Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    @sterlingdog said:

"My claim to fame on this new site will be the fact that I arrived here all by myself and even bookmarked it successfully. As most of you know, this is quite a feat for me!"

Richard, we are all very proud of you for navigating here on your own without guidance or help.

It's going to be hard, at first, remembering the title of this new forum thread. If you asked me right now to provide you with the title, I could not without looking at it physically.

2021 Genesis G90

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435

Back in the 70s all the cars in Bermuda where British. That was cool seeing them. Most never made It over here.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118

@graphicguy said:

Found out they had a shortage of teachers (which peaked my wife's interest) and pharmacists. Ordinarily, they fill positions as much as possible with the natives. But, as their saying goes there, the biggest Bermudean Exports are people anr Rum. So, there are opportunities for both. Unless yoiu're of Bermudan ancestry, you can't own land. And, as one South African pharmicist told us, she could have her work visa withdrawn at any time if things change. But, she's been there 5 years, so far.

Last year, my wife found a job posting for Executive Director of Early Childhood Programs for Bermuda. Three year contract, paying something like $130K per year. We talked about it for, oh, about an hour before she decided she couldn't leave her dogs behind for that long.

Since my work is on-line, I could have easily made the transition and worked from "home" there. Although, I'm sure there would have been many distractions.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Speaking of rum, I still have a few bottles each of light and dark Goslings 151 rum in the basement. From my honeymoon. So quite aged at this point. That is some powerful stuff. Rum swizzles that will burn your nose hairs.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

@bwia said:
    An exotic purchase may be coming soon

In an earlier post I mentioned that I was considering ordering a used car directly from Japan for my Caribbean home. I am using a local broker and he sent me the below link.

I went through the website and this white 1999 automatic, two-door, 4WD model caught my eye. It looks clean inside and out, especially the headlights. The mileage at 60,800 miles seems very reasonable. Price, including cost, insurance, and freight (CIF) US$ 4,600. http://www.picknbuy24.com/detail/TOYOTA/RAV4/16859.html

Like *Driver100, I want to have my own wheels rather than spend $70.00 a day on rentals. It's a risk but one I am willing to take.

Any thoughts?

Just a quick thought from the UK. Remember, buying isn't as expensive as you first think, you will be able to sell your car one day too. Also, it is nice to drive a car you actually like. Go for it!

Btw....this using a tablet with British Internet is almost impossible.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

@abacomike said:
    sterlingdog said:

"My claim to fame on this new site will be the fact that I arrived here all by myself and even bookmarked it successfully. As most of you know, this is quite a feat for me!"

Richard, we are all very proud of you for navigating here on your own without guidance or help.

It's going to be hard, at first, remembering the title of this new forum thread. If you asked me right now to provide you with the title, I could not without looking at it physically.

Yes, good work getting here Richard.

I also have trouble remembering the title of the new site. I have to try to find it and bookmark it on 4 computers including this tablet....w n inch is a real challenge.

Btw....Bermuda is beautiful. I believe they produce electricity from using generators that are in the ocean....work off ocean currents. Sounds like quite a system.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

@bwia said:
    An exotic purchase may be coming soon

In an earlier post I mentioned that I was considering ordering a used car directly from Japan for my Caribbean home. I am using a local broker and he sent me the below link.

I went through the website and this white 1999 automatic, two-door, 4WD model caught my eye. It looks clean inside and out, especially the headlights. The mileage at 60,800 miles seems very reasonable. Price, including cost, insurance, and freight (CIF) US$ 4,600. http://www.picknbuy24.com/detail/TOYOTA/RAV4/16859.html

Like *Driver100, I want to have my own wheels rather than spend $70.00 a day on rentals. It's a risk but one I am willing to take.

Any thoughts?

Be real careful of avoiding any car from the Fukushima area. The "glow" on the paint may not mean a great wax job.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@driver100 said:
    Bermuda is beautiful. I believe they produce electricity from using generators that are in the ocean....work off ocean currents. Sounds like quite a system.

Unfortunately, that never got off the ground. The company that proposed it was based in my town and it's founder is a prolific inventor. But commercialization wasn't fruitful so the technology isn't being developed.

Bermuda relies on diesel generators powered by imported oil. Solar is starting to become a popular option as electricity is very expensive.

@Michaell said:

But think of the wear and tear on your car delivering pizzas to the mainland. :p

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited June 2014

What am I missing? Who would spend that kind of money for a car with that milage...even a Honda? Not to mention that the seller is a dealer posting in the "by owner" section.

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4522981291.html

it's a stick. So of course worth more!

what can I say. Honda's get crazy money, even with lots of miles. That one probably has a lot of life left in it too. at least you don't have to worry about the AT crapping out on you.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited June 2014

@oldfarmer50 said:
    What am I missing? Who would spend that kind of money for a car with that milage...even a Honda? Not to mention that the seller is a dealer posting in the "by owner" section.

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4522981291.html

No one shies away from big mile Hondas!

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

@Michaell said:

Michaell...that had to be a tough decision. Any particular reason you couldn't take the dogs with you?

@stickguy said:
    Speaking of rum, I still have a few bottles each of light and dark Goslings 151 rum in the basement. From my honeymoon. So quite aged at this point. That is some powerful stuff. Rum swizzles that will burn your nose hairs.

Stick...did a rum cruise while in Bermuda...sponsored bpy Goslings. That 151 put us back in our cruise cabin early.

@graphicguy said:
    Michaell...that had to be a tough decision. Any particular reason you couldn't take the dogs with you?

we didn't look into it that closely ... and my wife was looking or a "smaller" job at the time, not a bigger one

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2014

@abacomike, missed your reply earlier - we hit the art museum today and enjoyed a "small paintings" exhibit from Cheech Marin's collection. We're heading back to the UP tomorrow, having enjoyed a nice spell of "mild" weather here this week - don't think it got over 95.

The AC on the '09 Grand Caravan we picked up a few weeks back is blowing nice and cold at 125k.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited June 2014

@bwia said: An exotic purchase may be coming soon

Any thoughts?

@oldfarmer50 said:

Be real careful of avoiding any car from the Fukushima area. The "glow" on the paint may not mean a great wax job.

Excellent point but how does one verify that the car is not from that area? I believe the Japanese government had placed a moratorium on the movement of people and property from the Fukushima area to prevent such incidents.

Nonetheless, the price, appearance and mileage is extremely attractive to me, though one of my daughter's is dismayed that I would consider buying a 15 year old vehicle.

@Michaell said:

Michaell....we spoke about what it would take to pack up and move to Bermuda (not very seriously). Sell my house. Packup and move belongings/cars, etc 1200 miles to Bermuda. Find a place to rent (not alowed to buy). I can't even fathom what it would cost to move that much, that distance, over water.

The wife could teach. Me? Not sure if I could do what I do there. It certainly would mean a lot more traveling for me, if I could even swing it. I told her I could set up a little shop over by the Dockyards or in Hamilton to sell internet service, water, etc. I know there is a wifi provider by the cruise ship docks. But, it's not very far reaching and pretty darn slow. I know I could do better. P:lus, selling refreshments and souvenirs sounds like a low stress job for me (something I'd welcome).

Hmmmmm???????? I wonder!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984

@bwia said:

Like your daughter, I,too, am a little dismayed that you would purchase a 15 year old car sight unseen from overseas. I don't wish to dampen your buying spirit, but age is age. Though the appearance and mileage seem attractive, I would have to wonder about all of the inner workings and hidden parts. What do you know at this point about the transmission, braking system, ac/heat system, undercarriage rust, etc. Another factor is that you can't run down to see the dealer if there is a major problem with your purchase. I could be wrong, but I think that you are a bit unsure yourself. Remember---if in doubt, don't act. Best wishes with this decision.

Richard

@graphicguy said:

While you are wondering, I'll help you out a little on shipping your personal belongings. One car will be around $2,000 to $3,000 and, depending on poundage, expect to pay a minimum of $5,000 for a SMALL house load. With furniture, it's often better to purchase new when you arrive in the country. You can sell it to an x-pat if you decide to come home. Same with the car. American cars are often sought after to use as taxies. Personally, I would ship nothing and keep my home here, at least for 2 or 3 years. If you decide to stay forever, you can sell your home here later. During the interim, you can rent your home here or just put a monitor on it and watch it from Bermuda. Rent in Bermuda won't be cheap. Teaching school there will be different. Moving to another country is a MAJOR decision---requires much thought and preparation.

Richard

@sterlingdog said:
    While you are wondering, I'll help you out a little on shipping your personal belongings. One car will be around $2,000 to $3,000 and, depending on poundage, expect to pay a minimum of $5,000 for a SMALL house load. With furniture, it's often better to purchase new when you arrive in the country. You can sell it to an x-pat if you decide to come home. Same with the car. American cars are often sought after to use as taxies. Personally, I would ship nothing and keep my home here, at least for 2 or 3 years. If you decide to stay forever, you can sell your home here later. During the interim, you can rent your home here or just put a monitor on it and watch it from Bermuda. Rent in Bermuda won't be cheap. Teaching school there will be different. Moving to another country is a MAJOR decision---requires much thought and preparation.

All excellent advice.

In our brief discussion, we figured we'd keep everything we have in Colorado - daughter would continue to live in it - and rent what we needed in Bermuda. Given that the wife's new salary would have been almost 3x what she was making at the time, we could have afforded a 1 or 2 bedroom place there.

I was fascinated with the choice in cars - lots of things not available in the US. Though I suspect that a scooter would suffice for a majority of the transportation needs.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@sterlingdog said:

Richard and MIcheall....just day dreaming. That would be a HUGE lifestyle change. Not that it would be a bad one. But, I'm pretty tied to the lifestyle and geographic area I live in now.

If I were in my 20s? Maybe even 30s? No wife? I could see myself chucking it all here and making that move, though.

Besides, I would own the biggest car on the island, as well as the most unique. Don't recall seeing any Acura TLs there.

In the past I've given some serious thought to movign to Puerto Rico....U.S. holding, tropical climate, cosmopolitan area.

When I was talking about that, friends asked why I just didn't move to Florida.

No offense to Mike, but Florida just doesn't "do it" for me.

@sterlingdog said:
    Like your daughter, I,too, am a little dismayed that you would purchase a 15 year old car sight unseen from overseas. I don't wish to dampen your buying spirit, but age is age.

Though the appearance and mileage seem attractive, I would have to wonder about all of the inner workings and hidden parts. What do you know at this point about the transmission, braking system, ac/heat system, undercarriage rust, etc. Another factor is that you can't run down to see the dealer if there is a major problem with your purchase.

I could be wrong, but I think that you are a bit unsure yourself. Remember---if in doubt, don't act. Best wishes with this decision.

Richard, you are indeed a wise man. To use *driver's banished word, I have a dilemma. My local agent suggested a 2002 RAV4 with 35,000 miles for US $7,300 CIF. (Japanese cars tend to be low mileage because of limited opportunities for long-distance driving).

The killer (pardon the pun) of this deal is the additional local governmental charges in St. Lucia that tacks another US $12,000 for customs duties, VAT taxes and an environmental tax for vehicles over 5 years old. That's a total cost of almost US $20,000 for a 12-year old car.

Wintering in the Caribbean is great but it can be an expensive proposition. Oh, the price we pay for love (wife).

@graphicguy said:

"No offense to Mike, but Florida just doesn't "do it" for me."

I got news for you, the part of Florida I live in doesn't do it for me either. But Ponte Vedra Beach would. That's where my brother lives - 25 miles south of Jacksonville and 35 miles north of St. Augustine - perfect!

The weather in the fall and winter is similar to that in NC and SC and coastal GA. Very little traffic and a perfect climate.

There are some very nice places in FL if you look carefully. Panama Beach is another great place to live.

2021 Genesis G90

@graphicguy said:

I'd look a lot closer at P.R. before making the move. The economy sucks and crime is at an all time high.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499

@graphicguy said: . . .but Florida just doesn't "do it" for me.

>

What! You don't like high humidity & heat, mixed with bugs in huge numbers? To say nothing of the industrial-grade old folks, with their driving "anomailes."

Imagine.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

@abacomike said:
    graphicguy said:

"No offense to Mike, but Florida just doesn't "do it" for me."

I got news for you, the part of Florida I live in doesn't do it for me either. But Ponte Vedra Beach would. That's where my brother lives - 25 miles south of Jacksonville and 35 miles north of St. Augustine - perfect!

The weather in the fall and winter is similar to that in NC and SC and coastal GA. Very little traffic and a perfect climate.

There are some very nice places in FL if you look carefully. Panama Beach is another great place to live.

I really do like Jacksonville---beautiful city, very clean, very friendly, and easy to navigate. Weather---not too hot and not too cool. My sister and BIL have a lovely third home in Port St. Lucie, but I'm not attracted to that area, though Vero Beach is nice for eating and shopping. BTW, BIL has passed his six month survival mark by two weeks. I think that he's trying to hold out for the children who arrive from Dubai next Wednesday. Only 5 more days and we'll pray for each one of those.

Richard

@cdnpinhead‌ said:

"What! You don't like high humidity & heat, mixed with bugs in huge numbers? To say nothing of the industrial-grade old folks, with their driving "anomailes."

Imagine.

Now now, pinhead, be kinder to your elders - they haven't done anything to deserve your ridicule. :smiley:

As for bugs, we don't have many - much less than most places. As for heat and humidity, only June-October. The rest of the year is delightful!

2021 Genesis G90

@sterlingdog said:
    BTW, BIL has passed his six month survival mark by two weeks. I think that he's trying to hold out for the children who arrive from Dubai next Wednesday. Only 5 more days and we'll pray for each one of those.

Here's hoping it all works out and that your BIL can see the kids one more time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

That post already got flagged and removed.

@isellhondas said:

"That post already got flagged and removed."

What are you referring to, isell? What post are you referring to? I have no idea what your post means!

2021 Genesis G90

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

@isellhondas said:
    That post already got flagged and removed.

Well, someone (don't remember who) posted a CL ad about some dealer was posing as a private seller. When I clicked on the link provided there was a message from CL saying that ad had been flagged and deleted.

Now, it appears the post I had responded to was also deleted.

I'm not going nuts....really!

edited June 2014

@isellhondas said:

Now, it appears the post I had responded to was also deleted.

Not so.

Isell's was commenting on the my post where I wondered why someone would pay close to $6k for a Honda with 190,000 miles. The CL ad I posted was indeed flagged and removed no doubt because it was recognized as a dealer posting in the "by owner" section. Many small dealers are too cheap to pay the $5 Craigslist charges for "by dealer" listings. Personally I don't trust such a dealer because first of all, if they're too cheap to spend 5 bucks how much are they spending to recondition the car. Also it just seem dishonest for a dealer to misrepresent themselves as a private seller.

My original post is still there.

@isellhondas‌ said:

"Now, it appears the post I had responded to was also deleted.
    I'm not going nuts....really!"

Isell, maybe you are the sane one and the rest of the world is nuts! Ever consider that? :wink:

2021 Genesis G90

edited June 2014
    ""SERVICE REMINDERS""

Most of the newer model vehicles (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, GM, etc.) have reminders when a service is needed. I know *driver100's BMW 535 alerts him when the next oil chane is required. In my Mercedes, it alerts me by "tone" as well as a pop-up alert on my instrument cluster screen (not the NAV screen).

About a week ago, a message alert popped up on my screen which stated the next "A Service" was due in 170 days. There are 2 types of service - an A and a B. Then, today, another message popped up stating the next "A Service" was due in 4500 miles.

My question is why does it alert me in "days" to the next service and "miles" to the next service? Sometimes days, sometimes miles. Why not one or the other?

Could it be programmed to measure oil condition, vehicle use, temperatures, engine wear, etc? I looked it up on an online manual and all it says is when a certain type of service is needed, an alert will pop up as a message. Also that reminders will pop up routinely.

Any ideas about how this works?

2021 Genesis G90

it's an either/or. My guess, it decides which one is going to be sooner every time the routine runs, and that is what gets displayed. Maybe you are right on the border where it is going to be close whether you hit miles or time sooner?

@stickguy said:

"it's an either/or. My guess, it decides which one is going to be sooner every time the routine runs, and that is what gets displayed. Maybe you are right on the border where it is going to be close whether you hit miles or time sooner?"

That makes sense. The car is about a week shy of being 7 months old and has 5600 miles on the odometer. The owner's manual says the A Service is due when the car hits 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first. So when I calculate mileage expected by the 12 month term, it will be around 10,000 miles. So your assessment is probably correct - it's about even for miles and days to the first service.

The A Service is a less involved service at 10,000, 30,000, 50,000, miles, etc., and the B Service is more involved and occurs at 20,000, 40,000, 60,000, miles, etc.

This will be the first car I've owned in the past 15 years that will get it's first oil change when I still own the car. A sort of milestone for me - no pun intended!

2021 Genesis G90

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

@Kirstie_H said:
    This is the all-new continuation of "Stories from the Sales Frontlines." The focus of that discussion has evolved over the years, so we're making the title more inclusive, asking members to post stories from the perspective of each side of the transaction.

Great but you misnamed it, it should be "The forum about buying and selling cars where we talk about everything buy buying and selling cars." B)

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

@stickguy said:
    speaking of missing money, recently someone that works with my wife said she saw out name on the NJ missing funds list. Apparently there is a website where you can search by name to see what comes up. She must have had some, so looked for other people she knew. And out name popped up.

Several years ago I did that and found out the state had something of mine. I filled out the paperwork and sent in the proper paperwork and got a check for a whopping $0.35.

Turns out that I got one last dividend check from the one share of AT&T stock I had gotten from my aunt before I dumped it that never got to me.

@Michaell said:
    Was it perhaps too hot to have the tops down on the convertibles?

It can be too hot to have the top down? I don't believe it.

@snakeweasel‌ said:

"Great but you misnamed it, it should be "The forum about buying and selling cars where we talk about everything buy buying and selling cars." "

Snake, over the years on the SFTSF forum, we did talk about buying and selling. The problem is that we've all heard and read about those experiences and we have nothing left to post except when someone does buy a car or shops for one. :wink:

2021 Genesis G90

@bwia said:
    Any thoughts?

A few years ago my sister would have been all over that. She was a rural route carrier for the post office and would have loved to have gotten another right hand drive truck.

@robr2 said:
    It's more than that - it's a 150% tax and each household is allowed to own only 1 car. There's also an annual road tax based on the vehicle size that ranges from $250 to $1600 a year. The goal of course is to reduce congestion. It's a tiny island.

Or they could do what Mackinac Island did and outright ban motorized vehicles.

Next month we are taking a long weekend and going up there with our bikes to tour the island.

@stickguy said:
    Speaking of rum, I still have a few bottles each of light and dark Goslings 151 rum in the basement. From my honeymoon. So quite aged at this point.

Hate to tell you this but once a spirit is bottled it stops aging.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2014

We keep talking about going over there before we move from the UP in a couple of months. And we do drive right by the ferry docks when we go visit family in TN and VA that way (we're above da bridge). But, we didn't make it to Isle Royale either.

Once we move to NM, the plan was to buy a new downsized car, but the used van we just got is working out well so far. So who knows.

@abacomike said:
    Snake, over the years on the SFTSF forum, we did talk about buying and selling. The problem is that we've all heard and read about those experiences and we have nothing left to post except when someone does buy a car or shops for one. :wink:

Oh I am very well aware of that, but of late if we didn't talk about other things the forum we would be a long way from 100K posts on SFTSF forum.

Well, I guess it's proof that they can go the distance but would you buy it?
    http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4509646903.html

@abacomike said:
    ""SERVICE REMINDERS""

About a week ago, a message alert popped up on my screen which stated the next "A Service" was due in 170 days. There are 2 types of service - an A and a B. Then, today, another message popped up stating the next "A Service" was due in 4500 miles.

My question is why does it alert me in "days" to the next service and "miles" to the next service? Sometimes days, sometimes miles. Why not one or the other?

Any ideas about how this works?

I am inclined to agree with with *stickguy; its miles or days which ever comes first. This leads to another question, why MB does not alert you by email as GM does with OnStar? The OnStar report shows the status for a number of engine functions including telematics and tire pressure.

Speaking of service, I read the Buick Encore 24-month "free service" a little closer. It says a maximum of four free services in the 2-year period and it does not include air filters. Nice marketing gimmick that basically boils down to a few oil changes.

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

@bwia said:
    Nice marketing gimmick that basically boils down to a few oil changes.

And tire rotations :)

Farmer, the I6 is extremely durable engine. If you are willing to maintain the car ($$) right, no reason it can't go that far. Just have to replace the various valves and sensors (commonly known failure points) as needed, and keep up with fluids.

that particular car? Pass, with the body damage.