Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Sprinter Brake pedal falls away or soft

sprintergurusprinterguru Member Posts: 24
edited July 2017 in Dodge
Do you have a Sprinter with soft pedal or the brake pedal falls away almost to the floor? Three things you need to check or do. 1. If you have just changed brakes or opened the system to air you may need to bleed the brakes. You can do this the old fashioned way pump, hold, crack the line or the preferred way would be to do what Daimler calls the Exceptional bleeding. This is done using a Daimler scan tool at your dealer.
2. Check the vaccum. You should have 20 to 22 HG at the booster, if the pump is pulling too much the booster actually will pull the pedal away from you. Also inspect the check valve at the booster. I have seen these cracked also.
3. If the vaccum is ok your problem is most likely in the booster.
4. Dont let a dealer talk you into changing the ABS control valve for $2k that will not fix your problem.
5. We are assuming you have inspected the master cylinder for internal bubbles.

Hope this helps.

Roy

Comments

• sprinterfan99sprinterfan99 Member Posts: 5
    Hello! This is exactly the symptoms i am experiencing with 2005 sprinter 2500. I am an independent shop owner that thought I was pretty clever until this problem came up! lol I am getting 28HG vacuum at the booster. Is this the excessive level of vacuum that you are referring to? Could this be causing the "pedal fading" problem i am having. I have replaced master cyl. and (unfortunatekly I think) the ABS unit. I have bled the system numerous times. When i remove the vacuum from the booster, the pedal does not fade. As soon as I reconnect it, the pedal begins to fade. Any help with this would be unbelievably appreciated! Thank you Ken
  • sprintergurusprinterguru Member Posts: 24
    Give me a couple days, I have another Sprinter here doing the same thing and the booster did not fix the problem. I have our Daimler rep. coming out to help with this thing. They are thinking they have a bad run of boosters. I will reply as soon as possible with the fix.

Roy
    THANKS FOR FAST REPLY!! I EAGERLY AWAIT........
    Goog Morning! Ken here again. Just tried another test that may help.....it appears that vacuum pump is "weak"? when we put a guage on it and pump/depress brake pedal...vacuum pump drops to around 5HG. then as pedal is held down...and is fading of course....the pump SLOWLY builds up pressure to approx 20HG. before this test, vacuum to booster is 26-28HG. Is it therefore possibly the vacuum pump that is causing the problem? Ken
    Hi Ken, I also found the same thing on my problem truck. I had another 2005 in the shop and decided to swap vacuum pumps with a known good one. I did this and have the same problem, no changes with a different pump. While doing that I moved the vacuum check valve and tube over since it was easy. No change. The Daimler rep I talked with this morning tells me that this is a European booster and will fade to the floor. I told him that's crap because I have another 2005 right next to it with a nice solid pedal. He did mention that after doing the exceptional bleed process using the Daimler diagnostic tool you need to do a manual bleed also. Maybe these trucks really trap air in the ABS Valve or Master cylinder. Did your truck have anything on the brake system changed prior to this problem happening? Now they (Daimler) is thinking I have a faulty new part somewhere. I doubt that but I am running out of ideas on this one also.

Roy
    Hello No brake work was done previous to this happening. Tried reducing vacuum to 20HG - made no difference. eagerly awaiting any further news/diagnosis on this problem. Many thanks for your time on this.... Ken
    Ken,

I'm convinced it is not a problem with anything in the engine compartment. In an effort to isolate this thing after much testing we have brought in a known good 2005 with great brake pedal and moved the following parts from the known good unit to the bad one with no luck.

1. Vacuum pump
    2. Vacuum booster
    3. Vacuum check valve and hose
    4. Master cylinder
    5. ABS control valve
    6. Bled multiple times

It has to be something in the base brake system which from the ABS valve back consists of nothing more than hard brake lines, rubber lines and calipers. The rubber lines have been physically inspected while brakes are being applied and they are not expanding at all. The last Daimler rep I spoke to Friday said he had seen this problem and it was a stuck caliper piston that was cocking in the housing and was not applying consistent pressure on the pads giving the pedal feel we are experiencing. We will be going into the calipers tomorrow. How many miles are on your unit? This one has 221,000. Maybe removing the calipers and seating the pistons with C clamps then testing pedal feel with the clamps in place to see if the pedal still falls would isolate the base brake system. At least it would take the wheel ends out of the picture. After that I think we will just burn it.
    Ken,

Take a rubber tipped blow gun and blow air backwards into the closed bleeder screws. I found one that was not leaking fluid externally but may be sucking air in. It would blow bubbles when air was applied. I will know more tomorrow when I get parts. Mine was right front.

Roy
    Thanx again for your reply. Will try the air blower test tomorrow. Otherwise nothing to add. Another mechanic friend of mine (ASE Master Tech) has the same vehicle in his shop about 25 miles away....and it is doing exactly the same thing!!! Something is a bit weird here.....Does Daimler admit to this happening with any other vehicles? It stretched credulity to believe that our three vehicles are the only ones with this problem!!! Awaiting your reply....Ken
    P.S. Am having a problem with "high idle" function. Switch seems to have power to it (background light comes on) but no high idle. We observed a very light "thud" noise when turning the switch off after unsucessfully going into high idle....but now we don't hear anything when we turn it off. In trying to trace this "high idle" problem, AllData refers to a "Fuse Block 3" where fuse is located for this operation...But nowhere does it twell us where the heck "Fuse Block 3" is located!! Any help you can offer? Thanx again...Ken
    Not sure the bleeder thing is our issue, One of mine had some trash on the seat of the bleeder causing a slight leak. After cleaning the air leak went away but our main problem did not change. Daimler is going to send a rep to my shop to get to the bottom of this issue.

The Sprinter manual says fuse block 2 & 3 are under the seat. Fuse block 1 is under the steering column. We do not have this feature on our units, sorry I cant be more help. The high idle connector pinouts are as follows:
    Cavity 1 = gy/dg/rd Lamp driver
    Cavity 3 = br/wt High idle on signal
    Cavity 4 = br/wt High idle on signal
    Cavity 7 = br Ground
    Cavity 9 = bk/rd Fused optional equipment relay output

Hope this helps,

Roy
    More on the high idle switch:

check the fuse 12 - 15 amp at fuse block 3
    Check optional equip. fuse at battery dist. block hanging off the pos. post. should be fuse 2
    send me a fax number and I will fax you a wiring diagram for it.

Things in this circuit:
    1. Optional equipment relay
    2. Fuse block 3
    3. ECM
    4. Daytime running lamps relay
    5. High idle switch
    Ken,

I found my brake problem on this unit. The rear brake pads were worn at an angle. It seems the vendor that did the rear brakes for us a month or so ago left the springs off the outside of the calipers. The calipers were caulking sideways when applied and wearing the pads crooked. We noticed the springs missing when we did a PM on this truck and it seems the problem started shortly after the springs were reinstalled. I am assuming the pads after being worn crooked would caulk a little in the caliper when the brakes were applied and caused soft braking and a pedal that would continue to fall as the pad was continuously caulked sideways under increasing pressure. Check all your brake pads and caliper springs. New pads fixed the soft falling pedal problem.

Roy
    Ken,

Did you find your brake issue?

Roy
    Ken,

Any luck with your brake problem?

Roy
  • bspertybsperty Member Posts: 20
    Does the sprinter whip antenna work properly on American aftermarket radios.
    I know it is a powered antenna.
  • bigjay3bigjay3 Member Posts: 11
    Hi Guys, Im 87 years opld, a master mechanic, federal aitcraft/engine mech, thers nothing I dont know about brakes. I have a great west motor home diesel Freighliner turbo sprinter. Vehicle was at Freighliner dealer for two months, they replaced booster with master cylinder, rotors, ABS module,$2800,vacuum pipe to pump, power bleed system, all accomplised with factory rep, final result, they could not cure it, reinstalled all my old parts and said get it the hell out of here, (NO CHARGE). Since then I have replace master cyl several times, I n an effort to cure I disconnected the ABS, lots af plumbing, attached 2 front brake lines direct to rear port on master cylinder, two rear to front port, made a small resorior to keep abs filled with fluid. Made plugs to seal brake ports on abs. WELL same old crap pedal goes to floor, Im going to make one more test and connect all 4 wheels direct to rear port on master??????? THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT THE MASTER CYLINER IS MANUFACTURTED DEFECTIVE, YET BOSCH WILL NOT ADMIT, i HOPE SOMEONE WILL START A CLASS ACTION SUITE AGAINST THIS. IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW MORE THAT i DO PLEASE ADVISE. i HAVE AN $80,000 MOTOR HOME THAT iM AFRID TO DRIVE, SO FAR iVE ALL OVER THE COUNTRY, 24,000 MILES AND i HOLD MY BREATH EVERY TIME i GO DOWN A HILL, RESPECTFULLY YOURS,,,BIG JOHN
  • bspertybsperty Member Posts: 20
    Big Jay, My sprinter has been doing it since 26,000 miles i now have 160,000.
    IT NEVER WAS FIXEd AFETR MANY ATTEMPTS.
    Mine is heat related as it only happens in the summer when temps get above 75 or so. It almost killed me once as the ABS was not working and my brakes locked up on a wet road THANK GOD there was a median i could steer off into.
    If the president at FREIGHTLINER HAD ANY BALLS he would contact me. I think i will go on an internet attack and tell the truth.There is an old saying." The truth Hurts."
    John,

Have you ever lost one of the brake springs on the rear calipers, found it missing and then replaced it without replacing the brake pads? I had one with a brake fade issue where the pedal would go to the floor. Ended up being tapered brake pads. The outer spring that keeps the caliper centered was lost on road and discovered missing while performing a PM inspection. We replaced the spring without replacing the pads as they were more than 75%. With the new spring installed again this held the caliper back in the proper position which now created a slight gap between the rotor and pad on one edge of the pad. When the brakes were applied now one edge of the pad would hit the rotor first and then due to the tapper in the pad the caliper would twist a bit before the other side of the pad would hit the rotor. This slight gap at the pad and rotor translated into almost a full stroke of the brake pedal in the cab. Driving with the spring missing created a scenario where the caliper would twist a bit when the brakes were applied which in turn wore the brake pads in such a manner that a slight tapper was created on the pads themselves. Replaced the pads with new and the pedal fade issue went away. Hope this helps. Roy

Hi Guys, this is big john, master mech my whole life, also federal aircraft & engine mech LIC1244403, PLEASE PLEASE listen to what I have discovered over the last 8 years with my sprinter 2500, Above you read my message with the dealer and factory rep, right now im running without the ABS, master dirct to wheels, remember every thing was replaced at dealer, I mean everything, boster, master, rotors, ABS ect, this is what I have come up with, First ooof all DO cut the rotors, first problem is rotors are too thin (NEW) they expand and contract, in the morning I have little or no brakes, pump 3 or four times and I have good pedal about 3/4 but as I start down the street vehicles feels like it will not stop, I ride the brake a little and then Im fine, have very good pedal and nice and sentisitive, away we go, great brakes as long as im in the city, now after drining on the highway for 10 or fifteen minutes pedal goes almost to ffflfoor but I stop OK, now I use my brake every 5 minutes to keep pedal up, I say the totors are the problem but theres nothing you can do about that, PS Ive had a prussur bleed since 1948, really works great. OPPS above DO NOT CUT THE ROTORS I hope Ive been of some help to you guys and if any one finds a cure Im willing to spent $5000 to have brakes same as my car. BIG JOHN

I hope my message was accepted big john

I forget to mention, last time I had all the wheels off I removed all anti squeal materal from rear of the pads, pads are straight, also power bleed, I now have 3/4 of a pedal but of course still fades BIG JOHN

HI GUYS, IVE SPOKE MY PEACE BUT I WANT TO LEAVE YOU WITH 1 THOUGHT, FIRST OF ALL THE MASTER CYLINDER IS TOO SMALL FOR A 6 PISTON SYSTEM, A LARGER DIAMETER WHOLD REALLY HELP THE PROBLEM , 2ND THE ROTORS ARE TOO THIN, EVEN THE FACTORY BULLETIN SAYS DO NOT CUT THE ROTORS, SO WERE STUCK, WHAT I DONT UNDERSTAND IS THAT SOME GUYS CLAIM THEY DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THEIR BRAKES//??????????????? BIG JOHN

I want to thank the guy who said push all th pistons in with C clamps then checg the pedal, I tryed every thing else, will try this to see outcome, Big John

Hi Guys, Big John her, also JAY, my 2005 has had 4 master cylinders, Im attemping to replace master with a 2010 master, only problem, wish me luck and Ill let you know the results, I still think the master is the problem, JOHN

Hi guys, well I finally made the cure, I installed a 2014 master cylinder on my 2005 sprinter diesel motor home, GREAT NEWS full pedal, nod creeping or pedal fading, happy as a pig in mud, all you have to do to remove booster, stand on end, drop master cylinder on top, observe space between master flange and booster surface, remove booster push rod and adjust for exact length, had to shorten about 3/16 inch, make sure you bleed properly, best result is power bleed. Really hope this helps all you guys, after 7 yearsIve accomplished what I set out to prove. BIG JOHN

Hi Guys, well I finally proved the problem on 2005 sprinter, replace the master cylinder with a 2014 cylinder, all you have to do is readjust the pushrod that goes into the master, took 9 years but I have a full pedal all the ttime, BIG JOHN

Hi guys, well as I said I installed a 2010-2014 master cylinder on my 2005 sprinter, drove about 1000 miles since I installed it, GREAT NEWS< i proved the dam master was the problem all the time, brakes are perfect, full pedal all the time, hope some of you guys will do ther same and dont keep it it to yourself, lets hear from you. BIG JOHN

• bigal413bigal413 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    I'm in Ireland and I have a 2000 sprinter 413 twin wheel. Brakes have always been soft. I use it as a mobile workshop so it's pretty heavy. Since I bought it a few years ago it's had new discs all around. All new flexible brake hoses and some solid pipes. I've bled it all different ways and it's always a soft pedal. I just put up with it at this stage as I'm the only one who drives it. Maybe I'll try the new type master cyl. Any other ideas on the subject?
  • la90043la90043 Member Posts: 1
    Hey BigJay3hope to find you well. Will your fix remedy replacing the master cylinder to a 2010-2014 master cylinder also work on a 2007 Sprinter? what model year do you have? I have a 2007 Sprinter. Thank you for all your input to this matter. Respectfully: Rob.
    bigjay3 said:

Hi guys, well as I said I installed a 2010-2014 master cylinder on my 2005 sprinter, drove about 1000 miles since I installed it, GREAT NEWS< i proved the dam master was the problem all the time, brakes are perfect, full pedal all the time, hope some of you guys will do ther same and dont keep it it to yourself, lets hear from you. BIG JOHN

• middletonrvermiddletonrver Member Posts: 1
    Glad I stumbled across this. I've been having pedal fade on my 2013 Thor Siesta RV built on 3500 chassis ever since it was new. Mercedes says take it to dealer, dealer says they can't find anything wrong. Guess I'll show them this forum next time. Thanks
  • Big_Pete_83Big_Pete_83 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 1996 mercedes sprinter 312d. Are the sprinters in America the same as UK? 
    Thanks
    Peter
  • SprinterKidSprinterKid Member Posts: 1
    Bigjay3 If understand this correct. You installed a 2010-2014 master cylinder on your 2005 sprinter...? I have a 2006 with this problem. How did you readjust the pushrod that goes into the master? Tell me soon or I'll be breaking like Fred Flinstone.. and I lve in the desert

take care
  • jvf1234jvf1234 Member Posts: 1
    Very long story short: After a brake job, pedal started going to the floor. After racking up a $1600 invoice including replaced ABS unit and two master cylinders the shop gave up and shredded the bill. After diagnosing the problem by making adapters and blocking things off I determined that, to state the obvious, Sprinter brake systems are marginal at best. For starters, more brake fluid is needed. I tried but failed to get much information on bore diameters on the later models including possible mounting flange differences. BIG JOHN seemed to get a 2014 to fit and I will look into it.

I think the problem is that since everything is remanufactured by now, the caliper piston bores are slightly oversized (as well as the MC although shop claimed my 2nd one was new from Mercedes). Since there is no “room to spare” the slight extra fluid needed results in extra MC piston travel which we don’t have much of. With calipers blocked off I had full solid pedal. A recent shop mechanic (different shop) was working on something else and told me he remarked to himself as the pedal went down that it needed new front calipers. He claimed his boss had a good supplier and had calipers that would eliminate this. Maybe. The best solution is more fluid in the system.

P.S. Before doing this myself I had the Sprinter towed to Mercedes and told the service manager I expected that they would consult with the factory if necessary and get to the bottom of this. Three days and $100 later the diagnosis was that it needed a new master cylinder. NOT! I had explained to him that the MC on the truck came off of their parts shelf a few days previous so I didn’t bother to repeat myself. I just thanked them and nervously drove the truck home. After adjusting the booster pushrod and numerous bleeding attempts using various methods I have just enough pedal to get pressure up (have a gauge attached to one of the MC ports) and have been living with it.

Jvf1234
  • Sprinter2500Sprinter2500 Member Posts: 5
    I see March 14th on the last post, but i don't know the year? Does anyone know the year that these were posted...
    Anyhow I have a 2006 Sprinter that has a fading brake pedal. We put a 2014 master Cylinder on it Like big John said and t still fades. Before that all new calipers, pads and rotors, along with new fluid Power bleeding, regular bleeding. And we still have brake fad...I was hopping for big John to be right...Do'es ant one have the answer? My sprinter has 41,000 miles on it... Its a Road-trek RV
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681

I see March 14th on the last post, but i don't know the year? Does anyone know the year that these were posted...
    Anyhow I have a 2006 Sprinter that has a fading brake pedal. We put a 2014 master Cylinder on it Like big John said and t still fades. Before that all new calipers, pads and rotors, along with new fluid Power bleeding, regular bleeding. And we still have brake fad...I was hopping for big John to be right...Do'es ant one have the answer? My sprinter has 41,000 miles on it... Its a Road-trek RV

If the post doesn't show a year, then it is the current year. Posts before 2019 only show the month and year.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks So they are this year....I wonder why big Johns idea did not work....
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Hmm... no fluid winding up on the ground? Can you get the brake fade to happen while you're sitting still in the driveway?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited April 2019
    Have you checked the flexible brake hoses for expansion under pressure? (deformation under pressure).

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/symptoms-of-a-bad-or-failing-brake-hose
    Thanks its not flexible brake hoses for expansion under pressure? (deformation under pressure)
    And No .no fluid winding up on the ground .............Thanks try some more, but i want to hear from someone that fixed the same, no guessing .......Where's big John now?
    Might not be the same fix for each car. Did you say the master cylinder was bench bled first?
    This is the 3rd Third master Cylinder, Big Johns did not work...
    Do you bench bleed them?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    edited April 2019
    This goes under the heading of "Anybody can do brakes,,,,,,incorrectly". Being able to do brakes isn't just about replacing a few parts, it's about being able to figure out how the system works and prove if/when there is a problem and exactly what the problem is.

The first thing that needs to be done here is figure out if there really is a problem or not. On some vehicles that have been discussed, it is quite likely that there was an undiagnosed issue. On many of the others, this might simply be that the vehicle behaves differently than what is expected. So first let's find out if there really is something wrong or not. Keep in mind if it is actually working correctly, or isn't broke you cannot "fix it."

So park the vehicle on a level surface, in park with the parking brake set and turn the engine off. Pump the brake pedal a number of times until the power brake booster is bled of vacuum. You will hear it draw air each time the pedal is pushed and the pedal will get increasing harder to push. Once that is done (about 5 to 7 pumps) let your foot off of the brake and wait ten seconds.

Now apply the pedal one time pushing with a moderate amount of force like you are climbing stairs. How far did the pedal go? Hold the pedal for about a minute or two, is it sinking? Now pump the pedal about 6 times at one to two pumps a second and hold the pedal again with the same force as you did previously. Again, how far did the pedal travel? Did it pump up? Is it the same place?

Release the pedal and wait five seconds and then apply it one more time. Again note, how far did it travel? Now without releasing the pedal, start the engine. The pedal will drift towards the floor as the vacuum booster helps you apply the brakes. How far did the pedal go now?

If the pedal doesn't sink with the engine not running, there are no leaks internally or externally. If the pedal doesn't pump up (travels to the same point every time without assist) then there is no excessive travel nor air in the system.

The pedal sinking with the engine running and boost applied is normal. Compare how far you can push the pedal at a stop with the engine running to how hard and far you push the pedal when driving and coming to a stop. You may find that if you attempt to push the pedal as far when you are driving compared to how far you push it sitting still that you would have locked up all of the brakes and forced it into antilock.

If you are not able to force an antilock system event with a panic stop attempt, then the investigation shifts to the brake pad material choice.
    Ok they are working now !!! Thanks thecardoc3 better than new now because of all the new parts....
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    So you are saying there actually wasn't anything wrong?
  • DsprinterDsprinter Member Posts: 1
    bigjay3 said:

Hi guys, well I finally made the cure, I installed a 2014 master cylinder on my 2005 sprinter diesel motor home, GREAT NEWS full pedal, nod creeping or pedal fading, happy as a pig in mud, all you have to do to remove booster, stand on end, drop master cylinder on top, observe space between master flange and booster surface, remove booster push rod and adjust for exact length, had to shorten about 3/16 inch, make sure you bleed properly, best result is power bleed. Really hope this helps all you guys, after 7 yearsIve accomplished what I set out to prove. BIG JOHN

bigjay3 said:

Hy all! New here! I have the same problem with my 2006 old mk1 sprinter ! My brake pedal it’s going too the floor if I continue too keep pressing! Today I fitts Mc with that Booster( black circle from an 2010 sprinter but was not the same! After I use from another Mercedes the same Mc like mine I fitted and was doing the same problem with the loose pedal! I bleed all the 4 wheels ! Same problem from begging! Somebody from
    Uk( Wales) does know an good mechanic how too fix this ..! I’m desperate cuz it’s not safety too drive like this