Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Ford Transit Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in Ford
image2015 Ford Transit Road Test | Edmunds.com

The 2015 Ford Transit is an all-new full-size van that replaces the long-running E-Series, or Econoline, van in the company's lineup. It features radically different styling, multiple configurations and a surprisingly easy-to-drive feel.

Read the full story here

Comments

• marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96

This would make a great Class B RV!

• kokomojoekokomojoe Member Posts: 150

When you look at the overall capacity it is far less than the E series less weight to haul , less towing... The biggest is the less power which will limit the use of this van considerably.
    The big question is will Americans buy the Euro style?

• kokomojoekokomojoe Member Posts: 150

When you look at the overall capacity it is far less than the E series less weight to haul , less towing... The biggest is the less power which will limit the use of this van considerably.

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

Why is the Mercedes van not listed as a competitor? I see them all over the place, certainly much more than the Dodge van.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

I wanted to like it a lot but the test drive of a 7 passenger one left a bit to be desired. Would still like to check out a 5 seater.

• applejuiceapplejuice Member Posts: 4

@stever said:
    I wanted to like it a lot but the test drive of a 7 passenger one left a bit to be desired. Would still like to check out a 5 seater.

Stever - are you referring to the Ford Transit Connect? The Connect offers 5 and 7 seaters. The review here is on the Ford Transit which replaces the Econoline full size vans that were usually 12 or 15 passengers.

@kokomojoe said:

Space - the article here doesn't mention it but according to Car and Driver's review, the largest Transit configuration is 487 cubic feet or 75% more than the largest E series van.

Power - on engines, the Ecoboost V6 has more power and torque than the old V10. Believe me, I grew up driving my dad's Econolines. He still has one. They may have been V8s and even a V10 but they were slow and thirsty!

You are right about the Euro styling. It's different. Then again, the Ford Transit Connect has done well. My company has hundreds of them and we're currently upgrading to the new design which seems to be much improved.

@bankerdanny said:
    Why is the Mercedes van not listed as a competitor? I see them all over the place, certainly much more than the Dodge van.

Good question. The Sprinter is definitely a competitor.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2014

@applejuice, oops, yeah, sorry. :( Thought this was the TC first drive link. I love the big empties but the Sprinter size vans are just a bit much even for me. Plus I carry the occasional canoe on top and it's hard enough getting one of those on top of a regular minivan.

• darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606

@marcos9 said:
    This would make a great Class B RV!

I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to see what customizers can do with this rig. It looks like it can be adapted to a modestly sized RV with plenty of room for 2 that's still vey drivable.

• themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436

HVAC controls a mile away from driver, and blocked by shifter. Nav system looks like a nicely integrated CRT TV

• sbogertsbogert Member Posts: 1

I would like to see offered a crew van like the Sprinter- that has removable seating for three, front side windows but leaves most of the rear free for stuff. That makes it the best version for a family van to carry sports, hobby or camping things. I would rather keep the rear more closed without the rear side windows.

• nick1949nick1949 Member Posts: 1
    I have heard that the seats are BOLTED to the floor instead of the quick releases in the Econoline wagons. If true, this really takes away from the versatility that the Econoline wagons have. Anyone know?
  • lostintransitlostintransit Member Posts: 6
    April 18th 2015,

Just drove off the lot with a new 2015 Ford Transit Connect and we love it!
  • lostintransitlostintransit Member Posts: 6
    Some of you may or may not know what happen last may while I was here. I was growing upset at how this forums was shaping up. But during that time I seem to have attracted several of you about what we are going to a 2015 Ford Transit Connect.. Here is a few small updates.

Last we spoke/posted I was searching for a rugged type wheel for our van because I was hoping to create an overlander out of this little van. Well, we've had several wheel companies contact us, but all of these wheels were doomed to fail. Our last attempt came from wheelpros, where they sent us on of their 775 Rockstar wheels for the van. The issue with that wheel was that it was too wide, too heavy and the bolt pattern was screwed up.

Then came our best shot of getting a set of custom wheels for the van from BraidUSA, This is a Spanish rally wheel company and I was offered a great deal on their Terra wheels, custom milled to my specs. In exchange for a space on the van for their logo. I was in heaven.. but right before we made the deal.. we learn that the Terra wheels are not DOT approved.. Drat.

Lastly, I've got 2 leads on 2 set of wheels that might fit.. We've learn that the Volvo wheels & Ford Focus wheels have the same bolt patter, nearly the same center bore. Yet the offset maybe an issue. So once we locate a set of these wheels, we're going to try them on for size.

One main reason I'm posting here again, is because I realize you all love to drive and love sports cars.. We took our annual fall trip to Arkansas last week and found a road I think any of you in North America would love to drive.

Running east to west, Route 160 in Missouri was a fantastic road. A drivers road if you will which offered dips, hills and sharp curves.. Let's put it this way, route 160 took me back to my SCCA days. We had fun, roller coaster style road as we followed one of the locals who seem to know this road very well. I watch her brakes and corner approach.. this girl was good and yet she was driving an old beat up Hyundai. More than once we went air borne and felt a few g's while nearly bottoming out on the deepest dips in the road. They say that the Ford transit Connect is a "utility" van.. I beg to differ.. it looks like a utility van, but it handles like a sports car. Man what a rush.

Now if you ask me, if we would take on of those "other" micro vans on this road, I wouldn't bet on them surviving.. The nimbleness and semi wide stance of the Ford Transit Connect handled this road like a piece of cake.. yet do not let this van fool you.. it is top heavy.. The best thing and the only way we could control this van on that road was by shifting into sport mode. The van (while out of sport mode) seem to slide into and through those curves, yet while in sport mode the van actually pulled through the curves when decelerating.

The funny thing here, is when that girl/Hyundai driver reached her end destination.. I pulled up beside her and thanked her for showing us this road. We both had a good laugh and she actually wanted to see what our van was. This is not the first time we've open the doors to the van when others started crowding around wanting a look. Ford should thank us for this, yet Ford wants to keep this van a secret and keep it as a utility or contractors van.. we see different.

Look for more travel reports very soon.