Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
edited January 22 in General

This is the all-new continuation of "Stories from the Sales Frontlines." The focus of that discussion has evolved over the years, so we're making the title more inclusive, asking members to post stories from the perspective of each side of the transaction.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Tagged:

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited June 2014

I'm 2nd post....yee haw!!!!!!!!

Do I get a badge?

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

Great, but will it be possible to refer to old thread?

And one more thing how do I find and add a discussion to "My Bookmarks?"

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

@bwia said:
    Great, but will it be possible to refer to old thread?

And one more thing how do I find and add a discussion to "My Bookmarks?"

If you have posted in that discussion, click on "Participated" and all your past post topics are chronologically listed.

If you are looking for a brand or model or a keyword, use the "Car forums" link at the top left of this page to get some ways of searching for models, brands, keywords, or poster names.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432

if you want to bookmark this one, there is a little 5 point star next to the title up above. just click that and it turns yellow.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

@stickguy said:
    if you want to bookmark this one, there is a little 5 point star next to the title up above. just click that and it turns yellow.

Thanks @stickguy, it worked like a charm.

@imidazol97 said:
    If you have posted in that discussion, click on "Participated" and all your past post topics are chronologically listed.

Thanks imidazol97. I will try that later but stickguy's approach works for me.

@imidazol97 said:
    If you are looking for a brand or model or a keyword, use the "Car forums" link at the top left of this page to get some ways of searching for models, brands, keywords, or poster names.

Thanks for that. While this new board loads faster it just seems a little cumbersome and not very user friendly.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    edited June 2014

@graphicguy said:
    I'm 2nd post....yee haw!!!!!!!!
    Do I get a badge?

No, but it's almost like you're famous. Just think, if this discussion goes on for years and years like the other did, visitors loading this discussion for the very first time will see YOUR name associated with the first member post. And I gave you a "like." :)

Re: the old discussion. I'm not sure what will become of it. This is the first one we're retiring on the new platform. Hopefully it can be archived.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    edited June 2014

Okay, here am I also. Now I need to add this to what shows up on my list.

Looks like I've done it.

Something tells me we won't get to 100K on this one anytime soon, but one never knows.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited June 2014

@Kirstie_H said:
    No, but it's almost like you're famous. Just think, if this discussion goes on for years and years like the other did, visitors loading this discussion for the very first time will see YOUR name associated with the first member post. And I gave you a "like." :)

WOW! I'm almost famous....... Thanks...... B):):p;):D

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024

@Kirstie_H said:
    This is the all-new continuation of "Stories from the Sales Frontlines." The focus of that discussion has evolved over the years, so we're making the title more inclusive, asking members to post stories from the perspective of each side of the transaction.

Wow, that's a throwback to the old, old, old board software (Well Engaged? I forget its name) where you had to do this all the time to keep a discussion going after a certain number of posts.

The more things change...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@bwia said:
    Thanks for that. While this new board loads faster it just seems a little cumbersome and not very user friendly.

Agreed. It is very dumb and complex at the same time.

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855

We don't even have a page number yet. Talk about NEW!

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684

@graphicguy said:
    WOW! I'm almost famous....... Thanks...... B):):p;):D

Well, you may be almost famous. But are you a golden god, Tiny Dancer?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057

@ab348 said:
    Wow, that's a throwback to the old, old, old board software (Well Engaged? I forget its name) where you had to do this all the time to keep a discussion going after a certain number of posts.

The more things change...

Having been through the archives just a few months ago, I saw all the discussions 'blah blah blah #6' and 'blah blah blah #7', where post #1 was a canned statement from the (then) host about this being a continuation.

IIRC, the limit then was pretty small (1000 posts?). At least with 100K posts before we have to close it down it will take some time. If we average 25 posts a day, that's about 9000 a year - would take 11 years to get to 100K posts again.

C'mon, people, I'm sure we can average more than 25 a day.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175

Anyone have an actual story about buying or selling a car? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited June 2014

Minnie Pearl

"I'm just so proud to be here" !! Probably not many will remember that one. At least I got on the first page.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

edited June 2014

We were discussing what is the real invoice number. I believe the invoice numbers have been raised such as those shown in Edmunds to fool the purchaser. It's my feeling profit margin at least double that indicated by the reported invoice. I operated on that basis negotiating my Malibu purchase.

edited June 2014

@laurasdada said:
    Well, you may be almost famous. But are you a golden god, Tiny Dancer?

LD....got the reference!!!!! ;)

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2014

I bought one and sold two in the last 3 weeks. One sold with a sign on it and the other one went to a craigslist responder an hour out of town. The used van we bought came from a dealer 20 minutes away after we did a three day road trip down to Wisconsin and test drove eight or so new cars down there, and tested another 4 or 5 vans within an hour of home.

I almost lost the local sale of my '97 Outback. The buyer saw the sign, drove the car and went home and raided his strongbox, all within an hour. Then I screwed up the title and had to wait until the next morning to talk to DMV (the joys of a small town, no line and the woman fixed it in 2 minutes). Meanwhile the buyer was having a little remorse and thought he heard a wheel bearing noise. So I knocked $100 off and since then I've seen him cruising around a lot. He claimed he was going to check it out and then give it to his daughter, but the way he had shined it up, I bet he keeps it for himself. It was a great winter ride.

The van "sold" sight unseen and while I was waiting for the buyer to drive the hour to my house to pick it up, I could have sold it to a local guy that was sort of a distant relation. That after it had been on craigslist a week and on the street with a sign on it for several days with zero interest. Go figure.

@kyfdx@Edmunds said:
    Anyone have an actual story about buying or selling a car? ;)

Not yet. But, I could retell my fabulous Jos A. Bank story!

If only I had cashed in my 401k/IRA prior to the Greenwich Concours...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Not a sales story, but a sales question(s)/observation. It's no secret that my two favorite brands of cars are Acura and BMW (not neccessarily in that order).. BMW's are fair in retaining their value, hurt by the fact that BMW coroporate offers sizeable subsidies on their value to make the leases more attrative. Yet, they still sell for a premium on the used market.

Another one, Acura, is known as being the brand that has one of the best resale values among all brands, have been discounting their cars, as in the case with the new RLX, OVER $10K off MSRP. So, the question here is, even though the previous RL was also heavily discounted, the resale value doesn't "appear" to be affected.

Am I missing a piece of the puzzle here?

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145

@Michaell said:
    IIRC, the limit then was pretty small (1000 posts?). At least with 100K posts before we have to close it down it will take some time.

It was 500 posts, so that's quite a few less than 100k. It took us more than 8 years to get to 100k.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

Well, I am the first person to post from London England.
    That Joseph El Banks story is going to get lost in the archives.
    I may be the first person to post here using a Galaxy Tab10.
    All I can repo r t is there are lots of Mercedes here....about 15X as many as bmw!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

@imidazol97 said:
    We were discussing what is the real invoice number. I believe the invoice numbers have been raised such as those shown in Edmunds to fool the purchaser. It's my feeling profit margin at least double that indicated by the reported invoice. I operated on that basis negotiating my Malibu purchase.

I think it's been that way for a long time, though it may be getting worse. For instance, BMWs don't have "holdback", but it's common knowledge that there is 5% of invoice of back-end money that BMW pays the dealer (which varies by CSI scores and volume)..

And, some makes have such thin margins between MSRP and invoice, that there has to be more money on the back end (Volvo comes to mind).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I received a letter addressed to the previous owners of our home. It's from a company wanting to reunited them with their unclaimed funds from somewhere in exchange for 20% of the unstated amount. Or they want to find their heirs for the same commission goal.

I looked up the folks who used to live here and I find a mortgage company in Florida and a Sears amount in TX for more than $100 out of the states participating in the treasure hunt unclaimed funds page. None here in Ohio for the folks.

Is it likely that's what the company is wanting to get 20% of? --something related to the mortgage? Either insurance refund or a settlement from the large mortgage company?

I hope I can find the folks to forward this information that there may be missing money owed to them.

speaking of missing money, recently someone that works with my wife said she saw out name on the NJ missing funds list. Apparently there is a website where you can search by name to see what comes up. She must have had some, so looked for other people she knew. And out name popped up.

was obviously us, because the address was a bastardized mix of 1/2 our current, and 1/2 our last one. and the date was in 1997, right around when we moved. So, I filled out the couple of online question, and a few weeks later we got a legal looking form from the state. Filled that out, and got it notarized, and sent it back. And yup, in a few weeks, a check showed up.

I never did figure out what it was from (obviously related to the house closing), but it would have been exceptionally easy for whoever had the money to find us, if they ever bothered to look. Instead, NJ used our money interest free for a decade!

and I almost had a shopping story today. Had to take my daughter over to the mall late in the afternoon to get a graduation dress (for her, not me!) and we planned to stop at the Volvo dealer, Alas, it got too late, and the traffic at rush hour is nasty over that way, so we will have to do it some other time.

@stickguy said:
    speaking of missing money, recently someone that works with my wife said she saw out name on the NJ missing funds list

http://www.missingmoney.com/
    is a group of several states that share their information on unclaimed funds. Otherwise, check each state in which you lived or did business for unclaimed funds.

edited June 2014

The last 2 cars I sold myself, I wasn't actually actively selling.

In 2003 my fleet consisted of a '78 Olds Delta 88 4-door, a '79 Buick Electra 225 Park Avenue, and my '68 Cutlass. Yes, in 2003.

I'll leave the Cutlass out of this as it is a hobby car. For years when I lived and worked downtown, it was the only car I had. I walked most everywhere I needed to go. When I bought a house away from downtown in 1997, I needed a beater, and wanted a rear-drive car, preferably an Olds since I was familiar with the engine. The '78 Delta I found had a Rocket 350, was in reasonable shape, and was cheap - $2000. After I got it I found, of course, that it wasn't as good as I thought, and I went on a project for a few years upgrading it inside and out, though mechanically it was really pretty good. By the time 2002 came along, it was more than presentable and not bad at all for a car approaching 25 years of age. It was a good runner too, as these cars tended to be.

In the fall of 2001 the Buick presented itself, a total creampuff owned by an elderly gent who had given up the little driving he did, and it was a steal. I had to buy it. So now I owned 2 boats. I had the old fellow store the Buick in his condo garage over the winter because I didn't want to drive it in the slop. In March, two things happened. He started bugging me to get it out of his garage, so I reluctantly parked it in my driveway and the Olds went to the curb outside my house. About a week later, we had a big ice storm. I remember hearing a big noise outside that Saturday morning, looked out the window, and saw a massive section of a maple tree that was next to the street, laying in the street, next to the Olds.

I got dressed and went out to look at it. The fallen section was big enough that it was blocking the entire street. When it gave way, it raked the drivers side of the Olds pretty good, mashing the front fender, ripping off the door mirror, and doing some other assorted damage. It was a city tree, and after some wrangling with them, their insurance company agreed to go good for the repair. I found a similar car in a junkyard, got the necessary repair parts for short money, and came out about $1000 ahead on the insurance claim. So after it was repaired, it looked better than ever, with fresh paint on the drivers side of the car, but it wasn't getting much use since I was driving the Buick. One day a knock comes at my door and there is a guy there wanting to know if that was my Delta 88 and was I interested in selling it. He wanted it and I sold it for more than I paid originally.

About a year later a similar thing happened. I was outside and a car pulls up. The guy gets out, wants to see the Buick and after looking it over asks if I wanted to sell it. I did, and flipped it to him for a grand more than I had paid. He then went and had it professionally repainted, did some other small cosmetic things (it needed very little) and drove it for a while. I still see it occasionally around town, though he has sold it subsequently. It was nice to not have to work to sell two old tuna boats!

edited June 2014

I am reading the online version and I'M confused by the title for an
    article in the Cincinnati Enquirer this morning:

Maybe I need another mug of coffee.

• jsyodesjsyodes Member Posts: 21

Wait, this discussion is limited to buying and selling cars?!?! No razors, washing machines, air conditioners, etc? I am outta here. :D

I made an offer on a house last night...er, on topic, it has a two car garage and I only have one car at the moment. On the way to lunch with the realtor, we passed by a BRGish used Miata with a tan top. If we were already living here (Las Cruces), I would have grabbed the phone number.

Have seen a dozen or so convertibles in the last couple of days but only two had the tops down.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    @abacomike says:

I just got home from Naples and noticed the new forum. The British even know about this thread thanks to driver!

2021 Genesis G90

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057

@stever said:
    I made an offer on a house last night...er, on topic, it has a two car garage and I only have one car at the moment. On the way to lunch with the realtor, we passed by a BRGish used Miata with a tan top. If we were already living here (Las Cruces), I would have grabbed the phone number.

Have seen a dozen or so convertibles in the last couple of days but only two had the tops down.

Congrats on the (potential) new house!

Was it perhaps too hot to have the tops down on the convertibles?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

An exotic purchase may be coming soon

In an earlier post I mentioned that I was considering ordering a used car directly from Japan for my Caribbean home. I am using a local broker and he sent me the below link.

I went through the website and this white 1999 automatic, two-door, 4WD model caught my eye. It looks clean inside and out, especially the headlights. The mileage at 60,800 miles seems very reasonable. Price, including cost, insurance, and freight (CIF) US$ 4,600. http://www.picknbuy24.com/detail/TOYOTA/RAV4/16859.html

Like *Driver100, I want to have my own wheels rather than spend $70.00 a day on rentals. It's a risk but one I am willing to take.

Any thoughts?

Looks nice enough. And not all that pricey.

Nothing to buy that's already on the island?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx@Edmunds said:
    Nothing to buy that's already on the island?

Yes, but it would be twice as expensive.

Interesting to note, while we were in Bermuda last week (absolutely beautiful place, with wonderful people living there, BTW), I struck up a conversation with a person on the water taxi who has lived in Bermuda all his life.

He said they don't have a personal income tax on the island. But, just as a "for example", if you bought a new car, you pay 130% of the U.S. retail. Hmmmn...no wonder everyone drives mopeds/scooters and teeny cars there.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@graphicguy said:
    But, just as a "for example", if you bought a new car, you pay 130% of the U.S. retail. Hmmmn...no wonder everyone drives mopeds/scooters and teeny cars there.

It's more than that - it's a 150% tax and each household is allowed to own only 1 car. There's also an annual road tax based on the vehicle size that ranges from $250 to $1600 a year. The goal of course is to reduce congestion. It's a tiny island.

Been there 3 times. You really don't need a car.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    @stever said:

"If we were already living here (Las Cruces), I would have grabbed the phone number."

I've been to Las Cruces a few times. Great place to vacation. The art colony is outstanding and a must see for visitors.

Good luck - and make sure your air-conditioning is working properly. It gets hot out there at times.

2021 Genesis G90

• justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70

@kyfdx@Edmunds said:
    I think it's been that way for a long time, though it may be getting worse. For instance, BMWs don't have "holdback", but it's common knowledge that there is 5% of invoice of back-end money that BMW pays the dealer (which varies by CSI scores and volume)..

>

And, some makes have such thin margins between MSRP and invoice, that there has to be more money on the back end (Volvo comes to mind).

The salesperson I dealt with at BMW said that the back-end money goes to the owner at year end, but it doesn't make it way down to the sales team. Is that correct?

In order to sell the car at invoice, he wanted to make sure I give them all 10s in the survey, which I guess helps them with some bonuses?

And also the GM wanted to make sure I name our next child or grandchild after him :o

@robr2 said:
    It's more than that - it's a 150% tax and each household is allowed to own only 1 car. There's also an annual road tax based on the vehicle size that ranges from $250 to $1600 a year. The goal of course is to reduce congestion. It's a tiny island.

We had no problem whatsoever getting around on their public busses and water taxis. I can see where no car is needed....maybe the scooters would be a nice convenience.

I actually spoke to one of the residents who was running a jewelry shop (all hand designed) in St George. She said she was looking to move. As she put it, it is a tiny island, and everyone knows everyone else's business, to the point of intrusion.

Replying how I was shocked anyone would like to move from such a great place, the artist told me it was a scene out of "Twilight Zone" for her.....where she felt imprisoned by the island's "tiny-ness", regardless of its great beauty.

Moral of the story.....never assume paradise is as beautiful to live in as it is to look at.

GG: I, too, was quite enamored of Bermuda. Had similar intersting conversations with the Manager of a small art gallery in the Hamilton Princess hotel. Walked everywhere local in Southampton and used the free water shuttle between the Southampton and Hamilton Princess.

I liked the odd (to me) assortment of small cars, the IIRC, the Pugeout hard top convertibles. Or maybe Renaults? Mostly, the relaxed atmosphere (when not in a taxi/van!), beautiful warm water and, as you noted, equally warm people.

LD...saw the Peugot covertible. Also interesting, saw modern MGs/Rovers there, too. Surprised there were no "SMART" cars, though.

Found out they had a shortage of teachers (which peaked my wife's interest) and pharmacists. Ordinarily, they fill positions as much as possible with the natives. But, as their saying goes there, the biggest Bermudean Exports are people anr Rum. So, there are opportunities for both. Unless yoiu're of Bermudan ancestry, you can't own land. And, as one South African pharmicist told us, she could have her work visa withdrawn at any time if things change. But, she's been there 5 years, so far.

We'll go back...probably sooner rather than later.

@Michaell said:
    Was it perhaps too hot to have the tops down on the convertibles?

Gee, it's only been in the high 90s and cloudless. Don't know why the vert owners don't have the tops down. Wasn't even any dust blowing around. :wink:

• sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984

My claim to fame on this new site will be the fact that I arrived here all by myself and even bookmarked it successfully. As most of you know, this is quite a feat for me!

One feature that I like very much is that I now get those email alerts that new posts are on the site. We had that nice feature under the older system.

Richard

@graphicguy said:

I had similar converstaions regarding ownership. As well as the relatively new concept of a measurable unemployment rate and the import of foreign workers. And, of course, wealth!

I hope to go back, with someone with whom I can share the experience...

@sterlingdog said:
    My claim to fame on this new site will be the fact that I arrived here all by myself and even bookmarked it successfully. As most of you know, this is quite a feat for me!

Congratulations. Glad to see you're here.