Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS Engine Problems

191011121315»

Comments

• rriddlerriddle Member Posts: 7

Has anyone else had a problem with the 2011 CTS completely shutting off on them like the recent problems with the Cobalt? I have and posted this in March 2012 here on this site. I had the CTS in with two Cadillac dealerships (Ken Dixon Cadillac (now Waldorf Cadillac and Capitol Cadillac) and neither could replicate the problem and the computer showed no errors. The car has shut off completely on me twice pulling into traffic...how I haven't been injured or killed is beyond me. Both dealerships have just handed the car back to me saying they can't replicate the problem. GM Customer Service (via live chat) told me the same thing....if we can't replicate it we can't fix it. How many Cobalt owners did they tell that to before enough deaths caused them to investigate? Because the "premium parts" on my CTS are not on the recall list you won't look into it? I would love to have a reply from the GM Customer Service Reps that monitor this site.

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

Hello rriddle,

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing these concerns with your 2011 Cadillac CTS. Although we may not be able to provide any technical advice, we'd be happy to document your concerns or reach out to your dealership. If you'd like our assistance please send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com with your VIN. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Andraya R.
    GM Customer Care

• rriddlerriddle Member Posts: 7
    gmcustsvc.....so the "fix" to all these deaths from a faulty ignition switch is to give us cadillac CTS owners a smaller ring on the keychain between the key and the fob? One added ring will now save my life? That is the recall answer?
  • tish0266tish0266 Member Posts: 1
    The problem with the oil is the same with the problem many people are experiencing with the "clunking noise" when shifting. It's crap seals. If Cadillac/GM would just replace the garbage seals it would solve the problem and stop their customers from wanting to abandon their Cadillac on the side of the road in a blaze of glory. I was so excited to get my little red CTS, but now I can't wait to trade it in. Unfortunately, I paid more than $1,000 for this POS, so I'm stuck with it for a while.  
  • unhappy_tomunhappy_tom Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2015
    Very disappointed. I purchased an 07 CTS 2.8L in 2013. Only had 90,000 kms on so I thought low K's for a 6 year old car. 1 week after driving I hear a clunk in the front end every time I go over small bump or even a crack in the road. Fought with dealer to have it fixed under warranty. Fought all day to finally have them say they thought the front struts were shot. Kept car overnight, replaced both front struts and clunking sound was gone. Then key fob stopped working 2 months after purchase, not under warranty, replacement $200.00. 6 mths after purchase awful screeching, turns out to be timing belt or chain. Reason, car is down 3 liters of oil. Back to dealer. Service guy says oh yeah these cars are famous for "eating oil". It's not leaking. It's just gone. I have had to add a liter of oil roughly every 1500 km for the past year, because the other solution offered was rebuild or replace engine. 24 months after purchase, catalytic converter done. $1500.00 1 week later transmission starts acting up but before I have a chance to bring to my mechanic tomorrow the car overheats and loses all power on the QEW highway. It is now sitting at Canadian Tire awaiting a service tech to tell me whats wrong this time. Hunk of junk. 4th GM vehicle in 12 years. First 3 were decent to great. The cadillac is the WORST car I've ever owned, would never recommend. Oh and the $200.00 key fob lasted 6 months and stopped working. Dealer accused me of dropping it in water. Said sorry, no warranty. What a [non-permissible content removed] move!!
  • indio7777indio7777 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2015
    Very disappointed. I purchased an 07 CTS 2.8L in 2013. Only had 90,000 kms on so I thought low K's for a 6 year old car. 1 week after driving I hear a clunk in the front end every time I go over small bump or even a crack in the road. Fought with dealer to have it fixed under warranty. Fought all day to finally have them say they thought the front struts were shot. Kept car overnight, replaced both front struts and clunking sound was gone. Then key fob stopped working 2 months after purchase, not under warranty, replacement $200.00. 6 mths after purchase awful screeching, turns out to be timing belt or chain. Reason, car is down 3 liters of oil. Back to dealer. Service guy says oh yeah these cars are famous for "eating oil". It's not leaking. It's just gone. I have had to add a liter of oil roughly every 1500 km for the past year, because the other solution offered was rebuild or replace engine. 24 months after purchase, catalytic converter done. $1500.00 1 week later transmission starts acting up but before I have a chance to bring to my mechanic tomorrow the car overheats and loses all power on the QEW highway. It is now sitting at Canadian Tire awaiting a service tech to tell me whats wrong this time. Hunk of junk. 4th GM vehicle in 12 years. First 3 were decent to great. The cadillac is the WORST car I've ever owned, would never recommend. Oh and the $200.00 key fob lasted 6 months and stopped working. Dealer accused me of dropping it in water. Said sorry, no warranty. What a [non-permissible content removed] move!!

Sorry for your troubles...I traded in a new 2015 mustang convertible with 5k miles because it had a vibration Ford couldn't fix...Ford was horrible to deal with.  Instead of dealing with the lemon law I traded it in on a 2012 cts4 coupe.  Loved it..immaculate.  However I checked the oil after a month and it was down a quart...filled it and then it was down 2 quarts about 2 weeks later.  Barely 4 years old with 60k miles...And the car was giving me the sweats.  I rolled negative equity to get away from the Ford, into an even worse cadillac.  I've always driven nice Toyotas...never any problems even at 156k on my Solara convertible.  As soon as I saw the huge loss in a short period of time, went to Nissan and got out of the negative equity on a 3 year lease...

I will never consider any American cars again....especially Ford or Cadillac.  Bye bye!

• techdocwritertechdocwriter Member Posts: 1
    Our 2008 CTS has just turned 50,000 miles. It will use 1qt every 1000 miles. The oil is changed long before the oil life monitor tells one to. This is my second CTS and my last. I am tired of being told by service writers that this is normal. GM has a problem and is hiding from it.
  • victious4808victious4808 Member Posts: 1
    Well first time commenting, but def long over due. After reading some of the comments regarding the caddy CTS I'm disappointed that my dream car would give so many issues.. I knew when they first came out with the new model in 2008 I wanted one. Bought a 2008 Cadillac CTS from dealer. Brand new I was the first owner. After owning the car for 2 weeks the gas pump blew out on me while I was driving on the freeway. Luckily warranty covered that mishap. The car came with a 5 yr or 100k miles warranty. That was the only major issue I had with the car until now. Granted the car is 8 years old now and with over 160k miles now. Always kept up with oil changes and may have flushed the funds once and changes the cabin and air filter once. Also changed the sensors for the tires. I know I am long over due for maintenance.. I received a letter a while back stating there was a recall , but didn't get the car to a mechanic fast enough to take advantage of GM paying for the recall work. Maybe they will still work with me. Now is when all the problems are starting to accumulate. The check engine light has been on for the last 30-40k miles. Car still runs great other than not passing smog legally and the auto start doesn't work. Not a big deal. When the lights first came on the dealership charged me to diagnose the issue and wanted to pay more money than I had available at the time to fix the issue. Later I brought the car to a mechanic and he gave a me another reason why the check engine light is on. I don't know which one is right the mechanic at a mom and pop repair shop or the dealership. Now at 160k miles I have a variety of displays and lights glowing informing me to take the car to get fixed. The tire sensors are all done and need to be replaced, the stabilitrak sensor needs to be replaced, a traction control sensor is also on, occasionally the air bag sensor comes on, I definitely need new brakes and to top it off a engine too hot/ turned off ac display just emerged today. Which caused the temp gauge to not work and fan is constantly running now. FML.. I'm not a car repair person so not too car savvy. Oh yea lastly there may be something going on with the timing belt or transmission(I'm not sure since I'm not a car guy), but this is what is happening, the car is having trouble accelerating, the car will start shaking, make a clunking sound coming from the engine and doesn't want to shift gears. I have to coax the car now when I drive and slowly pick up speed. When climbing a hill on the freeway I feel sorry for the cars behind me because I'm driving up the hill like a old lady. Definitely doesn't have the same power as it did when I first got the car, but I do still love it. I'm going to take the car into the dealership soon to see what the damage is. Sorry to say that if the repairs are too expensive may be time to get a new car. The new caddy Does look  nice.. The electronics are fancy but just add more headache to the car and aren't these cars suppose to LAST without costing a arm and a leg. Before the caddy I had 1994 Honda Accord that I drove well over 350k miles and I know the car would have kept going but the caddy took my attention.