Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave Power Steering Noise

Comments

• verdonaverdona Member Posts: 1
    OMG ! I can cry. I finally was able to get my dream SUV and now it PROBLEMS !
    I purchase my 2007 Buick Enclave in March 2013. It was making light noise then but me being a woman thought it was ok. I mentioned it to the sales guy and he told me it would go away soon because it has been serviced. @ to 3 months went by, same noise. I asked a friend and he said, " It maybe air in the line". Checked to make sure power steering fluid was full. So I called the dealership to let the sales guy know it is still making the noise. He told me to take it to a Buick because it may still be under warranty. I didn't go right away because my son is a Senior and had to visit 4 Colleges for offers. I traveled to 5 Universities throughout the summer and noise still remains. Then 7on 7 season came and I am the ONLY mom was runs with these boys like crazy so I kept pushing it back. Late July my dad had a stroke and for those last 2 months reheb and changing his living has swamp me. Now im ready to work on getting this problem fixed........HELP !
  • familyguy15familyguy15 Member Posts: 1
    I too am now on my 2nd steering gear. First one replaced at 58k, now second one at 78k (just 16 mos. later). In my previous 1000k of miles, I've never had strg gear problems. Worked w/ dealer w/ little success and tried 1-800-gmcares, and have gotten busy signal for 2 days. Any luck getting partial or total reimbursement for faulty parts/design? Where do I go if GM doesn't answer phone?
    (Also, I just had my second brake job in 20k miles. Former SUV's and vans were always good for 40k.) Was thinking about a 2nd car/ LaCrosse, but now seriously concerned about GM reliability.
  • aatripaldiaatripaldi Member Posts: 1
    Could not agree with you more! GM needs to recall for the steering issue asap. I have been having the same issues with my 2009 Enclave and I've got two new teenage drivers who don't drive the vehicle becasue they can't anticipate when it will seize up. It started as a nagging issue that happened occassionally and mostly in parking lots with tight turning radius. It has progressively gotten worse. I have had it to the GM Dealership four times in the last year and they could not diagnose what the issue was. They "couldn't replicate the steering difficulty in test drives" so no action recommended or taken any of the four times. They told me the power steering system was tight and solid..."could be the pump or the gear in the steering colum" or a
    bubble in the steering fluid that simply was circulating" but not a danger. I moved to TX and had the car serviced at Auto Check repair shop. They identified the rack and pinon system as falling apart and a danger as well as the steering pump as the cause of the issue. The snapping sound when turning was the evidence for the r&p (I told them about the sounds four times!). It took the TX service station two hours to figure out the steering (and a cylinder misfire issue that also was undiagnosed for a year even with check engine lights!!) So far there has not been any Customer Satisfaction covering on this steering issue and it IS a dangerous issue. GM needs to address this!
  • bobs124bobs124 Member Posts: 4
    I filed a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Board.
    I advise others to do this with the steering issues on GM vehicles.
    Here is there link.
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/

I too have this issue and posted a complaint with "GM no customer service". I did receive a phone call but was told with the amount of miles I had on it, it would not be covered. Nor were they willing to help out on the cost of the parts. Invoice totaled 1500.00 and that was with the dealer discounting his labor. We had a GM extended no deductible warranty that covered everything till 62,000. R&P fail with other steering parts at 68,000 miles.
    Dealer was great but GM was awful. This was after our 2008 Acadia had the same problem at 50,000 that was covered by our extended warranty. We traded it in after 60,000 after">link title VERY extensive warranty work for 2 years. It was a POS. We have a 2010 Enclave but when we do trade it in we are looking at Ford vehicles. Don't need to tell anyone why.
  • bobs124bobs124 Member Posts: 4
    File a complaint with the NHTSA
    Here is their link
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/
    They need to know!
    More files may get the ball rolling on a national recall.

I did after our 2010 Enclave had the same problem. It was 28 months old.
    I called GM "no customer service" about it and was told the car had too many miles on it. We had a 62,000 no deductible extended warranty. It had 70,000 when the R&P steering went out as well as other steering parts. Ending up costing more than 1500.00. That was after the dealer discounted his labor. GM said they wouldn't even discount the part. They told me it had too many miles.
    This was after our 2008 Acadia we bought new had the same R&P replaced at 50,000 miles. We ended trading it off because it was in the shop 37 time for warranty work in a 2 year period. It was a POS.
    The next car we buy will be a Ford. Don't need to tell anybody why.
  • katbuickkatbuick Member Posts: 3
    I filed a complaint 3 months ago with NTSB but never heard anything back :-(. My 2009 Buick went back to the shop 2 weeks ago for more steering wheel noises and guess what?? I needed all of the bearings replaced this time! Another $1200 after I had already spent $1000 on the steering column and other parts that needed to be replaced. Needless to say, I traded that car in and got a Hyundai THE NEXT DAY! I AM DONE!
  • miker72miker72 Member Posts: 1
    I just experienced the "loss of steering" issue described in many posts, and had my dealer (today) during a routine check-up ID the noise and suggest the steering gear repair. After his contacting GM, I am "participating" to the tune of 40% of the initial estimate ($1,800), but will have the work done today.

Unlike many of the others in this thread, I have had GREAT luck with my 2008 Enclave, despite my initial reservations at buying a first model year vehicle. I did also experience the water pump failure on a recent trip, but at almost 86,000 miles, I have been very fortunate to spend little on any kind of repairs beyond normal maintenance. Some of this is clearly good fortune (based upon the the tenor of many posts), but much is attributed to the great dealers that I have had (currently moving from the third to the fourth - all due to my relocation). While the fervor of many posts has admittedly put a "chink" in my commitment to purchase another Enclave some day, I am still very much hopeful that the vehicle will provide many more trouble free miles.
  • elmwoodelmwood Member Posts: 1
    I was so glad to find this site. We purchased our 2008 Buick Enclave in January of 2009 with 20,xxx miles. Shortly after we made the purchase we experienced a loud whining from the power steering. We brought it in and was told it was the power steering hose and they replaced it. The next issue was the sunroof was leaking into the back storage area and also had that repaired. The power steering issue arose again this past summer and has been accompanied by a groaning noise at lower speeds and it getting quite loud. We are told the rack and pinion will need to be replaced. Of course, it is just passed the 50,000 warranty so now we get to foot the bill. It only has 60,xxx miles and am looking at an expensive repair at an apparent know issue with the Enclave. It makes us wonder now with the first power steering issue if the rack and pinion should have been replaced then and they just took a shortcut to stop the noise temporarily. I have also read on here some have got their parts paid for to make the repair. That would be a a great help and how did you get this accomplished? Hopefully GM/Buick will be willing to help us out on this since it just went off of warranty otherwise we may need to consider a trade. We shopped around a long time for this SUV and there isn't really any other we were happy with and kind of hate to get rid of it, but can't have all these issues coming up, we need something more dependable.
  • lwilkins4346lwilkins4346 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 208 Buick Enclave when it first came out. Boy, what a mistake. Never buy the first year of a new model. I think i've replaced all major components except the engine. I think all the failures were premature when compared with other cars i've owned. Now I have this loud steering noise that I complained to the dealer about two years into my ownership. Nothing was done to fix the problem except a power steering replacement, which did not fix the problem. I really cant understand GM abandoning its customers on this issue. We know that this should have been a recall issue long ago. It's unsatisfactory service/warranty issues like this that drives the public to foreign autos. Incidentally, I am shopping for another vehicle but it definitely want be GM, probably Ford. Come on GM stand behind this steering issue that may even be a safety issue.
  • jiminarjiminar Member Posts: 1
    I experienced the same problem with my 2010 Enclave and replaced the steering unit at 67,000 miles. Interestingly, two of my friends have had the same problem - one has the Saturn Outlook, and the other has the GMC Arcadia. I agree that General Motors needs to step up to the plate on this one. Definitely a safety hazard.
  • jqurickjqurick Member Posts: 3
    I've had my Enclave for three years. In the three years I have brought it to Tustin GMC for service 22 times (My 2001 Yukon XL has only been in for service 21 times). At first they were able to come up with some solutions to the problems but it still continues to be an issue.
    1) right before the engine shifts from to 10mph there's a thump sound and again right before 20 mph. This only occurs when the engine is cold.
    2) there's a loose/clunk noise when going over bumps. This also only occurs when the engine is cold.
    3) hissing noise when the AC is on.
    4) high pitch whine when engine starts
    5) left and right blinker has been replaced 4 times
    6) back gate makes a "clunk" noise and will not close intermittently
    7) driver side seat will not move back - intermittently

Not to mention the following major problems I have had to replace:
    -Strut assembly replacement on both sides & replace mounts
    -Steering column tilt wheel position sensor replacement
    -Porosity in sided cover K7461 Case cover replacement
    E3853 Strut, Strut component or Spring replacement both sides
    -Spool valve noisey steering gear replacement/fluid/gear/OLH Nec for bleeding system
    -Carrier noisy due to no insulation/C2465 Instrument panel carrier replacement
    -Leaking core Air conditioning evaporator core replacement
    steering wheel airbad coil replacement
    flush and bleed power steering sysdtem
    air distributor case replacement
    pump and/or gasket coolant replace
    replace front engine mount
    -Sway bar links/Road test. Check all front sub frame and suspenstion found play in front sway bar links. Replace E21470.7 OLH 0.5 Total 1.2
    internal binding in steering housing replace steertin gear housing, bleed system with ATF
    -AC his and not cooling, low on freon, found line leaking @condensor fitting Replace refrig, valve, core, reseal line, replace service fittings and carge system and test drive with customer to confirm repairs
    -Performed diag tested starting charging system after recharging battery found generator commanded 100% but not enough amp at abattery tested found excessive resistance in starter cable/replace starter cable and retest 1.0OLH for extended diag and battery charge time
    - Camera replaced 2 times
    - Left front door and right back door applique has been replaced 4 times

I'm now using my extended warranty to resolve some of the old and new issues. What is frustrating is that I'm repairing problems that should not occur since it's only 3 years old. Furthermore, every time I bring it in there's a deductible of $100 even if these are issues that I have had problems with since I first purchased the car. What bugs me the most, is that the service department will say at least I have extended warranty and I'm only out of $100 compared to the thousands of dollars I would pay if I didn't have it. My answer is always, why should I even have to pay for problems that existed when my car was under warranty and why should a car that's 3 years old have major issues.

Honestly, I would rather drive my other car that's a Toyota Hybrid because it feels much more sturdy and I don't have to hear all the irritating noises.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello jqurick,

I recognize how frustrating this whole situation has been for you, and apologize that you've had to make repeat trips to the dealership without your concerns being fully resolved. We'd like to start a case for you within our system to document your concerns and investigate this issue further. If this is of interest to you, please email us your name, VIN, exact mileage, contact info and dealership. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please also reference your screen name.

Thanks,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Dear Amber N.:
    Per your request: Please contact me and I will provide you with my information and VIN #
    Name:
    Phone: 714-944-0765
    VIN #
    Mileage: 56,998

I forgot to mention the other two problems:

10/26/2011 Tire replaced 2 front tires
    dismount and balance 2 tires -

11/7/2012 same tires replaced were worn out - service department never recommended or checked
    tires

5/29/2013 Battery No crank no start Batery test failed/replaced batery

8/2/2013 Battery Key will not come out of ignition Performed diag tested starting charging system after recharging battery found generator commanded 100% but not enough amp at abattery tested found excessive resistance in starter cable/replace starter cable and retest 1.0OLH for extended diag and battery charge time
  • adams704adams704 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    I too, have been having trouble with my steering. It started at about 58,000 miles. When I take turns or try pulling into a parking spot, the steering completely locks up. It has been scary a few times, so scary, that I don't even valet park it at hotels or restaurants anymore as I fear what could happen to the person driving it, not knowing the issue. We took into the GM dealership and they could not "replicate the problem". I was told to wait until it gets worse and then they might be able to detect something. It is definitely worse now, and they have finally found an issue. They said it is likely the power steering pump and that the cost would range between $1,500-$1,900.

I will obviously have to get this fixed as I use this vehicle to tow my young children around. But after reading so many similar complaints, I decided to file a complaint with NHTSA. I find it suspicious that so many people are having the same problem that is a real threat to safety. Once I get it fixed, we plan to sell our Buick and do not plan to purchase another one. It is a shame because I really liked the look and space of the Enclave but I am not willing to pay $50K for a car that has these types of problems for so many people.
  • firestonetechfirestonetech Member Posts: 1
    Here is the fix.
    These cars have no tolerance for debris or metal shavings in the fluid. You need to install an in line filter on the return hose going into the reservoir. You can use a fuel filter with 3/8" hose fittings. Make sure the filter has a metal casing because p.s.fluid gets very hot. Drive for a few days and you can remove the filter if you like. Filter will catch all metal shavings that get caught in valves and cause hard steering. Flushing the fluid wont do a good enough job, the filter will.
    Good Luck!
    I've posted my information for Amber N. from GM Customer Care on December 1, 2013 and I still have not seen an email or phone call. Amber. Please contact me.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Best thing to do is email GM customer service yourself.
  • blacklemon2008blacklemon2008 Member Posts: 1

I have had my 2008 enclave for less than two years. We bought it "certified pre owned" which doesn't mean anything to me anymore and have had to replace the battery the brakes and the power steering system twice within 6 months it's in the shop right now for the same problems yet their telling me it's the belt and will be 250.00 to fix. Now I have also started having transmittion problems it shifts so hard sometimes I think it's going to give me whiplash the technician told me today the they reset the transmittion whatever that means and he wants me to drive it and tell him if it happens again. I have had it with this vehicle I am very dissatisfied with the quality of this vehicle and the lack of support from GM or the Buick dealership.

• jamesjakejamesjake Member Posts: 1

I have a 2009 Buick Enclave, 68,000 miles. Just had to replace Oil sensor, power steering pump, rack and pinion gear, and front axle. $2400. I requested help from my local GM dealer and they reduced the charges to $1250. Still, more repair costs than I have ever paid for a 4 year old vehicle with only 68,000 miles. Now I have a "park assist" warning light on. Back to the GM garage in the morning!

• byntymebyntyme Member Posts: 2

Same issues - whining noise at low speeds. Spoke with GM - they contacted dealer. I was furious that they refuse to acknowledge this as a problem. They say that there are not enough problems reported to require them to issue a recall. They say that they are not responsible for this decision. It is a federal safety issue and that they issue recalls based on numbers, however, this has not happened often enough to issue a recall. Also, if there is a recall in the future I will be reimbursed retroactively for my expenses. I am so angry! My dealer, however sings a different tune. Says that this problem exists in the Enclave, Acadia and the Chevy Traverse...... I am not sure that I believe or trust anything they have to say! I have a 2011 Enclave (which I absolutely loved up until now!) with 60K on it. Now out of warranty - Eventually this will have to be fixed - leaving a very large dent in my pocket and a hole in my heart because I really thought I would have this car for a long time. However, once it is paid off I am dumping it. No more Buicks or GM cars for me. Not ever!

• byntymebyntyme Member Posts: 2

Also, I reported this complaint to http://www.nhtsa.gov/

I've posted my information for Amber N. from GM Customer Care on December 1, 2013 and I still have not seen an email or phone call. Amber. Please contact me.

Hi jqurick,

I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner! If you are still experiencing vehicle issues, please feel free to forward your information to our inbox, as well as a few more details of what it is you are experiencing. I look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• jlfskillzjlfskillz Member Posts: 1

2008 Buick enclave 90,xxx Miles.. gotta replace my rack and pinion... 1200 dollars later

• mwagar1271mwagar1271 Member Posts: 1

2008 Enclave; $81,000 miles. Have to replace rack...$1,571. This seems to be a common problem on this thread, so is GM doing anything about it? Does GM offer to pay the cost of parts for this?

• khrystallinakhrystallina Member Posts: 3

I'm filing a complaint on http://www.nhtsa.gov/ tonight when I get home. The rack and pinion had already been replaced when we bought my 2010 Buick Enclave last year at 45k miles. Now at 58k, exactly a year after we bought it we are having to replace the steering column. The dealership said the repair would cost $800 and was not completely neccesary to replace but reading here and on the safercar.gov website about complaints about this model I may have to because many said it started with the noise then moved to difficulty turning the wheel. I mean my water pump went out and there was a recall on it so I am sure that this will be an issue to. Seems to me like people are having an issue on this then there needs to be a recall.

My two children ride in my enclave daily, their safety is important to me.

• jamesbecraftjamesbecraft Member Posts: 1

This just happened this morning to my 2008 Buick Enclave with 114,000 +/- miles.. My wife was driving it down and the power steering just went out. According to the dealership that I have taken it to. "The lost of steering was due to a catastrophic failure of the steering rack.". The seal at the end blew completely out.. Luckily she was driving in a straight line and approaching a stop sign when this happened. Can't imagine if this would have happened as she was driving 55 mph + down the highway. I don't even want to think about a head on collision or going around a curve and this happened, with the result of the car flipping or rolling over because of not being able to control the vehicle. As others have stated on this an other sits. I can not believe that GM hasn't fixed or recalled this issue. Maybe no one has died from this yet is the problem. This is my wife and two young son's everyday transport. I see Toyota is stepping up and fixing a problem with their vehicles suddenly shutting off while driving.. I think it's about time GM recognizes and rectifies the issue..

By the way the dealer has called and said $1,300 for the new rack and pinion as well.

Never had any oil under the vehicle (leakage) as it's parked in a garage every night no signs of oil usage just a catastrophic failure. Kind of like the time the computer, water pump and transmission all went out in the same day a few years back.. Again seems like a common thread on this and other sites

• kerrihkerrih Member Posts: 1

My 2010 Enclave power steering is leaking and needs replaced. So do my front struts. I found that there is a class action lawsuit against GM for faulty steering systems in GMC Acadia, Buick Enclaves and Chevrolet Traverse vehicles from 2009-2012 filed in April 2013. Does anyone know if there is an update on the lawsuit?

Hi kerrih,

We recognize your dissatisfaction with the power steering on your Buick Enclave and we would be more than happy look more into this matter for you. Can you please private message us your VIN, contact information, mileage, and preferred dealership? We'd like to begin researching your concerns as soon as possible. If you'd like to email me, I can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please be sure to reference your screen name.

Thank you,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• lizeezlizeez Member Posts: 1

When it rains it pours! I took my 2008 Enclave in for new brakes & when I went to pick it up, they told me that I would not only need a new water pump (immediately!) and new struts, I would need to replace the whole steering system because of the power steering pump leaking.

My mechanic told me that I could possibly have everything cleaned & run a stop leak fluid through the power steering system to buy some time on replacing it. Has anyone heard of this working or should I just bite the bullet & get it in to do the whole thing right away?

The only reason I'm wondering which would be better is because we're planning on taking my car on a road trip to Florida in a month & I don't want to be stranded on the side of the road in the mountains if the power steering goes out.

Any help/insight would be appreciated!

@gmcustsvc said:
    Hi kerrih,

We recognize your dissatisfaction with the power steering on your Buick Enclave and we would be more than happy look more into this matter for you. Can you please private message us your VIN, contact information, mileage, and preferred dealership? We'd like to begin researching your concerns as soon as possible. If you'd like to email me, I can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please be sure to reference your screen name.

Thank you,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

Amber,

What about the rest of us? We have concerns and issues with our vehicles. Issues that should be covered under a recall. How can you ignore the rest of us and single out one? I have tried calling the customer service line but it's busy (ALL THE TIME). I also emailed and never got a responce. This is unbelievable. Obviously most people get these type of vehicles because they have children, this is unsafe for them! Does someone have to die before GM adds this as a recall?

I'm expecting an answer, if you can not supply it send it high up! We are paying customers, most of us loyal for generations. Get it together and get back to us soon!

Some of you probably already figured it out, I almost fell for it because of the whole GM.com email address, Amber is not legit. It you go to GM's website you can see that all brands have specific email related to the brand. Also, why would she ask for the vin number so she can look up recalls, that is give at a government website. Don't give that info out!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

@khrystallina said:
    Some of you probably already figured it out, I almost fell for it because of the whole GM.com email address, Amber is not legit

The customer service folks are legitimate. If you check, the group has a few thousand posts here on Edmunds. They also are reading and helping on some other websites.

Also, why would she ask for the vin number so she can look up recalls, that is give at a government website. Don't give that info out!

The VIN for a specific car tracks which, if any, recalls are available for that vehicle and tracks which have been performed. It's the same as stopping at your Chevy dealer and asking them to look up any open recalls for your 2012 Malibu sitting out in parking which would mean a general information lookup vs. having them take the specific vin from your Malibu and entering it into the computer system to see exactly what open recalls are there.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Thanks for your concern, but they are legitimate representatives.

@khrystallina said:
    Some of you probably already figured it out, I almost fell for it because of the whole GM.com email address, Amber is not legit. It you go to GM's website you can see that all brands have specific email related to the brand. Also, why would she ask for the vin number so she can look up recalls, that is give at a government website. Don't give that info out!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Stop leak only attempts to swell up the seals, and while it might work for a little bit, it generally will make the leak worse in a short time. You can try but don't get your expectations up too much and don't pay a lot to have it done.

@lizeez said:
    When it rains it pours! I took my 2008 Enclave in for new brakes & when I went to pick it up, they told me that I would not only need a new water pump (immediately!) and new struts, I would need to replace the whole steering system because of the power steering pump leaking.

My mechanic told me that I could possibly have everything cleaned & run a stop leak fluid through the power steering system to buy some time on replacing it. Has anyone heard of this working or should I just bite the bullet & get it in to do the whole thing right away?

The only reason I'm wondering which would be better is because we're planning on taking my car on a road trip to Florida in a month & I don't want to be stranded on the side of the road in the mountains if the power steering goes out.

Any help/insight would be appreciated!

• tedenclavetedenclave Member Posts: 1

Just purchased 2011 Enclave with 49K. At 54K I encountered the steering 'rubbing'. Took to the dealer and they told me it was a rubber bushing that was worn and needed to be replace to stop the noise. They said the material in the replacement part had been changed by GM and that this problem should not reoccur. This cost $225 and I was told that neither the dealer nor GM would help with the cost. They also said that this was just a noise issue and not a safety issue.

This looks like a common problem that could actually get worse. What is the status with GM on this problem? I actually saw a class action against GM but don't know much about it. What I really want to know is how to proceed. Thanks

• no_codeno_code Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2014

I have a Certified Preowned 2010 Enclave with approx. 56k miles on it. I randomly lose power steering at low speeds (parking lots, garages, exiting those location.) I have read many complaints on this and filed with NHTSB. I took into my dealer today and get the " There are no codes and we cannot reproduce the problem". I explained that I knew this specific problem has NHTSB complaints and possibly a class action lawsuit against GM and they should know about it. They simply said that there is nothing they can do until they get a code or are able to reproduce. So, they claim GM suggests to replace power steering fluid with transmission fluid and that is what they are going to do.

I asked the tech what would happen if say it totally goes out is 6k miles when warranty runs out and was told that we would have to discuss it when that happens, but to be assured they are not trying to hold off until warranty is out.

Are there any solutions to this? Does it get worse with time? Has anyone had high speed loss of power steering?

I just spoke to GM chat online customer assistance team. They are supposedly going to have GM techs contact the dealer to discuss possible fixes to the problem.

• boomer0707boomer0707 Member Posts: 1

Bad luck or.....? My Buick's extended warranty just expired around Oct '13, and repairs have followed ever since. Was having the steering issue mentioned above (freezing while trying to turn)...brought the car in right before the warranty expired and they replaced the pump. At the time I said, "my warranty was going to expire, would you mind just checking out the whole car to see if anything 'obviously' needs replacing?". Just the power steering pump. A few months later needed a whole new suspension...struts and control arms....about $2k. Now have the steering noise (whine type noise) when turning at low speeds....bring car in and now needs new rack and pinion...another $1.5k. At this point would've been better off with a new car.....and probably not a Buick.

Why is the steering issue not a recall?? Maybe if we had an explanation as to "why" we might not be as upset.

Thanks!

• tandlbeardtandlbeard Member Posts: 3

2008 Enclave
    50K for a luxury car ---I'm looking for a lawyer!
    Class Action Suit Complaint:
    Gm 4-1-13 The Court denied GM's motion to dismiss and ordered it to answer the complaint.

http://gotaclassaction.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Gm-4-1-13.pdf
    My experience:
    1st time replaced power steering, 2nd time replaced power steering assembly, replaced parts with power steering 3rd time, noise while turning....mngr said he couldn't hear it- 4th time. hmhmhmhmhmhm.. leaking sunroof onto electrical connections-water sloshing inside roof and pouring down door posts onto the floor. 3rd row seat belt strangled daughter-had to cut off her neck with a pocket knife after we pulled off the road (the seatbelt was key locked ) REPLACED SEAT BELT. Rear hatch repaired 3 times--now it wont work at all. Water pump replaced....air conditioner doesn't work-the pipes that carry the air rubbed together (after rubbing through the protective anti-rubbing sleeves) behind the back tire and now has several holes (3,000 repair). Airbags fixed 4 times....air bag warning light still on. Passenger air bag "off" light illuminated while daughter rides in the passenger seat (5"10 @ 120lbs). Now ENGINE light is illuminated. ****

Does anyone know of a solution or how to get the dealers to fix this? I am down to 4K miles remaining on my warranty and the dealer wont touch the power steering (other than replace PS fluid with Trans. Fluid) unless there is a code or they can get it to reproduce the problem. I feel like they are waiting for the warranty to run out.

I have also had this car in at least 5 times due to A/C-climate control issues. They have recharged the "Freon" at least 3 times (within 1.25 years with dye and consistently tell me there is no leak. I just had it recharged 4 weeks ago and now have no A/C.

I have had this car into the shop more than my previous 4 cars combined and am completely frustrated. I purchased this car because we ran out of space in my 2007 Saturn vue with 160k miles and no problems (only replaced one set of bearing and had a clip on exhaust fail). Now I am hauling my 10 month old baby, 3 year old, 5 year old, 15 year old, and my wife in this thing that randomly loses power steering at low speeds and with an A/c That stops working after a month.

I contacted GM hotline and they saw that I had tried to repair the A/C three times or more and said it is unacceptable, so are going to send me to another lot and if they cannot fix it they are going to send to regional center-- guess I'll see how that goes, but don't have a car my family will fit in during the remaining time.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

I'd consider buying the extended warranty. I suggesting reading what's covered by GMPP which is the original and is now owned by Ally Bank and by GM Extended Protection Plan which is GM's own warranty now. You can buy up until your original warranty expires (4yr/48,000 mi?).

I suggest comparing pricing on http://gmoutlet.com/. When I bought a Cobalt, I purchased a GMPP warranty then and they were cheaper than others at that time. They will email pricing on GMPP which is done by class groups. I am not clear on whether they will email GMEPP pricing if you email them all the data about your vehicle or if you have to call.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Hello no_code,

We are sorry to hear of the concerns you are experiencing with your vehicle. I understand why you would be worried with your warranty coming to an end. Although I cannot guarantee a different resolution, I'd be happy to reach out to your dealership on your behalf for more information. You are welcome to reach out to me via email at socialmedia@gm.com. We look forward to hearing from you!

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

My father in law contacted GM through some complaint number and got some kind of confirmation number with GM. I then took to another dealer to diagnose my issues.

The immediately knew something was wrong with the steering after hearing it, dont know why the dealer I purchased from did not know this. They replaced the steering gear and then determined the pump was not working correctly either.

They said again that my Freon was completely empty (only 4 weeks since the last refill). After over a week of having the car they were unable to detect any dye from the A/C. I am still wondering how "empty A/C" in 4 weeks is not the result of a detectable leak. This is also what the other dealer said even though they fixed they recharged the AC the two prior times. I have had the thing in with AC problems numerous times (4+ recharges) since I purchased in March 2013. Does anyone know what's going on?

• okbrownokbrown Member Posts: 1

My 2009 has the same Bloody loud noise coming from the steering system...Sounds like a Ford product driving down the road. Had it looked at just after the warranty was up (which I didn't know the in service date so that was a bummer). The service guy said I should drive it until it went out for real. Can anyone justify this not being a recall? Or a longer lasting replacement option at lease??
    I wanted to trade it for another vehicle but they wouldn't give me enough for it so I am stuck until I get closer to the trade in "value" on what is owed :'( .

GM did give me a discount on motor repair but this will be the 3rd time in with a running total of $2000.00 thus far and the steering will add another 1000+ as far as I am being told. SHEESH!

• pollock3spollock3s Member Posts: 2

@aaplsue said:
    My steering is making a rubbing noise when I turn, does anybody have this problem and if so what was the outcome?

• pollock3spollock3s Member Posts: 2

Yes, my 2009 Enclave hasn't had the problems most have posted fortunately. The noise seems like it's more on the inside column area like a couple of rubber band belts needing lubricant.

• enclaveissue2enclaveissue2 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2009 Buick Enclave and the noise from the power steering is almost unbearable at low speed when turning. Is there any information on a recall for this issue?? I am really at the point of trading this GM and going back to anything foreign. It is a true money pit at this point.

@enclaveissue2 said:
    I have a 2009 Buick Enclave and the noise from the power steering is almost unbearable at low speed when turning. Is there any information on a recall for this issue?? I am really at the point of trading this GM and going back to anything foreign. It is a true money pit at this point.

I am sorry you feel this way based on your current situation. Have you discussed this with your dealership or had your vehicle diagnosed? We are happy to help you get in contact with your dealership. You are welcome to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with your VIN and contact information.

Thank you,

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• mgarner1234mgarner1234 Member Posts: 6

I hope everyone reads these posts and avoids the 2008 Buick Enclave like the plague. I wish I would have rad these before I decided to buy a Buick instead of a Toyota. Should have know better and now $2000 later just for repair cots in less than a month. I have a bad feeling this is just the first of many more repair $$$. Looking to dump this car as soon as possible.

• mgarner1234mgarner1234 Member Posts: 6

@no_code said:
    I have a Certified Preowned 2010 Enclave with approx. 56k miles on it. I randomly lose power steering at low speeds (parking lots, garages, exiting those location.) I have read many complaints on this and filed with NHTSB. I took into my dealer today and get the " There are no codes and we cannot reproduce the problem". I explained that I knew this specific problem has NHTSB complaints and possibly a class action lawsuit against GM and they should know about it. They simply said that there is nothing they can do until they get a code or are able to reproduce. So, they claim GM suggests to replace power steering fluid with transmission fluid and that is what they are going to do.

I asked the tech what would happen if say it totally goes out is 6k miles when warranty runs out and was told that we would have to discuss it when that happens, but to be assured they are not trying to hold off until warranty is out.

Are there any solutions to this? Does it get worse with time? Has anyone had high speed loss of power steering?

I just spoke to GM chat online customer assistance team. They are supposedly going to have GM techs contact the dealer to discuss possible fixes to the problem.

Good luck with that. My dealership, McKinney Buick is worthless. Their prices and repairs are "non-negotiable" their quote not mine. More interested in $$$ than servicing a new GM customer. (soon to be former or never again GM customer) My Enclave only has 60000 miles on it. Same humming noise I see a lot in these forums.

We are truly sorry to hear this! Anything we can do to help? If you'd like our assistance, you are welcome to reach out to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com attn:Andraya. We hope to hear from you!

Andraya
    GM Customer Care