Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Under hood noise sounds like a bad alternator bearing but its not. Dodge Ram 1500

verneamverneam Member Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in Dodge

2005 dodge ram 1500 4.7L engine , automatic trans, with ac, noise only appears after engine is fully warmed have checked all pulleys replaced water pump and fan clutch, noise also continues for a few seconds after engine is turned off. Noise is high pitched whine, any ideas? Have checked tensioner and idler pulleys, and changed belt. What can make this noise after engine has stopped rotating ?

Answers

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

@verneam said:

Noise is high pitched whine, any ideas? Have checked tensioner and idler pulleys, and changed belt. What can make this noise after engine has stopped rotating ?

I am not an expert on other than certain GM, but let me jump in till someone that knows will post here.

Vacuum leak. I don't know the arrangement on a Dodge engine, but on the engine I'm familiar with, 3800 GM, the PCV can be put in without the external o-ring around the body and will cause a rushing noise or one described as a whine because it pulls a vacuum on the crankcase.

A test is to unscrew the oil filler tube with the engine running and influx of air to fill the vacuum caused by the volume of air sucked around the PCV will cause the engine to die, or at least you feel a great suction if you put your hand over the filler opening.

Check for aged, cracked rubber parts that carry vacuum externally on the engine.

Good luck.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• verneamverneam Member Posts: 3

hmm sounds more like a bearing to me, but anything is possible, i will look this morning, thank you for taking the time and leaving a reply.

• verneamverneam Member Posts: 3

As much as i would have loved it to be a vacuum leak one can not be found, any other ideas?