Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 vs MB M Class vs Acura MDX vs Lexus RX 350 vs BMW X5 vs Cadillac SRX

Comments

• pitn1777pitn1777 Member Posts: 15
    I was all set to pick up the MDX, when my daughters (we've got 6) all ganged up on mom to get her to test drive the RX 300.

She drove it, she likes it and I found a good deal on a new 2002 w/ Premium Package, etc..

I'm really confused (lol), but my wife has to be one to like it. I prefer the styling of the MDX, but I have to admit that the Lexus does ride great, etc.

Any words of advice again?

Thanks.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The RX300 will give the smoother, softer ride, while the MDX will have better handling and faster acceleration. In general, Lexus service is usually better than Acura service, though there are variations on a dealer-by-dealer basis. The RX300 can be bought at prices around invoice, while the MDX still commands MSRP (at least in general). The MDX has more passenger and cargo room, while the Lexus should be a notch higher in quality. The MDX will get a few incremental upgrades for 2003, while the RX300 is destined to be replaced by a next-generation model, possibly for the 2004 model year.

As always, it comes down to what you want in your vehicle and your priorities. If your wife is locked in on one vehicle, perhaps that's a priority :).
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Looks like an edgy (yet very handsome), RWD Buick Rendezvous with the gas cap on the wrong side.

With a tasteful interior (not CTS!), CTS inspired handling, and high output engine, it will be a great SUV.
  • grumbgrumb Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2K RX with 53000 miles on it and I love it. The lease is up in Jan and although I would love to replace it with a new one (It is that good a vehicle), I am leaning toward an '03 MDX. The reasons are quite simple. Lexus is leaving the RX alone for '03 and running it for only 6 months or so and then replacing it with the RX330 as an '04 in April. The new RX will not have a third row seat, which I now want. So, due to timing of lease expiration and features; I am probably getting the MDX based on what I read, and the test drive.
    As far as I am concerned, the RX is a phenomenal vehicle. I average over 20 mpg in combined driving and I have had 0 problems since acquiring the vehicle in 9/99. I love the smooth ride and yet have enough room for family ski trips and other outings. So depending on your circumstance, I don't think you will go wrong with either vehicle- Hope that helps
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    The new RX will have a 3rd row.
  • dearadeara Member Posts: 9
    have 1800 miles on my 02rx-300 fwd and I want to change the oil before my 5000 mile free service. I'm planning a trip this weekend 300 miles each way and I plan to have the oil changed when I return. I read some earlier discussions about this. any updates or thoughts on the need to do this with this model year?
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    That explains it's height.

Caddy claims best in class 2nd row legroom!

Do the headlights and fog lights have to be made into one big light?

The 2004 RX is NOT expected to have a third row of seats, as it would hinder sales of the GX470, for those looking for 3 rows, at less cost than a LX470.

whotheman
  • pitn1777pitn1777 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the information. Although I personally liked the styling of the MDX better than the RX, we did get the RX. After all it's my wife's vehicle and she has to be happy,etc..

Since the purchase, I'm really pleased with the Lexus service. The dealer is within 10 minutes of the house, complimentary car washes any time we desire; loaner cars, etc...

And after driving the RX for a couple of days while my wife is out of town, I'm really beginning to appreciate this vehicle.

Thanks for your input and you'll probably enjoy the new MDX as well. Have you heard about the new Lexus/Forerunner?
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    Closer inspection of the two photo-links of the SRX, provided in the above post, reveals that they are the same photo of the same vehicle, only one of the photos has been "reversed" or miror-imaged. The one on the Caddy site has had the backround edited out. I think that's the photo that is mirror-imaged.

Notice that square "nodule" on the front bumber(not sure what it's for...radar cruise control maybe?), it's on the right side in one photo, and the left in the other. Notice the same thing with the gas cap door; on the driver's side of the vehicle in one photo, the passenger side in the other.

So, the question is, which photo is "right side right?"

Also, wotheman, the SRX is built on the Sigma platform, the same used for the CTS and the upcoming new STS. The SRX has no relation to the Rendevoux in terms of parts/platforms.

I also thought the SRX was to have ride-height adjustable suspension, however it does not say that it does. However, the magnetic suspension whould make it really have a great ride while still handling like a sports enthusiast vehicle (the 50th anniversary Corvette has this sustpension, as will the Caddy XLR roadster)
  • cadman88cadman88 Member Posts: 75
    The Rendezvous is on GM's U platform, the same as the minivans, (one reason why they have the same engine). The SRX will be availble in both RWD and AWD, maybe that is what you heard about the suspinsion.
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    No, I believe the Vizon concept vehicle, from which the SRX is based, has a height adjustable suspension. That's probably why I thought the SRX would too. Although I could have sworn I read somewhere that the SRX would have it. It's not like it's an impossible or unlikely technology. The Audi Allroad has it.

I think the SRX will do very well. It's looks are nice, and certainly in line with this vehicle group. With the choice of V6 or V8, RWD or AWD, and three rows of seats, it seems there will be a configuration that will match almost all possible desires among potential customers.

I am very surprised to hear that the RX330 will not have a 3rd row seat. I think Lexus is probably making a mistake here. They probably will have one too many vehicles in their SUV lineup with the addition of the new GX470 (is that what it's called?). Cadillac had a chance to have a third level SUV in the form of a "Cadillacized" Olds Bravada, and they planned to do it for a while, but then they decided not to, and the Bravada goes to Buick. I think Caddy realized that with the SRX and the Escalade, they don't need anything in the middle.

Seems as though Lexus maybe didn't think this one through too well, and they'll have vehicles that are competing with one another in their own showrooms, or they'll loose sales to competitors from people who want an RX330 size vehicle but want a 3rd row seat.
    www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=28993

"Bigger external dimensions give greater flexibility inside - freeing up more boot space and allowing for the addition of two extra seats. This makes the RX350 a bigger threat to seven-seat rivals such as the Mercedes M-Class and Land Rover Discovery."

I'd like to see any other sources that say otherwise.
  • maransmmaransm Member Posts: 29
    Finallyyyyy... I have chosen MDX after spending 4 months to find the "right" one for me. I just put my deposit and ordered for 2003 MDX Touring Silver/Ebony.

Thanks to all of you for sharing excellent informations here..
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Does the 03 have HID, VSC, or Trac?
  • grumbgrumb Member Posts: 21
    Diploid: Look at posts 16-19 on the RX330 Board. This was also confirmed by my dealer after speaking to his Regional Manager ( at least that's what I've been told.) I notice your source is from the UK; could there be different release plans then in the US?
    Probably - the Isuzu Trooper is available with a 3rd row in other countries.

But usually, the UK gets the smaller engine while NA gets the bigger one. If they say 3.5L (RX350) instead of 3.3L, I would assume it's for the NA market.

P.S. - Where is the RX330 forum? I looked at 16-19 in the RX300 forum, so it's not that one (but I did see postings from host Drew, LOL).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's in Future Vehicles (that new board). Here's the link:

Lexus RX 330

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• rx300_99xrx300_99x Member Posts: 2
    i just completed a 1500 mile road trip with my wife and 2 children in our 4 month old mdx. the leased mdx replaced a leased rx300.

we never would have contemplated such a long trip in the rx300 without the 3rd row. it made an enormous difference - the kids could sit together in the back row and watch a dvd, or sit separately in the 2nd and 3rd rows when they weren't getting along so well. we folded the 2nd row down and set up a laptop computer to view the dvds, tilting the screen to overcome the incline of the 2nd row. i used a soft kanga pouch on the roof to hold luggage when the 3rd row was in use. one note about the pouch - i was restricted to using the smallest, 8 cubic foot pouch because of the mdx's fixed racks - they really should be adjustable.

one difference i have noted is the behavior of the cars at highway speeds - i did not feel comfortable driving the mdx above 65mph when it was loaded with people and/or luggage - whereas the rx300 feels comfortable at any speed. but 65mph is fast enough for most situations anyway.
    X5 next.

And let us know.
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    Last summer my wife and I plus our two kids took a 10 day vacation in my '01 BMW X5. Our trip covered 800 miles and 7 Colorado mountain passes. I also played movies for the kids --instead of hearing "are we there yet?" we heard "put in another movie". A couple observations: the most common complaint about the X5 is cargo space, yet I managed to pack enough junk for 4 people over 10 days. And everything fit below the cargo cover (I know 'cuz I closed it). Some say that only the V8 delivers power, yet I was FLYING up and down twisting mountain passes...let's just say that I easily exceeded every posted speed limit and was never lacking for power.

The X5 felt just as smooth and quiet above 90mph as it did below 50. On one stretch of 2 lane highway on the high planes along 285 I came up on a forming caravan. This happens when the lead vehicle is barely making 60 (towing) and is joined by a couple others that don't have enough juice to pass. It was easy for the straight six to move me from 60 up over 90 and get outta there. (It was some time before I saw cars in the mirror again.)

Other things worth mentioning: rain-sensing wipers were GREAT, so was dual-zone climate control (back seat also has cc). Something the reviewers NEVER pick up on is the lighting at night. Under each door is a light which illuminated the ground under our feet getting out -- comes in handy out in the boonies.
    The only turn-off for me is the BLACK dash top and steering wheel. The 2.5 TON weight bothers me a bit too, but as you say the six handles it well.

Thanks.

Does it REALLY not have bi-xenons?

I'm in the process of converting my RXes HIDs to bi-level, maybe I should tackle the X5 next.
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    I suppose the black dash/wheel could be a problem in that it might hamper your color choice(s); for me it was a non-issue as I wanted a black interior. Weight? All these vehicles are heavy.

Bi-xenons? No. When you convert to bi-xenons, what happens to the "flash" functionality? In other words, if you pull back on the stick to flash the brights, will it be effective? My xenons take a moment to warm up and I don't see how they'd be available instantly.
    you still have a halogen HB bulb, for flashing, and actual HB use, but the HIDs "rotate" upward about 6 degrees with HB on.

Porsche 996, ML, etc.

And no, insofar as I know it doesn't hinder my color choices, it just doesn't blend in and therefore isn't pleasing to the eye.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    In the Pine Barrens of NJ. Check out http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb-09-21-02/index.html for details. It's a very tame/beginner trailride. All are welcome to come on down and join the fun and get your SUVs dirty!

-mike

• rihoopsrihoops Member Posts: 91
    My wife and I took our MDX on a 2000 mile roundtrip tour of the eastern seaboard this summer, with our 1 year old son and had a great time in the MDX. We traveled at about 75 mph and the MDX was great.
  • mouseonlinemouseonline Member Posts: 47
    Deal masters,
    After reading all these boards, I am still confufed.
    Here is what I am looking for:
    1. Reliable,
    2. comfortable,
    3. 3rd row seat
    5. nice looking
    6. under $50,000.
    7. mostly for on-road.

Which SUV is for me?
  • ttboy1ttboy1 Member Posts: 1
    MDX (raised odyssey) is the one for you. It does 1,2,3,6, and 7 very well. As you already know, looks are highly subjective. I personally prefer the rugged look, i.e. D90
  • rihoopsrihoops Member Posts: 91
  • sstclairssstclairs Member Posts: 4
    For mouseonline, looks are subjective, but the MDX has everything else, with the '03 about $42K, loaded (well, not with silly stuff like wood steering wheels).

Two others with all criteria, are the Lexus GX470 ($50K loaded) and Volvo XC90 ($48K loaded), but both are brand new and subject to 1st year reliability issues (the Volvo more so than the Lexus).

Personally, I'm torn between getting an '03 MDX now vs. waiting a year on the XC90.
  • stockeystockey Member Posts: 40
    The Kia Sorento now is a contender in this class.
    Close examination of the Sorento reveals that it lacks a fancy emblem on the hood, and costs less than $30,000...two heinous violations of the "look at me, aren't you impressed?" lifestyle.
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    I don't like Kias. They are cheaply made. This past Saturday, my Honda Civic was blocked in by construction workers Metro Water Service due to repairing undergound water leak.

I drove the Sophia, my mothers, and that car's ride is harsh. The doors when slammed is loud. There is not enough instrumentation on the dash and the material quality pretty much sucks. The the engine is pretty loud at 70-80mpr and the stereo is pretty week.

When I drove my Honda the next day, I finally realized that you appreciate your car a little better. Us human beings at times take our cars for granted on some things and sometimes don't like our cars (that is you are driving right now that you really don't care--not your dream car) until you get the repair bill or drive someone else's car inferior to yours.

J "CaddyLac"
    "They are cheaply made...and that car's ride is harsh. The doors when slammed is loud. There is not enough instrumentation on the dash and the material quality pretty much sucks. The the engine is pretty loud at 70-80mpr and the stereo is pretty week."

Funny, that's a pretty fair description of the Honda Civic too ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No offense, Stockey, but our editors don't think most people will be comparing the Sorento to the 5 makes being compared here (link).

And the Civic isn't one of the models being discussed in here either (hint <g>).

Steve, Host

• mrcsgirl1mrcsgirl1 Member Posts: 1
    Just learning about Edmunds.com and the town hall, but as a proud GM employee, looking forward to future discussions!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! We're looking forward to hearing more from you.

tidester, host
    anything about the caddy, but the RX300 isn't truly an SUV that belongs in this class, its AWD ISN'T!
  • mouseonlinemouseonline Member Posts: 47
    With its arkward rear swing door it reminds me too much of a hearse and then I discovered the rear quarter panel wing swing out windows are manually operated. Salesman said something had to be given up so as not to steal LX sales.

I'd buy a V6 4runner limited and remove the running boards first.
  • hopeitsfridayhopeitsfriday Member Posts: 396
    Am I the only one who is a little disappointed with the RX330 redesign model. The re-design model look almost identical to the old one except for the D pillar. The only standard improvement was 10 more horse power, not a big deal at all. Most of upgrades in the RX330 are in the optional category. I am a true believer that when one buys a $40,000 car, they should not have to buy options at all. Lexus like MB are offering leathers seats as an option. Come on Lexus, a $40,000 car with cloth seats, get real.
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    There seems to be quite a bit of info about the "gross picture", but with production still expected to begin in 6 months or so, I would expect more details.

Found this at http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/030106-1.htm

"...Based on the 2001 Vizon concept vehicle, the SRX is available in both rear-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive configurations. GM says it has the longest wheelbase in its class, a near 50-50 weight distribution, and a low centre of gravity.

The SRX is offered with two engines: the next-generation 4.6 litre Northstar V8 VVT (Variable Valve Timing) and the all-new 3.6 litre V6 VVT. The 4.6 litre, 32-valve V8 Northstar engine, extensively re-engineered and mounted longitudinally, generates 315 horsepower at 6400 rpm and 310 lbs.-ft. of torque at 4400 rpm. The 3.6 litre V6 VVT makes 260 (preliminary) horsepower at 6500 rpm and 252 lbs.-ft. of torque at 2800 rpm.

Both engines will be mated to five-speed automatic transmissions with Driver Shift Control (which offers clutchless manual shifting), electronically controlled engine braking, downgrade detection with brake assist, and 'Performance Algorithm Liftfoot'.

SRX features include the latest four-channel StabiliTrak active suspension control and a segment-first Magnetic Ride Control. GM says the electronically controlled magnetic-fluid based real time damping is the world's fastest reacting suspension control system. Speed sensitive variable effort steering, four-channel ABS with Panic Brake Assist and traction control and available AWD also are included.

The SRX incorporates all-aluminum suspension components to reduce unsprung mass and optimize suspension performance. The SRX suspension system uses an independent short/long arm (SLA) up front and fully independent multi-link in the rear for superior ride and handling.

With its long wheelbase, the SRX will seat up to seven passengers with the optional third row seat. The second row seat, with the most legroom in its class, folds virtually flat, and the third row seat power-folds into the floor at the push of a button - a first in the medium luxury utility segment. Vehicles not equipped with the optional third-row seat can have a cargo management system integrated into the rear floor.

Nearly all of the vehicle's interior space can be illuminated with daylight by the largest sunroof system available in the segment. The optional "UltraView" roof extends to provide more than five square feet of open air over the first and second row seats and integrates a retractable power shade. The "UltraView Plus" includes a vented glass roof over the third row seat.

The SRX will be manufactured at Lansing Grand River Assembly in Lansing, Michigan, which builds the CTS sedan. ..."
    Definitely a worthy contender, ON PAPER. Really wonder how reliable this thing will be with so many 'all new' systems...

Time line SEEMS to be structured to ensure adequate shake-out, still would NOT want to be "first on my block" to own one.

REALLY really curious about MPG, WIDTH(if narrower than MDX, than what is max./min. cargo width AT FLOOR {MDX can't hold 4x8 sheet goods flat on floor, Pilot can} , AIR BAGS, NAVI-system , Headlights (?Xenon, ?Bi-Xenon, ?curve following) ...

The elimination of the RX300's always flaccid VC with the substitution of VSC/Trac controlled torque distribution in the RX330 (via brake modulation and engine control/dethrottling) puts the RX, FINALLY, in the SUV class of the X5 and the ML.

And with the announcement of 18" wheels as an option we can be fairly certain that rear, or front AND rear, snowchains can be used. Eliminating the FWD torque biasing problem, HAZARDS, with front chain capability ONLY.

I'll accept the "looks" as a fair tradeoff for actual AWD functionality any day.

Now if they'd just fix, simply reprogram, the climate control and the GPS/Nav systems I'd be a really happy camper.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    There's a review of Infiniti FX45. The mini comparo pitting it against V8 versions of Touareg, ML & X5 puts the FX at the head of every performance category.

There's also a review of Nissan Murano. I think the closest SUV to the Murano is RX330, because both are big on style and have very little off road pretensions. Even though RX is very good & gonna continue its success, Murano has it beat on style, performance and price.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    mariner7, Style is something you can debate until the sun dies out and you won't get a inch further. IMO, the Murano is definately a strong styling statement, but the Murano can't compete with the RX330. The Murano just looks "cheaper". On performance, the Murano only has about a 15bhp advantage. Not that much IMO. And from the reviews I've been reading, it comes nowhere near the RX330 in terms of ride quality. Not to mention the Murano interior is just like the Altima-cheap.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    the RX330 is horrile looking, its even worse than the current model. Why can't lexus make an attractive vehicle? They did not increase the power on the RX330 enough if you ask me. It is outpowered by everying in its class.
  • hopeitsfridayhopeitsfriday Member Posts: 396
    When Nissan designed the Murano, its was design to shock people. Its design is definitely not mainstream. Like many designs that are very provocative, such as the Chrysler PT Cruiser or the BMW Z3, some will be successful and some will not be. If you look at the sales numbers, the Murano will not be very successful. One can go to any Nissan dealer now a days and get one for about $500 or $1000 over the invoice price. Its styling is way too weird for me. The outside of the SUV is retro looking, but the inside looks like you have climb into a space ship. Like all Nissan products, it high on horse power but short on quality.
    The RX330 re-design was very disappointing in my opinion. Why even brother to re-design a vehicle if it looks just like the last one. The new and old looks almost the same except for the D pillar. They added bunch of features such as 18 inch wheels and sport suspension, but it all comes at a cost. If I pay $40,000 for a car, I do not want to see a list of options that is like 5 pages long. A car in that price range should have all those options come standard and try to keep its option list short.