Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Quoting a post that has a quote from a prior post is also different. If, for example, I click Quote on wes post just above where he quotes Steve, it inserts the @xwesx with the right arrows, but nothing else and the box doesn't expand, but that seems to be because there's nothing to expand to.

• boogmcboogmc Member Posts: 2
    HELP!!!! HOW DO I UNSUBSCRBE! !!! Omg, too many emails in my inbox. I'm getting ever bodies get ions for some reason. It's CRAZY!!!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

I just entered a rather long post in a discussion and pressed Post Comment. The Leave a Comment box cleared, but my post wasn't posted. Also, unlike the previous version of the Forums, there's no way to go back to the previous page, see your post there, and try it again. So the post was lost in the ether. No indication of any problem in the Forums when this happened.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146

@backy said:
    there's no way to go back to the previous page, see your post there, and try it again. So the post was lost in the ether.

Is it in the My Drafts in the box at right?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited April 2014

I don't see any My Drafts, anywhere on the page. Not sure why I would, as I'm sure I pressed Post Comment, not Save Draft.

Edit: I just tried saving a Draft. That shows up in My Drafts. Nothing else, though.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

@backy, found it. For some reason the automated spam filter grabbed it and held it for moderation. Your post has been restored and the spam filter has been informed that you are one of the "good guys". Sorry for the confusion.

Spam!! Well, now I know in what regard my posts are held. :)

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    edited April 2014

@backy said:
    Spam!! Well, now I know in what regard my posts are held. :)

Spam filters have a strange sense of humor. I know this from experience.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

edited April 2014

Don't you miss the Nike ads? Remember, "Comfort in the exercise would be obtained if we wear equipment or supplies for the sport." B)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146

Under our usernames in the box at the right, there is a row of markers: Feature, Promote, Like, LOL, Abuse.

What do the Feature and Promote mean? How are they used?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited April 2014

Here's the nutshell version:

The Promote button is a way to promote the best posts in the community. If you go to the Best Of link, you'll see that I just "promoted" your post about the lack of spam around the forums. Best of posts also get "promoted" by the reactions the post receives.

The Feature button shows up on the first post of a discussion and enables that discussion to be "featured" on the forums landing page. This discussion was featured early on but has rolled down in the list of featured discussions.

• research123research123 Member Posts: 3

I need help on a project, how many Mercedes B
    enz were sold in 1999 in Florida?

@research123 said:
    I need help on a project, how many Mercedes B
    enz were sold in 1999 in Florida?

Maybe try contacting M-B USA headquarters?

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078

Would it be possible to have a default text box for posting that is a bit taller than the mail slot we have now? Even when you (a) quote another post and (b) that actually works properly, until you click into the box you don't see what you've quoted. I can't imagine why the default box is so small.

Still not a fan of this software at all. It all looks so cobbled-together...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

If the default text box was larger, less content would be displayed. In general, I find that I'm replying to the latest post in a discussion, (not always, but most of the time) and that post and the text box fit nicely on my screen. Everything is always some kind of trade-off :)

Maybe you reply to the last post most of the time, but those of us who don't visit as often may not. I don't understand your rationale. A text box less than 2 lines high seems absurd.

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@ab348 said:
    Maybe you reply to the last post most of the time, but those of us who don't visit as often may not. I don't understand your rationale. A text box less than 2 lines high seems absurd.

@ab348 said:
    Would it be possible to have a default text box for posting that is a bit taller than the mail slot we have now? Even when you (a) quote another post and (b) that actually works properly, until you click into the box you don't see what you've quoted. I can't imagine why the default box is so small.

Still not a fan of this software at all. It all looks so cobbled-together...

Have you tried "toggle to to full page"?

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    edited May 2014

@Karen_CM said:

Is that to to, two to, or tutu? I'm voting for the last. :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@xwesx said:
    Is that to to, two to, or tutu? I'm voting for the last. :p

I suppose I could edit that and then pretend innocence, but I'll admit I do make mistakes...sometimes.

Incidentally, prior to becoming a queen of the internet (my kids' term for me, not mine), I did sorta-kinda make a living as a dancer. If I was really brave, I post a photo, but those tintypes are difficult to upload. B)

@Karen_CM said:

Had no idea what that icon was. It's like the "hamburger" icon that is becoming more popular for "Menu" functions in some software & websites, so cryptic as to be useless. But it really is a cure that is worse than the disease, since it wipes out the entire forum.

The thing I don't understand is that sometimes the text box remains only 2 lines tall, while at other times it expands once you click inside it to a more useful 10 or 11 lines. It seems very hit or miss.

• billmvbillmv Member Posts: 148

Just started using the Forums again after a couple year hiatus. Question: How do I reply to / ask a question of a SPECIFIC poster? On the old platform you had a "Reply" link that automatically included the post I was replying to, but that's now gone. Also, the number of the post was very helpful, as was the date of the post, and the notation that the moderator was replying to so and so's post # 123. Are these history due to the new platform? Shame if they are. Excellent functionality lost if so. Thx.

@billmv said:
    Just started using the Forums again after a couple year hiatus. Question: How do I reply to / ask a question of a SPECIFIC poster? On the old platform you had a "Reply" link that automatically included the post I was replying to, but that's now gone. Also, the number of the post was very helpful, as was the date of the post, and the notation that the moderator was replying to so and so's post # 123. Are these history due to the new platform? Shame if they are. Excellent functionality lost if so. Thx.

Billmv, you can link your reply to the original post by using the "Quote" to reproduce the original post at the beginning of your reply. The original text will appear shaded at the top of your reply. It will also appear in the text box that will contain your reply. Put a couple of line feeds after the original text to remove the shading from your reply.

However, my original purpose in replying to this post is to say I completely agree with billmv's comments. Even having used the new format since it was instituted, I find the old format infinitely preferable. I would love to have that functionality back.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

@bhill2 said:
    However, my original purpose in replying to this post is to say I completely agree with billmv's comments. Even having used the new format since it was instituted, I find the old format infinitely preferable. I would love to have that functionality back.

And if you are quoting a post that includes another quote, the above is all you get, the last paragraph of the previous message. There apparently is a way to multi-quote, since I have seen it done, but you seem to need a tutorial on how to do it. Not a fan of this software.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

What's with this annoying red "State Farm", get a quote pop-up I'm having on these forums when on my iPad? Not only do they suck but they stay for a while.....and, I already have State Farm (thinking now about getting rid of them),

@carnaught said:
    What's with this annoying red "State Farm", get a quote pop-up I'm having on these forums when on my iPad? Not only do they suck but they stay for a while.....and, I already have State Farm (thinking now about getting rid of them).

So, I'm the only one with this annoying advertisement?

No, I see it every so often also. It's kinda like a good neighbor... State Farm is just... there. :)

Edmunds.com has to pay the bills somehow.

@backy said:
    No, I see it every so often also. It's kinda like a good neighbor... State Farm is just... there. :)

Edmunds.com has to pay the bills somehow.

Hmm....to me, it's like ADT......ALWAYS there

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136

I always have a Camry or Corolla ad at lower left. They know exactly what kind of car I'm shopping for!

"They" always know! :p

edited June 2014

Oh jeez, I just got the State Farm pop-up for the first time. And it's not disappearing. Now it begins.

Could be worse - could be video of Flo pan-frying geckos.

@stever said:
    Could be worse - could be video of Flo pan-frying geckos.

I'd rather see the gecko pan-frying Flo.

• ashley_b1ashley_b1 Member Posts: 10

How may I unsubscribe from a forum where I am receiving email alerts when new posts are made? https://help.edmunds.com/entries/24871501-Unsubscribe-from-Edmunds-com-Emails-or-Notifications
    I do not see "Forum Tools" or "Watched Items" anywhere on any forum page. Thank you

edited June 2014

Hm, looks like we need to update the Help FAQ.

Try this - click on your member name to bring up your Profile page. On the top left there's a small "head" icon with a dropdown arrow. Click the arrow and select Edit Profile. On the left side of the Edit Profile page, select Notification Preferences. That's where you turn the email notifications on or off.

• ashley_b1ashley_b1 Member Posts: 10

Thank you for the assistance stever. ;)

Annoyance I've noted: when you page up/down in the forums, The Edmunds bar across the top of the screen stays stationary. The result is that something that would appear at the top of the screen after a page up/down is obscured. A pain.

Happening over and over today I keep getting this message: "504 Gateway Time-out. The server didn't respond in time." This is on my iMac with the latest O.S.

It took me a half-dozen attempts to get on. Any clues?

edited August 2014

First thing to try is a restart of something - the browser or the iMac or your router. We had an iPad log-in remember me issue today but no time-out errors that I know of.

Anyone else?

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786

No issues today or for a while now, for that matter. This is on Windows 7 machines using Firefox and/or Chrome.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Seems okay now, :).

Maybe your service provider is using a faster freeway today. :)

OK, so the line at the bottom of the text entry box that used to say "You can use Markdown in your post" now says "You can use Simple HTML in your post".

What has changed and what is different about it? Or are they 2 ways to say the same thing?

I don't know either one so I'm probably at a loss regardless.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    ab348 said:

OK, so the line at the bottom of the text entry box that used to say "You can use Markdown in your post" now says "You can use Simple HTML in your post".

What has changed and what is different about it? Or are they 2 ways to say the same thing?

Yup, it's basically the same thing. It means you can use some of the common HTML codes in your post. MOST of the codes you can use are duplicated by the bold, italic, indent, etc. icons at the top of the post box.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited September 2014
    From time to time either the Edmunds nannys or those which monitor the use of my work laptop dump me into the "login from the beginning" screen. I dutifully put in my e-mail address and password and am sent to what I assume is the Edmunds homepage. Where is the forums link on there? I've poked around and can't find it for the life of me. Seems like the forums are the red-headed stepchild of Edmunds, or maybe I'm missing something.

My bookmarked page gets me where I need to be, but I certainly don't know how I could get here if I started from scratch.

Interesting.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited September 2014
    @cdnpinhead, the Forums link (currently) lives under the Car Research tab.

edited September 2014
    I notice a couple of small problems:

1. In the "Car Commercials: The Good, Bad & Annoying" forum, when I make a post and later return to the forum, the text of my last post remains in the text box.
    2. In "Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans", when I enter the forum it does not take me to the last post but instead dumps me right to the bottom of the page so I just see the page footers.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Thanks
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester