Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984

Hi Rob good to hear you are still around, so the ould Gt is ready to EH! say Hi to Mikey for me.

Cheers Pat.

• fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786

Hey Rob. My Emily is about to graduate as well. VERY SCARY!
    Speaking of my other driver, she put the very first ding in the '02 OBW this past Friday night. Damage to my old car was minimal, (tear in the front bumper cover) but I suspect hitting the rear tire of a Chevy Aveo and causing obvious suspension damage is going to get expensive. Snow bank. She had zero visibility to the left, but she insisted on sticking the nose out in an attempt to turn that way anyhow. Oh well. Receiving a "I had an accident!" call was something I could have done without.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780

Bummer! At least she eased you into it rather than something more traumatic (for her and the car both!) from the outset!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited March 2014

Agree, and I hope that's her last while on my watch (and my insurance!). I had to force her back behind the wheel. She was a bit traumatized by the experience. Fortunately both the other driver and the officer were decent to her, and she didn't get a ticket although she was clearly in the wrong.

• lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089

Have any of you had a problem with your windshield wipers going past the window, as well as not stopping in the right place? This was happening to the wagon, at least until Friday, when the driver's side wiper stopped altogether! Let me know...thanks.

• grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    edited April 2014

@lilbluewgn02 said:
    Have any of you had a problem with your windshield wipers going past the window, as well as not stopping in the right place? This was happening to the wagon, at least until Friday, when the driver's side wiper stopped altogether! Let me know...thanks.

G'day

Could be as simple as re-tightening the bolts securing the washer motor in place as these sometimes allow a lot of slop to develop. Alternatively, if it is the motor itself or linkages, it can be pricey to repair. Not one I would attempt myself.

Edit: just remembered a similar problem I had on a Renault 21 where the nut securing the wiper blade had loosened off, allowing the wiper some free-play until the soft metal of the wiper blade was gouged out by the harder metal fluted shaft of the motor. Wiper blade then swung off the screen. Try removing the wipers and seeing if the shafts turn normally. Then check for slop in the mechanism. The Renault 21 fix cost about GBP20 for a new wiper blade assembly; you could be lucky!

Cheers

Graham

@grahampeters said:
    just remembered a similar problem I had on a Renault 21 where the nut securing the wiper blade had loosened off, allowing the wiper some free-play until the soft metal of the wiper blade was gouged out by the harder metal fluted shaft of the motor. Wiper blade then swung off the screen.

I think you probably nailed it with this, Graham. I had a similar issue with our 2010 Forester early on. Between your two suggestions, Serge likely has his solution!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited April 2014

Sad day today guys, we had to have our sweet little schnauzer Mac put to sleep today. Many of the old members here will remember me introducing him back in 2001
    The little guy was the nicest dog one could wish for, even today when the vet was doing what was necessary Mac was very laid back, Mac was calm & peaceful right to the end.
    He helped us immensely when our daughter died unexpectantly. He had been blind for about a year, but in the past month he was increasingly confused about his surroundings and got to be very anxious when we were not close by. The Vet today was almost 100% sure it was a brain tumour causing him to go downhill so fast. Sorry to ramble on but I am totally devastated by the loss of this little friend.

Not so Cheery Pat.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

So sorry Pat. We lost an old cat last year and our 10 year cat just got diagnosed with heart problems, so he's on daily meds. Tough to see the critters go downhill.

edited April 2014

Yeah, sorry about your loss, Pat. Remember all those happy memories with which he left you; those are a pet's legacy.

Oh Pat, I'm so sorry. Losing a pet does suck. Our best to Rita as well.

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788

Very sorry to hear this Pat. Pets hold a very special place in our hearts. Remember the good times you had together.

• volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306

So sorry Pat - we know just how special those 4 legged members of the family are.

G'day

Sorry to hear of Mac's death. It is dreadfully hard when you lose them.

I have a constant four legged companion who is about his age and getting increasingly frail. However that does not stop her from demanding trips in the car each time I go out.

So sorry

Graham

Thanks guys for your kind comments.

Pat.

• lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089

Pat, sorry to hear about Mac. I know how hard it is to lose a pet, especially since they too are family members. You have happy memories from your pal.

For those who do not know, I became a grandad on Thursday. Daughter Mairen gave birth to a healthy baby boy, named Ben. Everyone is doing well. Needless to say, we are on cloud nine. :)

Bob

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Congrats Bob!

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

Congrats on the new addition, Bob!

• jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396

Grandpa Bob...Congrats!

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@rsholland said:
    For those who do not know, I became a grandad on Thursday. Daughter Mairen gave birth to a healthy baby boy, named Ben. Everyone is doing well. Needless to say, we are on cloud nine. :)

Bob

Congratulations!

Would love to see a photo!

edited May 2014

Yessir! Congrats, old man! Hehehehe... (hey, let me have my fun while I can; my time will come)

• dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567

Congrats on the little one, Grandpa.

edited May 2014

Karen, your wish is my command.

Baby Ben, minutes old. :) 6 lb. 12 oz; 19 1/4" long

Bob (aka Gramps)

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

Great picture!!

Does every hospital have the same blanket supplier?? I know I still have a couple of those from when my kids were born in the late 90's.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

Great picture!!

Does every hospital have the same blanket supplier?? I know I still have a couple of those from when my kids were born in the late 90's.

Congratulations Bob, all the best to the family from Rita and myself.

Cheers Pat.

I don't have happy news like Bob. My 2012 Impreza Sport Limited may be on it's death bed. First, on April 24th, a women turned in front of me and crunched my right front corner (bumper, bumper support, headlight, grill, fog light, fender). Now 2 weeks later , I'm driving back from North Carolina where I attended my daughters graduation (MBA degree); actually happy news. Was about 50 miles from home, driving ~60 or 65 mph and the next thing I see is a flash of brown (deer) in my windshield. Front / knee airbags deployed, slammed on the brakes, couldn't see a thing, but managed to pull safely onto the shoulder. Me and parents survived unscathed, but the car has seen better days. Entire front end is damaged, windshield cracked, radiator busted, dash destroyed from passenger airbag, moonroof out of alignment, rear hatch out of alignment. Hopefully the insurance company totals the car.

edited May 2014

dcm1 - Glad to hear that you and your parents are unscathed.
    One of the reasons to drive a Subaru is for its safety rating, we hope we never need it but good to know it did the job of protecting you.

Congrats to your daughter!

@dcm61 said:
    I don't have happy news like Bob. My 2012 Impreza Sport Limited may be on it's death bed. First, on April 24th, a women turned in front of me and crunched my right front corner (bumper, bumper support, headlight, grill, fog light, fender). Now 2 weeks later , I'm driving back from North Carolina where I attended my daughters graduation (MBA degree); actually happy news. Was about 50 miles from home, driving ~60 or 65 mph and the next thing I see is a flash of brown (deer) in my windshield. Front / knee airbags deployed, slammed on the brakes, couldn't see a thing, but managed to pull safely onto the shoulder. Me and parents survived unscathed, but the car has seen better days. Entire front end is damaged, windshield cracked, radiator busted, dash destroyed from passenger airbag, moonroof out of alignment, rear hatch out of alignment. Hopefully the insurance company totals the car.

OUCH!

Really sorry to hear that Dave. Glad everyone survived okay. A few years ago a deer went through the windshield of a Civic about a mile from our house. The driver was killed. I agree, hope the car is totaled.

Congrats to your daughter!

Bob

Quite an adventure for such a new car! Sad news, but, hey, at least now you'll have a "fun" story to tell in conjunction with reminiscing about her graduation! :p

Thanks for all the comments. My Mom has a 2011 Outback and she said she wouldn't buy a car like mine because of how much it was damaged. I told her that her car would look the same after a deer hit. I also told her the car did exactly what it was supposed to do ... protect the occupants, including her.

Pictures of 1st accident on 4/24. Silver car is a 1991 Honda Civic that turned in front of me. I think most of my damage was from the impact with their wheel.
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=80905d85c4570e19&page=browse&resid=80905D85C4570E19!537&parId=80905D85C4570E19!535&authkey=!AmdgQUovBRElFxo&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&Bsrc=Share&sc=Photos&type=5

Pictures after deer encounter on 5/10.
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=80905d85c4570e19&page=browse&resid=80905D85C4570E19!536&parId=80905D85C4570E19!535&authkey=!AqNm5jZyGqwy-Ps&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&Bsrc=Share&sc=Photos&type=5

Can't really tell too well from the picture, but the moonroof is raised up in the front, and the windshield is cracked from the passenger airbag deployment. Also, the back hatch no longer closes completely.

Car is being towed to a salvage yard today or tomorrow. Hopefully that's a good sign that the insurance adjuster will total it. They told me to clean out the car and remove the license plate.

BTW, I'm having a 2014 Forester rental delivered tomorrow. Yeah, the one that Wes says only a mother can love.

One more post. On 4/25 (my Mom's birthday), a deer ran through my brother's front house door. Busted through 2 back to back panes of glass in the screen door, then busted the steel door out of the frame. No sign of the deer doing any other damage to the house. Appears that it turned around and left.

My brother said that deer are out to get us.

That's hilarious, Dave! I can just imagine the deer busting into your brother's place, then looking around and thinking, "wait, this isn't my house! I need to stick to two drinks next time...."

I'm somewhat shocked at the amount of damage your car sustained from that deer encounter. Considering the speed of impact and the airbag deployment, it's a wonderful thing that you all came out of it shaken but not stirred!

Makes me even more thankful that I managed to avoid the several deer that attempted to become hood ornaments on our way to the Oregon coast last September. If one of them did that kind of damage to our Forester, our trip could have become quite interesting....

edited May 2014

Wow Dave, looking at the bumper around your passenger side fog lamp, your brother appears to be right. Did that deer kick that hole into your bumper?

And I assume someone, somewhere could be having venison? (I.e. the deer paid dearly for his error.)

Side comment: Impreza's have a black surround at the front fog lamp, CrossTrek has all body color front bumper. The rear bumper is reversed, black surround on CrossTrek, all body color on Impreza.

Wow Dave, looking at the bumper around your passenger side fog lamp, your brother appears to be right. Did that deer kick that hole into your bumper?

The passenger side bumper damage is from accident #1. Pretty sure the heavy bumper damage was caused by the Civic wheel.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my Mom had a memorable birthday (deer intruder at my younger brother's house) and Mother's Day (crash, rode in the back of a police SUV, road in a tow truck).

My older brother says that he's glad that he has a boring life. LOL.

Also, the hole in the bumper is due to the missing tow hook cover, although the hole is torn up some.

G'day

When I lived in England, my employers had a run of car accidents, all involving deer strikes. For a few months it seemed that it was the only damage that befell our fleet, which excited interest from our motor insurers.

Remarkable how much damage an animal can cause, even if not huge. I hit a rabbit on the Yorkshire Moors and it ripped out the whole of the wheel arch liner and sundry components on my Mercedes - about GBP1,000. Judy and I joked that he must have had Semtex in his pockets, given the extent of damage.

Conversely I hit a kangaroo at the bottom of its bounce, so it was close to the ground. Car was thrown around a bit as it rolled under the car, but minimal damage. Bizarrely, it hopped off into the distance. I would not want to hit one when it was at the top of its bounce as they, especially plains males, can be very large. I had a very near miss last year where I really tested the brakes.

A long time ago, dad hit a wombat which ripped the front wheel off his Renault 16; they are like short concrete bollards on legs.

The car definitely looks very second hand and the apparent upper body damage is not good news. It really is pleasing to see that the airbags did their stuff.

Cheers

Graham

@grahampeters said:
    G'day

When I lived in England, my employers had a run of car accidents, all involving deer strikes. For a few months it seemed that it was the only damage that befell our fleet, which excited interest from our motor insurers.

Remarkable how much damage an animal can cause, even if not huge. I hit a rabbit on the Yorkshire Moors and it ripped out the whole of the wheel arch liner and sundry components on my Mercedes - about GBP1,000. Judy and I joked that he must have had Semtex in his pockets, given the extent of damage.

Conversely I hit a kangaroo at the bottom of its bounce, so it was close to the ground. Car was thrown around a bit as it rolled under the car, but minimal damage. Bizarrely, it hopped off into the distance. I would not want to hit one when it was at the top of its bounce as they, especially plains males, can be very large. I had a very near miss last year where I really tested the brakes.

A long time ago, dad hit a wombat which ripped the front wheel off his Renault 16; they are like short concrete bollards on legs.

The car definitely looks very second hand and the apparent upper body damage is not good news. It really is pleasing to see that the airbags did their stuff.

Cheers

Graham

Love it. It's not everyday That I read about hitting kangaroos or wombats with a car. :) Always enjoy your posts Graham. :)

Bob

My car was declared a total loss. Initital estimate was ~$15k to fix and I suspect there was more hidden damage. I lose the insurance rental on Friday, so I need to find a new ride SOON.

I will most likely get another Subaru and am leaning toward a 2015 Forester 2.5i Touring. I liked my Impreza Sport Limited, but would like a bigger cargo area. I would have liked to wait for the 2015 Outbacks to arrive before making a decision, but I can't wait until mid to late July.

@dcm61 said:
    My car was declared a total loss. Initital estimate was ~$15k to fix and I suspect there was more hidden damage. I lose the insurance rental on Friday, so I need to find a new ride SOON.

I will most likely get another Subaru and am leaning toward a 2015 Forester 2.5i Touring. I liked my Impreza Sport Limited, but would like a bigger cargo area. I would have liked to wait for the 2015 Outbacks to arrive before making a decision, but I can't wait until mid to late July.

G'day

Glad to hear that it is a write off. Looked like a lot of damage.

You could do worse than taking a longish term rental from a local second or third tier rental firm. We have something like "Rent a Wreck" her but the actual cars hired are 2-3 year old and in decent condition. If you just ned to buy yourself some time whilst making a decision, this is very appealing.

Cheers

Graham

Yeah, I agree. If you can buy yourself some time, you'll be happier with your decision in the long run! Unless, of course, you're completely sold on the Forester, in which case now is as good of a time as any (assuming you can get the options/trim you want).

I certainly understand the time crunch; I experienced that with the demise of our '96 Outback. While I felt like our replacement vehicle was a reasonable approximation of what we wanted, it certainly represented a compromise.

Picked up my new Burnished Bronze 2015 Forester 2.5i Touring this afternoon. :smile:

@dcm61 said:
    Picked up my new Burnished Bronze 2015 Forester 2.5i Touring this afternoon. :smile:

That's great, Dave! Sounds like a nice color to me. The only downside I can see is that, with a Touring model, you're surely stuck with the automatic (CV) transmission. Steer clear of intersecting trajectories with this one, will ya?! :p

Dave, congrats on the new wheels.

Just rotated my tires the other day. Waxed the rims inside and out too.

Thanks Wes and jfl.

Well, the love affair didn't last very long. ;) Drove into a BMW dealer with 67 miles on the odometer and drove out with a 428i xDrive convertible. Really, I did. :)

Also drove an Audi A5 2.0T Quattro convertible, Mercedes C350 coupe, Lexus IS 250 convertible, BMW 428i xDrive coupe, BMW 435i coupe.

BMW had an Un4Gettable Test Drive Event to introduce the 4 series and compare them against some competitors.

Drove out with a 2015 Subaru Forester with 67 miles, with no regrets. B)

@xwesx said:
    That's great, Dave! Sounds like a nice color to me. The only downside I can see is that, with a Touring model, you're surely stuck with the automatic (CV) transmission. Steer clear of intersecting trajectories with this one, will ya?! :p

I may be in the minority, but I like the CVT transmission.

I got the Burnished Bronze because the deer fur will blend in; it stood out too much on a red car. lol