Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Montana Electrical Issues

1235»

Comments

• pblauveltpblauvelt Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I have a 2006 Pontiac montana. About a month or more ago I had a cup of chocolate milk in my cup holders that pull out from under the radio. I went over a huge bump and the liquid went up on to the controls above. I dried it and cleaned it within 10 minutes after it happened. The buttons were still a tad "sticky" and at first the radio didn't want to turn on, but after a short time it did and all was ok except some of the buttons on the radio were still not working. Shortly after that, I noticed our dvd player in the back kept turning on and making noises when it was shut off, nothing we could do would stop it, and we couldn't find a fuse for it. NOW I am having an even larger problem. I went to back out today and all of a sudden my horn went off...not just "beep beep beep", but "beeeeeeeeeeeeeep" a continuous honk, then my inside light went on and it kept dinging like the door was open. We pulled back in and pulled the fuse on the horn first....we couldn't think with that thing going....then we disconnected the battery and left it disconnected for some time....but everytime we connect the battery back up it keeps dinging and my lights keep flashing, it won't start either, when i try and turn it over, it's just dead silence. I don't know what to do, I need my van, its my only mode of transportation, but I can't afford to have it towed in and have a mechanic look at it. Any "easy" suggestions?
  • maddog0324maddog0324 Member Posts: 55
    It sounds like your problem is either in the radio or HVAC controller. Both of these units communicate to the BCM, which controls your lighting, horn, wipers, entertainment systems, climate control, etc. Since the HVAC module is located below the radio, it probably took a good dose of liquid too. You might want to see if you can pull any codes with a scan tool to isolate the cause.
  • alwaysfixinalwaysfixin Member Posts: 1
    Last week, my 2002 Montana (95,000 km) wouldn't start. The starter turned the engine over for less than a second, then it quit. After that, the starter would whir & click. The tow truck driver who gave me a boost suggested replacing the battery. I pulled off the fuse box and noticed the battery still had the "green eye", implying it was fully charged. I checked the voltage and there was 12.45 V across the terminals. So, at this point, I'm thinking the original problem is more likely to be the starter.

When I was putting it back together and connecting the fuse box, there was a spark. Now, nothing works. I would suspect a fusible link except for something strange. There are intermittent clicking noises coming from behind the instrument and sometimes there is a slight whirring sound accompanied by the instrument needles (gas gauge, speedometer, etc) jumping backwards, below zero. This happens with the key out of the ignition. So, that means there must be some power to the instrument panel and it must be anomalous electrical activity.

So, now I'm stumped. Some control module?
  • ronieconroniecon Member Posts: 2
    It is possible it is the body control module,,but really? I suspect the ignition switch,reason being,you where have a problem with the starter,maybe a low voltage occurring in the switch from wear.This would be the electrical part of the ignition switch,not the lock and key.When you shorted the circuit ,it may have melted the contacts together in the ignition switch.,but the body control module is very likey,seeing it has voltage with key off going to all these circuits.Anyway 12.45 voltage is good if there is at least ,500 amps in the battery(should be more).There is a possibility the starter contacts are worn,and you need a new starter,but there is a starter relay on the same side as the battery ,connected to the radiator(small relay).These are bad to give problems such as yours.
  • torichardstorichards Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    I have a 2000 Pontiac Montana Luxury edition. Recently the power locks stopped working. The fuse is still good. The strange part is that the power locks work if I use my key remote button though. Any ideas?

Also, I'm not sure if it is related or not, but my rear power windows have stopped working too.
  • torichardstorichards Member Posts: 2
  • npenneynpenney Member Posts: 1
    i got a 2006 pontiac montana SV6 that won't even turn over it says on the dash that the starting is disabled can anyone tell me what is my problem is
  • tony17112acsttony17112acst Member Posts: 35
    My 2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 radio is now turning off and back on randomly. Some days it's every 5 seconds and others it's 10 minutes. It makes listening IMPOSSIBLE. I can hear the DVD reset each time too.

Anyone know what causes this; I can't be the only one with the problem.

CLUES:
    (1) Its power is lost totally, NOT the radio only just going off and on; the backlit light goes out;
    (2) When power is returned, the radio comes back on if it was on to begin with, and stays off if the radio was off when the power was lost. So somehow it remembers to turn the radio on or off depending upon the status when it lost power.
    (3) If I bang the sides, I get no correlation to me banging, so it doesn't look like a loose connector.
  • tony17112acsttony17112acst Member Posts: 35
    OK, I may have figured it out. I always noticed that when my radio had been going off, the dome light would be flickering. I also noticed other lighted things flickering like the dashboard area. THEN I noticed that the volts were at 15 - 15.9 on occasion. So after searching, I equated my problem with the common flickering headlight problem everyone has.

I then replaced my regulator ($40 at Oreilly online) and now the radio has stopped malfunctioning! My dome lights aren't flickering anymore and the volts look to be in range (13.8-14.5)!!

You can find direction on the web on how to replace the regulator. DO NOT REMOVE the belt, or the bolts to the alternator. Leave the alternator completely the way it is, you can reach the screws to the regulator perfectly fine. The common directions have you doing things that are a colossal waste of time and impossible to accomplish (even removing the motor mounts to rotate the entire engine)!!
  • lindap4lindap4 Member Posts: 1

I have a 99 Montana n the lighter tail lights n dash lights went out n the fuse box diagram specify not a thing about where the fuse goes. Is there a fuse for this?

• rochellecrochellec Member Posts: 1

We have a 2004 Montana EXT. We noticed that that when braking or using the turn signals.. That the radio and over head display would flicker. A few days ago all of the display lighting and the radio display no longer work. The instruments and radio work, we just have no lighting or display on the radio. I also noticed that when I get out of the van that I get a light 'shock' touching the door to shut it. I have seen in other posts that there is something to do with a rear harness? I would love to hear if anyone else has had this problem and if they were able to fix the problem. I do love my Montana.. Just really irritated that I can not see the display at night or see what channel is on the radio. note I have noticed that if the sun hits the radio display just right.. you can see the display. So, I know it is working.. just not illuminated.

• diannatrdiannatr Member Posts: 1
    We removed the fuse for the high speed blower because it was going on even when the key was out. Since then our power windows and power door locks won't work. We put the fuse back and it doesn't help. The high speed setting on the blower works again but the windows and locks are still not operating!
  • gibbyzdashizgibbyzdashiz Member Posts: 2
    ksix said:

This is my first time posting a message. Sorry I forget to give the make & model. 1999 Chevy Venture LS with 150 miles

• gibbyzdashizgibbyzdashiz Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 2001 Montana and I've got a few problems with it my 1st problem when I turn it off the running lights and tail lights are staying on. It was occasionally but tonight I couldn't get them to go off at all.and the dash lights also stay on. My 2nd problem is since I bought it a few months ago the gas gauge has read full so I've been going by the mimileage.I seen some answers in other peoples remarks that might be helpful to me but I just want to make sure that I have the same problem the ABS and the tra ton control active light comes on occasionally also. 3rd and final problem ill bother you guys with is my automatic sliding door has a mind of its own and sometimes it opens with the button and other times it doesn't and we just have to pull it really hard to open it. If anyone can give me any advice on what to do is really appreciate it. Thank you so very much