Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Starting / Stalling Issues

1789101113»

Comments

• Its your fuel pump going out get a ac delco pump and have both filters changed there are to fuel filters and never let it go under a quarter of a tank and never use ethanol and never use any kind of fuel cleaner crap use 87 octane 100% gas every 3000 miles put a octane booster in the gas before filling and change both fuel filter every 6 months
  • It could be the fuel pump as the other post suggests but if you replaced it a few years ago it should be still good unless it was a third party or re-manufactured part that went bad. I had similar symptoms with my 99 GP, and replacing the mass air flow sensor fixed the problem, have you replaced that.
  • Yes the fuel pump and filters were replaced about 4 months ago, the mass air flow sensor was replaced about a year ago.
  • I had the same problem. After doing a little troubleshooting, I checked the wires that connect to the fuel pump and one of the connectors was bad. It didn't connect to the pump properly. I simply replaced both connectors. That was over a year ago and it starts up like a champ everytime. Your pump is easily accessible from your trunk. Remove the trunk liner and then remove the cover to the pump. You'll see 2 wires running to it. If you are able, start your car and then wiggle the wires to see if it stalls and dies. If so, there's your problem and your answer. If you are not able to start it, move the wires around a little, gently, also make sure you have the key in the on position, this way you will hear the pump turn on and when you wiggle the wires you'll be able to determine if its the wires or not. Hope this helps.
  • takumi_takumi_ western canadaPosts: 7
    Try cleaning the aluminum bracket under the coil packs and the base of the ignition module (the square part the coil packs and wiring are screwed to). I used carb cleaner and a red scotch pad. Worked like new after. That area acts as a ground for the coils and module, and once corroded, causes the car to buck and sputter. A bad ignition module will cause the sputtering as well, but usually will sputter once the motor is up to running temps. (Runs fine cold) G.L.
  • jugmeisterjugmeister Posts: 1

I've also got a My 2001 Grand Prix GT has been "fixed" three times by a previous owners, and it stills stalls out on the hiway randomly. Now normally, I'd just assume the problem was unrelated to whatever the mechanics fixed (i.e. MAF, cam and crank position sensors, PVC valve, mapping sensor were replaced before I got this car). Also the security feature suggested if it's actually the security system that randomly engaging. The 1997-2003 Grand Prix with an alarm system ( there is a 3 on the Key to see this) have a Passkey III immobilizer-type setup that cuts power to the fuel pump and starter. To check for this when your car is stalled turn it to the accessory mode for 10min then to the off mode and it should start if it is the key..

This is EXACTLY what happens when it stalls out; the car will just suddenly die, with no warning at all except a shudder, and the "low oil pressure" and "low voltage" warning lights on the dash come on. When you try to restart, the fuel pump doesn't consistently engage, as if it's still trying to immobilize the car. I need to take the battery cable off wait and it seems to rest the computer...

Please Help me i found that many people have this problem and the scrap yard is full of these cars...

• Ok, let me give you the back story...

-Bout 8 months ago i gave my buddy my park avenue to swap motors into a Grand Prix GT i picked up with a blown motor. L67, Gen V, 1.85YT, SD Headers, 75 shot N2O, etc, etc

-I believe that he took my motor and put it in his Impala, which is a story i'll save for later. Which i believe he top swapped his motor and put it in my car and dropped the complete L67 block in his. Makes it worse because i helped him find the parts to do it.

-Guy on the forum tuned my PCM for these particular parts, which apparently i no longer have. Now since i started driving the car i put it on the highway like on my way to work and it randomly stalls out. No matter the time of day and no warning signs. RPM's dont drop fast but gradually fall back to zero.

-I have replaced MAF, plugs, IAC, ICM, Coil packs, BBV, vac lines.

-He did put on my SSIC, but knows if he did it right and swapped my pulley down to a 3.25. I did not buy the swap kit from zzp, so he spliced the wires for the map sensor, could they be wired up wrong?

On the streets the it runs ok, it doesnt stall out at all. On the highway which is how i get to work is my issue. Out of nowhere and boom dead. It does however start back up immediately.

• Could someone help me please? I have a 2008 grand prix keyless. Last winter my car wouldnt start only if it cold and the starter worked half of the time. Now my phob lock clicker dont work and starter dont work. Just replaced phob 1 half year ago. Plus the horn doesnt work either. Gzzzx must be battery, sensor or ignition?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,138

Could someone help me please? I have a 2008 grand prix keyless. Last winter my car wouldnt start only if it cold and the starter worked half of the time. Now my phob lock clicker dont work and starter dont work. Just replaced phob 1 half year ago. Plus the horn doesnt work either. Gzzzx must be battery, sensor or ignition?

We're sorry for the issues you've recently encountered with your key fob, bonitachica. Did you happen to replace the fob at the dealership or did you buy an aftermarket part? If you're interested in having your local GM dealership check into this we're happy to stay involved throughout the process. If interested, please feel free to private message us your VIN, mileage and preferred dealership name.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • william117william117 Posts: 1
    edited October 2

I have a 2006 Grand Prix GT that will suddenly stall out.  Starts out with a traction control and abs light then shuts off nearly immediately after with a electronic throttle control light.  Please help me.  No sensor codes for this dangerous problem 

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,382

I have a 2006 Grand Prix GT that will suddenly stall out.  Starts out with a traction control and abs light then shuts off nearly immediately after with a electronic throttle control light.  Please help me.  No sensor codes for this dangerous problem 

My first check would be the battery. I'd consider replacing it especially if it's a few years old.
    The aging battery may be dropping voltage and that low voltage causes odd reactions from various computers in the car. Then check connections at the battery and the ground cable on both ends. And try wiggling the posts on the battery with the engine running to see if there's a broken post.

• mcgrath27mcgrath27 Posts: 2
    Trying to get some help figuring this out. I got a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The problem is that 90% of the time when I start the car I have to rev the engine or else the car will stall out. If I get on the gas for a few seconds its fine and takes off. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know the problem?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,320
    Have you checked for any codes? Does this happen with engine warm and cold,, or just cold? I'm wondering if there's a problem with the coolant temperature sensor.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• It happens when it is hot and cold. There are no codes that are showing at all.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,320
    Well the symptoms are too general to make any kind of diagnosis. This could be caused by a lengthy list of possible issues. If you don't want to bring it to a shop you might try cleaning the throttle positioning sensor and the MAF sensor---these require different solvents and procedures but I'm sure you could find a How-To video on YouTube as this is a common DIY type of service.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,382
    edited October 19
    mcgrath27 said:

Trying to get some help figuring this out. I got a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The problem is that 90% of the time when I start the car I have to rev the engine or else the car will stall out. If I get on the gas for a few seconds its fine and takes off. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know the problem?

Agree, these are pretty general symptoms and information.

You might try removing the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator, on the fuel line on the front of the engine. Let the engine run for several minutes and see if any gasoline starts coming out of the vacuum opening in the FPR due to a ruptured diaphragm. That might let extra fuel into the vacuum line and the engine at startup after it's shut off. The extra fuel in the line and manifold makes it a little too rich, requiring extra speed and air to slurp it into the cylinders without drowning the motor at first.

You might try cleaning the idle air valve, which is right there on the throttle body with the MAF and the throttle position sensor. It's held on my two screws. Do not immerse to clean, just rub and brush. Clean with appropriate cleaner on the end, and clean the opening into the throttle body. I've read of one of those being gunked up with the blow back carbon and not letting enough air through that bypasses the throttle butterfly plate. Also could be related to the oil gunk that collects on the inside of the throttle body and keeps the butterfly from opening easily when first started up. You have to push a little harder: the engine cools and the throttle body shrinks against the butterfly. To move the throttle plate with the accelerator, you have to scrape through the goop that collects on the inside when the engine is shut off from the oil vapor in the engine. Usually it only gives resistance that first time it's moved after sitting for hours.

You might try starting the engine with the MAF disconnected to see if that improves it. If it does, it could just be making the engine run richer or leaner due to no MAF input, so it could cover another cause and its symptoms.

Like MrShift says, look for youtube videos. There are lots of 3800's in various cars (I have owned 3) with similar layouts to yours, so an Impala 3800 youtube can help you see where things are and how to remove/replace them.

Good luck.

And if someone you know has a scanner, not just a code reader, that gives the engine coolant temperature that the computer is seeing, you could make sure it's getting the right temperature to adjust the mixture for starting. Some auto store might read it for you, BUT you want the temperature when the engine is cold overnight or cooled way down. The engine would be warmed up when you got to a store.

I did have a box store locally that loaned out their reader. I think it was O"Reilly/Checkers. Might have been Autozone.

1789101113»