Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Questions regarding 2006 Kia Sportage EX wheel bearings

lindalululindalulu Member Posts: 15
edited April 2014 in Kia

I have a 2006 Kia Sportage EX and was recently told to have my wheel bearings checked. When I call/go around for estimates/pricing, what should I ask? I don't want any unnecessary repairs or parts that I don't need. I'm a female and don't want to be taken advantage of. I would like to be able to ask the right questions and let them think I know something! Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

LL

Best Answer

Answers

• lindalululindalulu Member Posts: 15

Thanks Slinger1!! That's helps out a lot. I was on vacation last week in Longboat Key and my son in law (who lives out of town) used my car to go fishing and noticed the noise. I always knew something wasn't right when I bought the vehicle a year ago last Nov. The dealership put new tires on it (which were the wrong size tires by the way, I found out when I got new tires about 6 weeks ago). My son in law said it sounds like it was coming from the passenger rear. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. I don't have any family close by (all out of state).

So, when I go to get this looked at, from what you were saying, replace the back 2 but it's not necessary to do all four? I don't want them to make me pay for more than I have too. I am going to need a new AC compressor on top it too :neutral_face: .

Thanks again Slinger1

LL

• slinger1slinger1 Member Posts: 28

You're welcome. No need to change the front ones if only the rear ones are bad. How do you know the compressor is also bad?

Thanks Slinger1!

I had my neighbor try to add freon and also Advance Auto Parts store employee checked it and said the compressor runs and then stops, it's not turning?

Hmm, hard to say what's going on without checking it out first hand. Best to have a shop look at it. Are you getting any cooling at all?

Yes, for a few minutes.....but as soon as you sit idle, like at a stop light, it blows out hot air. :(

Ah ha(sic?), same thing happened to a friend of mine with a Honda CR-V. Hers would cool fine while driving around and then turn warm at idle. I replaced both engine cooling fans (they were not operating even when I connected them directly to battery power) and that solved the problem. Some cars when the engine cooling fan behind the radiator doesn't turn on it won't let the compressor turn on as it would make the engine overheat. Maybe you can check under the hood at idle with the A/C on and visually look to see if the fan is turning. If not, there is a problem with the fan circuit or the fan itself and you will have to have a shop look into that. A replacement fan should run about $95 or so and if the engine coolant temperature switch that turns the fan on is bad it would run about $15-20. Either part should take about 0.6 hours to replace.

That would be great if that's all I needed. Now, to find a place that won't rip me off. I don't belong with AAA. Would a small time mechanic (shop) be better, or by word of mouth? I hate to go to a chain, they always try to sell you stuff you don't need necessarily or have to have right away....

You don't have to belong with AAA. Try this link, but it may not work since you are not a member: http://ww1.aaa.com/services/automotive/shopLocator/shopLocatorSearch.xhtml?association=aaa&club=014&dt=1396737899962
    If it doesn't I would be happy to input your zip code and help you find a shop nearby.
    I would trust a shop that a friend of a friend would recommend over just going to a small shop, though they do tend to be better than chains because if they mess up they would feel it more. Try finding those that say they have been in business for a while, or try researching them on the Better Business Bureau site for any complaints, or depending on where you are located the county/city/state consumer resources office.

I clicked the website and it gave me a list of area shops, thank you. Ashamed to say no shops in my town or nearby next door towns offer AAA. I looked at the AAA site and the membership would be a good piece of mind, aka: towing etc if I ever needed it. Not to mention discounts! I will ask around as well. I really appreciate all your time and input on helping me.

I'm confused, you got a list of shops but none of them offer AAA? Do you mean they are not AAA approved? Hope you get the right answers to your problems! You're welcome!

Oh no, I did get a list of AAA approved shops, just not really close to me.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2014

There's also repairpal.com and iatn.net that @thecardoc3 recommends. I tried to use them this past week in a small town though and no recommended shops were near me, so you may run into the same thing. There's always Yelp, but lots of people don't trust their reviews. I did find a good shop for my sister using them though. But take the reviews with healthy doses of salt.

Thank you Stever! I'll check it out.