Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Nissan Rogue or 2014 Honda CR-V

jeff5371jeff5371 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Nissan

Hi everyone,

My wife is considering a 2014 Nissan Rogue or a 2014 Honda CRV. She really likes the Rogue's styling and the way it drives. (The Honda is a bit better) We are a bit concerned about the CVT, although it seems like many of the bugs have been worked out. We took one for a test drive and did hear some noise and it does shift differently than a normal transmission. Overall though, it didn't seem like an issue.

I'm interested in others experiences with this model and with the CVT in particular. I've done some research and have found some issues, but many seem from earlier models (2010ish). Other complaints seem to be due to the CVT just being a different animal than a normal transmission.

Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome. Thank you!

Jeff

Comments

• NHaysCorwinNHaysCorwin Member Posts: 4

I sell both, and have sold both. For me, the Rogue wins across all realms. The ride on the Rogue is phenomenal. The CRV has road noise and wind noise. I love the center cluster of the CRV with the arm rests/center stack.

The 2014 Nissan Rogue is a SUPER easy swap from a CRV, Rav4, Escape and Tucson. Fuel economy, ride, interior quality, seats, space, price, etc.

The 2014 is much more quit and peppy compared to the 2013 (less engine noise, more power). If you like the CRV more than the Rogue...or are scared of the Rogue, buy the CRV. But I've had about 10 people switch in the past 3 months.

Keep in mind, I sell both everyday, every month and have for 4 years.

• jeff5371jeff5371 Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the response! My wife has test driven a lot of cars now and it is really coming down to those two. I think she really wants a Rogue. I test drove it last night and loved it. It was exactly as you said. Peppy and powerful and I didn't detect a lot of noise when I really revved it. (And I did) We're going to test drive a CRV again today and are working on a deal with the Rogue. That will probably be our choice.

• NHaysCorwinNHaysCorwin Member Posts: 4

Good luck, let me know if you need any help or have any other questions.

• lori37lori37 Member Posts: 4

Yes, the Rogue is superior to the CRV, IMO.. I owned a CRV and traded it in for a Rogue. The Rogue is a much more quiet and comfortable ride, and I have had no issues with the CVT.

• zoolhousezoolhouse Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2012 rogue and its awesome except for the cvt issue which was repair. It turns out the cvt censor goes into safe mode which makes the car seemed like it lost power. Nissan is aware and free of charge, they are upgrading the car with a transmission cooling kit. This I may add was the only issue which it happened when traveling up hill for more than 6 miles.
  • dmw56dmw56 Member Posts: 3

The frequent CVT issues and cost for repair once out of warranty should stop anyone from buying a Rouge. I've owned 2 Honda's and 2 Nissan's. Honda's last longer and can take more punishment period. My wife's dealer maintained Rogue lasted 130,000 mi and became a Junker. While both Honda's went over 200,0000 and sold for $$$$. Lastly, costly repairs seemed more Frequent with the Rogue than any other daily drive car I've owned. Along with frequent trips to the dealer for the same problem. Go Honda for the peace of mind on repairs , overall cost of ownership, and resale value.

• nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162

I know the original post was posted some months back and that my comment will be moot, but I'd defintely - and have - go/gone with the Rogue. It's just a MUCH nicer car than the CR-V. It's ride is SO much more comfortable and luxurious than the CR-V, and where the CR-V feels like an economy car, even in the top trim EX-L w/Navi level, the new Rogue feels like a much more expensive car. The Rogue feels planted and firm, whereas the CR-V feels jittery, nervous and cheap. The Rogue's seats are SUPREMELY comfortable, whereas the CR-V's seats hurt my back within ten minutes of driving it.

My mother has owned THREE CR-V's and I have liked them all - the last iteration being my lease favorite (2012 model) - and they have been durable/reliable. But, their ride is choppy, they're very noisy (I'm surprised more reviews don't mention this), and they feel slow. This is my second Rogue. I loved my first one (2011 model), didn't have ANY issues with it whatsoever. And, as soon as I saw the new 2014 model, I made plans to trade-up and I did last month. I absolutely LOVE my new '14 Rogue SL AWD w/premium package. It feels SO much better than any CR-V I have ever driven and it is a major upgrade from the last Rogue, which itself was just as good as, but more fun to drive, than the CR-V. And, this is not even taking into consideration just how many CR-V's there are in the world. They're EVERYWHERE! The Rogue gives you a bit more individuality - and looks ten times better doing it. :)

• marcus216marcus216 Member Posts: 78

My wife and I were looking for a CUV. We looked at the CRV and we liked it. We then went to our local Nissan dealer and test drove the Rogue SL. Great interior, comfortable seats. I felt like I was sitting in a small Lexus. I looked at my wife and said, "This is a great car." Then I had the misfortune of turning on the ignition. My vision of a great car and possible purchase went up in smoke with the powertrain. The engine sounds like one in a 1998 Chevy Cavalier. Raucous, loud, the most unrefined four cylinder engine I have ever driven. Part of it may be the CVT, but it is more than just that. The car whined and had very poor acceleration. Put the foot down on the gas and nothing happens. I would never want to have to merge on a crowded freeway in this vehicle. I was so disappointed. How could Nissan manufacture such a poor powertrain. FYI, we drove the Subaru Forester after we left the Nissan dealer. That was an opposite experience, mediocre interior, but great powertrain. The numbers on both engines are about the same, both have CVT's, but the Forester is so much quieter and smoother. The engine much more refined. Much better pickup. Now if I could put the Rogue interior into the Subaru, that would be one hell of a car.