Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chevy Equinox headlamp condensation ... normal or not?

idrewu2meidrewu2me Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
I am looking at purchasing a 2008 Equinox. I noted moisture buildup on the inside of the headlamp lens. When asked about it the dealer rep said it was normal and of no concern, adding if I wanted he could have a mechanic "blow it out". Is there anyone out there that can confirm or deny what the dealer is telling me?

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's not normal.

If it was normal all the other Equinoxes (or any other car for that matter) would have damp lens.

Find another dealer, or at least another salesperson.
  • idrewu2meidrewu2me Member Posts: 2
    steve,
    should the effected lenses be replaced under the bumper to bumper warranty since this is a chevy certified preowned vehicle which carries a 12 month 12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I would think so - that's not a wear and tear issue. Unless the dealer says the lens are cracked from road gravel, but that shouldn't be an issue here since you haven't purchased the car yet.

I suppose it's possible that the dealer went through a car wash or pressure washed the 'Nox and got some moisture in the headlamps. If so, it's possible that blowing out the excess could cause it to clear up in a week.

Some dealers will try to reseal the grommets or may even toss desiccant packs in with the bulbs. Or they'll find a crack and put some silicone on it. Or they'll try adding more air vents (most designs have 2 or 3 vents to lower the humidity level inside the headlamp assembly).

If the condensation is constant, my guess is that it either has a bad seal somewhere (like the grommet around the bulb access) or cracks in the lens.

Best permanent fix is new headlamp assemblies I think.
  • bluehiequinosbluehiequinos Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 sport equinox with a left front headlamp with condensation.This headlamp is not cracked, don't know how come it's that way,it is not normal.
  • rockmobilerockmobile Member Posts: 115
    edited September 2010
    With time and patience you can fix it yourself. In my case (Quest minivan) I found out that water was getting in through the seam that connects the lens to the back side of the assembly.

The solution was to take out the headlamp assembly from the car, blow all the water out and let it dry, and then applying silicon sealant to the length of the seam. That was my case, your mileage may vary.
  • dean53dean53 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased an 07 Equinox this past January. A week after I got it I noticed condensation in the passenger head light assembly. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced it with a new one under warranty. They were not sure if the seam was cracked or the grommets were leaking. It is not normal. Depending on your warranty, it may be covered. :)
  • catereriicatererii Member Posts: 3

I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox that stayed in the service dept for years with blown bulbs due to condensation. Finally warranty said no more to replacing light housing. So Chevy's remedy was to drill a tiny hole at the bottom, allowing the condensation to evaporate. STILL dealing with condensation, but not as much!!!

• trish6216trish6216 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Chevy Equinox and condensation in the left headlight started a few years ago. I brought it to the dealer and they said that it was normal. I was so angry because I knew this was not normal otherwise the other side would be doing it too. Well fast forward 3 years and now the right side has condensation even worse than the left side. It is actually starting to destroy the chrome inside the light fixture. My husband recently changed the light bulb and dried the headlight out. The next day condensation. He said it is a terrible design flaw. I guess we will have to take it in to our own hands to fix using silicone to seal it up. I can't believe there is no recall on this problem imo it is a safety hazard to have your headlights obstructed with condensation!