Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Forums Software - Updates and Reporting Issues

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited January 2019 in General

To ensure the Forums content is helpful to members as well as visitors, we are implementing a small change in how comments are rated. The "Awesome" button will be removed as it seemed a bit redundant to have it as well as the thumbs-up "Like". This will be beneficial in highlighting the great feedback for future functionality.

If you have received an Awesome badge in the past, it will still display on your profile.

If you have any questions, let us know!

Comments

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390

What has happened to the "Participated" section? I used it to locate the topics I was most interested in. Without it, it becomes very difficult to locate them. Help!

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    edited March 2014

Another change (or am I missing something?), the ability to post images from URLs has vanished.

Edit: looks like manual html works.

• MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101

@andys120 said:
    What has happened to the "Participated" section? I used it to locate the topics I was most interested in. Without it, it becomes very difficult to locate them. Help!

Not sure what happened there, but we will get that restored as soon as possible. Thanks for reporting it -- and apologies for the inconvenience!

@fintail said:
    Another change (or am I missing something?), the ability to post images from URLs has vanished.

Edit: looks like manual html works.

Looks like it's been updated to a file icon on the right side of the tool bar...

@andys120 said:

This should now be fixed. Thanks again for reporting it.

Weird, I don't have any of those formatting options at all. Maybe it's the browser.

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@fintail said:
    Weird, I don't have any of those formatting options at all. Maybe it's the browser.

Mark@Edmunds said:

Looks like it's back now.

@Mark@Edmunds said:
    This should now be fixed. Thanks again for reporting it.

Thanks, that's fixed but now the gizmo for posting pictures has disappeared, can we have that back please?

Strange. I still don't have the formatting options - nothing. Not a huge deal for me as I am old school and use manual html without a problem, but I don't see it now either - and I am on a different computer/network/browser than before.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Best guess is that some other bug fixes being worked on crashed the icons. Not sure of the ETA for the fix.

When I first log in and open a discussion, the formatting tools aren't there. I click thru a couple and then it appears. Very weird. Mark thinks it may be browser related. I am using the most recent version of Firefox. You?

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited March 2014

@Karen@Edmunds said:
    When I first log in and open a discussion, the formatting tools aren't there. I click thru a couple and then it appears. Very weird. Mark thinks it may be browser related. I am using the most recent version of Firefox. You?\

I noticed that the handle (dots making a crude arrow) in the lower right corner of the quote box has gone missing in recent days. I cannot grab the handle to pull the quote box down to a reasonable size to enter my text. Playing with the corner of the window sometimes doubles the size of the inital box which is large enough.

I also am missing the diagonal arrows above the box which explode it into a large box in a new window.

I'm using XP SP3 (RIP) and FireFox which I believe is up-to-date.
    I did try it with my alternate browser which is IE8 and the handles were missing. I am aware the IE8 is outdated, but that's the newest MS would bless me with using on my XP.

EDIT: When I use the box for a private message, the dots show for a second and then disappear. When I quote someone in the public forum, I never see the dots.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Thanks for these reports. If you could also please take screenshots of any issues and post them here, that would be very helpful. I'll pass these along to the vendor for the necessary fixes. Thank you.

edited March 2014

.I deleted this post because I used .jpgs and from my Paint Shop Pro that gives blurry images from captures when I upload them here.

But I can't delete the image(s).

Note that there's a double image from attaching a file from my computer. There's one down below where I have my signature line as well as the one below the text box. Weird.

2nd posting with .png instead of .jpg

Thank you, @imidazol97‌

I've reported these issues and will let you know what we hear back from the vendor.

I've edited the title of this topic to encompass reporting issues.

edited April 2014

Today I'm getting a Price Promise page flashing on the screen when I click my FireFox bookmark which is a link to the page for my Bookmarks. I see a header saying Edmunds, then a few empty lines, then Price Promise, then a left-justified column of auto brands alphabetically. I cannot capture this because it lasts maybe half a second then my Bookmarks page shows.

edited April 2014

I'm seeing that too in IE10/Win7 when I click Recent Discussions. My PrtSc button doesn't seem to be working so I haven't been able to capture a screen shot even if I was fast enough.

edited April 2014

It flashed that page at me when it loads other things. Even coming back to this thread to post the picture, I was shown that page for an instant. After about 50 tries and Steve's mentioned PrtSc, I was able to capture it.

I reported the missing helper for posting pix some days ago, it still hasn't been fixed. Why is this site so glitch prone and so slow to fix problems?

Firefox/Win7

edited April 2014

Maybe that's why my button doesn't work on any capture - there's no "n" on the key cap. ;)

The bug has been reported btw. @andys120 , part of the reason is that "fixing" one thing sometimes breaks something else so the fixes have to be tested and sometimes rolled back. The vendor has been making more improvements and doing acting on more requests from us after the initial startup and break-in period. We didn't want to change much at all at first until we learned more about how everything was going to work and fit together. And a lot of the content here gets tied in with the vehicle pages on the rest of the site, so there's lots of behind the scenes stuff to account for when you tweak something.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    Maybe that's why my button doesn't work on any capture - there's no "n" on the key cap. ;)

My letters are in blue on my HP laptop. :lol: I finally got the key up command to capture it before it disappeared.

edited April 2014

Okay, I understand the flashing was an "intended" consequence as part of some testing and should go way later today." Other stuff is still being worked on.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    Okay, I understand the flashing was an "intended" consequence as part of some testing and should go way later today." Other stuff is still being worked on.

Steve, it's not really "intended" but rather is an unfortunate temporary side effect of some testing that the developers are doing, which should make it easier to improve the user experience in the long run.

Just a quick update on the lack of formatting we're seeing as pages load: The test we're running needs a few more hours in order to have enough data. Apologies for the extension. Things should be back to normal by 9 AM Pacific time tomorrow (April 2nd). Thank you.

Thanks Mark, it's nice having the formatting buttons back already.

Test has ended. We apologize for the inconvenience and thanks to all for your understanding!

I still don't have the "helper button for loading a pic!

Firefox/Win7

There are no dots forming an arrow on the lower right corner of the posting boxes for my systems. I can't hook the corner and drag out a window to a size I want to type into.

The diagonal arrows in the upper right corner that open into a new large box in a new window are back.

Okay, those are separate issues we've reported to the vendor. Still waiting for them to fix.

I'm still not seeing the format helper for downloading pix. Day 7 and counting! Disgraceful! Perhaps one of the hosts could post the HTML code for that so we could copy it and post pictures that way.

edited April 2014

Haven't tried Chrome but the helper is there in IE10. But I understand if you don't want to install another browser. Here's a screenshot of the code for this post:

edited April 2014

Hopefully you'll be able to cut and paste this version.

![](url of jpg goes here "")

The "trick" seems to be insuring that there's a space after the jpg and before the ".

Thank you Steve, that works quite well.

edited April 2014

For the formatting tools problem, clear the browser cache. Not just a refresh, but full cache dump.

Still working on the grab bar to expand the text box.

@Karen@Edmunds said:
    For the formatting tools problem, clear the browser cache. Not just a refresh, but full cache dump.

Still working on the grab bar to expand the text box.

Thanks for the tip but how 'bout some help for those,like me, who don't know what a browser cache is or how to clear it?

You shouldn't have to be a techie to post here. B)

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

@andys120 said:

Depends on the browser. It's pretty simple if you google name-of-your-browser and "clear cache." It's a pretty good idea to do every once in awhile regardless of what sites you visit.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

@andys120 said:

You're right. Sorry about that! This has links to instructions for all major browsers.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?hl=en

• nancylongnancylong Member Posts: 6

Yes, software updation is very important for enhancing our car speed as well as the complete favourable environment.i usually prefer chrome for formatting then installing new one.

Just a heads up that the Forums will be moving to a new set of servers on Wednesday, 4/16, starting at 11 PM Eastern. This work is estimated to take one to three hours, during which all Forums content will be unavailable. :(

Apologies for the inconvenience, but the move will help us to maintain good page loading speeds as the Forums grows. :p

We'll make a larger banner announcement as we get closer to the maintenance window.

If you can't get enough of the Forums via computer access, you can now easily access from your mobile device. Open the browser and type in forums.edmunds.com and log in. You can access your bookmarks, create a discussion/question/poll, check notifications and inbox from the tools at the bottom of the window. Let us know what you think and ask questions here!

FYI, I tried clearing the browser cache but that did nothing to get the "helper" for downloading photos back, I am forced to type the html manually which does not always help. Can I please, please have my helper back (why is that the only one missing)?

@andys120 said:
    FYI, I tried clearing the browser cache but that did nothing to get the "helper" for downloading photos back, I am forced to type the html manually which does not always help. Can I please, please have my helper back (why is that the only one missing)?

You're not seeing this?

edited April 2014

@Karen@Edmunds said:
    If you can't get enough of the Forums via computer access, you can now easily access from your mobile device. Open the browser and type in forums.edmunds.com and log in. You can access your bookmarks, create a discussion/question/poll, check notifications and inbox from the tools at the bottom of the window. Let us know what you think and ask questions here!

Speaking of mobile, I'd like to provide an update about ads on the mobile site as well as on the Forums in general...

If you check out the Forums mobile site currently, you'll notice there are no ads showing; however, we are planning to include a small banner ad at the top of all pages on the mobile site -- and also, when contextually relevant, some additional ads at the bottom of each page. Look for these changes to go into effect towards the end of next week.

Related to that, we are planning to test some changes to the way ads are displayed on the desktop version of Forums, as well. Rather than having three relatively random ads across the top of each page, we're planning instead to show one or more ads -- again, when contextually relevant -- between comments. This change, too, should start to show up towards the end of next week, perhaps the following week.

I know that no one really likes to see ads, but we need them in order to pay the bills around here. With these changes, though, we are trying to 1) do a better job of showing ads only when they are relevant and 2) keep ads from getting too much in the way of what most people are trying to do on the Forums. To that end, we are also going to experiment with removing ads for Forums members who are logged in. I can't promise anything, but I do hope that we'll be able to prove with this testing that eliminating ads for our regular, logged-in members is the best way to ensure the overall success of Forums in the long-term.

If you have questions or feedback about any of these changes, please share them here.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,516

ok, now I feel hopeless. I can't figure out how to get a picture to post. and I do have the drop down. I copied/pasted a URL, but can't make it "take"

I seem to be able to grab an image off my computer. But dang, I need some URLs!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,516

well darn. if there is a white wagon, looks like I figured it out. put cursor at end, and hit enter?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited April 2014

@Karen@Edmunds said:
    You're not seeing this?

I am seeing it but it's different from the old helper which used to show a little pic and more important doesn't seem to work properly because if I click "copy image location" and then hit your helper, there's no prompt in my browser for "paste" :'(

Win7/ Firefox

edited April 2014

@andys120 said:

Okay, what you need to do is place your cursor in the "Image Url" spot, right click and select paste, then add a space at the end.

edited April 2014

Don't mind me. Just playing around.

http://youtu.be/vWqdRYUH9QQ