Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Transmission Problems

1111213141517»

Comments

• lemmings88lemmings88 Member Posts: 12
    i DONT KNOW WHO THE BIGGER JOKE IS HERE, nhtsa OF FORD,,,,,,,, tell eveyone what your going through with the runaround FORD reps, they really suck
  • focus10focus10 Member Posts: 2
    When car engin & drive train is at summer temperature and you start off in 1st gear the car will lop 3 or 4 times before going into 2nd gear. This makes city driving dangerous. The car is under factory warranty. The mechanic drove the car & said nothing was wrong. What should I do now?
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    Find another dealer who's more helpful. At least demand they flash your PCM / TCM with the latest software. DCT shudder is not normal and can be fixed (speaking from experience).
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    "So in reality every purchaser of these horrid little junkers HAVE NO WARRANTY. "

That's not been my experience. I've been in several times for warranty work and my Ford dealer has been very responsive every time. Most bugs are worked out now. Front suspension still feels a little loose for my taste - new strut mounts currently on order. But could also be the tires.

If your dealer keeps giving you the "it's normal" routine, go to another dealer. That's the nice thing about Ford / GM - there are dealerships everywhere.
  • aimeefereberaimeefereber Member Posts: 1

I'm new to this site. My 2003 ZTS is having over drive issues discussed in this forum. I want to read the advice in post 76 and 110 but can't figure out find the post number to get there. I must be missing obvious. Help me?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

@aimeefereber said:
    I'm new to this site. My 2003 ZTS is having over drive issues discussed in this forum. I want to read the advice in post 76 and 110 but can't figure out find the post number to get there. I must be missing obvious. Help me?

Should be this one from member aokrongly

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/4060675/#Comment_4060675

• tonyeh2116tonyeh2116 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2012 Focus SE with just over 22000 miles. I have lived with the minor glitches and quirks of this transmission, however the transmission recently gave out on the interstate. The vehicle started jerking and the "transmission failure" warning came up on the display. I managed to crawl off the interstate and to a gas station, but that was as far as she would go. Once she was parked, the transmission would not engage. It has been at the dealership for 2 days now and they are still investigating the issue. The response on their part does not instill me with confidence. If they do not make this right, I will never purchase another Ford.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

@tonyeh2116 said:
    I have a 2012 Focus SE with just over 22000 miles. I have lived with the minor glitches and quirks of this transmission, however the transmission recently gave out on the interstate. The vehicle started jerking and the "transmission failure" warning came up on the display. I managed to crawl off the interstate and to a gas station, but that was as far as she would go. Once she was parked, the transmission would not engage. It has been at the dealership for 2 days now and they are still investigating the issue. The response on their part does not instill me with confidence. If they do not make this right, I will never purchase another Ford.

Maybe I just come from a lucky family. Going all the way back as far as I can remember, father, grandfather, uncles, etc. I can recall only two cars we had with transmission issues, and both were 1965 Impalas that my Dad and Grandfather bought at the same time.

So most any tranny issue seems like "that shouldn't happen" to me, and at only 22,000 miles to basically have a failure, seems way out of line. Hopefully they can make things right for you. The tranny was built by Getrag Ford Transmissions, which is a joint partnership with Getrag, and I've seen a number of reviews of the third generation Focus that point out tranny issues.

• mrfixit731mrfixit731 Member Posts: 1

I too had the Focus transmission curse. Bought my 05 with 117K. Within 2k miles, no second, no fourth, OD light blinking, and check engine light on. Scanned, got P0767. Changed filter, and then all 6 solenoids. No good. Removed the adjuster bolt for the 2/4 band, probed hole with 1/4" x5" bolt. Found band 1/2" below where it should be. Pulled end cover without removing trans completely from car.( just lowered drivers side) Band was broken. Removed pieces, installed new band ( about $20.00) silicone sealed end cover and it works great now!!!!!!! Changing band took about two hours, and jack stands, a floor jack, and regular hand tools.

@mrfixit731 said:
    I too had the Focus transmission curse. Bought my 05 with 117K. Within 2k miles, no second, no fourth, OD light blinking, and check engine light on. Scanned, got P0767. Changed filter, and then all 6 solenoids. No good. Removed the adjuster bolt for the 2/4 band, probed hole with 1/4" x5" bolt. Found band 1/2" below where it should be. Pulled end cover without removing trans completely from car.( just lowered drivers side) Band was broken. Removed pieces, installed new band ( about $20.00) silicone sealed end cover and it works great now!!!!!!! Changing band took about two hours, and jack stands, a floor jack, and regular hand tools.

Always nice to hear about folks who are able to work on their own vehicles. Not as much of that around as there used to be ;)

• quickflashquickflash Member Posts: 2

@PFFlyer@Edmunds said:
    Always nice to hear about folks who are able to work on their own vehicles. Not as much of that around as there used to be ;)

• quickflashquickflash Member Posts: 2

I have 2005 Focus 2 liter with 126,000 was stopped at a light and when I went to take off transmission would not engage. Transmission slips and has no drive in forward or reverse gear. Making noise no engine light, and no codes using ez-scan 6000. Fluid looks dark and has burnt odor. Will drop pan this weekend for visual. Has anyone else had this issue seems to be catastrophic not a selinod :( -

Does your scanner access the TCM codes at all?

The fluid doesn't sound like a good sign, but keep us posted as things progress. Mr Shift and the owners and techs that hang around the forums are always helpful!

• sabalsamsabalsam Member Posts: 1

I just took delivery of my second Focus Titanium. My first was a 2012. I love the car as much as I did the first! While the first did have a transmission problem with my 2012, a knowledgable dealer diagnosed the problem on the first go round. The problem turned out to be a leaking seal which fouled the clutches. Once the seal and clutches were replaced under warranty the car ran flawlessly!

I do miss a couple of really neat options that Ford has done away with, the automatic rear view mirror, rain sensing wipers and the integrated garage door opener, but none were deal breakers.

The nicest thing today was to head to the gas station and fill the tank for less than $30 thanks to E85. This is new to me as my last one was produced prior to the flex fuel engines being available.

All in all I love the car, and hope that it lasts as long as the other Ford products I have owned.

@sabalsam said:

All in all I love the car, and hope that it lasts as long as the other Ford products I have owned.

Good to hear it all worked out for you! And welcome to the forums. Always nice to see new faces. If you have any questions about the forums or Edmunds in general, don't hesitate to ask!

• tasha79tasha79 Member Posts: 3

can then get it into reverse very easy.

Remember there is no syncro on reverse.

Please help???!!!!! I have an '03 ford focus automatic transmission seems to be stuck in second gear when it should upshift as i increase speed automatically but doesnt ! The rpms rev real high and sound like they are maxed right out!! As i press the gas there is no relief in the sound and the car sounds like its going to explode!! Im not well educated in this department but would really like to know if i have to replace the tranny or if it could be something minor?? Solenoid Im hoping???

I am just hoping this might be a common issue with the make and model before i go getting ripped off and lied to by another shystie mechanic who gets off on making the big bucks off of girls who dont know [non-permissible content removed] about fixing cars!!!

Could be a solenoid or something with a computer (I'm no tranny expert by any means), but obviously there's an issue you want to deal with before any damage is done. Don't see any way to avoid taking it to a mechanic, since trannies are generally not DIY jobs.

• capnezcapnez Member Posts: 1

Own a 2012 Ford Focus SE. Transmission was quirky from the start. Shudder developed and Got gradually worse. Finally diagnosed at 43,000 miles as internal oil leak between tranny and engine caused clutches ti slip. Was told by service tech that so many cars with this problem that parts from Ford would take months!!! Accelerated complaint to Ford Customer Relations and with their help parts were expidited and work completed in ~2wks from problem diagnosed. NOW at 49,000 miles TRANSMISSION WARNING - MALFUNCTION Service immediately screen flashes on. Limped it in to the dealer (fortunately only a few miles away) and after 7 days they are still testing the car. Initially they wanted to just replace the clutches but I rebelled and asked for a new tranny. Now they THINK the Transmission Control Module (TCM) has intermittent problem so probably will replave that also. STILL NO DATE WHEN REPAIRS WILL BE COMPLETED. By the bye this car also needed front wheel bearing replaced at 46,000 miles. MORAL: DON'T buy a FORD.

• eagleshoteagleshot Member Posts: 1

I have a 2012 SFE that I purchased in Nov 2011 with 7 miles on it. Before I ever drove it, the salesperson told me about the shutter and explained why it was doing it and that it was normal. Within a month of getting it, I had to take it in to have the transmission "reprogrammed". That stopped the issues for a while but within another month I was back again. The service tech told me the same story and that I should keep driving it and it will eventually get better. I drive 120 per day all highway miles. By now I had 45K miles on it and the shutter was no different but now I had this strange grinding / whining sound in 1st gear. I was told it was normal. I asked if I could just get the transmission repaired. I was told it was not under warranty. two months ago the noise started getting much louder so i took it in this morning. I could not believe what I was told. I was told by the tech that the transmission had an internal failure and that it will need to be replaced. He quoted me $4,300USD. I was outraged. I have a 2012 car with 84K miles on it and the transmission is no good and has to be replaced . All the money +some that I thought I was saving with the great gas mileage all gone. After a deep conversation with the service manager, they are trying to get Ford to replace it or help me with assistance (what ever that means). If you are thinking of buying a car with a dual clutch, you should really think NOT. :@ :@ :@ I hope that soon there will be a class action against Ford for this. If anyone else has had a similar issue, please chime in.

I understand why they give a "that's normal" response to a lot of things. Sometimes, noises you hear or sensations you feel in a car get your attention and when you are listening for them, they seem to get worse, like something's wrong. This happens to me every now and then. But what you described definitely didn't sound or feel normal. At least the service manager seems to be on your side. Be sure to let us know how it works out!

• pianodudepianodude Member Posts: 1

Summary: DO NOT BUY THE AUTOMATIC POWER-SHIFT FOCUS TRANSMISSION! I had a 2012 SEL and just bought a 2014 Titanium - thinking the transmission problems were designed out. NO! I have had four Focuses and they are good cars. Except the last two P.S. transmissions. I just don't understand how Ford lets this garbage leave the "design" shop! Doesn't anyone drive the goods and note that they are seriously flawed? My new car has a bit over 1,000 mi on it and I'm hopping mad. Unfortunately, there is insufficient space here to detail all the shift issues. If I were rich, I would sue them for all of us that have been ripped off. Again, the basic car is really super; the shift box -- @&(#%^#$&&!! :-((

• nancy2323nancy2323 Member Posts: 1

FORD CAN FIX THIS PROBLEM; THEY JUST WON'T DO IT WILLINGLY!! I understand why Ford wants us all to think that jerking in low gears is NORMAL for this transmission (obviously, if they admit to a problem that they can fix, it'll cost em!). When my 2013 Focus titanium was new, it had the minor coughs and hesitation in the low gears, both speeding up and slowing down. I didn't like it, but I could live with it. But by the time it had 18000 miles on it, the jerking and bucking had gotten much worse and was intolerable. I was looking at trading in the car because of it. I took it to a small town dealer. They told me that the clutches needed to be replaced and they did. They said they had two other Focuses getting the same thing done at that time. After the new clutches were installed, IT DRIVES LIKE A NORMAL CAR!! It is better than it was new! No hesitation or jerking! A friend of mine also has a 2013 Focus with the same problem. She took hers to a big city dealer who told her "it is what it is and there's nothing to be done about it" (she'd had the flashing done a couple of times before with little improvement). She made a stink and told them about my experience. She threatened to take her car to where I took mine, and they relented and replaced the clutches. Her car is also now better than new! What I don't understand is: Has Ford changed the replacement clutches to make them work better than the original equipment? It's a mystery, but the moral of my story is -- INSIST ON THE DEALER REPLACING YOUR CLUTCHES and you will be a happy camper! If they refuse to do it, call other dealers until you find one that will. Those that are willing to do the repair (and it is under warranty!) are doing a lot of them so they will know from a phone call what it needs. The dealers get paid by Ford for the warranty work so I don't understand why they are so reluctant to just fix this problem and make us all happy with our cars! Instead, they're losing customers for Ford left and right. I think their must be corporate direction to the dealers to do everything possible NOT to fix our cars because it is costing them so much money. So short-sighted of Ford: The long-term cost in loss of reputation and new sales is far greater!

• myrtle1myrtle1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2013 ford focus SE back in August .. almost had it a year and I've had it at the dealership 2 times already for the transmission .. All they tell me is this is normal .. it's so jerky all the time .. my question is .. has anyone thought about taking their car back to ford and the lemon law ... because I believe I bought one :(
  • lo742lo742 Member Posts: 3

2012 Focus titanium - 101k miles. I have had the same problems as everyone else with the darn transmissions. Took it in repeatedly, reprogrammed...etc always stuttering. finally at 98k miles I took in and complained again and again, I had purchased the 100k warranty. they replaced the transmission. I will say I am getting little better MPG now but the stuttering has not fully gone away and I do not think it will. I have given the car to my wife who has a 5minute commute and I bought an Accord that has a CVT. I was hesitant but the transmission is smooth and no jerking. I will not buy a Ford again, it was my second chance for them as I had a Contour that gave me a ton of problems and they did not stand by there product. I am done with Ford. Good luck all.

• chrisdlovechrisdlove Member Posts: 1

I bought a 2012 Focus back in December, I ignored COnsumer guides advice as a car NOT to buy, I have a 2001 focus wagon..just normal problems, has been great, so thought this car looks beautiful,gr8 features and had to buy it, had 92k on it when I bought it(just had to have a newer car,silly me!). Trans is very jerky! Dealer told me "that's cause this car is meant to be a standard shift~WTF is that about?!" seriously,auto transmissions have been around forever and stick shift is harder to get(although that is my preference) Thank God the car has thegold extended warranty up to 12k mils. I am so disappointed. I am getting trans fixed and selling the car. What a disappointment! Ford should be ashamed of themselves,especially since the car ALSO GETS [non-permissible content removed] GAS MILEAGE 25mpg, seriously,should get 28-38mpg. I am so upset about it! Told the 2013's are better..FORGET that FORD!

• davidpotterdavidpotter Member Posts: 7

I have a 2001 Ford Focus (automatic transmission) that has 75,000 miles on it. When i first start driving the car from a cold start, it shifts fine thru the gears. once the car warms up, it stops shifting into 4th gear and will not shift up if i have to accelerate quickly (it revs for a sec like it's going to shift up, and goes strait back into 3rd). after a while of that, it starts shifting really rough, jerking between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. also, i noticed that, once the car is warmed up and 4th gear disappears, if i try to turn off overdrive and shift down manually it doesn't do anything.
    anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

Hard to say---could be a valving problem, or some internal damage. Best thing might be to do a line pressure test for starters.

• kab11seb22kab11seb22 Member Posts: 2

First, To eagleshot. Ford just came out with a 100,000 mile warranty on the Transmission. If you paid for a repair you should get that back from Ford.
    Have 2012 Titanium have had it in the shop 6 times, replaced clutch 2 times and have just 33,000 miles on it. Have seen where some people have gotten new transmissions from Ford. Love the car except for the transmission. Guess when Ford gets tired of replacing clutches they may give me a new transmission (which is suppose to be improved)
    Do have a good dealership. It takes them 1 day to replace the clutch, seals and related parts. Both times car in at 7:30 and back to me by 5:00. last clutch installed 2 weeks ago. Will see how this one works. Will update.

• kab11seb22kab11seb22 Member Posts: 2

First, To eagleshot. Ford just came out with a 100,000 mile warranty on the Transmission. If you paid for a repair you should get that back from Ford.
    Have 2012 Titanium have had it in the shop 6 times, replaced clutch 2 times and have just 33,000 miles on it. Have seen where some people have gotten new transmissions from Ford. Love the car except for the transmission. Guess when Ford gets tired of replacing clutches they may give me a new transmission (which is suppose to be improved)
    Do have a good dealership. It takes them 1 day to replace the clutch, seals and related parts. Both times car in at 7:30 and back to me by 5:00. last clutch installed 2 weeks ago. Will see how this one works. Will update.

• chuck198chuck198 Member Posts: 1
    Just to comment that the transmission issue with the Focus has actually gotten worse since Ford issued the customer satisfaction program 14M01 in August 2014. Have had our 2012 in three times prior to that and still have same issues. Ford customer service says they will escalate things after we take it into dealer again, but dealers are swamped and can't get you in for a month or more. And Ford CS says sorry we can't control the dealers and can't do anything to help you until its at a dealer. Real Catch 22 and terrible customer service from Ford. And the domestics wonder why they lose share to the imports. does anyone know a way to get Ford to really take this issue seriously and resolve it?