Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Bad smell from heater

kevlar2kevlar2 Member Posts: 5
edited February 2014 in Mitsubishi
This is for a 2003 mitsubishi diamante. I have a really bad burning smell coming from my vents in my car it starts as soon as I start the car. Its not burning oil! I have been told it smells like burning electrical or burning antifreeze. So I was planning on changing out my heater core?? has anyone had this problem before?? This is my first car and i need it to commute to work please help!!!

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

What kind of Mitsu? Year?

• kevlar2kevlar2 Member Posts: 5
    2003 mitsubishi diamante
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

I think I'd want to narrow the problem down before replacing parts, much less the heater core. That's usually a big job, lots of labor on most cars.

Doesn't sound like it's mold or mildew that you are smelling though.

I was first going to see if the hoses are leaking or if it's clogged cause there is a little bit of white smoke coming from the engine bay right next to the fire wall on the passenger side. I also have a tiny pin while in the radiator I'm it possible for that to cause a smell that would come in through the air vents??
    Tiny pin hole*
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

You might want to pressurize the cooling system with a pressure pump and see what turns up in terms of leaks. It doesn't take much of a leak to stink up a car.

So I bypassed the heatercore with a connector and ran the air full blast for 20 minutes and the smells gone it also stopped running as hot as it was runs at half now not 3/4. Thanks for all the advice!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

So what's your plan now?