Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Excursion Maintenance and Repair

15678911»

Comments

• figure11figure11 Member Posts: 2
    I have a creaking noise coming from the forward cab area. I have been told that this may be a body mount issue. Could this also be responsible for the clunking I hear on rough road. I have replaced leafs, upper and low ball joints, outer axle shafts and hubs. Not much left but the trac bar bushing (the clunk?), drag link (which mechanic thought was fine) and or the body mount creak. Need some insight here...

Peter
  • figure11figure11 Member Posts: 2
    How big a job is replacing the body mounts? Should a body shop be used for this?
  • yankabillyyankabilly Member Posts: 43
    Body mounts easy to replace a lot of it is from water getting in between the rubber and washer. The pain in the butt is taken up the carpet to get to them. Need a floor jack and wooden blocks loosen the two front ones and replace the then do the two rear ones make sure to put block in between frame & body for safety you should not have to disk conect any thing only pick up about an inch good luck
  • bravo12bravo12 Member Posts: 1

Someone made off with all the wiring under the hood of our 2000 Excursion. Finding it impossible to find replacement harnesses for AC. ANY HELP??

• walt501walt501 Member Posts: 18

Hello Bravo12, I would use one of the major Ford Parts distributors in your area for assistance. Or you could use my supplier for many of my Ford parts -

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

You can do the search yourself for the wiring harness, or just give them a call and tell them what you need. I'm sure they'll be able to help you locate what you need.

• masterdraganmasterdragan Member Posts: 1
    My history of a great vehicle so far. Bought new in Jan 2000.7.3 was all I wanted, with a big leather living room for lots of road trips. Skiing, Disneyland, crossing continental divide at least 10 times if not more. trips everywhere. I have 323,000 miles on our BIG RIG as the family call it. This ride has been the most dependable vehicle that I have driven, besides my 2 jetta diesels. Which each of them has over 200,000 miles each. Maintenance wise it is easy. I did ALL of it. Except for a few minor recalls ( Turbo Bolts loose. CPS replacement). This is a dream driving down the road. Always reponsive. OK now for the maintenance that I did that kept it that way:
    1:: Always changed the oil at every 3,000 mile interval, 15*40 Dello.
    2::Trans fluid changes at 40,000 intervals.
    3:: Flushed all fluids, brake, radiator, power steering every 2 years.
    Minor problems: Door actuators. rear door getting dirt in locking mechanism. fix was a bit of elbow grease fixing them. Then on to the bigger inconvenience front ROTORS. Ford screwed up. Trying to make the vehicle low enough to fit in garages. So they made a few changes that screwed up the front suspension system. Small rotors. warping, again and again. cutting back on leaf springs. Fixed problem after replacing 3 sets of rotors. Got tired of doing that. Got cryo powerstops and the problem went away.Finally a few things that had to be replaced as things do wear out.
    1:: Alternator, 2 times. 160,000 mi. and 300,00 mi. it's expected, brushes do wear.
    2:: Water pump, 200,000 mi.Took two 4 hr days to do. Was teaching my kid how to do water pumps. first day to mc giver it off and the next to get right part and put it on. Told my kid, "now that you have done this with me, no pump should be hard to take off:. He was 16 at the time. got himself a jeep. now he is auto savy learns everything along side of me. Like I said. taking care, lubricating everything, this BIG RIG is just great. Even when on a trip through the California REDWOODS. I lost my Brakes coming down an off-ramp. Kids thought I was Jacking around, when I said hold on just lost the brakes. We stopped finally. Jumped out and looked for the problem, brake fluid all over the right front wheel. Hell I thought I broke a brake line. Told the kid to step on the brake as I had my head under the wheel well. Face full of fluid,
    I saw that the Bleeder zerk was leaking. I know I tightened it when I bleed the brakes before the trip. Call an auto parts store ( ON SUNDAY) , they told me that sometimes rust gets in there and you tighten them down, they work for a while and then wammo, rust blows out. They sent one of their younger emplyees out that was heading in our direction with new zerks and more fluid.1& 1/2 hour later we were on the road again. When we got home after that trip, I replaced all calipers 294,000 mi. they lasted long enough. Just last week i got a 1155 on scanner. ABS sensor is not working on right front wheel. no biggie, probably dirty. if not, it is time to rep out the front hubs. more learning adventures for the kid and me this time. All in all. no heartaches with this Excursion. We have great memories so far with where we have gone to. It has always been there for us. Will not ever sell it. will have it rebuilt when it is time . I feel that it will still be way down the road before that happens. Also on one more issue that I think is relevant, some don"t think it is. I change out the oil in the HPOP. I will not chance it when it comes to injectors getting worn out with dirty oil. They are very spendy. But that is about all I can say. GREAT RIDE.

• walt501walt501 Member Posts: 18
    Nice report Masterdragan! Keep us posted as the miles go by. I'm at "only" 193,000 on my 2003 7.3 Excursion. Here's to many more miles to come for both our rigs!