Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stalling only on start up

travis236travis236 Member Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Buick

Hi i have a 92 buick Lesabre custom 3800 first of all when starting i have to give it gas to keep it running but only usally for 15-30 secs then its usally fine but recently its been getting worse but as long as i let it idle down and it stays running i have no problems with it after that until shuting it off and starting again.... car recently got a tune up which i was hoping fixed this but nope... i changed the plugs wires and fuel filter. also when driving at 55+ it will randomly stutter only a few times and its completely random and usally goes away but check engine light doesnt usally come on while it does this. but i do have a randomly occuring check engine light any idea what this could be?

Comments

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154

@travis236 said:
    Hi i have a 92 buick Lesabre custom 3800 first of all when starting i have to give it gas to keep it running but only usally for 15-30 secs then its usally fine but recently its been getting worse but as long as i let it idle down and it stays running i have no problems with it after that until shuting it off and starting again.... car recently got a tune up which i was hoping fixed this but nope... i changed the plugs wires and fuel filter. also when driving at 55+ it will randomly stutter only a few times and its completely random and usally goes away but check engine light doesnt usally come on while it does this. but i do have a randomly occuring check engine light any idea what this could be?

Has the fuel pump pressure been checked especially at starting? You can borrow fuel pressure testers from some box stores if you feel you know how to hook it up and use it.

I would suspect the MAF sensor. It has two fine wires that you can't touch but clean by spraying with MAF cleaner that's made for that. I actually use a fine camel hair artist's brush to clean the wires while wet.

You also can clean the idle air control solenoid but carefully spraying it. Don't dip it.

The intake around the butterfly in the throttle body can be gunked up with oily/tarry blowback from when the car is shut off. There's a honeycomb grate over the end of the throttle body and that can be taken off for cleaning by removing the spring wire holding it in. You can spray stuff in to clean that area but only use wooden sticks and cloths or other ways. Be careful of brushes because the spray loosens the bristles.

Also check for vacuum leaks in the small rubber hoses running from back of engine to vacuum storage tank on firewall. Check for cracks in the hoses on the engine due to engine heat.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154

i do have a randomly occuring check engine light any idea what this could be?

Check on the internet, but I believe you can use a paperclip to short terminal A and B on the diagnostic connector under dash in the area of steering column with key ON. You will get flashes of the check engine light. Count the flashes: should be 1 and 2, repeat 3 times, then any other codes will be repeated 3 times and it should end with 1 and 2. The 1 and 2 means 12 which is a code of some kind. You are interested in any code in between those.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

here's how to check for trouble codes on your car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8nZpQyoRh4