Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave AC Problems

Comments

• satbuick09satbuick09 Member Posts: 1
    We are the original owners on a 2009 Buick Enclave that has just under 51,500 miles. During the warranty period, we had the transmission, Brakes system MC. The power steering AC sensors were also replaced. The TPMS systems have been replaced. The brake system was worked over by the dealer. The battery also died and was replaced by the dealer. Now, less than 1,000 miles after warranty expiration, the AC system seems to be dying. It seems that every Buick Enclave has AC problems at 50,000 - 60,000 miles or less. How is this not a recall by GM? I noticed that many of you have contacted GM about these same items. Have you had any response/help from them, other than an appointment to get ripped off by their dealers? Will see what Dealer do for us tomorrow.
  • woods75woods75 Member Posts: 4
    We had basically the exact same issues you have had, with the addition of transmission and the air bag system. The rear evaporator core and master cylinder on the brakes (as well as yet another air bag sensor) went out on our 2008 Enclave around 62,000 miles. Our local dealer was able to get GM to pay for 75% of the repairs. I still feel it should be a recall, but was very pleased with GM's actions.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Greetings satbuick09

I'm sorry to hear about your A/C not working on your Enclave. In regards to your question about this not being a recall-- recalls are issued on a case by case basis. If you are concerned that your vehicle may be included in a recall, your dealer would be aware of this information. Please keep us updated once you have visited the dealership.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    woods75,

I am pleased to hear that GM was able to cover a large part of your vehicle repair. If you have any future vehicle concerns certainly do not hesitate to contact us.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • cmensingcmensing Member Posts: 7
    Well I thought when I had to pay $2400 to fix the powersteering on my Enclave and only $150 to fix the A/C back in April I was out the woods. Oh but I forgot, this is a GM, so back in again today for the air conditioner that blows warm air, and low and behold another $1,800 to fix the air conditioner. Now the car is only 3 years old, but because I put many highway miles on it is over the warranty. But really GM, are powersteering and air conditioning really that sensitive to miles driven??? My Ford Explorer went 135,000 miles and 13 years before I has to fix a leak in the air conditioner. I told the guy at the Buick place to put the keys in the car and I'll stop by and pick it up. With the temps in the high 80's and humid I will not fix the air conditioner and will continue to tell everyone I know, and those who have the misfortune to drive in it, that the air does not work so think twice before buying a GM!!! And Amber, please do not waste your time, or mine, I am not interested in you checking to see if GM can do anything because we both already know the answer.
  • cavagmancavagman Member Posts: 2
    I've got a similar problem - my ac system no longer works and I'm being told that the evaporator coil will need to be replaced. I currently sit around 60000 miles (~110000km). Will GM assist?
    I di not get any help on the $2400 power steering repair and do not expect any help on the $1,800 air conditioning repair. Sorry.
  • dede03dede03 Member Posts: 1
    2008 Buick Enclave with 61,000 miles. I, too, have the same A/C problem. Doesn't blow in the front, but blows in the back, however, warm air is coming out of the back (this just happened this morning). When I got the "stabilitrack" message I brought it in and for $500 they fixed it. My steering is now needing repairs and was told that would cost me $1,400. I feel like GM should take responsibility for all of these issues. How convenient they all happen after the warranty expired.
  • cavagmancavagman Member Posts: 2
    I've got a similar problem - my ac system no longer works and I'm being told that the evaporator coil will need to be replaced. I currently sit around 60000 miles (~110000km). Will GM please assist?

:sick:
    Hi cavagman,

I am sorry to hear that your vehicle is not working at this time. I will do more research on this issue to see what options are available to you. Can you please send me your full name, VIN, address, contact information, and dealership? Please email this information to us at socialmedia@gm.com [ATTN: Amber]. I look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    My 2010 Enclave air conditioner needed $1,700 for repairs and I already spent $150 back in April on it. Went to GM's web site and called customer service number for Buick and 2 days
    later my dealer called me back and said GM would pay 75% or around $1,300. Not the greatest since I still had to pay $550 on a 3 year old air conditioner. I wouldn't hold out much hope for Amber from GM who probably contacted you, she couldn't get me anything for the $2,400 power steering fix I had to pay for back in April.
    Hey Boblub,

What's a TSB and did you have to pay for the extended warranty?

Thanks.
  • hicksdhicksd Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Hello,

I have a 2008 Buick Enclave and literally have my car at the shop right now because of the Air conditioner not blowing cold air. I just received a call that the Evaporator Core has to be replaced for $1800. I only have about 60k miles on it. I am furious. I absolutely have had nothing but trouble with this vehicle since we purchased it brand new in '08. I have read some of your messages and I can't believe how common the problems are among us. I have had the water pumped replaced about 2 years into owning the car. The control panel was replaced also for problems with the A/C before. The front airbags and the rear inside lights in the roof of the car leak water. I took it to the dealer 2 years ago and thought they fixed it....No luck still leaks. One our recent rains my backseat was so wet I had to soak it up with a towel. I have no idea if any other damage exists from all this water stuff yet.
    These problems along with the recalls they've have on this vehicle are just ridiculous when you've purchased a brand new vehicle. I have always heard a noise in the steering system and sometimes gets a little hard to turn the car every now and then. My Stabliltrak light has been on twice, I've taken it in...I was told it's nothing. Once I get this mess resolved and I am really going to consider getting rid of this vehicle.

It is so funny I just had a neighbor come ask me last week about how I liked the vehicle and I am not going to recommend this vehicle to anyone EVER!
    I am going to pursue this further with Headquarters and keep you all posted. I really do believe this should be a Class Action Suit as well. Has anyone started that process yet?
    Hi hicksd

I am very sorry that your Enclave has caused you such frustration. If you would like for us to document your concerns within our system, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com. If there is any additional assistance we can provide to you, please let us know.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • bad_ridebad_ride Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2008 Enclave. I have replaced a sensor in the fuel tank, 3 wheel bearing assemblies, both front half shafts, water pump, alternator, fix the sunroof leak twice, water filled the entire fuse block and had to have the fuse block and the fuses replaced, the steering box, front struts, not to even the Motor that blew up at 50 mph. Oh yeah then you start with the electronics that just choose to give up all at the same time. Would you rate this vehicle very high GM or would you just do a recall on all 2008 Enclaves and get them off the streets before NO ONE buys your product again.
    Hi there,

I can certainly understand your frustrations and apologize that you've had multiple issues with your vehicle. If you haven't already spoken with GM Customer Service in the past about your concerns, we'd be more than willing to document your complaint within our system and address any additional questions you have. If you would like for us to start a case for you within our system, please email us your VIN, mileage and contact information.

Regards

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • stiebs4stiebs4 Member Posts: 3
    I too am having the same problem. I was just told last week that the evaporator coil will need to be replaced, I have 58,000 miles on my 2010 Buick Enclave. I was told that this will cost $1,595.00. Will GM assist? This is absurd to have a 3 year old car that needs a evaporator coil replaced. I have been a loyal customer to GM since 1987. This is my 2nd buick enclave (I purchased a Enclave in 2008 being the first one in my area to have a Enclave and had loads of problems with the 2008 and still bought another Enclave) {shame on me}.
    WILL GM ASSIST???
  • woods75woods75 Member Posts: 4
    I would guess that they will help. They paid 75% of mine, and have done similarly for others that I have heard of. I would very kindly whine at your local dealer service rep and ask him to go to bat with GM for you. My service rep indicated that GM would help the first time, but probably not again.
    Thanks for the info. I will whine!
  • unklrayunklray Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2008 Enclave last year and have had no trouble so far except the air. I always felt it wasn't cold enough.
    I checked it myself, I work on vending machines, and it was within the correct pressures.
    I had my mechanic look at it when I had it in for an oil change and he said it was ok.
    Finally I added about 4 oz of freon to it anyway and it is working much better. fine I would say.
    Probably on a long trip the evaporator is icing up and not allowing air flow across it. Shutting it off for a while allows this to defrost and it will be ok for a while.
    There should be a puddle of water under the car after it sits awhile, somewhere by the front passenger tire. If not check that the drain hose is not blocked. I would check it anyway to be sure.
    Thanks for the info and advice. GM customer service and my local dealer called me, they are replacing my evaporator coil and charging me only $150.00. So, GM did good on their part.
    hey steibs4,

We're always pleased to hear of a satisfied customer. Glad that your situation was taken care of. If you ever need anything in the future, please let us know.

Best

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • karrietakarrieta Member Posts: 7
    Hi sarah,
    I'm also very frustrated with my enclave...I just took it to the dealership & they diagnosed it as needing a compressor to condenser hose at almost $700. Is this right??? How is a hose $700? I think I am going to have to give up on my Enclave...I can't afford it anymore!
    Thanks,
    kris
  • firemanjonc1firemanjonc1 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    My enclave has been in to the dealer twice now for the AC. It is hissing or equalizing pressure while at idle. They recently told me it was due to idling low and charged me $127 to clean the injectors. They said that due to the low idle the compressor was cutting out. However this is still an issue. Every time you slow to a stop it will wind up to a very noisy hissing and then as soon as you give it gas it goes away. It also stops blowing very cold and becomes humid when hissing. Does anybody have a clue what's up?
  • bsp123bsp123 Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone ever get this resolved? I have a 2009 Enclave with 35,000 miles and this started a couple of years back. It's becoming more and more of an issue as of late and the dealer cannot replicate it of course and could really give a crap in my opinion. My issue is the EXACT issue that others have noted in that after a longer trip (1+ hours with the AC on) the front AC vents stop blowing air. It just trickles out and sometimes you see some frost/steam coming from the vents. Turn the car off for 5 minutes and it miraculously works again. This is very frustrating to say the least especially when the dealer treats you like a fool.
  • moose2010moose2010 Member Posts: 1

All I can say is wow! We purchased our 2010 Enclave 2x premium last April - we love the vehicle, the look of the vehicle gets complimnent all the time. Now the trouble begins; well they started to begin late this past summer.

• with the A/C which seemed to be like a collapsed hose, now it seems from all of the posts that apparently GM purchased quite a few faulty evap cores from china or Mexico or whereever - come on GM really? After 3 years the product fails! Where is that Buick quality the consumer is paying for?
    • now during the middle of winter the heated seats will work intermittently, we have added additional coolant to the system as the coolantblevel was a gallon low according tonthe service center as we didnt have any heat; where is the coolant going GM, the drivers seat is currently now stuck in the most forward position it can travel, and the electronic telescopic steering wheel no longer travels in and out, up and down no problems! Really this is the quality one' should expect after spending an elevated amount of money? Really? We could have gone foreign like to Hyundai but I have always sided on American vehicles! Now what? My vehicle VIN is 5GALVCED7AJ187259. GM "HELP"
  • epalmerepalmer Member Posts: 3

I had to replace the AC fan motor at 2000 miles and my 2013 Enclave smokes all the time.

Does the smoking stop after it is broken in or is it a head gasket, valve issue?

• epalmerepalmer Member Posts: 3

Is anyone else having a smoking issue, even after the vehicle has been running for over an hour?

• abhababhab Member Posts: 1

I have begun to experience air conditioning problems in my2010 enclave identical to many of you. Early last summer it began to freeze, then a little over a month later it wouldn't engage at all (not good for a MS August). After I serviced refrigerant it worked normally for the remainder of the summer. This year the problem has returned. I serviced it again last week, and it has already dumped. I also have the passenger air bag fault, and the thunk noise in the front suspension when going full throw on the steering wheel. To those of you who have had success in getting gm to help fix these common issues, what did you include in your correspondence with customer service?

@abhab said:
    I have begun to experience air conditioning problems in my2010 enclave identical to many of you. Early last summer it began to freeze, then a little over a month later it wouldn't engage at all (not good for a MS August). After I serviced refrigerant it worked normally for the remainder of the summer. This year the problem has returned. I serviced it again last week, and it has already dumped. I also have the passenger air bag fault, and the thunk noise in the front suspension when going full throw on the steering wheel. To those of you who have had success in getting gm to help fix these common issues, what did you include in your correspondence with customer service?

Hi abhab,

We understand that you're having trouble with your air conditioning and we'd like to look more into this matter and try to be of assistance. If this interests you, please private message us your full contact information, VIN, mileage, and preferred dealership. If you'd prefer to send us an email, we can also be reached at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please also reference your screen name.

Thank you,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• kidnappedkidnapped Member Posts: 3

I've lived free from Enclave A/C repairs for 647 days,
    but now I'm back to this GM owners support group.
    Last year I made a quick stop in the timing cover leak sessions,
    but I think here is where I was meant to be.

This is a forum in which we are all learners and all teachers.

I am original owner of a 2008 Buick Enclave.
    My rear A/C first stopped blowing cold air in July of 2012.
    The rear evaporator was replaced at the dealer. Problem solved.
    After 647 days, it looks to be happening again.
    The rear A/C is no longer blowing cold air.

I had found that by always keeping the auxiliary A/C on,
    I was able to prevent the other A/C problem described on this
    forum from recurring. (having the front vents freeze over
    and stop blowing air). But it looks as though I've just
    moved from stressing one Enclave design deficiency
    to another.

I'm off to the dealer on Monday to discover the problem.

I know I have a problem when I want to exchange a
    completely unreliable 2008 Enclave for a possibly
    unreliable 2014 Acadia, or 2013 Suburban.
    I think I need a sponsor to divert me from
    this snowball of GM ownership.

I'll email Amber and Christina, if she's still around.

• kidnappedkidnapped Member Posts: 3

looks like I get to provide input on Enclave A/C problems on every 6th page of the forum. Hopefully I won't be around to comment at page 18.
    Please let me know what parts of the air conditioning system are redesigned for current model year lambda platform vehicles.

• tlgarciatlgarcia Member Posts: 3

I have a 2010 Buick Enclave with 72,000 miles on it and also have a bad AC evaporator. This is ridiculous. It was a so-called GM Certified when I bought it March 2013 now it is going to cost roughly $1500.00 to have it fixed. There is no reason why a vehicle with that amount of miles and only 4 yrs old and was GM Certified when bought should have that problem. I am very upset. I stayed away from GM products for many years due to issues with their cars now this has freshly reminded why I had a Ford Explorer with 225,000 miles on it with little to no issue lasted me so long. I should of stayed with Ford Vehicles and kept away from GM Vehicles. Not sure how to afford a repair of $1500.00 for something that should of lasted twice the miles on a car if not longer. A car we loved driving but now is turning into a big problem for us.

Hello tlgarcia,

We are sorry to hear that you feel this way based on your current situation. We definitely understand and appreciate how you feel, unexpected costs can be frustrating. We understand that you've already had your vehicle diagnosed by the dealership, however, if any additional assistance is needed or if you'd like us to document your concerns in our system, we are always here to help!

Best regards,

Andraya R.
    GM Customer Care

• annoyed2014annoyed2014 Member Posts: 1
    We have a (new to us) 2010 Enclave- bought 2 months ago with 43,300 miles. Had to take it in this week due to AC blowing hot after driving 1-2 hours. We are in TX- and need AC! Said it was totally out of freon and needs rear evaporator core replaced. Over $1000!! Really!?! And not covered under warranty - sounds shady! I'm very annoyed and regret this purchase.

@annoyed2014 said:
    We have a (new to us) 2010 Enclave- bought 2 months ago with 43,300 miles. Had to take it in this week due to AC blowing hot after driving 1-2 hours. We are in TX- and need AC! Said it was totally out of freon and needs rear evaporator core replaced. Over $1000!! Really!?! And not covered under warranty - sounds shady! I'm very annoyed and regret this purchase.

We have our 2010 Buick Enclave in shop today to have it diagnosed. My mechanic has already told me that my issue is the same as yours. Buick says they have to diagnose it themselves for verification. Been quote $1500 for mine to get fixed by my mechanic. mine started end of last summer thought it was just low on Freon as well. Nope. Evaporator Core bad. GM Certified Vehicle is purchased March 2013.

@gmcustsvc said:
    Hello tlgarcia,

We are sorry to hear that you feel this way based on your current situation. We definitely understand and appreciate how you feel, unexpected costs can be frustrating. We understand that you've already had your vehicle diagnosed by the dealership, however, if any additional assistance is needed or if you'd like us to document your concerns in our system, we are always here to help!

Best regards,

Andraya R.
    GM Customer Care

Andraya: No you don't understand the cost impact that it puts on me and my family. A newer GM Certified car that is 4 yrs old and may cost me over $1500.00. I bought this car assuming that it was newer and had only 48k miles when I bought it a yr ago to not have any major car repairs at least until it is over 100K at the minimum. It seems to be a problem with the Enclaves and where Buick is having them manufactured. I would expect that Buick step-up to the plate and help a New GM Vehicle owner to help with this cost. It is just ridiculous to spend the kind of money for these vehicles and then have to shell out this kind of cost after only owning it a year. I should of stuck to my Ford's. Sounds like a big mistake on my part. Come on Buick! Lets get this fixed. Beautiful Car on the outside. Nothing but trouble on the inside since I bought it and an Upset Buick Enclave Owner in the Drivers seat.

Hello tlgarcia,

Thank you for your response. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I'd be happy to document your concerns in our system. You are welcome to reach out to me via email with your contact information, VIN, mileage and involved dealership documentation purposes. I look forward to hearing from you!

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• jaydojaydo Member Posts: 1

I too have a 2010 Enclave purchased used GM Certified. 3 weeks ago at approx. 59,000 miles the air conditioner quit blowing cool air. Took it to my regular mechanic and he diagnosed bad evaporator coil and actually requested I ** not ** bring it to him to fix due to estimated 10+ hours of labor involved. It is going to our local Buick dealer for "official" diagnosis. I see from the many pages of previous posts that GM has been helpful in assisting some with paying for a portion of the repairs. Upon official confirmation of the sad and unfortunate death of my beloved climate control system, I would like additional contact information from the GM team to discuss possible options.

Hi jaydo.

We are sorry to hear that you've experienced concerns with the HVAC in your 2010 Buick Enclave. Although we cannot guarantee cost assistance you can contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com to discuss further options. We look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you,

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• nubrinubri Member Posts: 1

I have a new to me 2008 Buick Enclave that I've had for little over a year and I love the vehicle, but having problems with the AC as many others have and having problems with the sunroof leaking into the vehicle when it rains and it rains a lot here. I have to take a long trip in about 2 weeks and I'm afraid that the AC will go out on me during the trip making it not only a long road trip, but an uncomfortable one too.

Hello nubri,

Sorry to hear that you are having these concerns with your 2008 Buick Enclave. Have you visited your dealership to have these concerns addressed? I'd be happy to connect with them on your behalf, if any assistance is needed please feel free to send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with your VIN. Thank you!

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• tandlbeardtandlbeard Member Posts: 3

I have a 2008 Enclave which I believe to be a lemon! THE DELIVERY DATE WAS FEBRUARY 2009. I have had water draining from the sunroof for 4years... No one could figure out why. Returned it to the dealer within the first month of ownership. The back hatch currently does not work. The dealership had it "fixed" several times. Power steering replaced twice. Rack and pinion replaced and a steering pump replaced for total of 4 times. Steering is still locking up and loud noise when I turn left. Seat belt in the 3rd row would not disengage resulting in my son being choked until a another car stopped and cut the restraint off with a knife. Dealership replaced entire harness and new locking mechanism installed. Airbag light illuminated 2010..dealership fixed faulty connection siab. Airbag light illuminated again 2012. Dealership "fixed" the problem. I have taken it back 2 additional times with recall notification s and now the side airbag light is not engaging when passenger is in the seat..resulting in the airbag service light illuminating again. I have replaced the water pump and found that .gm issued a special bulletin covering waterpumps until 120,000 miles or 10 years. I am trying to get refund now. And of course let's not forget the malfunctioning A/C. Faulty brackets holding the4 pipes causing friction and subsequently the constant rubbing together caused holes inthe tubes behind the right rear tire. .GM did put some heat "wrap" after it was made to prevent such rubbing. I have run off into theditch twice andhad onecrash as a result of the steering wheel locking up. NO luck with the dealership getting this dangerous car OFF the road.

• pjkbpjkb Member Posts: 1

I have had my 2008 Enclave at my dealership 3 or 4 times with air conditioning problems!! I travel on vacations on the weekends and that is when it quits working properly. After being on the road a few hours, vapor starts coming out of my vents and no cold air and no fan speed. I take it to the dealership and they run it for awhile and it won't do it of course because it only happens after several hours. My extended warranty is about to be up and they cannot do anything about it because they cannot get it to duplicate the problem for them. I've read all these posts concerning everyone having problems like mine, why has there not been a recall!!!!

We understand your frustration, pjkb. Until your dealership is able to duplicate the exact issue they're limited in the steps they can take to fix your air conditioning. If you'd like for us to create a case for you within our system we can document this issue for future reference, as well as reach out to your dealer. If interested just private message your full contact information, VIN, mileage and dealership name to us on the forum, or via email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

@pjkb said:
    I have had my 2008 Enclave at my dealership 3 or 4 times with air conditioning problems!! I travel on vacations on the weekends and that is when it quits working properly. After being on the road a few hours, vapor starts coming out of my vents and no cold air and no fan speed. I take it to the dealership and they run it for awhile and it won't do it of course because it only happens after several hours. My extended warranty is about to be up and they cannot do anything about it because they cannot get it to duplicate the problem for them. I've read all these posts concerning everyone having problems like mine, why has there not been a recall!!!!

• tandlbeardtandlbeard Member Posts: 3

GM CUST CARE DIDNT RESPOND TO MY POST...SKIPPED IT, but responded to the above comment and a comment below. Is there a reason you are ignoring the post? I 'll repost for you. But, now I can add to the list of malfunctions.... that my transmission went out and they want to charge me 4000.00 to fix. I owe 8,000.00 in REPAIRS...I owe 5,000.00 on the car itself for a grand payment of 13,000.00 This is not including the airbags that are still malfunctioning. No wonder GM is getting rich on their LOYAL customers.

@tandlbeard said:
    I have a 2008 Enclave which I believe to be a lemon! THE DELIVERY DATE WAS FEBRUARY 2009. I have had water draining from the sunroof for 4years... No one could figure out why. Returned it to the dealer within the first month of ownership. The back hatch currently does not work. The dealership had it "fixed" several times. Power steering replaced twice. Rack and pinion replaced and a steering pump replaced for total of 4 times. Steering is still locking up and loud noise when I turn left. Seat belt in the 3rd row would not disengage resulting in my son being choked until a another car stopped and cut the restraint off with a knife. Dealership replaced entire harness and new locking mechanism installed. Airbag light illuminated 2010..dealership fixed faulty connection siab. Airbag light illuminated again 2012. Dealership "fixed" the problem. I have taken it back 2 additional times with recall notification s and now the side airbag light is not engaging when passenger is in the seat..resulting in the airbag service light illuminating again. I have replaced the water pump and found that .gm issued a special bulletin covering waterpumps until 120,000 miles or 10 years. I am trying to get refund now. And of course let's not forget the malfunctioning A/C. Faulty brackets holding the4 pipes causing friction and subsequently the constant rubbing together caused holes inthe tubes behind the right rear tire. .GM did put some heat "wrap" after it was made to prevent such rubbing. I have run off into theditch twice andhad onecrash as a result of the steering wheel locking up. NO luck with the dealership getting this dangerous car OFF the road.

Hello tandlbeard,

My apologies we seem to have missed your post. I am sorry to hear that you have had multiple concerns with your Enclave. I can certainly understand your frustration. I'd be happy to further discuss your situation and give your dealership a call on your behalf. You are welcome to reach out to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with your contact information and VIN. We look forward to hearing from you!

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• rdavid25rdavid25 Member Posts: 1

I have 2010 Envlave that was not cheap and have had nothing but issues with the A/C system since it hit 50,000 miles and the warranty ran out. It has been to the dealer because the defrost stopped working, front passenger side heat stopped working in mid winter and now air conditioning in back is not working. I have been told this is an issue with some switch? and that it is common and there are still 3 other "swtichs" than can go out eventually and will need to be replaced at another $100 each to be fixed. I have driven many different less expensive vehicles that this has not happened with and my husband drives a 2010 Nissan with many more miles and has never had such an issue. I would probably not buy another buick because of these issues.

Hello rdavid25,

I am sorry to hear that you've experienced multiple concerns with your 2010 Buick Enclave. I understand that unexpected costs are frustrating. I'd like to collect your information and document your concerns in our system. If you're interested, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com Attn:Andraya with your VIN and contact information.

Best,
    Adndraya
    GM Customer Care

• bankingdivabankingdiva Member Posts: 1

I am writing this to help other Enclave owner's out. This forum has helped me.

I have a 2010 Enclave now with 90,000 miles on it. All my problems began much earlier though. I have had and am still having all the common AC Evaporator problems as everyone else. I am so thankful I found this forum because we never would have discovered the root problem with the AC. We also had the Power Steering problem repaired in the Spring. $1300 later it is working fine. For those of you who don't know. It starts by making just a whining noise, but it advances until you actually lose power steering when turning at times. This seems dangerous to me. I felt dangerous as my steering sometimes would almost lock up when I was in the middle of a busy intersection. I never got a call or any notification from GM about the problem though, and we can know from these forums it is VERY common.

Now my car is in the shop at the GM dealership being serviced for the 5th time for AC problems. First time, last summer AC basically quit blowing any air at all. They replaced compresser and it work for a couple months until it quit blowing cold air. We took it back and they added Freon as they said it was low. They put dye and said they could tell if there was a leak when we bring it in again. Worked fine until this Spring - not blowing cold air again. Again, they tell me it was out of Freon but they couldn't see a leak because it had been too long since dye had been put it. They added Freon again and a different dye and told me to bring it back in a couple weeks to check for leaks. From this point the car never seemed to blow cold enough air. I leave in Georgia and it's hot hear. My car never cooled me off, and I tend to be cold all the time. My husband's Toyota freezes me so I knew something wasn't right. After sitting in the hot sun, my car would not cool off in a 30 minute communte. I have to dress professionally for my job - lined suits in sumer, so this was not acceptable. When I took it back to get it checked Freon a couple of weeks later - no leaks. I had them check the AC over again because I knew something wasn't working right. They found nothing. Said the AC was working fine. And it does when it's not so hot outside, or the car has been in a garage, or the car's not idling at a stop light. I had them check it one more time when I had the oil changed - still they found nothing. I was beginning to think it was just how the fancy dual AC in the Enclave worked, and that was as good as it was going to get.

Well, last weekend my family took a 3 hour trip, and the AC quit blowing cold air at all during the ride. You could hear it blowing hard, but no air pushing out. During our hot ride, I googled "Buick Enclave AC problems" and found this forum. I couldn't believe everyone was having the same problems as me! One person mentioned turning off the car for a few minutes and cranking it back up. I did that - and the AC worked again as far as blowing. But, like normal for my car, the air was not very cool. We saw the problems with the Evaporator Core on this forum so we took it to the dealer today and told them what happened and the information we found her. We left the car with them, and the just called and said - yes, it is the Evaporator Core, and they can fix it. It will be a $2000 repair. They will give me some credit though for the past times I've had the car in the dealership being worked on.

I'm not uphappy with the dealership, but I'm extremely dissatisfied with GM. Based on this forum and others, it clear that these problems with Power Steering and AC have been going on for years. No recalls (safety issue with power steering), no letter to GM owners, and it seems like no communication with the service departments of these recurring problems.

My husband drives a Toyota Tacoma. It has 190K miles on it. No problems. Before that we owned 3 Toyota Camrys. One of those had more than 200K miles on it when we sold it. No problems with any of them. I sold my last "plain" Camry because I fell in love with the Fancy Buick Enclave and all the room. I love the way it drives, especially for such a large car. This was my dream vehicle. Since I have had such good experience with cars in the past (all Toyotas), we chose not to purchase an extended warranty. I have never had an extended warranty in the past, so I felt it would be a waste of money. Mistake! Buy an extended warranty if you buy a GM. It sounds like they at least do a good job of honoring that.

I just logged a complaint on the phone with GM Customer service. It didn't sound like they would do anything except contact the dealer's customer service department. I was very clear with them though. This was not a dealer service problem. It was a GM design and customer service problem. I would love to hear back from GM and end this on a positive note. I will let you know if I do.