Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic Hybrid Transmission Problems

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    jvretired0624jvretired0624 Member Posts: 2
    jUST READ ABOUT A CERTAIN EXTENDED WARRANTY ON THE 2005 HONDA CIVIC..NEVER HEARD OF THE SLIP/JUDDER WARRANTY.....ADVISE....
  • Options
    jay_smjay_sm Member Posts: 3
    Got the bad news from the dealership today. The damage is $4,700 for
    the transmission and $800 for labor. I had no idea that this was an issue
    until I found this forum using Google. My car makes a grinding sound at
    lower speeds and when starting and stopping and a high-pitched whine
    when I hit 60-70+. This does not happen every time, but enough that I
    knew something was wrong. The $4,800 is for a refurbished part that
    offers a 3YR/36K warranty. I don't have $5,500 laying around the house.
    So am I screwed? Ideas? Thanks to everyone that has contributed on
    this thread.
  • Options
    Here's a breakdown of the costs provided by the dealership.
    Does this look right? Any alternative ideas? This is going to hurt.

OPTION I

$2,100 CVT (used w/ 90-day warranty)
    $550 flywheel dampener (new)
    $880 labor

Total = $3,690

OPTION II

$4,120 CVT (refurbished w/ 3YR/36K warranty)
    $550 flywheel dampener (new)
    $880 labor

Total = $5,550
  • Options
    Sorry for the multiple posts, but I neglected to mention this is a 2006 Civic Hybrid.
  • Options
    wds13196wds13196 Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2012
    The rule is no more than half what it is worth. 7 years old and a repair that either way is a patch at best, the trannies are flawed. It's not worth it, sell it as is and get away from the civic hybrid. You'll be due for a new IMA battery, 2k-3k very soon as well, and cats can't be too far around the bend.
  • Options
    hch_doctorhch_doctor Member Posts: 17
    You can check out my little web page to see inside this transmission. http://hchdoctorstransmissionpage.yolasite.com/ Can you describe the problem you are having in more detail?
  • Options
    done_w_hybridsdone_w_hybrids Member Posts: 1
    Finally gave up on our '03 Honda Civic Hybrid. It never gave us trouble (183k miles) until about two months ago when transmission went. Decided to replace with rebuilt one, didn't work. Should have given up then but wasn't ready for committing to buying a new car. Went with new transmission and spent way too much money. Ran great after that, but then the hybrid battery went. Replaced that because Honda was running a "special", then the front left axle broke. Fixed that, then the radiator went this week. Should have given up on it long ago. Looks like the radiator might have ruined brand new transmission. Trying to get it flushed and running enough to use but done putting money into it. Might have to junk it. It didn't save us money in the long run when I figured the gas savings. If I were you I would just call it a loss and not risk going down the slippery slope we took.
  • Options
    luvhatehybridluvhatehybrid Member Posts: 5
    Oh, I feel your pain. I've put SOOOO much money into this lemon. Almost exact thing happened to me as happened to you, but I'm at the stage where the IMF battery needs replacing and don't have a thousand bucks, much less three thousand. I'm keeping it in my carport in hopes that some day a lawyer comes across and beats the crap out of these thieves one day, but I'm not holding my breath. I have a 2003 as well, and that was the first year they introduced the hybrid. They rushed it, they didn 't have the technology down, and they won't admit they made a car that is complete rubbish. I'm holding on to it for now, the cars are just Such complete jokes, that someone, somewhere, has got to be moving forward to do some kind of legal action about it at some point.
  • Options
    ralph72462ralph72462 Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriend's mom is having the same issues on her 04. Maybe if enough people are aware of these issues they will abstain from purchasing these factory lemons in the future and Honda can fix the issues or find themselves not being able to sell their cars to educated consumers that check the ratings on a vehicle before they purchase one. The internet is a powerful tool of information. Thank you so much for your post cause now I know what I am dealing with.

Ralph
  • Options
    peggy1058peggy1058 Member Posts: 4
    My Honda is at the shop right now and I've been told that the "chatter" in my transmission is not fixable because it's a CVT and nobody knows how to fix them, not even the dealership!! Seriously! I've been told I need a new transmission and I don't have several thousands of dollars for this. I'm really bummed as I have less than $100,000 miles on my vehicle and I was told that Honda's drive for several hundred thousand miles if you take care of them. Maybe there should be a recall action on these vehicles. Seems to me like a major part like a transmission should last for more than 100,000 miles!!! Any advice out there?
  • Options
    I replaced my o2 censor on my 03 Honda civic hybrid a couple of months ago and now I'm having transmission problems and being told the shudder can't be fixed and I need to new transmission. I have under 100,000 miles on my car!!!
  • Options
    rossfreerossfree Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    I had the same problem on my 2006 Civic Hybrid CVT (transmission). Every time I accelerate from a stop, the transmission would "rumble" or "shutter" as though it were slipping (and grabbing). It would last maybe one or two seconds and then it was fine, until the next time I accelerated from a stop.

I scanned the web for solutions and kept hearing about changing the transmission fluid. So I did. I purchased $50 of transmission fluid from Honda and the shutter went away! Gone! BAZINGA!

It has been about two years and the shutter is back. I haven't gone to get any more fluid yet but I will. I'm pretty confident it will correct the shutter problem again.

Try changing the transmission fluid before you spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to let them "fix" it. I can surely live with $50 a year in fluid costs.

Best of luck!

Ross
  • Options
    stan29stan29 Member Posts: 13
    Peggy, if you have read any of the last 400 or so messages, we are all in the same boat. This model Honda has been recalled in Japan, but our government has allowed them to slide in the US. Honda wants $3500 parts and labor to replace a transmission ( CVT). I replaced one at 60K, another at 90K and have needed another for the last 50,000 miles (currently at 190 K. I refuse to pay them that. You might try local transmission repair shops. Perhaps they can do better for you such as fixing first gear if that is your problem as it is mine. Honda did not fix this problem from 2003 model through 2005. Not until 2006 did they resolve the issue. Clearly a defect. There is a class action lawsuit for a trivial issue of erroneous mpg estimates in their advertising. I'm still getting 40-50 mpg. Why can't some one do something about our serious problem with the transmissions? Anyone know a good lawyer???
  • Options
    wds13196wds13196 Member Posts: 8
    If your wanting to keep the car look into Honda tsb 149 and 150. You will need to replace both the starter clutch and the valve body, after that change the cvt fluid when you change the oil. A lawsuit forced Honda to up the warranty on the tranny to 7 year 100k, your outside of that and they are not likely to help, but I never hurts to ask.
  • Options
    Thank you very much for the information and for your response. Who would you suggest I go to at Honda for getting any potential help with this problem. Do you know what the cost of these repairs you suggest would be? Also, you don't mention doing anything to the actual transmission? I took it into the dealership yesterday to have the transmission fluid changed and, after explaining the problem, they told me it could make the problem worse if I changed the fluid? So I didn't. Any information is helpful. Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm so glad I found your post in response to mine! Actually I WAS TOLD BY HONDA DEALERSHIP that changing my transmission fluid "could actually make it worse"!!! No kidding! I think I'm going back tomorrow and having the fluid changed and see what happens and then think about a new car! Thanks for the tip and why would they advise me the way they did??? The symptoms my car is having are identical to what you experienced. Thanks again.
  • Options
    aetaylor1aetaylor1 Member Posts: 1
    My beloved 2005 civic hybrid started having the 'jutter' problems about a year ago - at about 120,000 miles. My dealer 'burnished' the flywheel or clutch or something and it was good for another 8 months. Started again and I had it 're-burnished'. That lasted for about 3 months and now at 143,000 miles, it is making a whining noise with acceleration. Sounds like a tranny to me... I had it diagnosed at the dealer and they told me I need a new transmission. They quoted me $4800. Yikes! The same dealer did replace the IMA batteries at 105,000 miles under extended class action warranty so I thought I would be good for at least 200,000. I found another dealer who said he would do it for $4400. I shopped around, found a Honda certified transmission guy in Mission Viejo (SoCalAutomotive.net) who would do it for $3300. Since I love my car so much, and I think I have at least $50,000 more miles (and I work at home and don't drive that much), I shelled out for it. Got my car back today and it purrs like a kitten. 45+ miles to the gallon for over 8 years. It looks brand new still to me... got the leather seats at purchase... had the car pool stickers in Calif for over 6 years... dream come true. Love this car and now plan to drive it for 5 more years, at least!
  • Options
    femzyfemzy Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem, my dealer said the abs Is damaged and the fluid contaminated
  • Options
    femzyfemzy Member Posts: 2
    The same brake system light coming up, for 2006 honda civiv hybrid, my dealer said my ABS is damaged and also my brake fluid is contaminated, but I haven't done anything to it since, but I never want to drive in traffic
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

A problem with brakes is on my "must deal with NOW" list. Sometimes our cars do make us spend money we don't want to spend, but you also don't want to be driving if your brakes fail, traffic or not.

• Options
    andrewxyandrewxy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid with over 200,000 miles. The car had a shudder when starting from a stop. It was worse when I had passengers or going up hill. The good news is that I took the advice on another forum and bought some Honda brand CVT fluid, took it to the Oil Changers down the street and had them put it in. The shudder has stopped. I believe it has to be the Honda brand CVT fluid. Bought it online, four quarters cost me $40 which included shipping. So, with the Oil Changers charging me $39 and the fluid $40, I fixed the shudder for $79. Not bad.
  • Options
    andrewxyandrewxy Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2015
    aetaylor1 said:

My beloved 2005 civic hybrid started having the 'jutter' problems about a year ago - at about 120,000 miles. My dealer 'burnished' the flywheel or clutch or something and it was good for another 8 months. Started again and I had it 're-burnished'. That lasted for about 3 months and now at 143,000 miles, it is making a whining noise with acceleration. Sounds like a tranny to me... I had it diagnosed at the dealer and they told me I need a new transmission. They quoted me $4800. Yikes! The same dealer did replace the IMA batteries at 105,000 miles under extended class action warranty so I thought I would be good for at least 200,000. I found another dealer who said he would do it for $4400. I shopped around, found a Honda certified transmission guy in Mission Viejo (SoCalAutomotive.net) who would do it for $3300. Since I love my car so much, and I think I have at least $50,000 more miles (and I work at home and don't drive that much), I shelled out for it. Got my car back today and it purrs like a kitten. 45+ miles to the gallon for over 8 years. It looks brand new still to me... got the leather seats at purchase... had the car pool stickers in Calif for over 6 years... dream come true. Love this car and now plan to drive it for 5 more years, at least!

I suggest you change the transmission fluid at least once a year and be sure to use Honda Genuine CVT fluid. See my post above.
  • Options
    jessman91jessman91 Member Posts: 1
    My 03 currently gets more power when in second gear than in drive, it had 115,000 miles on it and no mechanic can tell me what is wrong.. any ideas? HELP!
  • Options
    Can you be a little more descriptive about what's happening? Is the car not downshifting when you're in Drive and step hard on the gas? Not clear on what's happening, and if mechanics can't tell you that anything's wrong, some more details would help us understand better what you're feeling.
  • Options
    nocivichybridnocivichybrid Member Posts: 1
    Anyone thinking about buying a Hybrid Civic Hybrid run. Curry Honda on Peachtree Industrail Blouvard in Atlanta would not even work on them, yeah a Honda Dealership, the Service Manager sent me to Atlanta Hybrid Repair, the shop stated they work on all hybrids but Civic due to their numerous IMA, tranny issues.

After owning honda since college days, from crx, del sol, to accord, for the first time there will no more Hondas in our family, not so much because of the lemon I got but the Dealership support is the worst I have seen. Toyota from now on, no wonder prius is killing the civic and insight
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ouch, what year is yours @nocivichybrid?
  • Options
    knighttuckerknighttucker Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to say how thankful I am for this post and the internet. Met a guy on Craigslist trying to sell his 2004 hybrid with 105,000 miles on it. I didn't think much about the "studdering" it was doing when I would accelerate from a dead stop. I somewhat thought that had to do with the electric/gas component of the engine. Thank god I found this discussion before buying it. Thanks again 
  • Options

Just wanted to say how thankful I am for this post and the internet. Met a guy on Craigslist trying to sell his 2004 hybrid with 105,000 miles on it. I didn't think much about the "studdering" it was doing when I would accelerate from a dead stop. I somewhat thought that had to do with the electric/gas component of the engine. Thank god I found this discussion before buying it. Thanks again 

Glad we could be of help!