Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    edited June 2014

@dcm61 said:
    Oh No! Another deer attack.

Hahhahahahaha! Dave, you are on a serious roll! As far as the CVT goes, there's nothing wrong with it aside from it still being an automatic; I simply prefer manual. :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited June 2014

@dcm61 said:
    Picked up my new Burnished Bronze 2015 Forester 2.5i Touring this afternoon. :smile:

Very nice Dave. :) I think you will be very happy with the Forester. Does it have navigation? What dealer did you get it from?

BTW, you're not the only one who likes CVTs. ;)

Bob

• hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    edited June 2014

Dave, glad to see no one was hurt in the deer strike, congratulations and good luck with the new forester.

Cheers Pat..

• dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567

@rsholland said:
    Very nice Dave. I think you will be very happy with the Forester. Does it have navigation? What dealer did you get it from?

No, it does not have navigation or Eyesight, but does have HIDs, Keyless Access/Start, 18" rims, Harman Kardon speakers, etc. Got it from Rafferty Subaru.

edited June 2014

@hondafriek said:
    Dave, glad to see no one was hurt in the deer strike, congratulations and good luck with the new forester.

Cheers Pat..

Thanks Pat. And very belated condolences on your loss of Mac.

• fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786

Catching up after another long hiatus from the boards. Dave: Sorry to hear about your conflict with Bambi, but it sounds like you have a nice new ride. You did have me going for a bit with the BMW post, and I had to read it twice before I laughed!

Speaking of Bambi, I have (had?) the nicest line of Hosta plants along the driveway, and this morning they were gone! I got sloppy with my application of Liquid Fence, and the herd staged a stealth attack overnight.

Yeah, it was weird driving into the dealership with a brand new car.

Opening Father's Day weekend ... Revenge of the Herds. See movie listings for locations and times.

I love Hostas; they make a great ground cover around ornamental trees, etc. No luck with that sort of thing in these parts, though. I have to wonder if the moose would bother...? Probably - they're spiteful that way!

What is this "liquid fence?" Is it garden-safe? Effective?

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

The deer love them in the UP too, but mostly they love my neighbor's garden more.

In topical news, I no longer own a Subaru. We've downsized to one car, an '09 Grand Caravan.

That's sad, Steve. It was nice knowing you! :p

In topical news.... your honorary membership starts now! B)

Thanks, and if you see an F-150 with TN plates pulling a pop-up camper around Fairbanks, that's my brother.

I shall keep my eyes peeled!

I disagree - toss him to the curb for selling his Subi!

Liquid Fence is putrified eggs and other good stuff. If you are a mammal with any sort of nose you will likely hightail it in the opposite direction! It typically takes some training to change the feeding habits of the deer, so initially you spray it (2 oz of concentrate to a qt of water) each week for a month, and then you can slack off to a maintenance dose of every 4 weeks or so.

But I got sloppy and the younger brood, not knowing they should skirt my land, came in to feed. I sprayed when I got home last night and by then they'd gone after not just the hostas but also the hydrangeas, flox and a bunch of other stuff. Do I look like I'm operating an unlimited salad bar???

Thanks for the added info, Steve! I'm not sure that solution will work for us, since my wife is highly sensitive to smells and she has to be able to stand being in her own yard/garden! But, I'll mention it to her. :)

Wes, day 1 is a bit nasty, but it quickly fades to the point that only dog & deer noses can detect it! Spray it on days she's planning to be out, or before you call it a night. And after a few weeks you'll only be using it once a month anyhow. It's a small price to pay to enjoy a beautiful garden and to have a yard devoid of deer poop.

• kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271

@rsholland said:
    For those who do not know, I became a grandad on Thursday. Daughter Mairen gave birth to a healthy baby boy, named Ben. Everyone is doing well. Needless to say, we are on cloud nine. :)

Bob

Congratulations, Bob!

I'm so happy for you!
    --kate

SubaruBucks no more! Just got a letter from Chase. My Subie Chase card will be replaced with Chase Freedom. AAAAAAA!

@kate5000 said:
    SubaruBucks no more! Just got a letter from Chase. My Subie Chase card will be replaced with Chase Freedom. AAAAAAA!

Also rec'd a letter today. Rumor was that it was going to end in September, but Chase was mum about it. Would have been nice if they had given a little more advance notice.

@kate5000 said:
    --kate

Thanks Kate! Everyone is doing well. Ben has almost doubled his weight since he was born. :)

one very beautiful boy!

is Juice still around here?

@kate5000 said:
    one very beautiful boy!

is Juice still around here?

Thanks. We think so too. :)

Saw AJ and family on Labor Day. They stopped by to see the baby. Not sure why he hasn't been posting? It's been very slow here on the Subaru forums for some time. Hardly anybody posts here anymore.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

OK Subanistas - I've become enamored with this:

2012 Legacy 2.5i with Navigation
    White over what they call Ivory leather trimmed seats - looks like cloth to me.
    Unicorn spec 6 speed manual
    Asking $17,900 with 28K on the clock.

What should I look for>

Thought I heard that Juice's employer blocked access to a bunch of websites from work?

@stever said:
    Thought I heard that Juice's employer blocked access to a bunch of websites from work?

Don't know anything about that.

Well, tell him to at least check in sometime. I wanna know how those "new" phones are working out. ;)

@robr2 said:
    OK Subanistas - I've become enamored with this:

2012 Legacy 2.5i with Navigation
    White over what they call Ivory leather trimmed seats - looks like cloth to me.
    Unicorn spec 6 speed manual
    Asking $17,900 with 28K on the clock.

What should I look for>

Mmmm....a six speed manual! Can't even get a manual on the Legacy/Outback any more. Just when they started moving the looks of the car in the right direction. /sigh

I think 2012 is when they moved the Legacy to the new FB engine, so that's a plus. 28K miles means there wasn't really enough time to do anything too terribly wrong to the car (unless it is still on its first oil change!). Ivory leather seating sounds nice, except for the potential for scuff/stain marks.

Overall, sounds like a reasonable deal given age, mileage, and cost of new. Where is the region? Any potential for flood damage or some other nasty surprise?

edited September 2014

@dcm61 said:
    Also rec'd a letter today. Rumor was that it was going to end in September, but Chase was mum about it. Would have been nice if they had given a little more advance notice.

Looks like it is time for me to check my mail to get the details....

I'm not even sure what to replace them with. Most "rewards programs" are so useless these days, and there's pretty much ZERO out there in the automotive realm.

@xwesx said:
    Mmmm....a six speed manual! Can't even get a manual on the Legacy/Outback any more. Just when they started moving the looks of the car in the right direction. /sigh

I think 2012 is when they moved the Legacy to the new FB engine, so that's a plus. 28K miles means there wasn't really enough time to do anything too terribly wrong to the car (unless it is still on its first oil change!). Ivory leather seating sounds nice, except for the potential for scuff/stain marks.

Overall, sounds like a reasonable deal given age, mileage, and cost of new. Where is the region? Any potential for flood damage or some other nasty surprise?

According to Carfax, it has 38K miles. It's had two owners and 3 service records in that time. All use looks to be in New England. Here is the vehicle:
    http://www.herbchambers.com/used/Subaru/2012-Subaru-Legacy-d3127c760a0a00de1a719c214c271e88.htm

That is cloth interior. They didn't make leather with the manual in 2012, now that I think about it. Photos are horrible, so that may be a concern when considering the quality of the dealer.

Two owners in 38,000 miles... ? Could be a warning sign, could be nothing. Mine has had a bit of a history, too. I found out by accident last month that the original purchaser was a male (dealer said the buyer who traded it to them was an older female), so it may be that mine had two previous owners and it only had <14K on the clock!

Sometimes manual transmissions lead to short ownership times because people just didn't get what they thought they'd get out of the manual.

edited September 2014

First year for FB25 in Legacy/Outback was 2013.

Forester = 2011
    Impreza = 2012 (FB20)

@xwesx said:
    That is cloth interior. They didn't make leather with the manual in 2012, now that I think about it. Photos are horrible, so that may be a concern when considering the quality of the dealer.

This is the biggest dealer group in Boston - 52 locations - and I've bought 2 cars from them. They are very good.

I'm thinking sloppy info entry.

@dcm61 said:
    First year for FB25 in Legacy/Outback was 2013.

Forester = 2011
    Impreza = 2012 (FB20)

Sadness. But, I've had four of the EJ25 blocks, and all were (and are) good cars; just a little more concern related to head gasket longevity.

Rob, that's good news regarding the dealer. It still doesn't excuse the poor photo quality (seems like they're all terribly washed out, which is further enhanced by the copious amounts of light colors on/in the car).

Apparently, not even Arizona cars are safe from flooding! :D

stever said:

Just was in touch with AJ. Yes, you are correct. There is a firewall at work that blocks Edmunds. Also, he got a recent promotion which has resulted in him putting in about 10 hours a week extra at work. Add to that increased activities with the family, so he's a busy guy these days. :) He said he would try to stop in when he gets a chance.
    edited September 2014
    Thanks HelmetHead Bob!

Bummer when work interferes with real life. I'm surprised we haven't lost you to the grandkid. B)
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    Hey! Had to check in. Subaru #7 arrived two weeks ago!!! Traded the 05 Legacy GT for a 2015 Black on Black Legacy 3.6R Limited. What a sweet ride. The dealer located one at the factory with all the options I wanted ... then I had to wait 5 long weeks for it to arrive. I have only seen a couple 15's around ... none in Black and not another 3.6. The Crystal Black Silica paint is awesome with the sparkles and I love the silver/dark gray spoke rims. Only 300 miles on it so I haven't gotten on it yet, but it does move. Woo-Hoo! Rob M.
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396

Rob, congrats on the new ride.

My Subaru Impreza is now less unique. I've moved out of Calif into Subaru country (northern Nevada). They are everywhere. Lots of 2012, '13, '14 Imprezas in addition to the other Subie models.

edited September 2014
    Congrats @rob_m!

Interesting @jfl. I don't remember seeing tons of them back when we had relations to visit in Carson City. Are you near Reno or over toward Elko? (apologies if you told me this before).
    rob_m said:

Hey! Had to check in. Subaru #7 arrived two weeks ago!!! Traded the 05 Legacy GT for a 2015 Black on Black Legacy 3.6R Limited. What a sweet ride. The dealer located one at the factory with all the options I wanted ... then I had to wait 5 long weeks for it to arrive. I have only seen a couple 15's around ... none in Black and not another 3.6. The Crystal Black Silica paint is awesome with the sparkles and I love the silver/dark gray spoke rims. Only 300 miles on it so I haven't gotten on it yet, but it does move. Woo-Hoo! Rob M.

Congrats Rob! Keep us posted on what it's like living with it! :)
    edited September 2014
    rob_m said:

Hey! Had to check in. Subaru #7 arrived two weeks ago!!!

Awesome! As it happens, I just saw my first "real life" 2015 Legacy this morning on the way to work. I had to circle around the car (other driver probably thought I was crazy because we _were_ on the highway, after all) to do a double-take because the car was dirty and the windshield was already in "Alaskan" mode (e.g., cracks throughout). There's no mistaking it - 2015 for sure.

The styling is LEAGUES improved over the last generation! Subtle, but improved in all the right places.

stever said:

Interesting @jfl. I don't remember seeing tons of them back when we had relations to visit in Carson City. Are you near Reno or over toward Elko?

I'm in Reno.
    edited September 2014
    Nice place, especially the whitewater park. I would have moved to Carson City but my wife didn't like it as much as I did.

Pretty sure I drove my Outback there at least once when visiting the in-laws. B)
    First impressions were the lines. It is much cleaner than the 5th generation Legacy which I though looked 'clunky' and just plain refused to buy one. I was not happy that they first dropped the automatic in the GT, then second dropped the GT altogether. Honestly, I was shopping other cars and on my way to buy my first non-Subaru in over 20 years. I had seen the concept pictures and was intrigued, and had 'sneak peek' pictures from my friends at LGT that were circulated before the big reveal at the Auto Show. It grew on me.

Next is the size. Legacy has grown up. It is much larger and has tons of head and leg room in the front and back. The 05 LGT appeared tiny next to it. Getting it home and into the driveway, I found it didn't fit all that well. To get the nose out of the street, I have to back it in to almost touching the bushes in front of the house. It is well over a foot longer and definitely wider than Karen's 09 Outback.

As for the refinements ... where do I start? The interior is roomy, well laid out, and materials are softer including the leather. The technology is amazing! HID headlights, led lighting, keyless access, pushbutton start (yes, I got remote added), auto dimming outside mirrors with blind spot detection and puddle lighting, the 12 speaker H/K stereo ... I could go on and on. Mikey is completely stretched out in the backseat with room to spare and saying "are these heating vents? ... are these ... heated seats????"

Wasn't a fan of the CVT ... but that was the only option. And actually, it is not bad at all. Combined with the 3.6, it is smooth power from the second you hit the pedal ... although I do miss the snap of the turbo. I got 28mpg on the first tank and it uses regular gas compared to the 21-22mpg I was getting on premium fuel.

The deal was something else. I had cross-shopped a second dealer, and called a third dealer before going to my usual dealer, collected some information and numbers, then left uncommitted. A week later, I returned a call from the salesman who said he had car I wanted in the color and options and to please come back.

Armed with all the information I needed and ready to battle, he immediately took me to the Sales Manager who offered the car at $600 below invoice and increased the trade to the max on my 05 LGT with 146k miles. I was floored because I was ready to offer $500 over invoice and would have taken the final trade offer from earlier. I instantly placed a deposit on a car that I had never seen or driven; because there were no black Legacy's around, just a couple red and blue 2.5i's, one was a Premium, none were Limited, and the 3.6's were all 'In Transit'.

Five weeks later when it arrived, I was not disappointed in the least. In the time it took me to get to the dealer on Saturday morning, the said there were two other people 'interested' in my car.
    rob_m said:

The technology is amazing! HID headlights, led lighting, keyless access, pushbutton start (yes, I got remote added), auto dimming outside mirrors with blind spot detection and puddle lighting, the 12 speaker H/K stereo ... I could go on and on.

First, congrats on the new Legacy.

The jury is still out on whether I like the HIDs on my 2015 Forester 2.5i Touring. The whiter light is nice, but I don't know if they are noticeably brighter. YMMV on the Legacy because IIRC it has projector HIDs vs reflector HIDs on the Forester.

My Forester has LED parking lights, LED lights in the side mirrors (turn signals & approach lighting) but that's it. Does the Legacy have other LED lighting?

Love the keyless access / push button start. The only negative is that the lights don't stay on until you pull out the key, since there is no key to pull out. lol

Auto dimming outside mirrors are nice, but unfortunately blind spot detection isn't available on the Forester. Like the LED lights that shine on the door handles.

The jury is also still out on the H/K stereo. Forester only has 8 speakers though.
    edited September 2014
    Still alive and kicking!

My '02 OBW just turned 13, and the '14 is a few day shy of her first year. And let's not talk about our '08 Sienna van. If it wasn't for the extended warranty I'd be crying a river these days. Around $4k in engine work over the past three weeks, luckily on their dime.

Last week we went up to Geneseo (near Rochester) to visit Freshman Emily. Another 800 miles on Toyota's service loaner, so I guess something to be happy about! It's a huge change not having her around, and I really miss her face.
    I bet it is, Steve! But, with her in college now, that must mean fewer trips for marching band!
    Steve,
    Hate to tell you this but after my daughters left for college, one only came back for a few months to prep for the bar exam and free rent before her job started.

My younger daughter stayed to work in NYC and then moved to Atlanta where she's working now.

We're relieved that they're both working and successful.

We do miss them, but being an empty nester isn't bad.
    Jim
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    rob_m said:

Hi Rob, congratulations on the new car, I wish you many miles of happy and trouble free motoring.
    On another note keep her away from hailstorms. :p

Say Hi to Mikey.

Cheers Pat.

Hey Pat! Great to hear from you. Yeah ... the hail incident. The dealer NEVER heard about that on the trade. Love the new ride, although part of me misses the old one. Only drove it twice in the last three weeks. Still tooling around in the 83 Mustang GT. Gotta get in the good days before it goes into INSIDE storage for the winter. Total restoration only happens once you know ;) . Mikey is doing great. Graduated from High School this year. Working with my brother in the t-shirt printing shop until he 'finds himself' and decides what he wants to be when he grows up!
    kate5000 said:

RIP SubaruBucks. :'(

My online account was converted to Chase Freedom card today (10/1).

dcm61 said:

kate5000 said:

RIP SubaruBucks. :'(

My online account was converted to Chase Freedom card today (10/1).

Did they convert the Subaru Bucks to Freedom Points?