Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• wonjbwonjb Member Posts: 4
    Also I was wondering how much extra it would have cost to get the EX. Starting to get buyer's remorse....lol
  • zo0m1zo0m1 Member Posts: 9

that sounds like a good deal. $200 after tax? what's your MF? 36 month? 12k? which dealership?

• dhart1268dhart1268 Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2014
    Suriya,
    This was at Honda of Waldorf in Waldorf MD. It is formally Ken Dixon Honda. I'm pleased with the dealership
    edited May 2014

@zo0m1 said:
    that sounds like a good deal. $200 after tax? what's your MF? 36 month? 12k? which dealership?

Yes $200 after tax, which is about $184 before tax. 35 month lease, 12k miles a year, Hardin Honda in Anaheim, CA. As far as MF goes, I have no idea. I went in with $200 after tax being my max and ended up getting it!

pretty cool deal you got yourself :) do you know the sales price?

also, did you have to pay any fees upfront or does the $200 include everything?

@zo0m1 said:
    also, did you have to pay any fees upfront or does the $200 include everything?

Ah sorry I really should have put all my info up the first time.
    The final sales price is 17822.61 with a 595 acquisition fee. So the actual price of the vehicle is 17277.61. I paid the first month's payment of $200 + $338 in fees.

• cherryblossocherryblosso Member Posts: 1

I am in Orange County, Calif. I am interest in buying a 2014 Honda Civic LX sedan CVT Automatic, if any one bought his car recently please share your purchase price, plus tax, license fees, out the door price, dealer location, so I have some ideas to look for and negotiate. Any reply is greatly appreciate !

• engrvaengrva Member Posts: 1

dhart1268: What options did you get if any? Would appreciate your response. I am planning to get a car tomorrow.

@dhart1268 said:
    Sure: 2014 Civic EX Sedan

Selling Price            = $18395.81  
     Processing Fee        = $199.00
     Sales Tax (6%)        = $1115.69
     Honda Flex Cash      = (-$500)
     Registration             = $189.50
     Title/Lien Fees         = $100.00

Total Out the Door = $19,500.00

I put $7000 down and financed $12,500 for 48 months at 1.9% = $271/month.

Hope this helps someone else. Let me know your thoughts or questions.

• dhart1268dhart1268 Member Posts: 9
    I did not get any extra options added. Sticker was $21,880.00 (including destination) if that helps. I also have the actual window sticker if you need it I can send a pic.good luck...loving the car.
  • suriyasuriya Member Posts: 9

Thanks, Can you give me contact number of the sales rep you have dealt with in Honda of Waldorf?

If you want you can send a private message.

Thank You!

@dhart1268 said:
    Sure: 2014 Civic EX Sedan

Selling Price            = $18395.81  
     Processing Fee        = $199.00
     Sales Tax (6%)        = $1115.69
     Honda Flex Cash      = (-$500)
     Registration             = $189.50
     Title/Lien Fees         = $100.00

Total Out the Door = $19,500.00

I put $7000 down and financed $12,500 for 48 months at 1.9% = $271/month.

Hope this helps someone else. Let me know your thoughts or questions.
    @dhart1268 said:
    I did not get any extra options added. Sticker was $21,880.00 (including destination) if that helps. I also have the actual window sticker if you need it I can send a pic.good luck...loving the car.
    @dhart1268 said:
    Suriya,
    This was at Honda of Waldorf in Waldorf MD. It is formally Ken Dixon Honda. I'm pleased with the dealership

• remowilsonremowilson Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014

just bought 14 Civic EX for $19000 + TLR $5000 down with 3 year 0.9%.

BTW, does EX come with alarm?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217

I don't think any Civic comes with an alarm. They do have immobilizers that will keep the vehicle from starting without a key.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bayarealabayareala Member Posts: 7

I haven't much date for the honda civic LX automatic (4dr), does anyone know what a good price would be? I'm in the LA area. Thank you.

• thsmiththsmith Member Posts: 10

@remowilson - where did you get that price? Did you qualify for flex cash and is that included in the $19k price? Thanks.

Bought the LX today in the LA area. OTD was $18,462. Think I could have gotten it down a bit lower but everyone was pretty aggressive with their pricing this weekend.

Selling Price: $16660
    Processing Fee: $80
    Sales Tax: $1464
    Other local fees: $228

• rvajwrvajw Member Posts: 2

I signed the paperwork so I hope this is a good deal. 2014 Honda Civic EX-L 4 dr sedan. I got out the door for $21,350. I did take advantage of the current $500 from Honda in lieu of 0.9% because I got similar rate outside Honda so I would not have saved more. Breakdown:
    20032.90 Base
    399 Processing Fee (I realize this is higher than other places)
    Rest was tax, title, and license.

One recommendation is if you are shopping, always always always get an internet quote from several places first! This takes a lot of the back and forth and make it easy to leverage dealers.

Thoughts?

• laker34laker34 Member Posts: 27

bayareala...which dealer did you end up buying from?

@laker34 said:
    bayareala...which dealer did you end up buying from?

sorry just saw this message today. got it from airport marina off the 405.

• dancingdivadancingdiva Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2014

Hi All,

I am turning in a leased 2011 Accord at the end of the month and am interested in leasing a 2014 Honda Civic EXL CVT Sedan with Navigation and automatic tranny. I would like a smaller car and I really like the new Civic. If the price is right I might do the buy instead of a lease this time but I am still more serious about leasing. Obviously either way I would need the best price. I am in Southern Connecticut (Fairfield County) and am also near dealers in Westchester County, NY.

A price I got from one dealer was MSRP $25030 (incl the $790 dest fee) and an invoice of $23,306 ( incl dest fee). His best price so far is $21,800 + tax and DMV fees which will be a bit higher because he is in NY State. I will need new plates with a buy since the leased vehicle plates belong to Honda. If I lease I guess I can keep these plates and just pay for a transfer of vehicles. I asked about dealer cash for a buy and he said it was in that price already ($500). He said for a lease there is $800 dealers cash so that may bring the price down a bit. Usually when I try and lease they like to throw out the best price and go to their own deal which is not a good. Most lease deals through Honda are for lower end models and with money down. BTW, I do not drive a lot of mileage so it would be for either 10,000 or 12,000 miles a year or less depending on what Honda offers.

Any idea if this is a good deal or could I do better? I am lousy at leases so I always come here for some guidance. What is the money factor and residual on this car? I know to ask that but do not understand any formulas. And what would be a good monthly payment with $0 down for this configuration (EXL Sedan with Navi). My credit is great so that should help.

I always get good feedback in the forum so thanks for help in advance.

diva

Just wondering if anyone was around in this forum. I need to do a deal this week as my other lease is ending soon and they need to get a car for me in my preferred colors.

Thanks

Hey Dancingdiva,

My friend bought the EX without Navi for $21300 out the door here in Los Angeles, CA. So removing taxes, local fees and what not--the selling price was $19,406. Hope this kinda helps even though its not exactly the same trim. Good luck.

• l1ndsayl1ndsay Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my new Honda Civic LX sedan with manual transmission for $19,200 OTD. I'm from Alberta Canada. Has anyone paid less?

Thanks for the feedback, bayareala. I know the navi will be more but your friend did great. I'm not close to his number with tax etc. Hope your friend enjoys the new car!

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147

A reporter is looking to interview a car shopper who has found car pricing complicated and/or confusing. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, June 20, 2014 to share your story and opinions with a reporter.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• thawda1thawda1 Member Posts: 1

I am looking for Civic EX 4 Dr in Houston, TX. Does anybody have suggestions on which dealer I should look for and what kind of price I should expect if I buy it before the end of this month? Thank you very much. I really appreciate the help.

• elcheaposflelcheaposfl Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys not many comments on a base model civic lx cvt with no options... I'm in southeast florida so any advice is helpful. Thanks all for the wonderful resource that empowers consumers :)
  • zerogramzerogram Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    Hello, bayareala.

2014 Civic EX-L w/out Navi's base price is 19,406? OMG! Could you give me more information? Thank you:)
  • shaymasdaddy06shaymasdaddy06 Member Posts: 17
    What are the June figures for a 2014 Civic Si sedan with/without Navi?

@shaymasdaddy06 said:
    What are the June figures for a 2014 Civic Si sedan with/without Navi?

Either .00030 or .00079 MF (depending on state) and 59%/57% residual for 36mo, 15K/yr (lower residual is with NAV)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• shaymasdaddy06shaymasdaddy06 Member Posts: 17
    I'm in Tx

@zerogram said:
    Hello, bayareala.

2014 Civic EX-L w/out Navi's base price is 19,406? OMG! Could you give me more information? Thank you:)

Hi Zerogram,

My friend bought the 2014 Civic EX, not the EX-L. So I'm not sure what the base price for the EX-L would be. He also bought the car at Airport Marina in Los Angeles, where I had bought my Civic LX with no options at a base price of $16,660.

@shaymasdaddy06 said:
    I'm in Tx

.00079 MF

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• elcheaposflelcheaposfl Member Posts: 2

@bayareala said:
    My friend bought the 2014 Civic EX, not the EX-L. So I'm not sure what the base price for the EX-L would be. He also bought the car at Airport Marina in Los Angeles, where I had bought my Civic LX with no options at a base price of $16,660.

Bay Areala,

Was your Civic LX a manual or automatic at 16.6?

@elcheaposfl said:
    Was your Civic LX a manual or automatic at 16.6?

Automatic.

• vb8188vb8188 Member Posts: 1

Hey everyone,
    I am interested in buying 2014 Honda Civic EX, what are the OTD price paid by the members for 2014 Honda Civic EX and living in the SF bay area.

Thanks for helping me to buy my first car.
    VB8188

A buddy of mine recently bought a civic lx st SF Honda for about the same price I paid in LA. It should be the same. So assuming my friend bought his EX for 21,300 in LA, anything below that should be a good deal considering SF tax prices are lower than LA.

@vb8188 said:
    Hey everyone,
    I am interested in buying 2014 Honda Civic EX, what are the OTD price paid by the members for 2014 Honda Civic EX and living in the SF bay area.

Thanks for helping me to buy my first car.
    VB8188

• bmqtxbmqtx Member Posts: 1

Hi, I am in the Dallas, TX area and have been offered $17,000+TTL for a 2014 Civic LX CVT by a local DFW Metroplex dealer. Could someone please tell me if that is a good price? Or is there still some room for negotiation? Thank you very much for your help.

• howieboyhowieboy Member Posts: 1

I'm in So Cal and want a 2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L with Navi. Simi Valley quoted me $22,753 without taxes and fees. I'm seeing $22,600 - $23,030 at KBB.COM. Please tell me if and where I can beat these prices in So Cal. L.A. Area. I'll travel to save $300 or more. Thanks.

• karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165

The key to buying a Honda, I have bought six, is knowledge. The key is to arrive at a price goal before visiting a dealership. Arriving at a price goal is an art, using math.

One method I have found which always works is as follows:

Obtain the invoice price for the desired vehicle.
    Reduce that price by the dealer holdback. This can be found on Edmunds.
    Reduce the resulting price by all customer incentives.
    Use Edmunds to determine any manufacturer to dealer incentives. I believe at this time for a Civic this incentive is $500. Reduce the price once again for this amount.

Now you have a rough estimate of the lowest price anyone could reasonably expect. Recognize it is never possible to truly understand the real cost of the vehicle to the dealer. There are too many unkown incentives such as stair-step.

If you have a trade, the purchase is complicated a bit. However, with a bit of research you can quickly learn a rough estimate of the value of the trade on a purchase.

You can ignore any advice which suggests it is best to hide a trade until the last moment. Dealers are not stupid, they know people do this and it really will have no impact on the deal.

Arrive at a condition estimate for the trade. Don't overestimate be realistic. Use Edmunds, KBB, and NADA to obtain trade values. Average the three. Consider this the maximum amount you can expect for the trade. However, recognize the dealer will almost always offer around $2,000 less. Your goal should be $1,000 or so less than the average you computed.

Do not forget the tax benefits of trading the vehicle. The dealer will likely use this as a ploy to get you to lower the trade value. This is incorrect, the tax benefits to you have no relation to the value of the trade.

Once you have a price goal and trade value, contact as many dealers as you can to request a price quote. You should receive many. You will be amazed at the differences in prices.

Select a dealer and visit to negotiate. Don't be concerned about disclosing your pricing and trade information to the dealer. This will alert them you are knowledgeable. Let them come back with an offer. If that offer appears reasonable accept it or counter. If the offer appears unreasonable walk away. There is always another dealer. Furthermore, you rarely get a dealer's best offer until you show them you are willing to walk.

It is good to remember, a dealer must make a profit on the sale of a new vehicle. Therefore, a price which is 2-3 percent higher than you computed amount might be very good. Perhaps not the lowest but certainly not the highest.

It is always a good idea to compare your computed price to Edmund's TMV. This will give you a rough idea of the validity of your price. Remember TMV is sort of an average. Many pay less. You want to be one of those who pays less.

This process works. I have used it for years. Generally, I have to visit a couple of dealerships. This is mostly due to the different values dealers place on trades.

Just last week, we purchased a new Civic. I did all of the above. Went to one dealer who indicated they would sell at a fair price. Sadly, they lowballed my trade vehicle by $3,000. This was an insult. They ultimately came up to $1,000 under my desired trade value. Since the intial trade offer was so silly, I had questions about the overall integrity of this dealer.

Next day went to a different Honda dealer. I gave them my numbers, both price and trade. This dealer offered the same selling price as the first dealer but allowed my desired trade value. At that point, while it is possible I could have seen an additional couple of hundred price reduction had I visited yet another dealer, this deal was close enough to what I desired. I took it.

One caveat, under no circumstances tell a dealer during negotiations that you will pay cash or that you have outside financing. All dealers hope to make big profits on the back end in the F&I office. They make this profit through the sale of overpriced and unnecessary extended service contracts, GAP insurance, paint protection, LOJACK and other similar items. They also make a dealer reserve on financing. To gain this they often can and do have rates lower than you can find on you own. However, the are allowed to increase these rates if they can convice the buyer to accept the higher rate. They have no legal requirement to inform a buyer as to the rate the buyer actually qualifies. The dealer and F&I person retain much of the difference in payments from the bank.

Of course, you can always accept their higher rate and then pay off the loan or refinance immediately. This really angers them as they get a call back from the bank and do not earn the extra profit they were anticipating.

Best to let them think they will have an opportunity to make this back end profit. Once you have reached a deal and entered the F&I office you can let them know you will pay cash or already have financing. They can do nothing as you have already agreed on the deal. The F&I guy might be upset but do you care?

If you do have financing, it is OK to let them have a chance to beat it. Often they can. If they do, no reason not to take the lower finacing as it will save you some money.

Just say NO to any product offered in the F&I office. Remember, these F&I people are actually the dealership's top sales people. They are trained to persuade people, while the people are in a buying mode, as to an inflated value of the products they sell. Do not buy at this time. There is not need because if you later decide you want the products, they can almost always be purchased later at a much lower cost. Recognize any product an F&I person sells is almost always more than double what it cost the dealership.

Finally, you can essentially ignore any addendum sticker a dealer posts on a vehicle. Dealer's do this to deceive buyers into believing they must purchase the items on the addendum. You do not have to buy these items. They are always overpriced. As an example, on the Civic I just bought the dealer added an addendum for $200 for wheel locks and nitrogen in the tires. Air is made up of nearly 80 percent nitrogen. I did not pay extra for these two items though they left the wheel locks on the vehicle. They always do.

• brianw16brianw16 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2014

@bmqtx said:
    Hi, I am in the Dallas, TX area and have been offered $17,000+TTL for a 2014 Civic LX CVT by a local DFW Metroplex dealer. Could someone please tell me if that is a good price? Or is there still some room for negotiation? Thank you very much for your help.

BMQ, I think that is a good price. Here's my out-the-door experience on 7/18/2014 in Massachusetts for a 2014 Civic LX with automatic transmission (CVT), and no options or add-ons (all prices include Destination charge):

MSRP: 19,980

Edmunds Price Promise: 17,566 (best of 4 requested)

Internet Sales Price after EPP request: 16,947 (includes $500 Honda cash back)

MA safety inspection: 35.00

MA new registration: 57.50

MA title fee: 75.00

MA sales tax (6.25%): 1082.25

Dealership doc fee: 369.00 (pretty high I know)

Dealership single interest insurance: 35.00

Total OTD: 18,600.75

I put $1000 down and financed everything else at 2.49% (which beat my private financing) for 48 months.

I think I did okay. I might have been able to do a little better, as I was probably on the cusp of Honda Summer Clearance with 0.9% financing or $1000 cash back, but I'm not certain of that.

• sarav2sarav2 Member Posts: 2

Hi Everyone,

I recently moved to US and this is my first car here. I live in Sunnyvale, CA. I have decided to buy 2014 Civic EX sedan and have started asking price quotes since yesterday from various dealers nearby. Edmunds has been very helpful with all the information about buying experiences and in preparation for a good bargain.

I still could not find latest invoice price which I should take as the baseline and wanted to know how much would be the best deal OTD or base price.

Can anyone who has recently purchased 2014 Civic EX sedan share what is the final OTD price you have paid?

Thanks!

@sarav2 said:
    Hi Everyone,

I recently moved to US and this is my first car here. I live in Sunnyvale, CA. I have decided to buy 2014 Civic EX sedan and have started asking price quotes since yesterday from various dealers nearby. Edmunds has been very helpful with all the information about buying experiences and in preparation for a good bargain.

I still could not find latest invoice price which I should take as the baseline and wanted to know how much would be the best deal OTD or base price.

Can anyone who has recently purchased 2014 Civic EX sedan share what is the final OTD price you have paid?

Thanks!

Go to the top of any Edmunds page, select the make/model/year of the new car you are interested in, then choose: Build and Price. The 2014 Civic invoice prices are all there.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• camryraycamryray Member Posts: 1

I purchased a 2014 Honda Civic LX sedan on 7/7/14 and paid $16,897 for the car, not including tax and license here in California.

• crv123crv123 Member Posts: 33

Hi. I'm looking for a 2014 Civic EX-L with Nav in NY, preferably on Long Island…but I will travel a bit if needed. Can anyone share recent experience with pricing? Also, someone posted that there is a $500 incentive. I can only find the incentive noted for college grads and military. Is anyone aware of this incentive for others…or an incentive for repeat Honda buyers? One last thing…where can I find the information on the withhold/holdback percentage on the Civic so that I can calculate that as well. Thanks!!

• paco21paco21 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2014

Hello folks looking for some help here, I just got of the phone from one of the biggest dealership here in SoCal and received the following out the door prices in email by the internet sales manager. I originally called 5 local dealers but have been going back and forth with 2 dealers so this is what I got so far.

2014 civic sedan ex. $21272

2014 civic sedan exl no navi $22900

As a condition of this quote I would be paying cash or bring in my own financing (which is what I'm planning to do)

I reside in Los Angeles county so my tax rate is 9%
    I'd appreciate any input on the matter along with advice on what I should do next and if this is considered a decent deal.

Thank you

• coodycoody Member Posts: 4

What is the lowest out-the-door price you have ever seen to get a new Honda Civic with standard features at the end of July, August, September, October or November?

• tychesystychesys Member Posts: 2

@camryray said:
    I purchased a 2014 Honda Civic LX sedan on 7/7/14 and paid $16,897 for the car, not including tax and license here in California.

Was your Civic LX a manual or automatic?

• gooddealornogooddealorno Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2014

OK-thought we got a "great" deal from Buena Park Honda, in Orange County CA and now - not so sure. Envious of person who bought from Airport Marina in L.A. who seems to have gotten a MUCH better deal and that was 2 months ago and MUCH closer to our home than BP dealer. Went with BP because lowest price from a local dealer near our home was 19320.12 OTD for a new 2014 Civic LX automatic with "Secure Etch" that they did not have in stock in the colors we wanted (didn't check out Airport Marina Honda thinking it might be pricier since it's located close to LAX.) Agreed to go with BP Honda because internet sales rep offered 19k OTD for LX we wanted in stock, without options. Originally lowest internet offers received were 17014-17392 initial purchase price from 3 dealers spanning 2 counties (40 mile radius). Presenting the lowest internet prices to 4 other higher competitors via email DID NOT get them to meet these offers. Ultimately the new 2014 Civic LX automatic we purchased on Sun 7/27/14 was 19539.41 OTD with security options and breaks down like this (DID WE GET A GOOD, GREAT, OR JUST OK DEAL?)
    NOTE: We tried to use a credit union based auto buying service we used 7 years ago (Autoland) and were told that we "could not" get the car for less than 18k initial purchase price which is why we felt we got a "great" deal. Were we wrong?

1. 16914.27 = Base/Initial Purchase Price
    2. ***80.00 = Doc Fee (taxable/CA max allowed)
    3. OPTIONS:
    4. ***99.00 = "Phantom Footprints" (taxable): security id tags that if removed/damaged leave an imprint/etch on the vehicle that is read by UV light. 6 tags located on major access points of the vehicle - physically verified location of tags on vehicle.
    5. **400.00 = "Karr Security System" (taxable): purchased because we have never owned a Honda and have heard "horror stories" about how often they are stolen. It will be parked on public streets (no private/garage parking.) Program offers "complete" reimbursement when combined with vehicle insurance comprehensive reimbursement if a new replacement car has to be acquired (max 20k payout). It is supposed to differ from the factory security system in that it has sensors that set the alarm off if something touches the car and activates dealer installed tracking if stolen. It wasn't really clear what features are standard on the factory security system but we're thinking we really just paid for the added insurance for 36 months that covers the cost of a replacement car. Supposedly we saved nearly 50% on this product for being USAA members (over 1000 MSRP, got it for 547.91 with tax.)
    6. **200.00 = "Karr Security System 2" (taxable): another component of the added security system (above) that reimburses the insurance comprehensive deductible that has to paid (max 2k payout.) In a nutshell the xtra 699 of protection helps to fully reimburse all costs associated with replacing this car with a new model if the car is a total loss due to theft. We didn't actually pay for this item, it was deducted from the original selling price of the vehicle ?17114.27 (16914.27 + 200) because "supposedly" the finance guy made a mistake when he told us to write the check amount for the added security options (forgot to add this feature.)
    7. *1592.39 = TAX ON ITEMS ABOVE AT 9% Los Angeles County
    8. ***29.00 = Electronic Vehicle Registration or Transfer Charge
    9. 19314.66 = "cash price" per contract
    10. CA STATE FEES:
    11. **115.00 = estimated license fees
    12. *101.00 = Registration/Transfer/Titling Fees
    13. ***8.75 = State Tire Fee
    14. $19,539.41 OTD price
    15. 4539.41 down payment; 15k financed with CU at .74% (<1%) with auto deduction from acct
    16. total interest to be paid on 15k financed is less than 200 for 3 years (36 mth loan term)
  • brianw16brianw16 Member Posts: 2

crv123, the $500 (or $1000) is an either/or with Honda financing (0.9% or 1.9% depending on when). Edmunds has a calculator that can tell you which saves you more money. Since I got 2.49% financing, only 0.5% above Honda's at the time, the $500 "cash" was the better deal to take.