Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Those all are great choices, but I don't think the poster specified MT. All of them are available in automatic or CVT. I have the Honda Accord CVT and actually can't tell the difference from an AT, so I wouldn't let that put you off. And if you want good fuel economy, most CVTs are better than most AT vehicles. Really drive a few and see what you like best and feel is the best bang for your buck.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725

For $17K, you can probably get a 2010 GTI...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142

A reporter would like to speak to a recent car buyer/shopper who delayed purchasing their car because of the cold weather. If inclement weather prevented you from buying a new or used car earlier this year, please send your daytime contact info to [email protected] no later than Tuesday, 4/29/14 at 8 a.m. PT/11 a.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

@suydam said:
    Those all are great choices, but I don't think the poster specified MT. All of them are available in automatic or CVT. I have the Honda Accord CVT and actually can't tell the difference from an AT, so I wouldn't let that put you off. And if you want good fuel economy, most CVTs are better than most AT vehicles. Really drive a few and see what you like best and feel is the best bang for your buck.

No, he didn't say MT... but didn't specify automatic-only either. So I was giving my 2 cents on that subject. I think the stick is the way to go on all the cars I listed with the exception of the 2015 Fit. I've read that 6th gear is the same ratio as 5th on the current Fit, so RPMs (and engine noise) won't benefit from the extra cog. And those were the main reasons I didn't get a Fit a few years ago (got a used 328Ci instead :) ). So engine noise and RPMs should be significantly reduced with the CVT... as will the fun. :'(

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,669

I'd go for a Fit or a base Mazda 3.

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738

I've driven the Mazda and Fit and Focus and... I drove them all 9 months ago. And they all were like comparing different brands of American Cheese. After a while, it was nit-picking over small differences and none of them really felt like anything more than an econobox. My advice is get whatever is cheapest for the level of equipment that you get. Note that the number of gears in the transmission means nothing in a car this small as the 6th gear in most of them is designed to get high EPA ratings alone and never ever useful for anything other than perfectly flat pavement.

Myself, I personally would get a base model (zero options) Mustang as one can be had for $19K and comes with the same options as most upper-trim economy cars. If you're just looking at yourself or two people in it, you'll never even care about the rear seat. It's what I bought since I only had a budget of $20K and wanted the most power and fun that I could manage. Dirt cheap fun for only a couple of thousand more than a basic Corolla.

Note - you can also get a Camaro from time to time for $20K and a Challenger for $22K... All three are amazing deals for the money if you're just using it to get yourself around.

• bbqplsbbqpls Member Posts: 2

Thank you everyone for the input. I haven't driven MT in 11 years so probably will stay with the AT or CVT. I will be trying all the suggested cars I can get my hands on in the next week and let you know the outcome. (The short list so far: civic, accord, fit, focus, golf, mazda3, elantra).

Out of curiosity, no one mentioned a Toyota or Nissan. Would this be due to the recall rate lately? Or would there be other variables?

No, Corolla is fine, but Toyotas tend to be pricey even used. And unless you get the new one they are not as good on fuel economy as the others. Stellar reliability as always. And you might look at the Versa as it will be cheap and gets great gas mileage. I didn't mention them because you asked us to narrow the list so most of us went with 2 or 3 top vehicles.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516

I agree with kyfdx

I'd seriously consider a 5 door used GTI for that kind of money. Full load with nav, leather, dsg auto, 200hp turbo, and you'll probably have money left for a good extended warranty, and it should come in at around $20k.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516

@bbqpls said:
    Thank you everyone for the input. I haven't driven MT in 11 years so probably will stay with the AT or CVT. I will be trying all the suggested cars I can get my hands on in the next week and let you know the outcome. (The short list so far: civic, accord, fit, focus, golf, mazda3, elantra).

Out of curiosity, no one mentioned a Toyota or Nissan. Would this be due to the recall rate lately? Or would there be other variables?

I think it's because there isn't anything exciting from Nissan or Toyota. Maybe the Juke might fit the bill but it's tiny and pricey. There are so many other more fun choices from other brands in my opinion.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

@plekto said:
    I've driven the Mazda and Fit and Focus and... I drove them all 9 months ago.

You didn't drive the 2015 Fit 9 months ago. :) And it's an all-new design, more power, CVT vs. regular automatic.

And 9 months ago, was the redesigned 2014 Mazda3 out? I think it arrived here only about 7 months ago. If you drove a 2013 Mazda3, it's a different car than the 2014.

But I knew the Mustang would show up eventually! ;)

Well, Ford incentives are large. It's like how GM used to build Toyotas side by side at the old NUUMI plant and then you could get the GM version for thousands less. The differences between all of these are minor. But the incentives are not.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142

A reporter would like to speak to a car shopper under the age of 34 who is unsure whether you should lease or buy. If this is you, please send your daytime contact info to [email protected] by Friday, May 2, 2014 at 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jclendejclende Member Posts: 1

I’m trying to decide between a 2011-2012 Acura TSX, Infiniti G25, or Volvo S60. I’m primarily interested in a reliable car that will be fun to drive and have good features/tech. Any advice?

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited May 2014

jclende: What's your budget in terms of $? c. 25k??

I personally would go with the Acura of the choices on your list. You could, however, get a brand-new 2014 Accord EX for that price which would probably have better tech, and would definitely get higher mpg....

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • narcisissmanarcisissma Member Posts: 1

Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to decide between the 2014 Mazda 3 iTouring and the 2015 Honda Fit EX. From what I understand they are both excellent cars receiving high reviews. I've test driven the Mazda, and I really enjoyed it. I can't test drive the Honda yet because no dealers around me will get them in for at least another two weeks. For now I've decided to put my decision on hold until I can drive the Honda, but I still thought it would be a worthy question to ask. I'm pretty confident that most of my decision-making process revolves around apples to oranges comparisons, namely style versus utility. The Mazda is super sexy although I've been driving a 1999 Toyota Corolla for about 12 years, so pretty much everything on the market right now is sexy to me. Still I'm trying not to let the Mazda dazzle me so much that I ignore the utility of the Fit. The Fit is an odd-looking creature, yes, but it has high reliability ratings, and the cargo space is unmatched for a small car. Is there anything I'm missing that would make one car a much better decision than the other, or am I right that it pretty much boils down to personal priorities?

You're correct that this an apples-to-oranges comparison, in some respects. But they are both small, fuel-efficient hatchbacks, so maybe not so odd a comparison. And in fact I have both on my list when I get my next car in 2016, except I'd go for a previous-gen Mazda3i with Skyactiv and a base Fit.

You really need to take each car for a long test drive, preferably back-to-back, to get an idea which you'd be happiest living with every day. I haven't driven the new Fit yet, but I've driven the new Mazda3i and I loved it. (But I loved the old Mazda3 too.) The Fit might be fun to drive too, but I'd be surprised if it were as fun to drive as the Mazda3. It could come down to how important cargo utility is for you vs. ride & drive. You didn't mention whether you want stick or automatic, but if automatic then it's the Mazda3's excellent 6-speed vs. the new CVT in the Fit. Some people don't like the feel of a CVT and they can sap performance, but maybe Honda did a good job on this CVT.

One potentially big factor is that the Mazda3i Touring hatch is over $2500 more list price than the Fit EX.

• stevel10stevel10 Member Posts: 1

Can someone tell me which one is a better choice - these are the options from private listings:
    1. 2009 Toyota Yaris 3 door hatchback, 31K mileage - price obo $9500
    2. 2008 Honda Civic sedan, 71K mileage - price obo $10500

Both cars are garage kept and in good conditions. Nothing special about their additional options - both of them are basically base models. The prices are within the range of KBB and NADA.
    My budget is to spend max $10K.

I am a student who mostly needs to go from point A to B (my apartment is close to campus) but I might want to travel around states during holidays. Gas saver and low maintenance costs are my top priorities. Size is not my priority because I just need the car for myself.

This is going to be my first car and I just recently learn driving. Any suggestions?
    Thanks so much!

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

steve10: Go with the Honda if you can afford it. A Civic is a much better car imho than a Yaris.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)

Agreed. A Civic is much more of a car, and will be safer in an accident, too.

• cherri4cherri4 Member Posts: 7

Go for Intrigue its nice.

• ruthvik819ruthvik819 Member Posts: 4

Hello everyone, I am planning to lease a lexus 2014 IS250 F sport for 27 month, 10,000miles/year. msrp of the vehicle is $45,482. adjusted price $39,682. I am leasing the car in New York. the deal I got was $2700 down including everything and $300/month. can you please let me know how good the deal is ?

• wheels29wheels29 Member Posts: 34

Hi, can you help me choose a car to buy based on my criteria? I recently accepted a new job out of town (it's a local area trucking job), and my 22 year old Ford truck is not suited for the commute. I want to buy a new car this week. But my time to do research is limited. I am hoping some of you here are knee-deep in research, and can share what you know. My price range is 16K-18K. I want the most car I can get after rebates and special incentives. I have excellent credit so I will be able to qualify for 0% financing if it is offered. My first choice of vehicle would be a Ford truck, but I just don't think I will be able to make that happen. My second choice of vehicle would be a sedan, Camry is a good example. If I can't make a full-sized sedan a reality, then a mid-sized sedan would be next, such as the Chevy Cruze. If I must settle for a compact car, then I really want one that gives me the most bang for my buck. Something that is on-sale, and offers great incentives. Thank you for your help. My Google search for "best car deals in July" really did not help much.

You might want to start here. http://editorial.autos.msn.com/best-cars-under-dollar20000#1
    Honda Fit or something like Kia Soul. Also check out Hyundai Elantra.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

First thing to do is to decide what car you want. If price is the main concern, I think the Nissan Versa or the Smart4Two are the cheapest cars sold in the U.S.

That doesn't mean they're good cars (they aren't), just the cheapest. I would also look at how much they cost to operate and repair, as that figures into it as well.

From what has been suggested, I think a Honda Fit is a good idea. It's versatile. It's very reliable (Hondas always are) and likely to last a long time, It's inexpensive to operate, too.

Look here...http://www.edmunds.com/tco.html?mktcat=tco&kw=true+cost+to+own&mktid=ga56677242&gclid=CjwKEAjw9LKeBRDurOugs43jnlgSJACUXqHx0OTyseVCiiM8ps88tf3EF_8Mg43oNMVoCpRpns8HSRoCB2Dw_wcB

Not sure about financing these days. I know up until a few years ago, a dealer could finance just about anyone for anything with no money down. But, I understand things have tightened up just as quickly. So, probably not a bad idea to scrape together at least 10% down before walking into a dealership.

Even a lease is going to require first month's payment, license fees, lease inception fees, etc.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863

well, of course, a lease doesn't REQUIRE you put that money down. You can roll it into the payment.

Browse truecar.com to get an idea of street prices.

Just to name a couple, a Kia Rio LX sedan with automatic and power package, with msrp of $17,160, is listed there for $15,924. A mazda3 svi automatic with msrp of $18790 is $17432. A mazda2 sport automatic at $16355 list is showing up for $12,380. I think that last one might be your winner.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Right now I think the best bang for your buck out there is the 2014 Sonata GLS. Hyundai has big incentives on it to move them out for the new 2015s. It's a mid-sized sedan but in the EPA full-sized class based on interior room. You can easily find these for under $18k nicely equipped (get the Preferred Package with alloys and heated seats). I've leased one since November 2012, mostly for my wife but I get to drive it quite a bit too. It's a good highway cruiser, has a smooth ride and gets excellent fuel economy on the highway especially if you keep it under 70. Comfortable driver's seat, especially with the heated power seat in the Preferred Package. Doesn't have as crisp of handling as something like the Mazda6 or Accord, but costs a lot less. Another plus is the 5-year bumper to bumper warranty and 10-year powertrain warranty.

You might be able to find a great deal on a closeout 2014.5 Camry too if you prefer that car. IMO I prefer the Sonata for its styling (inside and out) and warranty, but the Camry is a solid choice also for a commuting car.

I'd stay away from the Cruze if I were you. Much tighter inside than a Sonata or Camry, FE is no better unless you get the diesel or high FE model, has very sloppy steering IMO, and price-wise I don't think you'll save very much. Also Consumer Reports says the Cruze has been unreliable.

@wheels29 said:
    Hi, can you help me choose a car to buy based on my criteria? I recently accepted a new job out of town (it's a local area trucking job), and my 22 year old Ford truck is not suited for the commute. I want to buy a new car this week. But my time to do research is limited. I am hoping some of you here are knee-deep in research, and can share what you know. My price range is 16K-18K. I want the most car I can get after rebates and special incentives. I have excellent credit so I will be able to qualify for 0% financing if it is offered. My first choice of vehicle would be a Ford truck, but I just don't think I will be able to make that happen. My second choice of vehicle would be a sedan, Camry is a good example. If I can't make a full-sized sedan a reality, then a mid-sized sedan would be next, such as the Chevy Cruze. If I must settle for a compact car, then I really want one that gives me the most bang for my buck. Something that is on-sale, and offers great incentives. Thank you for your help. My Google search for "best car deals in July" really did not help much.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@qbrozen said:
    well, of course, a lease doesn't REQUIRE you put that money down. You can roll it into the payment.

Browse truecar.com to get an idea of street prices.

Just to name a couple, a Kia Rio LX sedan with automatic and power package, with msrp of $17,160, is listed there for $15,924. A mazda3 svi automatic with msrp of $18790 is $17432. A mazda2 sport automatic at $16355 list is showing up for $12,380. I think that last one might be your winner.

Q....I didn't know you didn't have to put money down on a lease. I thought it was first and maybe last month's payment, plus bank a licensing fees.

I learn something new every day.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,546
    edited July 2014

@graphicguy said:
    I learn something new every day.

It depends on the state ... but, you can roll most of the up-front costs into the lease; the trade-off is that you'll pay a higher interest rate (money factor) in return.

When I leased my Hyundai last November, I only gave them a check for the first month's payment - everything else was covered by the lease cash that was currently available.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382

When my son leased his Jetta it was all in. Only thing he gave them was a signature and a hand shake

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I still think Honda Fit is best overall choice. Versatile, inexpensive, good on gas and cheap to maintain. It will be less than new Camry or Sonata too.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere

While I like the Fit, if a lot of highway miles are involved I've read lots of noise complaints. So a good long test drive is in order, over the types of roads/speeds/distance expected in daily use.

I agree. Also, a base Fit (LX) with CVT (to reduce engine RPMs and noise and for better FE) is $17k, and good luck getting much of a discount on this all-new car. That's very close to what a 2014 Sonata GLS would run, and only a little less than a 2014.5 Camry LE.

Also the OP said "sedan", and the Fit isn't a sedan. Although I prefer hatchbacks myself.

@texases said:
    While I like the Fit, if a lot of highway miles are involved I've read lots of noise complaints. So a good long test drive is in order, over the types of roads/speeds/distance expected in daily use.

True. Then I'd suggest a Hyundai Elantra. A leftover '14 will be $15k or less. You won't get a '14 Camry for that. Elantra is a pretty decent commuter car too.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Actually, because of the big incentives on leftover Sonatas right now, they turn out to be a better deal than the leftover Elantras. And the Sonata is a much nicer car than the Elantra. You might be able to get an Elantra for $15k, with a stick. I think it would be closer to $16k. But a Sonata with the 6AT, much more power and room and more comfortable, wouldn't be much more.

Example of what I mean: at my local dealer, a sign-and-drive 3-year lease on the 2014 Elantra SE (base model) is $189/month. But for the Sonata GLS it's only $10 more per month. For $10 more a month, $360 over 3 years, I'd take the Sonata.

That's for a lease. To buy Elantras are a couple grand cheaper.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

On Fitzmall (for example), the difference is about $1500, base Elantra AT to base Sonata AT. Thus I'd go with the lease... $199/month with nothing up front for 36 months is a great deal for a car like the Sonata.

backy, that is why I have been seriously considering a lease now. Camry, Altima, Sonata are all pretty much readily available for right about that $200 _+ tax (so ~$215/mo) will very little cash up front. Lot of car for the money if you are OK with a basic model (cloth, no moonroof, no power seats, stuff like that).

edited July 2014

You can get a base model Mustang with nothing on it for 18K right now (just look for the loss leader ads in the local papers). It's an excellent step up from a typical econobox and is great for long commutes. The base model has all of the features most economy cars have at their upper trim levels. The "base" stereo is crazy loud, it has alloy wheels, 4 wheel disc brakes, power windows, power doors, and on and on. It's as nicely optioned as a normal trim Camry or Accord. It even turns the interior lights off if you forget to do so.

Without a doubt it's the most bang for the buck right now. Ford is dumping them left and right in order to make room for the 2015 re-design, which is only a little better. The new ones are going to be 24K, though, and no discounts. At 6K less, the 2014s are an absolute steal.

I just got 27mpg on mine my last tank and the 305hp makes it a blast to drive. The long wheelbase and high profile 17" tires also makes for a ride that sorry to say, no Fit or Civic or Focus will match.

Drive one. Then try to not grin.

Yes, it's over the budget. My budget was the same and I drove everything I could - literally dozens of cars. And in the end, I paid the little bit extra for a similar deal. I just couldn't deal with the reality of driving a gutless little tin can after driving big cars and SUVs for years.

• barnieboybarnieboy Member Posts: 3

I hope that you make the right choice!

• tristan15tristan15 Member Posts: 21
    edited September 2014

hey guys!

I'm about to buy my very first car and definitely need some help.

I'm looking for a used car under 15k, hatchback, reliable, rather sleek looking with as many tech options as possible:

Bluetooth, Sirius xm, good sound system, audio aux, touchscreen is a plus.

The Hyundai velopster options looks great but the car didn't get great ratings.

So I want to know if the car I'm looking for even exist according to my budget?

Thanks for your help.

edited September 2014
    For something under $15k, reliable, sleek looking, with as many tech features as possible for that money, have you looked at the Elantra GT? You could get a gently used one for around $15k, albeit probably not with a touchscreen but everything else you listed, and it's a lot more practical than the Veloster. You should also look at the Mazda3i hatch, I've seen these under $15k with low miles--again probably not with a touchscreen. Both of these can be had with a 6MT if you like a stick.

Another nice used hatch in this price range is the 2010+ Golf. I see CPO 2013 2-doors and 4-doors for under $15k in my area. These cars, built in Germany, have a good reliability record (unlike some other VWs).

The Kia Rio SX is another option, and if you could find one (they're rare) they're really loaded. I have the LX hatch and like it, but it doesn't have Bluetooth and the sound system isn't great. No touchscreen either. I think the SX has that... the EX might have it as an option also. But I think you can get more car with the Elantra GT, Mazda3i, or Golf.

The Focus is another thought, but its reliability hasn't been that good.
    Kia soul too.

Thanks for your response, this is really helpful. I have been actually looking at those models and the elantra GT is really appealing but seems to be pretty uncommon and hard to find.

What do you think about this one :
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=77001&endYear=2015&modelCode1=ELANTR&sortBy=bestmatchb&showcaseOwnerId=56940910&startYear=1981&makeCode1=HYUND&searchRadius=25&showcaseListingId=382457852&mmt=[HYUND[ELANTR[]][]]&listingId=372641047&Log=0

Seems too good to be true, but anyway it is a little pricy for me.

I love the VW Golf for sure but I feel like I won't get a lot of tech features included for under 15k.

I have another general question, how many percent additional costs ( including sale tax ) represent ?

And what about honda, toyota or other brands ? Don't they offer any good hatchback that would fulfill my needs ?

Thanks.
    Tax and fees depend on where you live and can vary wildly.

But usually can budget about 10%

Honda would be the Fit but I don't think you'll get a lot of extras with a used one. Toyota would be Matrix but I'm not sure any extras there either. I would check out Kia Rio Forte which has a lot of value, and also the Soul. Both of those may have more extra features for less overall $$.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    stickguy said:

Kia soul too.

I don't know that I'd call the Soul "rather sleek looking". :)

Now the Forte hatch, yes, but IMO the Elantra GT is a better value, e.g. standard alloys and heated seats even on the base trim. And the Forte hatch is even more rare than the Elantra GT!
    tristan15 said:

Thanks for your response, this is really helpful. I have been actually looking at those models and the elantra GT is really appealing but seems to be pretty uncommon and hard to find.

What do you think about this one : ...

I think that's a good price for what looks like a loaded GT with 6k miles. Maybe they would negotiate to down to your price?

You can get a nicely-equipped Golf (2010+) for under $15k. About the only thing on your list it might not have is a touchscreen. But consider... do you REALLY need that? And how much are you prepared to pay for it? If that touchscreen is important, you might look for a Rio SX. Kind of rare, but a nice infotainment system with touchscreen is standard. You might find a used Focus hatch in your price range with a touchscreen also.
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for all those information guys, really helps me to see clearer.
    The touchscreen is not that important, it is a plus to me. What I am really looking for is a decent sound system, bluetooth , sirius xm and aux audio.

I also meant to ask you guys, how would you negotiate a price with a dealer if it's already under the average price given by KBB ?
    In addition, do dealer let you take the car to get it inspected by a mechanic ?

My issue is that I live in a rather small town (College Station, Tx) and that I 'm looking at used cars in a radius of 250 miles. So it sounds really inconvenient to go check the cars and negotiate since I feel like negotiating involves walking away, coming back several times and so on.

Thank you.