yeah! If I was responsible, why would the manufacturer even bother to install the nanny devices in the first place?! :p

• Options

Driver holding dog while driving commits the pooch to being killed when the SRS slams into him. Dog gone!

• Options

That's exactly what I was thinking. Of course, the typical idiot who does that might not usually reach speeds enough to deploy an airbag.

@euphonium said:
    Driver holding dog while driving commits the pooch to being killed when the SRS slams into him. Dog gone!

• Options

Saw a couple of winners out not long ago. First a smartie in a W221 S-class, filthy neglected looking car, driver making multiple unsignaled lane changes and had wipers going at full speed in no rain (from my experience, a good sign that someone is oblivious or of no skill). I passed on the right when he made a weird wide right turn onto a wide street - he was looking down at a phone. Shocking. Shortly after saw a late model CR-V that straddled two lanes for several blocks, couldn't see why - older male driver, which surprised me.

• Options

That wasn't me in the CRV....HONEST!

• Options
    gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    edited March 2014

Today, I was driving home from work and had to merge onto one of many highways to get there. Of course, there was a car in front of me as I entered the on-ramp. However, that car (a Toyota Yaris) decided that the best course of action to merge onto a highway, whose cars are travelling at 65mph, would be to slow down and then stop at the merge point.

I didn't think that was all that good of an idea, so I hit the gas, passed the stopped car in the breakdown lane, and quickly (and easily) merged onto the highway at speed.

Why do people not understand that, in order to merge onto a highway, one must actually be travelling at the speed of traffic on said highway.

AAAAHHHH!!!!

• Options

The Yaris stopped because he had to wind up the rubber band.

• Options

Maybe it wasn't his fault---a headwind might have stopped the car?

Stopping at the merge point is actually very efficient, as you can get hit from two directions at once, thereby doubling your odds.

• Options
    gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707

Well, it happened again today, with a late model Lexus stopping and then turning their signal on. I did the same thing as before and, again, had no problem merging.

• Options

Winners today - newer Sienna weaving and dawdling around - why? Older gent with a phone to his ear...take that, youngins!

Also saw a woman in a Jetta wagon breeze through a stale red light, and no doubt a nice person in a lifted white Tahoe try to jump a queue by driving in the turn lane, Russian dashcam style. They didn't get far. I was thinking maybe they were going to turn but changed their mind...but I'm probably being too nice.

• Options

Commercial van in middle lane of a 3-laner, left blinker on for at least 2 miles. I'm waiting to make my pass on the left, watching his front wheels. He then merges into the right lane (with left blinker on), then exits freeway at last minute (with left blinker on). On his tailgate is a "How's My Driving" phone # and I do hope someone calls to let them know. Ironically, the lettering on the van says "Pest Control"

If only.

• Options

Maybe too many fumes from the nasty stuff he sprays?

• Options

Maybe the cockroaches hijacked it, I don't know. Didn't see the driver.

• Options

Oh man, I keep saying I'll never go to Costco on a weekend but here I was today!

Talk about congestion and clueless drivers including a ton of what fintail calls "new drivers".

One woman got so mad at one of these new drivers that she leaned on her horn for a full ten seconds. Inside the store was even worse. People will crash into your cart in their zeal to grab a free sample of something.

• Options

You should have gone to Fry's and IKEA and made it a three-fer, lol.

• Options

IKEA on a weekend? Just kill me now. At least at Costco I can defend myself.

Some areas of Costco are safer than others. The garden nursery is like a rear area in a combat zone--you go there to heal and rest up. The produce section is often more like trench warfare---you set up a defense zone with your cart and watch your back. The Bar-B-Que chicken area is hand to hand combat, and the free samples--well, that's the killing zone. Sooner or later, everyone get it there. Pharmaceuticals is like Switzerland, If you can crash land there, you're safe.

• Options
    edited March 2014

I intentionally took a slower route this evening to get away from being stuck behind a likely "new driver" in a Range Rover (of course) as the varying speed and brake application was irking me.

I then got behind a certain type of car known for annoying driving (it had the badge "535i" on the rear :) ) that pulled up several car lengths behind the car in front of it at a light, then slowly crept up, then made an unsignaled lane change, then acted like it was going to change lanes into me, before it backed off. I expected something other than the little old guy behind the wheel.

Costco, always love it. I try to go as early as possible. It's usually worse inside than outside...outside I can laugh at the trollers who will sit and idle for minutes to save a 15 second walk, then can go inside and be hit and cut by pilots of large carts who don't seem to have the mental fortitude to fog a mirror. Where the money comes from is a mystery.

• Options

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    IKEA on a weekend?

IKEA is Walmarts for people who want to think they're above other people. It's still mostly Chinese stuff labeled as Built to IKEA quality on the front of the tag to make people think it's from Sweden. But on the real label, it's China sourced. The furniture area has other sources rather than China for the most part that I've seen.

• Options
    edited March 2014

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    IKEA on a weekend? Just kill me now. At least at Costco I can defend myself.

Some areas of Costco are safer than others. The garden nursery is like a rear area in a combat zone--you go there to heal and rest up. The produce section is often more like trench warfare---you set up a defense zone with your cart and watch your back. The Bar-B-Que chicken area is hand to hand combat, and the free samples--well, that's the killing zone. Sooner or later, everyone get it there. Pharmaceuticals is like Switzerland, If you can crash land there, you're safe.

You have to get out to other/more Costco's or go to those same ones when the "herds" are not there. Each one is different and has both the gross and specific ebbs and flows, but the easiest way to find out is to ask clerks or supervisors. But I might be an outlier to even comment as it is easy to get to any of 8 "close by" Costco's.

• Options

To escape the herds, I have found that going early on a Sunday or mid-day on a weekday are best. Saturdays and after 1pm or so on Sundays are worst. I suspect IKEA is similar.

I have an IKEA desk and a couple small dressers made in Poland, and a TV unit made in Germany, I think. I haven't bought any furniture since I was in my 20s.

@imidazol97 said:
    IKEA is Walmarts for people who want to think they're above other people. It's still mostly Chinese stuff labeled as Built to IKEA quality on the front of the tag to make people think it's from Sweden. But on the real label, it's China sourced. The furniture area has other sources rather than China for the most part that I've seen.

• Options
    edited March 2014

@fintail said:
    I have an IKEA desk and a couple small dressers made in Poland, and a TV unit made in Germany, I think. I haven't bought any furniture since I was in my 20s.

I didn't make it clear in my post, but the IKEA furniture is a big step up from the counterparts at WallyWorld. I didn't mean to put down the furniture, or at least most of it.

We bought several pieces, a chest of drawers, side table, set of shelves from IKEA for my son's apartments at OSU off campus. And a rolling cart for the microwave in the kitchen--wood, nice. Only have had trouble with the chest of drawers because he had a lot of clothes in each drawer. The bottoms sagged and let the bottom of each drawer pull out of the rabbet or groove for it. A little engineering on my part adding a small support board across the middle has them working just fine again. Because they can be broken down into parts by removing the assembly hardware.

Neatest thing is the local IKEA keeps a set of drawers with the spare assembly parts, if you're short one originally or need something after breaking furniture down and moving it. Of course, you have to get to the IKEA (about 40 miles for me).

• Options
    edited March 2014

I've had good luck with the few items we got from there. Mostly I was just picturing Isell making the rounds of Costco, IKEA and the other bigger box stores and after trying to navigate all those Seattle pinch points with the lakes and bridges, landing in one of those crazy parking lots. Lovely way to spend a Saturday. B)

• Options
    edited March 2014

Common guys, unless you all are buying furniture from South/North Carolina, etc. good luck with new USA furniture manufacturing ! I am not sure why you are pining for the "good" old days. There are a plethora of rules against US manufacturing for a host of reasons. They have been in effect for a very LONG time. The exterminator du jour is the enviro cons are trying to KILL agriculture in the USA, as if they are going to stop eating !!

• Options

No worries, I didn't take it in a bad way. IKEA furniture seems to depreciate to a negative value, but I find it a lot more appealing than some of the really iffy Chinese-sourced stuff out there, much of which is no cheaper. And a bit of IKEA stuff is still made in Europe. A cool thing IKEA does, at least here, is offer reasonably priced same-day delivery, so you don't have to deal with inconsiderate drivers while driving a truck or overloaded car.

If I wanted real quality, I'd buy decent vintage stuff that would probably hold up better and hold some value, but that can be a bit of a hunt, and as a single guy, I just don't care about furniture enough to bother :)

@imidazol97 said: