Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Starting issue.

logangmlogangm Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Jeep
Okay, I've had a really odd problem with 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Starting. I bought it 3 years ago and had issues with it starting ever since. It started as once every couple of months and it'd click once. let it sit, a few minutes then it'd start up fine with no issue for months maybe even a year. The last week it's been an issue starting all the time. The first thing that happened was the driving home the radio, wipers, blinkers all stopped functioning. I pulled over and turned the car to ACC and the radio powered back on and wipers continued working again. I restarted the car and and again nothing from radio, wipers, windows, or blinkers. Drove home pulled the key out and everything continued functioning like the car was on. When it stopped down pouring I went back outside to take a look and see if it was working correctly. the battery had completely drained. I jumped it and got the quick click click click click but no start. Jiggled some wires, tapped on the starter, and it started no problem, turned off started again no problem. I replaced the ignition switch because it was a cheap fix that seemed to be able to cause this, particularly the electronics only working in ACC and not on RUN. drove around to recharge battery. Next day turned the key and one click. tried jumping it again and wouldnt jump right away but did after about 20 minutes. drove around for an hour to make sure if it was charging it would be. Tried restarting and click. jumped it and click. waited 30 seconds and then it started no problem. turned off and then on 3-4 times. Pulled the cables off and then started it 3-4 more times with no issues.

I'm just trying to figure out what could cause these symptoms. Also, I had a third party remote start system installed about 2.5 years ago I didn't know if some issue with the starting system wires being crossed or the like could do this. I figure its got to be one of the following but it seems like one of the symptoms would rule each these out

Starter
Solonoid
Remote Start
Wiring Harness
Battery

Any Other Ideas? any advice to rule these out?

Comments

• tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    change the battery first
  • banana5banana5 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem. I replaced battery. After several on and off click-click sessions. I wiggled wire and started. Now even if wiggle wire - no start. (AC fan is on when I turn on the switch even tho AC is off - that is really confusing). KINDA TIRED OF IT!!
  • tbaillargeontbaillargeon Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with my jeep starting and not starting. I hate to bring it in because it doesn't do it all the time! So frustrating!!
  • lesliepearllesliepearl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 jeep cherokee limited and I know if the battery is dead when I jump it I have to put my key in driver door lock and unlock to make security go (flashing lights) off. That is no longer working. When I take fuses out and makes the security go off, but I still cannot start my jeep. I welcome any ideas!

I give up!
  • tmg05jgctmg05jgc Member Posts: 1
    Hey sorry for the delay guys- The electrical connectors on the starter start to corrode- get under your car and remove those connectors from the starter, clean them up, wirebrush or sandpaper work well here. I coated mine in electrical grease and i havent had a problem since- its been about two years.

Good luck!
  • jboland921jboland921 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I have an 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 w/the same issue. With that being said, I have replaced the battery, replaced the starter (within the last 2 weeks & terminals are good & clean) even swapped the starter & A/C relay. This morning my wife goes to leave for work & the click click click. Now the click that everyone is hearing is NOT the starter Solenoid like a typical bad solenoid would make, the clicking is actually the relay opening & closing. I have checked for TSB's & nothing. Now here is what I can say, I DO NOT believe that it is an ignition switch problem & here is why, if it were, no power would be going to the relay, on top of that I also have an aftermarket starter & it will not start w/that either. What I am wondering is if everyone that has this problem has an aftermarket starter installed? Is it an aftermarket starter issue? I have also read that some have noticed that the issue presents itself in less than desirable weather conditions, this I have noticed on my own. Any help is greatly appreciated
  • scottmckeescottmckee Member Posts: 1

I have an '05 5.7L with a starting issue also. Sometimes it will just lightly click with nothing else and then it starts fine. No other weird symptoms like some have described. I have a new battery. Has anyone found any answers?

• ryno2020ryno2020 Member Posts: 2
    tmg05jgc said:

Hey sorry for the delay guys- The electrical connectors on the starter start to corrode- get under your car and remove those connectors from the starter, clean them up, wirebrush or sandpaper work well here. I coated mine in electrical grease and i havent had a problem since- its been about two years.

Good luck!

Spot on