Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Equinox Transmission Problems

randyh85randyh85 Member Posts: 1
Greetings, My daughter has a 2006 equinox that has about 40,000 miles, few if any problems with the vehicle up to now. Beginning recently, especially when the car is cold, driving up a hill results in the tachometer reaching 3,000 or 4,000 rpm's and the car slowing to about 10 mph. Increasing the engine speed does not increase the speed of the vehicle, it is almost as if the transmission is "slipping". Shifting into L2 helps a little. She says the problem is not always present. The Chevy dealer indicated they have not run across this problem before. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• kerry11kerry11 Member Posts: 12
    Yes I have a 2006 also and just a little over 40k and I have the same problem along with many others. I will be taking mine in to the dealer to leave with them to check out my transmission along with steering and a few other things. I will keep you posted on the transmission issue and let you know what they say...
  • mike06equinoxmike06equinox Member Posts: 1
    Just lik you guys, I have a 2006 Equinox, no problems, warranty expired at 36,000 miles, and at 39,000 I'm getting slippage in first gear. I press on the accelerator, the engine tac increases accordingly, but the car creeps forward from a standstill at one or two mph. L4 doesn't solve it, L2 works. Then the problem goes away for a couple days and returns. Kerry11, did you learn anything from the dealer? I'm taking it into the dealer tomorrow.
  • canuck1319canuck1319 Member Posts: 2
    Anybody found a solution for glare from chrome latch on dashboard storage compartment?
  • bootox514bootox514 Member Posts: 1
    same problem with the transmission slipping now at 90,000 miles the traction control light on my dash lights up and no power to the transmission which i have to put in park and shut off restart and car is fine today i got word that i have to change the tcc solenoid in the transmission it is malfunctioning and the root of all my problems
  • charliemaccharliemac Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2010 Equinox LTZ AWD 6 cyl and noticed a pronounced engine down surge every time I accelerate. If I am cruising at say 35 mph and then need to get to 55, as I press the accelerator the car will dip in front and bog down for a few seconds. It will then rev high and accelerate. Same situation if I am cornering and lift off the accelerator and then resume power after the turn; it bogs down for a few seconds. Anyone experience this?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I would recommend taking the vehicle to the dealership to have the issue diagnosed. That way you know for certain what the problem is. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    No offense but this forum is supposed to help owners/consumers with data and insight so we know a little BEFORE we go to the dealer. Not sure why GM would monitor this and offer the obvious.
  • colt_herocolt_hero Member Posts: 107
    Hello,
    I am Colt Hero from this forum. I would recommend taking the vehicle to the dealership to have the issue diagnosed. That way you know for certain that you need a new transmission. Thank you,

Colt Hero (from this forum)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2010
    If y'all don't want to take GM's advice that's fine. But I think it's good that a rep is participating. Not many manufacturer's reps hang out on the forums.

What else would you suggest? Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes so the computer relearns the shift points? Go to AutoZone and see if any codes are stored? Run a tank of premium?
    If you review the other topics in this forum, you'll notice the exact same post from the "rep" directing everyone to the dealership. It's a sales scam to get customers in the door. This forum is supposed to offer insight and possible solutions or at least allow consumers to share experiences and pain. If you are a GM shill, congratulations, you got us. Otherwise, you should also be suspect of a "rep" who "participates" by directing us to the dealer (with a cut and paste no less!). Give me a break.
    Well, I was just having a little fun because the input was silly. Anyone who's bought a new vehicle that is still under warranty is going to take it to the dealership for service whenever something is wrong with it. I think that goes without saying.

A legitimate GM customer service person (and we don't know if this person is legitimate or not) COULD be helpful for things like TSB numbers, resolving issues with dealerships, or other "light-lifting".
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    AutoZone sells a lot of parts when people go there to get their codes read for free.

Maybe GM will figure out that offering a free diagnosis will help keep people at the shop for the work to be done.

And yes, the GM rep here is legit. :shades:
    Hello Charlie,

I am sorry but I am not able to diagnose vehicle problems for anyone on this forum. As far as being a scam to get money for the dealership, that is not my intention. My main priority is to make sure your vehicle gets fixed so that your experience with your vehicle is a better one. I understand that the forum is here for people to share experiences and look for advice. I am from GM and here to assist customers with questions they may have regarding features or options on their vehicle, offer insight to customers regarding recall information, help with any current or previous model year product inquiries, direct a customer to a department that can assist if I am unable to and I am also able to have another rep look at certain situations if they are outside my resources. If you have any more questions feel free to send me a direct message, and I can provide you with my direct contact information. Thank you,
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    Mariah, I'm glad you are here.

Thanks,
    Thank you very much! :)
  • back2frontback2front Member Posts: 42
    I'm also glad your here, IMHO it shows my car company wants to interact with it's customers. This Nox is the first Chevy I have bought in 56 yrs and I'm not disappointed thus far.......
    Thank you for the compliment. I am glad that you are enjoying your Equinox! : )
  • kerry11kerry11 Member Posts: 12
    So i filed the lemon law on my 06 and the BBB said since my 36k warranty is out 6months ago I do not qualify, but can get an attorney to processes for me..... I will be going to the dealer where I purchased my car to talk to the CEO if he or she will not help me I have contacted the Media and News papers!! I am a single mom and bought this New car so I would have a safe and reliable car, this has been a night mare car! it has been in and out of the shop more than 30 days, power steering,struts,brakes(4) times,overflow tank,starter,bearings,anti lock breaks,visors (3) times replaced, driver window broke twice wiring, and I am sure I have left stuff out so please wish me luck because when my extended warranty runs out I am pretty much screwed (excuse me) but it is the truth then what will I do? the car is not even paid off and I have all these issues, oh and now there is something wrong with my steering! the left front!!!!!!
    After servicing all of my cars myself for 25+ years, I've come to the conclusion that lemons really do not exist in the way that most people think they do. Manufacturers do not create lemons, dealerships do - through their incompetence and crookedness. Manufacturers like (old) GM DO make major manufacturing mistakes - but they are typically isolated to the failure of a particular part. When I hear stories like yours, however, with part after part being replaced, I believe the problem lies with the dealership and the quality of the people working there. I'd like to see companies like GM and Ford eliminate dealerships all together and open their own corporate sales and service centers. This way, they'd have more control over the product from assembly line to customer ownership and they wouldn't have to deal with middleman dealerships ruining their reputation.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    You are so absolutely right!
    I got to 2 different dealers in my home town, one that's near and the other a bit far but mechanics work on saturdays. Every time I went to the nearest one...crap, something else broke in the same month that they touched my Equinox (and I'm not the only one), is this a dealer's racket? But at the one further from my place....nice, good, clean dependable work and the problem is always fixed once and for all.
    For dealing on a good price when buying a car, the nearest one is always the one doing the best deals, but I think they "catch up" with their "bad service".
    So it's their way to make the dollars that they lost by giving people good deals on their cars.
    I stopped going to mechanics 25+ years ago after an indicent of blatant fraud by an independent transmission shop. After that experience, I decided to do my own work and learn as I went along. 25+ years later, I've never had a vehicle go to a mechanic, and I've never had any major repair bills with any of my cars (except my '02 Impala's failed intake gaskets ... a $1300 dealer repair I did myself for $400, including far more detailed work than the dealer would've done). It's all been routine maintenance. I can't tell you how many horror stories I've heard over the years from friends and co-workers who have had multiple $400, $600, and $800 repair bills replacing just about every part under the hood while my cars are still pretty much original parts for at least the first 125,000 miles or more.

Manufacturers need to take over the distribution and servicing of their own vehicles. Their vehicles aren't perfect, but they're a LOT better than what the dealerships service records would have you believe...
  • ksliv5ksliv5 Member Posts: 5
    Hello, we have a 2006 Equinox. We purchased it used in 2007 and have had several problems with it. The engine light would come off and on for about 2 years. It probably stayed on so much that the light prob blew. We took it to the Chevy lot to get it looked at, then they want 100.00 to run it through the computer, which is a big ripoff. Well now, the engine is slipping. Just yesterday, I go to get on the interstate and can't get it to go over 15 miles per hour. I had to let off the gas, wait a second for the transmission to kick in, then accerate. And yesterday while waiting at a stoplight, with my foot on the brake for several seconds, the Equinox jumped, kinda like it was just then going back down in gear, again this was several seconds with my foot on the brake. After reading all of the other posts on the Equinox's something is going to have to be done by GM. This is a big lawsuit waiting to happen, since this many people are complaining about this same problem. This is my first Chevrolet, and I think I'm ready to go back to Ford. I guess we will go and see what happens, when we take it in Thursday to get it looked at and spend a $100.00 to be told that it could one of 3 things. :(
    Hello Ksliv5,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Can you please let me know how it goes at the dealership? Thank you,
    Mariah,
    Thanks for showing your concern on behalf of GM.
    My husband just got done at the dealership and needless to say it did not go well. The mechanic is not able to look at it until next Thursday and he said that it will take a few days to take the transmission apart to even find out what the problem is. I called myself and spoke to the rude man. When I asked about getting an estimate for them to even find out what it is wrong with it, he said he couldn't give that to me and there was no one else there that could either. I understand that he can't give me a price down to the penny. (Is it going to cost under/over $500.00?) I'm not asking for an estimate to fix it yet (as noone knows what is really wrong with it), I just want to know how much its going to cost just to look at it. And why next Thursday?? This should be something they look at now or atleast tomorrow. The other day I went to pull into traffic and it wouldn't go into gear. Kinda scary when your stalled in traffic. His excuse was that he was going to be on vacation, but what about another mechanic? The Equinox only has 49,000 miles on it. IMO it shouldnt even be having transmission problems. Theres no hitch on it, so its not like were pulling around boats and campers around. We still owe $11,300 on this and I expressed my concern of price to the mechanic and he came back with, well we can try and ask GM to help pay??? Its sounds to me this is a common problem if he is already telling us that. And to beat it all off, (b/c its off warranty) I will be without a car for (he said) atleast 2 days. I count four, b/c if you drop it off Thursday, you can count on not getting it back until Monday. I have a job and kids, what am I supposed to do? I know thats the dealerships responsibility, not GM's, but I'm disgusted. I really love my Equinox. I remember when they first came out in 2005 and was so happy when my husband agreed to trade in our Ford Explorer for one. We couldn't afford a brand new one, but got this one used with 9,000 miles on it.
    As I write this my husband is now getting a second opinion at a different dealership.
    Well we took it to a Transmission Shop and sure enough its shot... Prices start at $1595.00 up to $3000.00. Not sure what to do right now. Do I wait until Thursday and take it back to the Chevy Lot to see if GM can help out or do I get it taken care of at Aamco??
    Well we have talked to the Chevy Lot and I think they are going to be able to help us out and make sure it gets fixed. I would rather have them work on it anyway, than a "transmission shop", since it is a Chevrolet Vehicle.

I think we will be satisfied. :):)
    Hello Ksliv5,
    I would recommend the Chevy dealership to work on the vehicle. I hope the repair goes well. Please let me know how it goes. Thank you,
  • amk2012amk2012 Member Posts: 1
    I wonder if your traction light also comes on with the check engine light? I am having the same problems with my 2006 Equinox. It started a year ago, cruising on I-75. It all of a sudden just lost it's speed and I found it worked again after a restart. It happened more and more, and I've thrown all kinds of expensive parts at it with no help. Seems electrical because when it's wet out it constantly will lose 1st and 2nd gears all together which makes it hard to move at a stop light. Until it it shut off and restarted, but it can make driving it a nightmare. Dealership started right out with we'll have to tear the transmission down to find it. I am on disability so that's out of the question financially. I have a mechanic that can fix the problem, once I really know exactly what is causing this to happen. I take great care of this car, it's my very first new car I ever owned. But I am very frustrated with it at this point. Let me know what you found out if anything. :cry:
  • cycledancycledan Member Posts: 1
    Similar problem to the one above. 2010 Equinox, 4 cyclinder, 2.5l, AWD. Car was slow going from R to D. Then it started bucking when engaging in gear and finally slipping when starting from a stop. For anyone out there who has this problem, what you can do to drive the car until it is fixed is use the manual mode. It didn't slip at all when manually shifting (use the button on side of shift lever when set to M). However it did shift hard into gears 1 and 2. For higher gears it was fine either in manual or automatic mode. Luckily the car is still under warranty and I have a loaner from the dealer now. I am 45 and this is the first time in my life that I ever had a transmission problem on a car that my wife and I own. I wonder what the statistics are on this problem. Nice thing is to know that I am not the only one.
  • justsum1justsum1 Member Posts: 3
    i had my transmission rebuilt at 19,000 miles.mine would be stuck in first gear till the rpms went up to like 5000 then it would skip second gear and get stuck in third in the shop for a week and a half.hopefully it lasts.just wanted to share this if anyone else is having same issues.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    justsum1,
    I'm sorry that your new Equinox has already had to have a transmission rebuild at this point; hopefully it has resolved any concerns you had had for a long, long time. If we can ever be of further assistance, let us know!
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • bates072bates072 Member Posts: 1
    How much to get it repair
  • justsum1justsum1 Member Posts: 3
    It was under warranty
  • plankton22plankton22 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Equinox used in March of 2011 w/ 26k miles on it. I had absolutely no problems w/ it until May 2012. All of a sudden, it wouldn't shift into R, the gears wouldn't catch in drive, the engine would rev to 5000 rpm's +. I took to get fixed, the repaired the engine, replaced the tranny and $3799 and 2 FULL MONTHS later, I had it back. It was covered under the 100k mile warranty, but still. A 2010 should not blow a tranny in 2 years! Also, it took 2 months for the dealership to do the work. I had a rental, but was making car payments on a car I did not have. I drove it the past week and a half and guess what? It's been stalling when coming to a stop, it bucks when I slow down and the service light just came on. I took it back to the same dealer and told them I wanted it fixed, right this time... I got another rental, but the inconvenience of not having a car I'm paying for is ridiculous!
    I asked the dealer if they have problems w/ the Equinox and he said every time they get 3 out, 5 more come in. It's ridiculous. As soon as this gets fixed, I'm trading it in...
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    plankton22,
    We're truly very sorry to read about transmission concerns you've had with your Equinox. Has everything gone well with the dealership (aside from the repeat visit)? If you would like for us to look into this further, please contact us at [email protected] with the following information so we can get a Service Request going: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • marketingvirgomarketingvirgo Member Posts: 2
    I ordered my Equinox in May of 2010, the car has 55k on it now, and has had 3 major repairs including a major drive train repair. The car would have a deep drone sound when moving through lower gears, and the transmission was found to be faulty, and it was recalled. It took a week for the repairs, but then when fixed they put the oil pan on incorrectly and I was loosing oil and had to take it back within two days. They fixed an incorrectly placed bolt, and then it seemed OK for 6 months.
    I had another issue when the engine light came on. I called OnStar and they ran a diagnosis that determined it was the upper fuel pump, so that was recently replaced, this time from another dealer.
    Now the low drone sound is back again when shifting up and down in those lower speeds. I am concerned as I am a woman and work about 60 hours a week, so I do not have a ton of time, yet I am worried about the longevity of this vehicle. I had OnStar run the diagnostic and nothing came up.
    Has anyone had this low drone sound on their Equinox? It is a 4 cyle AWD.
    marketingvirgo,

We're sorry to hear that you have encountered these different concerns with your Equinox. Have you already contacted customer assistance regarding your situation? If we can look into anything for you, please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • jacetheacejacetheace Member Posts: 1
    Hey Sarah, can yuo help with GM Canada? I"ve been having these problems and the GM dealership in sarnia just takes my cash and tells me sorry no idea. I'm at $1000 and no further beyond this.
  • hoffmanmomhoffmanmom Member Posts: 1
    I was driving home from a long trip with my 2010 Equinox with 65K. I was going up a grade when all of a sudden the transmission slipped into a really low gear and the RPM's went to 5000 before shifting into N and then back into 5th. I dropped it into M5 and it was OK in M5 and M4. When getting off of the freeway to get gas the car would not go into 1st or 2nd and I coasted into the gas station in 3rd. Before I could get to a pump the car wouldn't go at all in ANY gear, not even R or Manual. After turning the car off and then on again, it would go for a minute before slipping again. I coasted into the dealership by turning the car on and off again to get it in 1st gear. They are looking at it now. I sure hope it's covered under the 100K powertrain!!
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hoffmanmom:

I understand your concern, and I can only imagine the stress that you are under with regards to this vehicle. ---- In 2010 I almost purchased a Equinox. It did not offer a power front seat on the passenger side, so I purchased a 2010 LTZ four cylinder Malibu.----- The Malibu four cylinder engine IS NOT A DIRECT INJECTION ENGINE, and there in lies the problem. ---- The Equinox has a direct fuel injection engine, and is has a problem fuel pump that causes fuel to enter the engine oil which destroys the engine. ---- This then causes operational problems with the vehicle. I could have been an owner of the Equinox if GM had offered a power seat on the driver's side. ---- What concerns me is that GM is not taking a pro-active approach to dealing with this problem. They should be on this issue 24 / 7 / 365! ----- While I am VERY happy with the quality of my four cylinder Malibu, I am going to think REAL HARD before I purchase another Chevrolet. ---- As a customer, I DO NOT like to be ignored when a problem arises. I expect professional service both from the manufacturer and the dealer. ---- All the public relations skills are worthless if there is no "follow up service" by the dealer network. ----- I have been following this issue, and I think both the manufacturer and the dealers have dropped the ball BIG TIME! ---- I am going to remember this experience when it comes time to purchase my next vehicle. ----The choice of vehicles is very extensive to be stuck with a problem! ----- All the best! ---- Dwayne
  • marketingvirgomarketingvirgo Member Posts: 2
    Guess what, the issue with the drive train is back AGAIN - for the fourth time. This time they said the tensioner needs to be replaced (thought I had that done twice before) and a new upper fuel pump (had that done once before as well.) I am burning oil and was down two quarts, but the Onstar diagnostics did not pick that up.
    OK, I tried, but I really am starting not to feel safe in this car and want something more dependable.
  • bigkritterbigkritter Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2014

@canuck1319 said:
    Anybody found a solution for glare from chrome latch on dashboard storage compartment?

glad u asked yes get some tint strip for windshield

@charliemac said:
    I have a 2010 Equinox LTZ AWD 6 cyl and noticed a pronounced engine down surge every time I accelerate. If I am cruising at say 35 mph and then need to get to 55, as I press the accelerator the car will dip iyes all hn front and bog down for a few seconds. It will then rev high and accelerate. Same situation if I am cornering and lift off the accelerator and then resume power after the turn; it bogs down for a few seconds. Anyone experience this?

yes all of the time and this is what they tell me your goping to love this one.
    I was told i was confussing the computer by pressing on gas pedal letting up the pressing again also it could be that my transmisson still has not learded how i drive oh ya one more these 4 cylenders are not made to do that I might be a women but i will not be a lady when i go this next time

@kerry11 said:
    So i filed the lemon law on my 06 and the BBB said since my 36k warranty is out 6months ago I do not qualify, but can get an attorney to processes for me..... I will be going to the dealer where I purchased my car to talk to the CEO if he or she will not help me I have contacted the Media and News papers!! I am a single mom and bought this New car so I would have a safe and reliable car, this has been a night mare car! it has been in and out of the shop more than 30 days, power steering,struts,brakes(4) times,overflow tank,starter,bearings,anti lock breaks,visors (3) times replaced, driver window broke twice wiring, and I am sure I have left stuff out so please wish me luck because when my extended warranty runs out I am pretty much screwed (excuse me) but it is the truth then what will I do? the car is not even paid off and I have all these issues, oh and now there is something wrong with my steering! the left front!!!!!!

if you take it into the dealers when you have problems while warrenty is good note the problem even if warrenty runs out they will fix it as long as it noted

@ksliv5 said:
    Hello, we have a 2006 Equinox. We purchased it used in 2007 and have had several problems with it. The engine light would come off and on for about 2 years. It probably stayed on so much that the light prob blew. We took it to the Chevy lot to get it looked at, then they want 100.00 to run it through the computer, which is a big ripoff. Well now, the engine is slipping. Just yesterday, I go to get on the interstate and can't get it to go over 15 miles per hour. I had to let off the gas, wait a second for the transmission to kick in, then accerate. And yesterday while waiting at a stoplight, with my foot on the brake for several seconds, the Equinox jumped, kinda like it was just then going back down in gear, again this was several seconds with my foot on the brake. After reading all of the other posts on the Equinox's something is going to have to be done by GM. This is a big lawsuit waiting to happen, since this many people are complaining about this same problem. This is my first Chevrolet, and I think I'm ready to go back to Ford. I guess we will go and see what happens, when we take it in Thursday to get it looked at and spend a $100.00 to be told that it could one of 3 things. :(

I would like to know how many equinox owners live around Sacramento,CA

@djm2 said:
    Hoffmanmom:

I understand your concern, and I can only imagine the stress that you are under with regards to this vehicle. ---- In 2010 I almost purchased a Equinox. It did not offer a power front seat on the passenger side, so I purchased a 2010 LTZ four cylinder Malibu.----- The Malibu four cylinder engine IS NOT A DIRECT INJECTION ENGINE, and there in lies the problem. ---- The Equinox has a direct fuel injection engine, and is has a problem fuel pump that causes fuel to enter the engine oil which destroys the engine. ---- This then causes operational problems with the vehicle. I could have been an owner of the Equinox if GM had offered a power seat on the driver's side. ---- What concerns me is that GM is not taking a pro-active approach to dealing with this problem. They should be on this issue 24 / 7 / 365! ----- While I am VERY happy with the quality of my four cylinder Malibu, I am going to think REAL HARD before I purchase another Chevrolet. ---- As a customer, I DO NOT like to be ignored when a problem arises. I expect professional service both from the manufacturer and the dealer. ---- All the public relations skills are worthless if there is no "follow up service" by the dealer network. ----- I have been following this issue, and I think both the manufacturer and the dealers have dropped the ball BIG TIME! ---- I am going to remember this experience when it comes time to purchase my next vehicle. ----The choice of vehicles is very extensive to be stuck with a problem! ----- All the best! ---- Dwayne

well said dwayne i am headin to battle with my dealer on monday with lots of amo and if i am not happy with the out come i have made signs to pickit out front and have lots of bodies to do so too