Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hate my Traverse

13»

Comments

• Unfortunately we own a 2009 Traverse 2LT that we bought off the lot March of 2009. I won't get into details about all the trouble that we had from the dealership that we purchased it from but I will tell you that at some point we had the salesmen chasing us through the lobby yelling "Liars!! You are both Liars!!" all because we wouldn't verify the lies they had told the bank. I know that should have been a sign - lol. Needless to say that we don't take our car to the dealership that is less than 5 minutes away but instead drive to the outskirts of town just so we don't have to deal with those idiots anymore.

So like many people, we have had a multitude of problems like fuel pump issues, loud steering problems and we still have a seat-belt that is apparently irreparable (so our vehicle seats 7 not 8 like it is supposed to). Sept 2012, I was driving to go pick up my children from school when all of a sudden I had several lights flashing and bells dinging from the dashboard. I looked down trying to figure out what was going on only to see that temperature was showing 260 degrees (max) so I pulled off immediately. I popped open the hood and discovered my car had nearly caught on fire, I noticed the charred remains of what was left of the wiring harness. I posted a picture on FB and then heard there had been several other people that had had the same or similar problems with their cars catching fire. Thank goodness our car insurance helped cover some of the costs.

We are currently renting a car once again because our Traverse is back in the shop.....this time it died on the freeway as we were coming home from our short Christmas trip - only 4 hours away. Now to be honest we stopped driving this thing out of town and started renting cars a while back but since we had just had all three catalytic converters switched out in November and spent over $2000 on repairs....we thought we would chance it. We found ourselves stranded 65 miles from home when we contacted the nearest dealership and asked if they could send a tow truck ($125). The service manager started telling us that the Traverse was a wonderful vehicle...never had any problems with them. I told him straight up that he was about to finally see one. I was not surprised when he came back to tell us that the timing chain had jumped and they couldn't tell how much damage was done until they pulled it apart. We were most likely looking at having to rebuild the entire engine.....this dealership said it would take them a month before they could get to it so we had it towed back to our normal place (another $200). They have had it for over a week and finally got around to looking at it, we were told today the catalytic converters that are bad. They have to be changed out before we can figure out for sure if it is the timing chain is bad but we have to pay for the catalytic converters again because they were done at another shop. The shop is refusing to stand by their warranty because something is wrong on the car that caused the converters to go out.....I wanted to tell them "YES!! The exact same thing that caused it the first time and you didn't fix it!"

I have no plans to ever buy another GM product after all the mess we have had with this Traverse. The whole reason for buying a new car was to have something reliable that we could take trips with our kids....now I have a piece of junk that I wish someone would just come steal so I could file an insurance claim and be done.

• Bought a 2011 traverse in august of 2013. It had just under 28k on it. I got the remainder of the bumper to bumper warranty, as well as the dealership offers lifetime engine and drivetrain as long as you get it serviced through a certified gm dealership. I drive it about 20 miles a day round trip for work, and have taken it on a few 500 plus mile trips. It has 35+k on it now and I gotta be honest, I haven't had an issue yet! I have a tendency to be a heavy accelerator and haven't had any issues with this "gear searching" I have even let other family and friends drive and not one has said anything about it other that it's comfortableness and smooth ride. My only complaint has nothing to do with the performance of the vehicle but rather the sound system and the not being able to push the button to talk directly instead of having to go though a few commands. But that has to do with my base model. Sorry you guys are having problems but it's all good here! Hopefully it'll stay that way bc having a newborn me and the wife can't afford costly repairs.
  • scottmar73scottmar73 WinnipegPosts: 1
    Have a Traverse less than 4 years only less than 80000km and Vickar Chevy Winnipeg took me for $4k all new struts front and rear, gearing on the steering, when does a manufacture standby a warranty? Sorry what warranty, go to the dealership because think they will give you a true service, not take me for a ride because they have call backs that they need to fix, way to go GM your TV Ads of 160000km warranty and tested in the harshest conditions smell of BS!!!! How to win customer and influence people, Really!!!!.
  • smashlingsmashling Posts: 2

Bought this car in April 2010. First ever brand new car. First car that wasn't a Toyota. I was impressed by the commercials, the print ads and the consumer reports recommendation. Got a LT2 Travelers Edition with Navigation, bluetooth, remote start and other niceties. Loved the drive, loved the design, loved the space.

It had 53,000 as of today.

Have had issues from very early on. All the usual, Steering Rack, Actuator, Water Pump, had to replace both the front and rear brakes and rotors, transmission slipped a couple of times on the highway, new tires at 40,000, Air Compressor, rust on the wheels, paint came off some of the instrument buttons, rubber seal came loose on the trunk etc etc. I had it dealer maintained to the correct schedule. Some of these items were fixed under warranty, some of these items cost me a lot of money. There has been several recalls that I have had to bring it in for.

I could not take it anymore. I was afraid to own it once the five years was up. The water pump failed two weeks when we were on vacation, that was the last straw.

We just bought a Toyota Highlander, older, more miles ... and we paid more than our Traverse was worth. I am not writing this to be a hater, I wanted to own and enjoy this car for 10+ years.

13»