Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

Comments

• billtortbilltort Member Posts: 3

Add my 2011 Chevy Impala LT with 66,500 miles on it to the list...

About 4 months ago my wife reported to me that something had happened to the car, and it said Stabilitrak, but that after a restart the car seemed normal, and the engine light went out after a day or so. I racked it up to a fluke.

Yesterday on my ride home (I travel 35 miles each way) The engine light came on, the Reduced Power message flashed and luckily I was only going 20mph in Boston traffic. I got over to the breakdown lane, shut the car off and waited a minute, restarted and was able to get home.

I have an insanely busy week, so I could not take the car to be looked at this morning, and of course, backing out of my driveway, less than 5 yards, it does it again. And again, I shut the car off and restarted and I made it to work...

In a last ditch effort I shut off the traction control, does that help at all? I am so busy this week, with important matters that I really cannot afford to not have my vehicle...

I also have a mechanic I trust over the dealerships, has anyone used a local mechanic to fix this issue? Is this covered at all my the powertrain warranty? Have most people found that fixing the Throttle Body is the answer? Are there reports out there on this issue?

I bought this car with 25k miles on it, and was hoping this would be my workhorse for 10 years... I'm having doubts and buyers remorse (should I have bought the Altima).

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

Hello billtort,

I definitely recognize your frustration and apologize that you recently experienced this trouble with your vehicle. I understand that you're leaning more towards having your independent mechanic fix this issue for you, but I would like to do some additional research on this matter as well. Could you please message me your contact information and VIN so I can look into any service announcements related to your concern? Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

Kicker to my story, it pulled the same stuff 3 more times on my 32 mile ride home... I am taking it to my mechanic to read the codes in the morning. We will decide if it should go to the dealer.

• theprof13theprof13 Member Posts: 3

2007 chevy impala 3.9L finally fixed!!! i posted my problem with my car about a month or so ago its the same problem many are having and after about 600 to 700 bucks worth of dead end work i purchased a $50 wire connector that runs to the throttle motor and like magic the problem is gone. this is after i had it at the dealer twice for them to tell me nothing was wrong and that i would probably have to replace the PCM. basically one of the wires had a short which was probably the ground wire.

• johngd1johngd1 Member Posts: 1

Has anyone confirmed a fix for the "service stabilitrak, reduced engine power" problem? My 2010 Impala LT did it once about a week ago, then after restarting it worked fine, now it's doing it all the time. The car starts and I get the warnings, it idles very rough and isn't driveable. I have an appointment at a dealership to have it looked at tomorrow but I have to figure out how to get it there.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Consensus leans toward new throttle body but that hasn't produced consistent results for everyone.

Hi johngd1,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this concern with your Impala. I am not properly trained to offer technical advice, but if you would like for us to check into anything for you, please feel free to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com. In the email please include your full name, contact information, VIN current mileage, and a brief summary of your situation. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kristen A. (Assisting Amber)
    GM Customer Care

• larry227larry227 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 09 impala ss and when I was driving it the message reduce speed popped up n my car start slowing down I im very pissed

So my car was looked at by my local mechanic and he checked al the connections and the car was fine for a week, but now has gone back to tripping this stbilitrak once per every trip. I am going to have to take it to the dealership. Can anyone give me a rough idea how much this is going to cost me?

• jun32jun32 Member Posts: 1

I purchased a Chevy 2008 Impala in late January 2013 with less that 55k mile on it, now it's been about a year it's around 64k mile.

Today on my way to work, the traction control light and engine light are on and there are the message of traction control is on and also the engine power is reduced. I felt the speed of the car reduced, luckily I am on local street without many traffic. After about an hour I tried to tested it again and only the engine light is on, the speed of the car is normal.

I am not familiar with car problems and also it's my first time to own a car. But I read a lot posts here and found so many people experiencing the similar problems. I am disappointed to learn that GM hasn't resolved this issue.

I hope I could fix it soon, nobody want a random dangerous situation! I have sent an email to Chvey and waiting to see, and will post once there is an update.

@jun32 said:
    I purchased a Chevy 2008 Impala in late January 2013 with less that 55k mile on it, now it's been about a year it's around 64k mile.

Today on my way to work, the traction control light and engine light are on and there are the message of traction control is on and also the engine power is reduced. I felt the speed of the car reduced, luckily I am on local street without many traffic. After about an hour I tried to tested it again and only the engine light is on, the speed of the car is normal.

I am not familiar with car problems and also it's my first time to own a car. But I read a lot posts here and found so many people experiencing the similar problems. I am disappointed to learn that GM hasn't resolved this issue.

I hope I could fix it soon, nobody want a random dangerous situation! I have sent an email to Chvey and waiting to see, and will post once there is an update.

Hi jun32,

We're sorry to learn that you've had this trouble with your Impala and we definitely understand the importance of having this fixed. If you've already emailed socialmedia@gm.com did you include your screen name? That way I can be sure to look out for your message when it comes. If you have any further concerns, please feel free to private message us with your VIN and contact information.

Thank you,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• allison14allison14 Member Posts: 1

Hi I'm having the same problem with my 2008 Impala (alleged certified when i bought it in 2011). I almost lost my life on the highway, the traction control light came on and reduce engine speed. I went form 65mph to about 5 in a matter of seconds, the car behind me just barely missed from slamming into the back of me. Now my car is at the auto shop with codes P2138, P0171 and P1171. IT'S A SHAME SOMEONE WILL HAVE TO DIE BEFORE THEY EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH THE VEHICLE NOT THE OWNER'S. I’ve been a GM customer for over 25 years, but this incident changes my hold outlook on GM. I'm trading that car in as soon as possible and will never buy another GM car ever!!!!! If anyone asks me about an IMPALA I WOULD CLEARLY STATE BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

• dotcommdotcomm Member Posts: 1

I saw this trouble posted on another forum and because I have an 09 Impala police car I decided to check this out and after reading these posts I found an interesting video on You-tube.
    this trouble seems to happen to lots of Chevy's with stabilink This video is an eye opener.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2DjMcM_Quk

• koda1021koda1021 Member Posts: 1

Well, add me to the list. Yesterday, my husband was driving our 2013 Impala (got it late summer last year) and the reduced power came on, check engine light, the whole thing. Also, the remote start no longer works. Our car has only 7,700 miles on..only 1,600 of which is what we put on it (car was a demo model). We have a service appointment Monday, but based on what I'm seeing this is nothing new. I'm frustrated because the dealership wore me down when we got this car (originally were there to get a Camaro) and I was finally so tired I gave in and said "fine..we'll take the darn Impala!!" and no, that is nobody else's fault but my own (but in my defense, I have epilepsy and my meds make me VERY tired, so being at the dealership nearly all day, I was beat!) and I've regretted that decision every since because the car truly stinks and this is just the icing on the cake (I mean really...have this problem on a brand new car?!) I contacted a different dealer near me, and we are seeing if we can somehow get me into the car we originally wanted, especially now with this happening. I don't know, it'll take miracles because I just recently realized they tacked on $8k in negative equity from my trade (and yes, again, I know it's my fault for not reading the contract fully or understanding the numbers). This car has been nothing but a nightmare since the day we got it!

• pepitomarpepitomar Member Posts: 1

After the reduced engine power and stabilitrac warnings came on, my wife's 2010 Impala actually started to lose power. She drove it to the nearest local dealership garage which diagnosed the problem and stated the car was under " recall". This local dealership told me to take the car to the main Chevy dealership to discuss the problem. I drove the car ( about 8 miles)to the main dealership without any problem. I was then told that my wife's car was not under their "recall" notice but they would check the problem out and let me know. They diagnosed the problem as a broken throttle body along with a transmission line leak. The car, at 66,000 + miles , is under warranty but I had to pay my deductible of $50.00. Dealership did not have a loaner car to give us so we were told to rent a car and they would pay the equivalent of two days rental since the part had to be ordered. After two days, the dealership called to say that the part did not come in because it was on back order. We were told that it was a national issue and may take several days before it came. The delarship said we could pick up the Impala, drive it and if it started losing power to simply pull over, turn the engine off, wait a few minutes, turn it back on and it would be okay. We returned the rental, picked up the Impala which my wife drove to work and bigger than Stuttgart, the car started losing power again. Luckily, the day that it lost power, the part came. The part was installed, costing me a total of $233.10 which included my $50.00 deductible and five days worth of rental. I have had three other Chevrolets besides this but this is the first time we have had numerous problems. This 2010 Impala has gone through a transmission repair at just over 50,000 + miles and then this. May have to bid adieu with Chevy and pick something else for our next car.

@pepitomar said:
    After the reduced engine power and stabilitrac warnings came on, my wife's 2010 Impala actually started to lose power. She drove it to the nearest local dealership garage which diagnosed the problem and stated the car was under " recall". This local dealership told me to take the car to the main Chevy dealership to discuss the problem. I drove the car ( about 8 miles)to the main dealership without any problem. I was then told that my wife's car was not under their "recall" notice but they would check the problem out and let me know. They diagnosed the problem as a broken throttle body along with a transmission line leak. The car, at 66,000 + miles , is under warranty but I had to pay my deductible of $50.00. Dealership did not have a loaner car to give us so we were told to rent a car and they would pay the equivalent of two days rental since the part had to be ordered. After two days, the dealership called to say that the part did not come in because it was on back order. We were told that it was a national issue and may take several days before it came. The delarship said we could pick up the Impala, drive it and if it started losing power to simply pull over, turn the engine off, wait a few minutes, turn it back on and it would be okay. We returned the rental, picked up the Impala which my wife drove to work and bigger than Stuttgart, the car started losing power again. Luckily, the day that it lost power, the part came. The part was installed, costing me a total of $233.10 which included my $50.00 deductible and five days worth of rental. I have had three other Chevrolets besides this but this is the first time we have had numerous problems. This 2010 Impala has gone through a transmission repair at just over 50,000 + miles and then this. May have to bid adieu with Chevy and pick something else for our next car.

Hello pepitomar,

I'm glad to hear that your local dealership was able to address this concern for you in a timely manner. However, I am saddened to learn that this experience has you considering other brands for your next vehicle purchase. If you ever have any questions or concerns about your Impala, please do not hesitate to reach out to us, as we are more than happy to help address your concerns.

Amber N.

GM Customer Care

• amathawamathaw Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys. I have heard your stories and mine was the same for almost 7 months. I took it to three shops and they said the codes were showing that nothing is wrong with the car. I took it to another dealership last night and they called today and said one of the codes came back and showed that I needed a new accelerator pedal. I haven't yet got the car back and been able to test drive it but I'll be getting the car back tomorrow. If I dont get back and report anything otherwise, that means the problem has been solved. I hope you all get this issue resolved.
  • amathawamathaw Member Posts: 2
    Im going to personally write the company because a lot of people could've lost their lives. I also had to come out of $604.
  • debbieuredebbieure Member Posts: 4

Has anyone that has had this fixed had this happen again. I am getting my throttle body assembly replaced and hoping this is going to be the last of it

• travelingnursetravelingnurse Member Posts: 11

I can't figure out how to post pictures,,, anyone?? :)

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    Consensus leans toward new throttle body but that hasn't produced consistent results for everyone.

Check out where the harness is attached,, on my car it was attached too far away and with zero slack, therefore pulling on the wires every time the engine moved. easy fix for me,, just reattached elsewhere so the wires move WITH the engine. I am trying to post pictures, but my blond hair is not allowing me :)

pictures

more 2008 Impala

• mikeg0527mikeg0527 Member Posts: 2

I have a 2010 Chevy Impala and the tractsion control comes on followed by reduced engine power and shortly nthere after the fuel supply to the engine is cut off causing the car to stop running happened twice today almost having a truck up my back what is the problem

• mikeg0527mikeg0527 Member Posts: 2

what and where is the throttle position sensor on a 2010 impala located and what is the price of this part does any one know??

@mikeg0527 said:
    I have a 2010 Chevy Impala and the tractsion control comes on followed by reduced engine power and shortly nthere after the fuel supply to the engine is cut off causing the car to stop running happened twice today almost having a truck up my back what is the problem

Hi mikeg0527,

I'm sorry to hear that your Impala cut off twice today and that you're also experiencing trouble with the traction control and reduced engine power. I'd like to further investigate this matter and look into seeking a possible resolution. In order to do so, can you please message me your VIN, contact information, mileage, and preferred dealership? I can also be reached through email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• susan5043susan5043 Member Posts: 1

I am having the same issue as all of the above. Why is GM not dealing with this very dangerous problem? Now they want me to go to a dealer even though the warranty is up! My personal mechanic has already diagnosed to problem, I don't need to spend another $100 for a dealer to tell me the same thing. I want to know what GM is doing about this very widespread problem???

@susan5043 said:
    I am having the same issue as all of the above. Why is GM not dealing with this very dangerous problem? Now they want me to go to a dealer even though the warranty is up! My personal mechanic has already diagnosed to problem, I don't need to spend another $100 for a dealer to tell me the same thing. I want to know what GM is doing about this very widespread problem???

Hello susan5043,

We rely on the technical expertise of our dealerships as our eyes and ears in the field. Your safety is very important to us and I understand your concerns with your vehicle cutting off. If you would like to private message us your full contact information, VIN, and mileage, we can create a service request for you within our system and try to assist in seeking a resolution. Feel free to private message us or by referencing your screen name, you can email me at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber].

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• jusunjusun Member Posts: 1

@imp3 said:
    I have the same problems with my impala 2009. Has anyone complained to Chevy about this? I have send them an email about the problem and I think we all should do this. If they get enough complains, maybe they will get this problem fixed.
    Here is the website to send the complain:
    http://www.chevrolet.com/help/contact-us.html

I don't see why we have to pay for repair cost if they put in a faulty part.
    Thanks

Hey there!, I totally agree the same has happened to me. Ive had my 2008 chevy impala for about a year now and Im getting the Reduced engine power msg. It also slows down a few mph, which is scary. Ive called GM this morning being that they are recalling cars with the same issue just not impala's. We must work together I heard there needs to be at least 1,000 complaints in order for something to be done, so I'm in with you all the way!! I will be clicking the link you left and making my complaint.

• fixmyimpalafixmyimpala Member Posts: 1

Hello, I just want to also go on record to say that my 2009 Chevy Impala v6 with 62k miles is displaying the "service traction control" and "reduced engine power" messages that it seems many Impala owners have experienced. Yesterday was the worst as I was about an hour from home on the freeway with no exits near. I had a semi in front and one behind me when my car started to slow. After shutting it off and sitting for awhile, I limped it home, sweating bullets the whole time. I am going to pony up the money to fix this, but from what I can see in these forums, it's time to trade this car in for something I can feel confident driving. I will be sending GM a message because I think it's important especially in light of their recent situation, that the company be aware of these issues. Good luck to all of you Impala owners and stay safe!

• rosemac1rosemac1 Member Posts: 1

I just bought a 2007 Chevy Impala for my daughter who is turning 18 and graduating high school. Wish I had read these posting first!! Within a week, she was stranded in middle of road because the REDUCED ENGINE POWER and check engine lights came on simultaneously; as well, her MPH dropped from 55 to 30 immediately -- this was during rush hour! This has happened to her since, over and over again. I drover her car this morning and it did it to me, but the car would not go over 5MPH. GM should have a recall on this issue, or maybe the 55.7K people who reviewed or commented on this post should hire an attorney. If something should have happened to her, you can best believe I would do all I could to put GM "out of business". GM NEEDS TO ISSUE A RECALL TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM FIXED, PERIOD, AT THEIR COST! No one should be paying out of their own pockets for an issue that is obviously derived during manufacturing of the vehicle!!! I am a single mom and could barely afford the car; she is disappointed that she now has "a piece of junk". I have read most of these posts -- has anyone resolved the issue as of yet??

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146

@rosemac1 said:
    I have read most of these posts -- has anyone resolved the issue as of yet??

Did you read the posts by @travelingnurse? Seems that person found a relatively cheap and easy fix. Here's a link to the first one by him/her: http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/4127606/#Comment_4127606

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• stacyj329stacyj329 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Chevy Impala in which the reduced power engine came on along with the traction light. I was on the freeway and my speed was reduced to 20 miles per hour. This is crazy especially seeing all of the posts because I now see I am NOT the only one. I really hate to go to GM and rack up a bill. what is going on?
  • jessejames45jessejames45 Member Posts: 1

Hello; I have a 2006 Chevy Impala LT with the 3.5 Liter V6 Engine - which I have owned for 4 years. The last few months my car has been exhibiting the dreaded "Reduced Engine Power" Problem.

What happened to me was at 11:30PM when it was pitch dark and I was driving thru a rural patch in Ohio first my "Check Engine Light" came on, then the "Reduced Engine Power" sign displayed, then a sign said something like "Engine Starting Disabled" and my engine died and started to crawl to a stop. Then while I was busy panicking and pulling the car over to the side of the road to stop the car - another message displayed saying something about the "Throttle or throttle body needing service".

I was stuck on a dark country road in the middle of no where. No Service Stations, No Stores, No businesses - just residential houses out in the country with their lights off. Plus it was a night where I forgot my cell phone and I did not have a flash-light. I walked to a house and tried knocking on their front door and rang the door-bell. There was no answer.

I walked back to the car and decided to disconnect the battery and reconnect it to re-set the computer and remove all the messages. Problem was that it was so dark - I couldn't even see the battery, let alone where the tiny nut is that holds the Positive battery cable on. I had to do it all by feel. Eventually I took it off - but when putting it back on I didn't bother with the tiny nut and just pushed the cable on to the battery. The car started and I drove home.

I called up a local car repair place and the mechanic told me that it was probably the Throttle Body and he could replace it for about $500. or he could try cleaning it for $50. Well, I am a 60 year old man who is disabled with Diabetes, Stage-3 Kidney Disease, and a Mis-aligned Spine and Herniated Discs. I applied for Disability but was rejected and it is under an Appeal and I am waiting for a hearing. I do not work and I have No Income. We live on my wife's Disability payments of $450. per month. I go to Free Food Pantries at Churches to get a little groceries each month.

I used to do some minor repairs on the old style cars when I was younger. I worked on the cars of the 1960's, 70's, and 80's. I had no Idea what a Throttle Body was. I looked on YouTube and found out a little about cleaning them - so I gave it a try.

I used a large spray can of "Shooter's Choice" Firearms Cleaner on the Throttle Body and the Sensor inside the Rubber tube just after the Air-Cleaner. The stuff is Either in a spray can - just the same as Carb Cleaner or Throttle Body Cleaner.

The Throttle Body was filthy as I also used my Finger covered with a rag to clean the throttle body. After cleaning it - my Idle speed went up from the usual 600PRM's to about 1200RPM's. The car wanted to go by itself down the road as soon as you took your foot off the brake.

The car was running good for about a month and the Idle speed slowly came back down to normal. But then a couple days ago - after a rainy day the "Check Engine Light" and the "Reduced Engine Power" Message came on as soon as I pulled out of my drive-way. I stopped on our corner in a Church parking Lot and disconnected and reconnected the battery cable and then went upon my way to go pick up some prescriptions from the store.

A couple days after - my disabled wife and myself had to drive about 60 miles to a Doctor's office. After driving maybe 25 or 30 miles on the way there - the "Check Engine Light" and the "Reduced Engine Power" message came on. I had to pull off the freeway at the next exit so I could stop, the car and disconnect the battery cable and reconnect it again to regain my engine power so I could continue our trip to the doctor. Then again on the way back home the same thing happened and I had to pull off at another exit. OH, and also on this day we had some heavy rain - so when taking the battery cable off and on - I got drenched.

So obviously cleaning the Throttle Body did not do anything. I am broke with no job and no money. I would be hard pressed to afford $10. right now. I guess I will have to look for that possible loose and strained wire connection they have been talking about. My next option would then to maybe try replacing the Gas Pedal and Sensor.

I find it difficult to believe that they would design a computer that Reduces your Engine Power and even shuts your engine off for something like a Suspension problem or a clogged catalytic Convertor, or even a Throttle sensor that gives uneven speed messages. None of those require the engine to reduce power or Turn off. It's not like the Engine is going to blow.up or something. If and only if the problem was with an emissions component - then it should just turn on the "Check Engine Light" and that's it. It should not Reduce Engine Power or shut the motor off. The check engine, light should be enough to notify you to fix it before your next emissions test.

Seeing that not only Impala's but also people with GM Pick-up trucks and SUV's are having these "Reduced Engine Power" messages also makes me think that I should look into buying a Foreign car next time - such as a Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, or Kia. My wife's 2003 Ford Taurus SE - also has problems with a Check Engine Light coming on - but at least Ford doesn't have the computer reduce engine power or shut the motor off.

• drw31drw31 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2010 Impala with the same problem with my impala,service traction control reduced engine power message, i went to Auto Zone and bought an OBDII scan tool and can reset the computer, I called GM Customer Service and all I got was a bunch of lip service from them the person on the phone seemed like he just wanted to get me off the phone.
    It seems like the problem is in the ECM, which would cost GM millions and millions of dollars to fix, thats why there is no recall, it's not just the impala, its about 15 different models of GM vehicles.
    Anyone with this problem should call or go online and file a complaint with the NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, I not sure what go it will do,but the goverment should know about this problem.
    I will never buy another GM product, my next car will be a Honda or Toyato.
    The only way GM will recall the cars, if people start dying god forbid that should happen, these are dangerous cars.

• naimsnaims Member Posts: 2

I have a 2008 Impala myself and I am away for Military training and my wife just told me the same issue with the car. She was on the highway and the "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" came on the dash. She almost had another vehicle slam into her while driving on a busy highway. I do not know what's going on and unsure what to do. Also I am over my 100k mile mark with this impala. I also try to stay with GM through my travels but I think I may need to find something more reliable elsewhere.

• naimsnaims Member Posts: 2

My wife just took the car to get looked at and it's a recall on the pedals. Which is going to now run me $500. SMH.

• czarcarczarcar Member Posts: 1

I have a 2008 Impala SS. I've run into the error code a number of times sometimes under circumstances that have threatened the life of my family. CHECK/REPLACE YOUR BATTERY. When the battery starts going bad all sorts of error codes and problems will come about. Dealership has told me everything from bad air sensors, bad gas pedal, insufficient wiring harness (this one was true).

My experience has led me to believe that the electrical specifications are insufficient to handle real world conditions. Here are my scenarios (in-order):
    1) Battery terminals corroding faster than they should. Tried various anti-corrosion methods and cleaning, new battery, nothing worked.
    2) Getting reduced engine power and traction control notices. Dealership says bad O2 sensor. Replaced. Good for 2 months and problems start appearing again.
    3) Car won't start. Battery buzzing and smoking. Cant remove key or power to vehicle. This story still pisses me off, but I'll stick to the problems. Dealership replaces corroded wiring harness (and battery w/o my knowledge). Larger wiring harness to handle more current. No more corrosion problems :)
    4) 1 year later. Error codes again. Dealership says error code is another O2 sensor or something. Replaced.
    5) 2 months later error codes return 2 hours into start of vacation. Cancel vacation return home. Dealership says bad gas pedal sensor (WTF?) I buy new gas pedal and self install.
    6) Two weeks later while on vacation car won't start. Unknown error codes. Realize that dealership has replaced my maintenance free battery w/ stock maintenance battery. Replace battery. No more error codes.
    7) Put old gas pedal back on. Still no error codes after 1.5 years.

I believe that most of my problems were caused by the failure of the electrical system being able to properly deal with the current, which caused the batteries to fail often. My suggestion (rather than fighting with a new harness unless you're under warranty) is to replace the battery first. Its glitching will trigger random error codes.

Note: as I understand the wiring harness is actually different pieces, and its only the part near the positive terminal that caused the problems. Double-check my accuracy though....

Now if I can only get the door locks to last more than 1 year....

• legal70legal70 Member Posts: 1

I have an 2009 Impala with between about 35 to 36 thousand miles. No problems with the vehicle until the other day. I was driving and all the sudden the reduced power light came on, then the service traction control light came on. I wasn't driving fast because I was going through a drive through line. I slowly drove on back to work and parked my car. I had Onstar to run a check and they told me it was something with the Power Train System. I had the vehicle towed to dealership after reading different horrar stories about similar situations and vehicles losing power and stopping in the middle of traffic.

Dealership had my vehicle for 3 days and I was finally told that there were no codes, they couldn't duplicate the issue and the tech could take a educational guest and it COULD be the APP Sensor. They could not guarantee that it was the problem nor could they guarantee that replacing the sensor would fix the problem. They told me that it wasn't covered by warranty OFCOURSE.

So I am very fustrated because nor I am not to happy about having a vehicle that may possiblity still have a problem and they don't know what it is.

Why doesn't GM recall this. I have read too many posts and emails about this problem.

SO now I either pay them to replace a senor that may not fix the issue and if it doesn't them I'm back in the same place possibliy looking at more money which i don't have especially when I still have warranties on this vehicle.

Hello legal70,

We are sorry to hear that you are having this concern with the reduced power light illuminating in your 2009 Chevrolet Impala. I can definitely understand your frustration because your dealership was unable to diagnose your concern. I'd be happy to document your feedback in our system. You are welcome to reach out to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Sincerely,

Andraya R.
    GM Customer Care

• leuy23leuy23 Member Posts: 1

I have an o8 Impala and I am also having the same problem with reduced engine power not sure what to do anybody help

• archie81542archie81542 Member Posts: 1

I just experienced the "Reduced Eng. Power" issue twice on my 2008 Impala SS. The first time I was driving down the road and the check engine and reduced eng. power light indicators switched on. I lost power steering, power breaks and the ability to accelerate. Luckily, I was able to coast to the side the road without hitting anything. Once the vehicle was stopped, I waited for a few minutes and could not re-start the car. I towed the vehicle to the GM dealer for repair. Whatever happened, also drained the battery overnight. The dealer determined there was a shorted powertrain relay and open ECM fuse. These items were replaced and the car went back to functioning. Three days later I was driving and the same issue occurred again. I once again towed the car back the dealer. They are not certain what is shorting out the powertrain fuses and draining the battery. I'm afraid the dealer is just going to start replacing equipment as they go. So far the issue has cost me around $900.00 for the repairs and towing. I have always been a GM person, will be reconsidering before I buy my next car.

• manana_moosemanana_moose Member Posts: 2

They can come pick up this Impala. Nobody will drive it because of the safety issue with this P2138 code. The engine shutting down on a highway about sent my brother over the edge of a cliff. He hasn't been behind the wheel of this death trap since.

Hello manana_moose,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your vehicle. We take customer safety very serious! Please reach out to me via email to socialmedia@gm.com Attn:Andraya to discuss further. Thank you!

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• manana_moosemanana_moose Member Posts: 2
    Message sent. Unless something as serious as this engine failure issue will be fixed under the power train warranty, I don't know what you can say to make me feel better about the car.
    Powertrain = makes the car go
    This issue = makes the car stop
    So then yes, that would be a power train issue. We aren't talking a broken radio knob or mirror that fell off. We are talking something major.
  • jimdagojimdago Member Posts: 1

I too had the same issue - a local repair shop was able to diagnose and correct the problem by installing a new throttle sensor.

• Now however, I have a new electrical issue that I wonder if it is an offshoot of the previous electrical issue.
    • Recently, there has been a knocking sound that is coming from somewhere in behind the glovebox area. I was initially able to stop the knocking if I switched the air handler from exterior to interior air. That no longer works and the sound will continue for a short period of time (maybe 30 seconds or so) before it stops.
    • But, if I change the settings on the A/C, or adjust the flow - it starts up again. It also has started knocking whenever I press the keyfob to open/unlock the doors, open the truck, etc. Pretty much anytime an electrical sensor is activated.
    • Has anyone esle experienced this?

If it's related to operation of the HVAC, I'm going to guess that you have a noisy blend door actuator back there.

• spudbudyspudbudy Member Posts: 1

Just got done working on my daughter's 07 Impala 3.5l she called me and said it displayed Reduced Engine Power and car would barely drive then it stalled and never restarted. Luckily she was on her way home on a street without much traffic and was able to get to the side of the road. So Google here I come. I ended up here and quite frankly I was shocked to see SO many similar complaints. After reading thru the many many issues and lack of any one fix, I took it apon myself to go the easy route and replace the accelerator pedal, relatively cheap and a 5 min project.

So off I went on a 50 mile drive to get to the car stopped @ Autozone for the part got to the car looked around and went ahead and changed the part. Attempted to start the car no joy! I ended up buying a code scanner since Autozone didn't have one to rent. Code came up PO641.
    Reference circuit "A" open or shorted. Great didn't have a clue what that means or how to fix it.
    Google didn't exactly save the day on this one. So after much more research and the conclusion was the Throttle body is bad, I felt this was not the cause but my daughter insisted this would fix it after all she read in on the internet and it must be true LOL. 2nd trip back to visit the car I also cleaned and replaced the positive battery terminal as many people seemed to believe this was the problem it wasn't but needed a good cleaning anyway. In the mean time we found a TSB#PIC4610B this one has you looking for chaffed wires in 3 different location.

The locations turned up nothing to show that a wire had been cut or shorted or rubbed in any way so on to the next TSB#PIP4102C. Now this one has the information that I needed to diagnose and ultimately fix the problem. This one has you checking the wires coming off the camshaft sensor which isn't visible without removing the power steering pump first. Removed the pump and the problem was obvious. The power steering pump was replaced because of the noise and it the interim my daughter filled and spilled the power steering fluid. It would appear that the power steering fluid has eaten away at the wire insulation and the result was all 3 wires on the camshaft sensor were shorted touching each other. After cleaning up the connector and the sensor which was half full of fluid, I separated the wires and taped each one hooked it back up again and HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN. The car started and ran. So after clearing the code with the code scanner this time it cleared. No MIL on codes all good.

So don't believe everything you read on the internet and you will be $$$ for it.This problem had me spending $$$ on various parts to find that electrical tape solved
    the problem for no cost.

I can only hope that someone who reads this finds it sooner rather then later and guides them in the right direction. I give full credit to the people over on the Impalaforums.com for all of their helpful information.

I'm kinda surprised you went through all that trouble (admirable level of determination) but then fell back on electrical tape. Wouldn't you have preferred a more permanent repair?