Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 vs MB M Class vs Acura MDX vs Lexus RX 350 vs BMW X5 vs Cadillac SRX

Comments

• gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    I thought luxury tax were only reserve for cars not trucks. Aren't the SUV's classified as light trucks, hence no luxury tax?
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    If they were truly trucks, then you'd have the problem of driving them on passenger car only parkways. They are cars.

Luxury tax for 2001 is now at 4% of the amount over $38,000. Not a big deal for the type of cars in this discussion since most are in the $35 -45k range.
  • rikarika Member Posts: 8
    Did anyone dealt with MB dealer in Bend Oregon?
    I want to know how their service is.
    Thanks for your input
    You really should ask this in the MB forum.
  • jmalik1jmalik1 Member Posts: 21
    1. Turn ignition key.
    2. Shift into drive.
    3. Press foot firmly on the throat of mediocrity.
  • veeikleveeikle Member Posts: 13
    I drive a 98 Volvo cross country.. had many problems with the car over the past three years..Yet..I still have enjoyed the car.. What was less than enjoyable.. was the way I was treated by the dealer and by Volvo corporate.
    I replace my leased car every three years and have had many different makes over the past 15 years. six months ago my wife leases a (2000) 320... and I can tell you that Mercedes has a level of customer satisfaction that just does not exist anywhere else.. If anyone living in the NY/NJ area is looking for a Mercedes dealer...I would be very happy to recomend ours...prestige MB in paramus n.j.ask for Rudy!
  • c43amg7c43amg7 Member Posts: 32
    My wife has a '99 QX4 that we got for a total lease payment (all-in, tax, etc.) of $438/mo for 39 months (plus a $538 doc, acquisition, etc. fee up front)with 15K miles (and $.12 per mile over) -- better by far than then available on MB or Lexus. 25 months into the lease, she's been quite happy with the car and Infiniti service, though we'd like more power than the 167HP it has.

Our salesperson just called to offer a 2001 4-wheel drive QX4 with the sunroof and premium packages (everything but the heated seats and limited slip, which is the Sport package) for $500/mo (all-in including tax, etc) for 48 months, otherwise same terms as existing lease(15k and $.12 per mile over), but nothing down (other than first months payment), no bank fee, no doc/acquisition fee, no cap cost reduction, etc. and they will take us out of our existing QX4 cost free (even tho we're now 6,000 miles over the 15K annumal allowance), no termination charge, etc.

Seems like a great deal to get rid of the current 6,000 excess miles free and to upgrade to new car with vastly-improved 240HP engine, Xenon lights, memory seats, stering wheel audio controls, upgraded interior, etc., since we'd otherwise still be paying $438 for another 14 months to drive the old QX4.

Any thoughts?
    I think you are posting in the wrong discussion. Most of us here have dismissed the QX4 as nothing more than a gussied up Pathfinder LE. I think a loaded PF LE is a great vehicle (I just had a '97, so I know they are reliable), but the QX4 is simply not worth the additional $$$. The vehicles are identical except for maybe more insulation stuffed into the body and the ability to pay extra $$$ for rear heated seats and Xeon headlamps. Big deal. You can add the headlamps as an aftermarket item.

The 2001.5 PF LE has it all: leather, memory seats, upgraded stereo and controls, etc.

If you want someone to reassure you on your decision, I'm sure the folks in the QX4 forum would be happy to.

TC
  • spakcharspakchar Member Posts: 37
    Infiniti is in big trouble, they've lost the marketing battle--bigtime, in my area they offering purchase deals with no down payment and and 2.9% APR and discounting the QX4 at least 5k!
    By comparison the deal you by are being offered sucks. They are trying to dump a unattractively eguipped car on you that has become difficult to sell. Unless you plan to hold onto the QX till it literally falls apart, you are throwing good money after bad. The resale on these things is gonna be a major disappointment.
    I suggest going into the dealership and bargaining real hard, I assure you it will be from a position of strength. You should be able to get the QX equipped the way you like for no more than $1000 over invoice.
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    Try again my friend. You can't buy a QX4 for 5000k off sticker unless its a leftover 2000 model. 5000k off sticker would be $2000 under invoice not $1000 over.

Now that toyota has brought out the Highlander is not the lexus just a dressed up highlander without the extra seating. The acura is a glorified Odessey with all wheel drive.

To get out of your lease and into the vehicle you want with no money down and only a slight payment increase sound like a good deal to me. Push a little to find out if they can get closer to your current payment. If not its probably a good deal.
    I just went to Driveoff.com and configured a QX4 (geez, sunroof isn't even standard on the QX4) to get it at the same option level as a PF LE (not inc NAV & ENT). Geez, the MSRP comes out to $38,615.00.

But there are dealers selling them for $350 over invoice, $3300 off of MSRP. They are trying to give these things away.

The PF LE is still the better value.
    Spakchar: am unconcerned about resale value as I have been leasing and will lease -- residual is the manufacturer's problem rather than mine -- I'm simply concerned with cash out at inception, and lease payments as I will not purchase at lease end. I think with the innovations coming so rapidly in cars, there is little incentive to own until the wheels fall off, unless one has to for financial reasons. As I calculate my deal (taking into account stepping out of my wife's existing QX4 lease with a 6,000 mileage overage and some dings and chips), I am getting quite close to invoice without having to take the resale risk of buying. Also, the dealer is taking in addition my '90 Q45 touring model (great performance car, with 4-wheel HICAS steering, 4.5L V-8 redlined at 7,000RPM [for comparison, my Mercedes C43 AMG rocket is redlined at 6,200RPM], great handling and road feel], but high maintenance) for cash at a midpoint between blue book trade and retail -- worth another couple of thousand $$ to me and saving the hassle of selling privately, having my wife deal with buyers (I don't have the time or inclination), etc. Finally, the dealer volunteered to make the first lease payment for me without asking (the lease bank is one of my primary banks and may have bumped the deal up).

Tonychrys: while I respect your preference for saving a few bucks with the Pathfinder, the QX4 has the Nissan Skyline's better adaptive 4-wheel drive system, as well as the other Infiniti amenities and, most important, Infiniti service, loaners, etc. One can sleep equally soundly at a Motel 6 and the Bel Air, but the amenities are nice to have. We did look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee (my wife's prior car), the Bubba-mobile M320 and RX300 (my preference) in round 1 when we chose the '99 QX4.

Bottom line, Inifiniti will deal, the car is a good one and if the package fits, it can be a good deal.
    We too looked at getting a new JGCL, but there were too many safety and quality issues once we did our research.

Money is not an object for me, the PF LE simply provides a better value. I say this because the AWD systems in both vehicles are identical. If you can point out that they are not, I'd love to be better educated. If the Infiniti customer service helps you sleep better at night, great. I will not dispute this factor since it is subjective.

FYI, we ended up getting a fully loaded '01 RX300 AWD Nav two weeks ago. It is simply a safer vehicle overall than both the QX4 or JGCL.

I wish you many happy miles with the Q. I know it's reliable because we just came off of a '97 PF lease.

TC
  • spakcharspakchar Member Posts: 37
    Ok here's the deal on the QX in PHX. 3.9% apr monthly of $389 no money down purchase price $35k+. Which is probably close to 4k off msrp. This is the deal as it appears in the paper. I would think you prolly could actually do better than this if you know how to bargain, or a lot better if you are a cash buyer. Infiniti dealers have a lot of QXs in stock. They are also offering double the Infiniti buyer loyalty incentive (or whatever) which would be an additional 1000 bucks.
    It's interesting to note that this monthly matches the lease deal the lexus dealers are offering. I read somewhere that Lexus sold more than Rx 300 in 2000 than infiniti did for their entire line. Just about every comparison test I've seen for the lux suv segment shows the QX finishing dead last. With the economy the way it is Infiniti will be offering huge discounts on these things by summer, mark my words.
    BTW, I was ready to buy a QX but the dealer dicked me around so badly during negotiations that I suddenly anounced that I was headed across the street to buy an RX 300. The sales manager sent the salesman out to try to pull me back in, but I was done with them. I took delivery of my RX a week later. My RX has been trouble free (nearly perfect in every way), I beleive it is a marginally better car but a markedly better value. Due to the famous Lexus attention to the fine details, plus the anticipated better resale value.
    At my lexus dealership their is no negotiation but the process is fair. Find the car you want take 10% off MSRP add the taxes, and that is the out the door price. I understand like any dealership they will try to lowball you on your trade-in, but that was not an issue for me.
  • akovach1akovach1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have experience with having a cellular phone hard-wired for hands free operation? Apparently all MDX's have the antannae installed for the navigation system even if it is not purchased. Can the cell phone antannae be scabbed into the wiring to eliminate the need for two antannaes?
    The RX300 is an excellent car -- it would have been my choice two years ago when we first got into the SUV thing for my wife (I wanted the 4WD with the Nakamichi). She, however, preferred the QX4 then, despite the 167HP engine (she didn't like the looks of the Lexus) and the Infinite was substantially cheaper as they would deal much more than the Lexus dealers. With the new QX4 engine, her satisfaction with two years of customer service at Infiniti and the additional cost for comparable options for the Lexus (which can add $5,000 fully loaded from the base) vs. the willingness of Infiniti to deal on price and taking my old Q45 and the '99 QX4, we'll do the QX4 again. Provided that one doesn't have to take a resale price risk, it's hard to go wrong with either car.

tonychrys: in 2001 Nissan is for the first time offering the Infiniti All Mode 4-wheel drive system (derived from the Japanese market-only Nissan Skyline)on the LE Pathfinder (not available in prior years) -- while this narrows the gap between the Pathfinder and the QX4, the Infiniti amenities and overall package deal still made a difference to us, despite the substantial underlying similarities of the top-end Pathfinder and the QX4.
  • mbml55amgmbml55amg Member Posts: 57
    Does it still have drum brakes on the rear axle?
  • muzhikmuzhik Member Posts: 18
    I am telling you guys, there is...

I am on the market for an SUV myself and pretty much know what I want in terms of cubic feet, inches, and seconds. So, I went out last night did some test driving. Here's what I think:

Acura MDX. This car is perfect if you look at the numbers. You can almost see engineers tallying those numbers up to stack nicely against competition. Well, I test drove it. It's sterile. The car has no soul. The engine is smooth as silk, everything is working just the way it is supposed to, but there is no tactile feeling of a live beast when you floor the pedal, flick the turn signal, roll down the window, you name it. It almost feels too refined. But... what's up with auto AC controls left off from the rest of electronics? Too lazy to integrate Accord's unit properly with your fancy-shmancy LCD screen? Also, the vehicle has a distinct 'Honda parts bin' mark on it, starting from turn signal stalks and ending with seats and door seals.

ML320: How can these Germans look straight into my eyes and offer me a $40K vehicle that doesn't have an automatic A/C on it? What, Alabamians aren't smart enough to assemble it? I don't get it.
    But you know what? This car's got soul. Listen to the engine respond to your command, feel the switches, the support of the seat -- this thing is alive. It has an attitude, it is not perfect, but it definitely is worth falling in love with.

So far, the Benz has my heart. However, there are still two contenders left -- RX300 and X5. I will keep you guys *posted*. Ha-ha.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The M-class has a semi-automatic climate control system. Basically, you set the temperature and fan speed and it will adjust to match. At this time of year, I usually leave the temperature control at the 9 or 10 o'clock position and on fan speed 1 or 2. I rarely have to adjust it after that. The MB M-class discussion topic is here if you wish to read the posts/ask questions.

Good luck!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Is obviously a highly subjective quality. Personally, I didn't find any "soul" or much character in the ML320. It felt cold and austere, and, frankly (because of a rougher truck-based ride, its exterior styling, the understated interior, lack of ergonomics), unrefined. I also think the MDX is fairly cool and not loaded with character, but I like the sewing machine hum of the engine.

The only luxe SUV's I've found with my own subjective view of "character" is the X5, and, purely on radical styling and not driving capability, the RX300. I think the X5, as impractical as it is, has loads more character than the ML320 / ML430 or the MDX.
    That's interesting. The Toyota Highlander and the RX300 both felt like applicance vehicles to me. I also find the "lack of ergonomics" you mentioned interesting. Where do you find it lacking? The only thing that I can think of is the volume control knob, which is a non-issue for me since I don't really fiddle with it too often while driving. Almost everything else is within easy reach of both the driver and the passenger. One ergonomic flaw in the MDX is way the climate control buttons are housed in the top of the dash. I'm sure you're used to it now, but it felt strange to me.

FWIW, it goes to show you how subjective perception of character is. You probably liked the goggle-eyed look of the Integra whereas I absolutely hated it. I much prefer the Japanese market Integra's rectangular flush mounted headlamps. The fact that the Japanese ones are HID Xenons are also nice :-)

I do agree with you that the X5 is nice...however, I only find the front end appealing. I am not a fan of the steeply raked rear tailgate/lift glass styling, nor do I like the black colour plastic apron at the base of the rear bumper.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • egrandegrand Member Posts: 14
    I posted a similar question to this on Bmw board after reading on Motor Trends web site of a 2002 BMW X5L in the works with a ?third row seat. Does anyone have knowledge of a similar Mercedes or Lexus model like this planned in the future or of further details of the BMW model? Thanks. Elliot
    The current MB M-class SUV already has optional 3rd row seats. The next geneneration M-class (late fall of 2004) will be available in two wheelbases. As for Lexus, I think they want you to move up to the LX470 if you want a 3rd row of seats.

Drew
    Host
    Nah, I wasn't crazy about the headlights on the Integra either, but I got used to them.

Re: lack of ergonomics on the M-class. I think you'd find them easier if you weren't so used to MB ;-) After all, they didn't get cupholders for a long time.

Easy examples include lack of steering-wheel mounted audio controls, an awkward left-handed cupholder for the driver, lack of a "neutral" position for the mirror adjustments, and a rather confusing, many-tiny-buttoned interface for MCS and the stereo. The location of the window switches is really old-fashioned and they belong on the doors like most other vehicles. I'm sure there's more. Hopefully some of these can be fixed for 2002.

These are of course quibbles, and I still think the ML is an excellent vehicle from an objective perspective.

FWIW, it goes to show you how subjective perception of character is.

As I said originally, it's highly subjective, and my statements are of course based on personal perception.

And like I said, the RX has character to me, purely based on its radical exterior styling. I don't really care for the way it drives but that's just me.

I actually like the X5's rear end. The apron is so-so, but I like the look otherwise. Unfortunately, the ML's rear-end, as practical and G-wagen-ish that it may be, is probably (to me, purely subjective) the most unappealing exterior styling component, and probably what leads some folks to call the vehicle ugly (e.g. my mother-in-law, who downright hates it, and my wife isn't thrilled with it).

Ironically, while the MDX is the SUV that's based on the minivan, I've always thought the M-class looked like some strange, lopsided, truncated minivan. Over time I've gotten used to it, sort of. I think it'd be even less attractive for more people if it didn't have the three-pointed star on it. It's the main reason why I think people get so excited when they hear about a "facelift" for the 2002 ML -- they're hoping it makes a big difference whereas it's (probably) relatively minor.

Hopefully the next-gen M-class will look better to more people, as MB does have talented designers who can execute a good look. They did a great job with the C-class, and maybe a clean start will produce a really great 2005 vehicle.
    "Examples include lack of steering-wheel mounted audio controls, an awkward left-handed cupholder, lack of a "neutral" position for the mirror adjustments, and a rather confusing, many-tiny-buttoned interface for MCS and the stereo. I'm sure there's more. Hopefully some of these can be fixed for 2002."

Touché, steering wheel mounted audio controls would be nice. You may find it interesting that many long time MB owners are still on the fence about these steering wheel buttons on the new MB cars. As for the cupholder, the left hand arrangement seems perfect to me. Since most people are right handed, you can use your strong arm to hold the steering wheel. I've also found that it's actually a good place to hold a cellphone. WRT the mirror control, you'll find the exact same thing across the entire MB lineup. This has been the way for many years. Note that in order for the passenger side rearview mirror to tilt down when reversing, the switch has to be in the left position anyway.

As for the MCS, aside from the volume control, I have to say that I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. All you have to do is press the large # buttons to switch radio stations. The list that calls up your preset stations can be called up via the left most button (closest to the driver) below the LCD screen. To manually enter of the station of your choice, all you have to do is hit * and then the frequency, ex. 9-5-3 for 95.3. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Perhaps you need more time to play around with it?

The ML's tailgate is not G-wagen-ish at all (the G-wagon has an external rear spare and the tailgate is almost perpendicular to the road). I think it's the combination of the short overhangs (partly for off-roading) and the car compatible/car height bumpers that gives it that minvanish rear look. I guess we have something in common then. The MDX looks very much so like a minivan from certain angles too. :-) Particularly the base models that don't have the roof rack The slab sided doors and lack of rub strips doesn't help either. BTW, are you planning to add those on at some point in time? I can't say that I've been particularly impressed with the ones that some other owners have installed so far. It almost seems like the MDX's styling defies one from adding the rubstrips (i.e. the front bumper line is a lot heigher than the rear, and the vehicle sort of slants downwards towards the front - like an arrow tip).

On another note, did the X5 you drove have the navigation system? I found that (like most LCD screens), the screen was absolutely unreadable when sunlight hit it. I'm perplexed as to why BMW chose such a strange angle for it.
    This is one of the large parking lots (there are 6 of them in all) where I test drove the MDX and X5/X5 Sport in the snow. The picture was taken a few days ago when we had that snowfall, BTW. As you can see, I had a lot of opportunity to play around and compare the different 4WD/AWD systems, as well as the stability control/traction control systems, if so equipped. ;-) Limits of the vehicles can be safely explored in this area. But if only those light poles weren't there...that would be perfect.

I guess you all didn't get even close to this much snow :-p

Drew
    Host
    As for the cupholder, the left hand arrangement seems perfect to me.

I am afraid I don't buy into the idea that it keeps your right arm free, because your right arm certainly isn't free when you have to adjust the stereo, window switches, mirror controls, etc. And of course your right arm is used to access the transmission (a TipTronic-style one, at that). Since most folks are right-handed, they may as well drink right-handed too, with less risk of spilling their drinks (and distracting themselves). Plus the left arm is in a somewhat less free position with the door on the side, especially if the driver is more, ahem, generously proportioned.

WRT the mirror control, you'll find the exact same thing across the entire MB lineup.

Doesn't mean it's an ideal arrangement. It wouldn't cost much to have a center "neutral" position.

As for the MCS, aside from the volume control, I have to say that I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Again, most of this is fixed with steering-wheel mounted audio controls, to adjust volume, change presets, and move around CD tracks. I didn't find the MCS CD changer controls to be very intuitive. I'm not the only one who doesn't like the MCS interface, I'll have to see if I can dig up autojournalist comments on it.

Heck, the volume control is enough, unless the stereo has auto-leveling in it. Dang radio stations play their commercials at much higher volumes than the regular programming.

The ML's tailgate is not G-wagen-ish at all.

Uh, I didn't say it was. If you check my previous message, I said it was the rear-end (in general). And actually, it was you who several months ago said the rear-end was G-wagen-ish ;-).

You won't find me cheering the MDX's plainish side view. Though I like the front nose more than you do, especially when the headlamps and foglights are on.

I still maintain that, even though the MDX is the one that's based on a minivan, and definitely has some minivanish exterior qualities about it, the ML looks even more like a minivan (especially if the ML isn't dressed up with the nice chrome bumper guard, which I've always admired, and foglights).

The power of knowledge is very strong. If a neutral observer had no idea which vehicle was derived from a minivan platform, and the brand badges were removed, I still think they'd be more likely to pick the ML as the minivan. I still remember how surprised I was when I first saw an ML.
    Hmmm, maybe it's the detail in the photos, but those lots look "too clean." A lot of problems aren't on relatively clean white powder, but combinations of slush, snow, ice, and water. E.g. when we went over the mountain passes for Christmas, there was no white powder to drive on top of, it was just a mess of the aforementioned combination. I find driving over a few inches of powder a much different sensation than driving over slush, snow, and ice, at least in past vehicles I've been in.

Maybe you should bring a hose with you ;-)
    There are always areas of slush/ice too. I just didn't take any pictures of them since after I "used" the lots, they looked pretty terrible with all of my tire marks in them ;-) Some sections of the lots were actually ice, with 3-4" of snow on top. Other parts were compacted snow. You'll find that most winter driving schools/test tracks utilise compact or powder snow covered areas.

Here are the rest of the pictures, if you're interested:
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=137587&a=11472157

WRT the cup holder, must you drink while you touch the transmission lever, fiddle with the radio, etc.? One shouldn't be doing that while driving the vehicle anyway. Ah well...

As for the CD changer, you must be referring to that joystick control. FYI, the soft buttons below the screen can also be used. I think the reason why I don't have this problem is because I don't have the changer. Oh and BTW, yes, the radio is auto compensating/leveling. Great feature, though it is somewhat subtle.

I do like the MDX's front end with the headlamps/foglamps on (which is how my neighbour drives his MDX at night). Without the headlamps on...well, I think I prefer the 1.7EL's front end (which is, BTW, not too far away from the MDX's front fascia).

Well, that person would have to be pretty ignorant then. MB doesn't make minivans!....yet ;-)

FWIW, at a recent Chinese New Year party, one of my parents' friends (Not asian but caucasian, and a Durango owner) absolutely loved the M-class. He liked the styling of the front and even the back! Perhaps the rear deflector, trailer hitch, Parkpilot sensors, and the chrome accents around the taillamps helped :-) Speaking of the rear deflector, is yours there yet?

image">
    WRT the cup holder, must you drink while you touch the transmission lever, fiddle with the radio, etc.? One shouldn't be doing that while driving the vehicle anyway.

Not all at the same time, obviously ;-) It's just easier to handle a cupholder on the console side (right arm for the driver). My point is that it doesn't really have much benefit to putting it on the left side (though southpaws here might disagree). If the idea was to keep the right arm on the steering wheel, then a lot of controls would have to be accessible on the left to maintain that idea.

Besides, your left arm is used to hold the folded-up newspaper while you drive. No, Drew, I'm kidding ;-)

Anyway, as I said before, these are more quibbles on an otherwise excellent vehicle.

Well, that person would have to be pretty ignorant then. MB doesn't make minivans!....yet

That's exactly my point ... when you have that knowledge, you adjust your perception to fit your experience. But the base perception still would say "more minivan-ish."

Nope, rear deflector isn't on yet, still a twee bit busy, working on the computer, taking short breaks on it too ;-) I also got the replacement front air deflector this week (to replace the one that was damaged during shipping). A&H MotorSports slapped fragile stickers all over the box this time (though it had been marked fragile before; I guess UPS needed a half-dozen more to get the idea!).

Say, you haven't added a CD Changer to your M-class yet? I knew you wanted to add your own audio equipment rather than the Bose "high fidelity" stuff, but I'd have thought you'd done it by now. Maybe with big enough speakers, you can roll down your windows and blast Wagner as X5's, MDX's, RX's, and other lesser SUV's go by.
  • kingscreekkingscreek Member Posts: 37
    Egrand, I just took my RX300 in to have the antenna replaced as some children accidentally broke it while playing. While I was there the serviceman said that the 2002 RX will have a third row seat and they are also planning on putting a new type of tire on it. I asked him if the seat will be like the one in the Volvo V70, which if you have not seen it is basically flush with the floor, so your legs are sticking straight out. (Definitely for toddlers only and for short trips)

According to him the plan is to have the seat facing the rear of the car and you will pull it up and push up, then back, leaving a space for legs.

I also have the navigation system which you will find invaluable when purchased. It is one of those things that once experienced,you wonder how you ever lived without it. I do not even travel outside of my city at this time and I use it almost every day. I am curious to hear about the Infinity navigation system though. I like this idea about being able to see the road in different ways.

Truthfully, I made my purchase based upon the navigation system. I really liked the way the Volvo drove, but they had no navigation systems anywhere in the country and to order it from Sweden would have taken three months. The dealership here said that people balked at the extra price, but that seems strange to me based upon the price of the car.

I liked the Mercedes, but people I met were having trouble with it, and the navigation was a cd based regional one. which would need to be changed if moving out of the area.

The MDX seemed fine. I did not like the front grill and there was something a little annoying about the screen to me. Everything on the screen looked a little large, as though it was made larger so the driver wouldn't have to put on glasses to read it.

Of course you all know that all of these things that seem so important when you are choosing a car become very insignificant after a few months. Not many things can stand up under the intense scrutiny we give our cars when purchasing. For example, I have often read criticisms of the gear shift in the RX300, and while it was a little odd at first, I don't even notice it now. As a matter of fact, I rather like it.
  • rnbnmrnbnm Member Posts: 3
    I am the mother of a 2-year old and am expecting twins in a few months. I'm looking for a vehicle that will fit 3 car seats plus 2 parents (plus occasionally an extra adult). I'd strongly prefer not to buy a minivan (no offense to minivan owners). Any views on the MB M-class or any other ideas? Doesn't need to have loads of cargo space--I know I can't ask for too much without buying a minivan! The Acura MDX would be great, but the wait is currently at least 6 months in my area and I need a vehicle much sooner. Thanks alot in advance for any suggestions.
  • albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    Reva, looks like you're considering ML, MDX and Volvo XC.

MDX wait time too long: You can get out-of-state delivery. I have a local friend(SF Bay area) who bought his MDX from Oregan and his wait time was less than 2 months. But if you don't want to put in the extra work for this, go with ML or XC.

ML: It's also a great vehicle as many posts have discussed. Three kids should be able to fit the 2nd row although it might be a little tight when compared with MDX which is wider. It also has the 3rd seat that expands the total seating to 7. Its safety features are excellent.

XC: The 2nd row should be very similar to ML's. But its 3rd seat is useless. And it's not an SUV -- no high seating, but drives/rides better. Safety features are also great. I personally think XC has the best safety among the three.

Hope this helps...
    To add to Albert's excellent message ...

You may also like to consider a full-sized SUV like the Toyota Sequoia. It'd be comparably priced to the Mercedes, adding greater room if you ever decide you do need it. It also has excellent safety features, but is quite a heavy vehicle. It supposedly "drives lighter" than it is but you'll notice a huge difference with the Mercedes.

Good luck, and congratulations on the upcoming twin birth.
  • robin007robin007 Member Posts: 4
    I have been told that the dealers are willing to sell 01 Rx 300 for close to invoice price. Has anyone experience this, and how close is it? Any suggestion and recommendation of a dealer is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Robin
  • kimwipeskimwipes Member Posts: 21
    I got mine $450 over invoice in Lexus of Portland and was offered the same deal in Lexus of Eugene. A bit of a drive from SF ...
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    Yesterday I took a neighborhood street drive in a 2000 ML320 with 19K miles. Today a new RX300 (went to look at a 2000 but the saleman said a new one is just a little more).
    The Mercedes SUV lacks most of the good toys and several expected amenities but drives/rides like their sedans; solid, in control of the road, great seats, a driving machine. You do fall in love with its soul.
    The RX has all the neat stuff, autotemp, reclining rear seats, storage everywhere, accesible CD. The biggest drawback was the driver's seat. Every 2 minutes during a 25 minutes (my option on whether to bring the saleman) I was trying to adjust the seat bottom. No position evenly spread my weight; there was always one spot that felt pressure. I think the seatcushion is too flat, and doesn't cup to support you. A nice passenger vehicle.
    On the MB I set the seat once and never changed it; didn't even think about it.
    RX300 problem 2 ... boring to drive, no character, no road feel. Also not as quiet nor as smooth riding as I expected. For the most car-like SUV from the quietest car company I expected far less windnoise.
    After I drove the MB, I made an appointment to drive it again when I had more time. Only downside to this 2000 is that it has a skyroof which doesn't really interest me. I loved it though and may even consider a new one.
    The Lexus may be more reliable but it won't be enjoyable.
    (Don't really like the looks of the MDX or BMW.)
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    Wish it were nicer here today so I'd have an excuse to open the roof and drive somewhere.
    Yesterday I bought a 2000 ML320 with 19K miles, black, ash leather and the skyview roof (which proved to be much better than I expected.) I testdrove it in the pouring rain and it was a still great drive; solid, surefooted, smooth.
    The day before I drove a new RX300 and the used M-B was no noiser (Lexus has wind noise around the outside mirrors, the M-B around the skyview roof) and just as smooth riding. But you drive the M-B, the Lexus you just steer. When you get behind the wheel in the ML, the gearshift falls into hand. In the Lexus, its that odd lever in the middle of the dashboard that you have to reach for, almost an inconvenience.
    Even the buy experience was good. My wife hates that part of carbuying and she said "this wasn't painful at all". The saleswoman was never pushy, even thought my kids were cute when they set off the alarm on the SLK in the showroom (nice car), and got my coffee order right. They were much fairer on the trade-in than the Lexus offer was and didn't try to switch me to new like the Lexus salesman. It came from Motorcars East in Bedford, Ohio, saleswoman Kathy Stape.
    I actually like the cruise control lever, I would like steering wheel controls for the radio but don't think its that far to reach (Lexus lacks them too), would prefer autotemp but am willing to swap that for drive orientation of the car. Lexus has the little things, Mercedes has the soul.
    Just hope my wife doesn't appropriate it too soon.
  • arun_misraarun_misra Member Posts: 4
    Recently i took test drive for both.

I can get MDX for around 38.8K onroad with all the options. (base MDX+running boards+ carrier+wheel locks)

ML320 is for 41.6K on road with all my options (base ML320+leather+sunroof+CD+3rd row seatings)

I found ML320 much heavier to drive.

I am looking for SUV which can be used for 7 people once in while. MDX is best for that. ML320, i couldnt see the 3rd row seats as dealer didnt have one.

Does anyone have 3rd row seats in ML320? How comfortable are they?

I am not sure if i should go for MDX, value for the money or ML320 the old mercedes name???

Any thoughts???
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    When do you need to get one? ML is available now and MDX, well, depends on when your dealer can get it for you.

ML - you can get at or below invoice with the rebates

MDX - MSRP - no discounts yet
  • arun_misraarun_misra Member Posts: 4
    my dealer can get MDX in OCT. even for ML320 i have to wait 70 days as i need 3rd row seats which are not installed automatically.

Has anyone used 3rd row seats in ML320???
  • drummerboydrummerboy Member Posts: 30
    I own a 2001 RX300 w/Navigation. I did check out the ML320 before making my purchase. The 3rd row of seats are extremely crowded in the ML320. I don't recommend getting it. If you want 3rd row of seats, get the MDX. Personally, I think the best deals out there are the RX300 and the MDX. If you don't mind spending more, get the X5. I think that ML320 is very over-priced. You can get a fully-loaded RX300 w/navigation for ~$37,000 (carsdirect.com). The RX is the most luxurious of the bunch, while the MDX is the most practical. Have fun shopping!
    The MDX's 3rd row is even worse than the ML's and the 2nd row cannot be permanently moved forward to provide the 3rd row passengers with more legroom like the ML. An average size adult can sit in the ML's 3rd row seat for about 45 minutes without too much difficulty.

The '01 MLs can be had at below MSRP right now, so it would be around the same price as the RX.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    While seating capacity is one consideration, there is more to it than that, are we talking about SUV's in here, rigth? The discussion degenerated to something like a discussion of sedans, what rides better, what is softer, what is more confy and gadgety, what about the utilitarian aspect of it? Ater all we are talking about SUV's, a ruged vehicle that can go off the road, a vehicle used to tow heavy loads under more difficult conditions than the highway, a vehicle that fits the philosophy that is better to have and not need than need and not have, if you agree with that you will see that the ML is the strongest and most rugged of the group, with a heavy ladder frame, with a deep reduction transfer case that none of the other offer, with the low reduction the ML can pull heavy loads up hill without straining the transmission or the engine, the ML is a truck that rides like a car, if we consider that aspect it offers the best of both worlds, after all we are talking about UTILITY vehicles.

The strong point of the ML is it's engine transmission combo and good supension, if it was not the case it would never have won the Dakar rally in the Unmodified class, as is from the show room, 7000 km across the Sahara.
  • sdeamesdeame Member Posts: 14
    what zip code are you entering? i must live in the wrong area.

any experiences with buying a RX300AWD these days? I am looking at lease or buy. Any prices found lately would be handy. I live in the Boston area
    Here's a hopefully more balanced perspective on the third row (I'll try; I'm not a host ;-). Speaking strictly from the perspective of the third row, it comes down to your general cargo needs, the type of passengers (adults, children) you'll be carrying when you need seven-passenger capability, etc. Both the ML and MDX have trade-offs when it comes to their third rows.

Of course, all this should be balanced against your other priorities in a vehicle, whatever those may be.

The ML's third row seat is roomier for adults than the MDX's, and you can push forward the second row for more third row legroom, though of course that compromises second row legroom. Access is much better in the ML because you can tumble forward the second row seat in sections. You also get rear quarter windows that can open. With a leather interior, the third row seat is leather not vinyl as in the MDX. You can also install just one of the third row seats, leaving some room for cargo. The headrests for the third row are better than the little ones in the MDX.

On the other hand, the MDX's third row is permanently installed, and unlike the ML, can be conveniently folded away until needed, one seat a time. You don't have to decide to "reconfigure" your vehicle in advance. The ML's third row seats can be physically removed to maximize cargo room (the seats are not extremely heavy but certainly not lightweight) and you can store them somewhere in your garage -- assuming you have the room.

When the third row is folded down in the MDX, the third row removed in the ML, and both second rows in use, the MDX has more useful cargo capacity. (When the second row is also folded down, the ML has slightly more cargo room, according to Car & Driver.) With the full third rows in use in both vehicles, the MDX has somewhat more useful cargo capacity behind the third row, though it's still no great shakes.

As you can see, the third rows in both vehicles have their pluses and minuses, it comes down to how you're going to be using them.

If you need more frequent seven-passenger capability and cargo room, you're probably better served with a roomier full-sized SUV or a minivan.

Assuming you want to take advantage of the incentives to clear out the 2001 ML's (you definitely should be able to buy a 2001 for below invoice), and you want the third row, I would call around or at least make sure your dealership has called around. You mentioned it will take "70 days" to get a third-row ML320, which means they've got you in for a 2002? They're in relatively low supply but you might be able to locate a 2001 with a third row if you hurry. Your dealership may be able to get it transferred from the other dealership.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Cargo room is measured by the car's dimensions, it doesn't measure the usefulness of the volume of cargo room. The ML may have a higher cargo rating, but that's because it has a high roof. The MDX is much wider though, rendering its lesser cargo room more useful.

So if you have a lot of grocery bags, the cargo area of the MDX is more useful than that of the ML. But if you need to transport a barbeque grill, then the ML can hold it upright better.

3rd seats are a nice feature in an SUV, but if you need to carry adults instead of kids, why not go for a minivan?
    No, it's more than the ML320's "high roof." (And in fact, the MDX has a higher roof by 1.4 inches; the ML320 looks squatter because of its styling.) It's more about beltline and how the space inside is used.

My comments on more "useful cargo room" is based on the beer case test as done by Car & Driver. There, boxes are loaded up no more than six inches above the beltline. The MDX fit 34/20/5 behind the first/second/third rows, the 2000 ML320 they tested without a third row seat, 36/15.

Thus, the ML320 beat the MDX slightly for cargo room behind the front row, while the MDX beat the ML320 behind the second row.

Thus, while the MDX is wider and very nearly 8" longer, the ML320 is certainly no slouch in the useable cargo volume wars, as the numbers above show. The MDX's second row seats do not fold down perfectly flat, leaving somewhat of a slope going to the first row, thus losing some useful cargo room.
  • rxcurerxcure Member Posts: 33
    I'm an RX owner so it's easy for me to provide objective comments on the ML / MDX cargo debate. I studied both vehicles and found the MDX has noticeably more useful room for the typical user (ie typical family). The key measure for most families is the cargo room with the second row in use. Here, William's beer case stats are a useful piece of data -- 20 cases for the MDX vs. 15 for the ML. That's 33% more room for the MDX. If you need lots of cargo room, get the MDX. (For completeness, I'm sure the RX has less than ML, and X5 would be even less.) Vehicles in this class have just a bit of cargo space with 3 rows in use. You need a roof-top cargo carrier and some small passengers if you intend to use these for a 7-person trip where people are bringing cargo. If you have a 5-person family, vehicles in this class can be more useful than all but the largest minivans, as the popular minivans generally require 3 rows of seating to fit 5 people (Chrysler I believe allows you to reconfigure seats to fit 5 with 2 rows, but middle seat user gets stuck with lap-belt only), whereas the SUV needs only 2 rows. This applies in spades to the MDX, is largely true for the ML, is only a little true for the RX, and is not applicable to X5.
    Good discussion. FWIW, the X5 3.0i had 26/13 in the beer case test, the QX4 27/16, and the 2000 RX300 30/13.