Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Electrical Problems

124»

Comments

• bbjlawbbjlaw Member Posts: 2
    Thuku, thank you for your advise, it is very instructive.
  • mom24gurlzmom24gurlz Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of purchasing this vehicle with 139,000 miles on it and the asking price is $6995 from a dealership. Should I pay this price or should I try talking them down some. This will be a second vehicle for me.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Used Odysseys and Siennas are way overpriced. I recently bought a 2007 Uplander with 55k miles and 10 months of powertrain warranty left for less than $12k (taxes included). The dealer where we purchased the Uplander had a 2004 Sienna with 133k miles and no warranty remaining for only $1k less than the Uplander. For $10k, you can get a used Grand Caravan with probably half the mileage of the Odyssey. Good luck.
  • pangarkarpangarkar Member Posts: 14
    That price seems unusually low. One of the easiest ways to find a comparison for your car is to go to one of the car sites, edmunds, autotrader, nada, kellybluebook, and put in the info to find pricing. If you put in 2005 in autotrader most of the cars w/ 139,000 are being sold around $10-12,000. Given that you are buying it at a dealer I'd want to know why they are selling the car cheaper than the average. Lots of other factors to look into as well, ie. maintence, insurance, etc. Personally I have a '06 ody w/ 110,000 miles and I expect to keep it for awhile, but that because its been maintained. Buying a car unknown to you w/ a lot of miles could easily become a money pit. Also as some of the other posts mention there are much better deals out there for mini vans other than Hondas. I'd look at the Nissan Quest (they are a great car and don't hold on to their resell value as much- so you'd get a better deal) or even the newer Hyundais.
  • js_muenchowjs_muenchow Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey that no longer recognizes the keys when I open the doors and sets off the anti-theft system (horn, flashers, shuts of radio, etc.). I can not operate any of the buttons inside the car (sliding doors, windows, locks, rear hatch) and have to remove the horn fuse to prevent a 2 minute anti-theft alarm every time I open the doors, hood, etc. However, to drive the car, I need to wait for the anti-theft system to reset, re-install the horn fuse and then I can drive the car but once I open the door the anti-theft system triggers again.

To make matters worse, I am in the US military and stationed in Germany so the local Honda dealers don't know what to do and Honda America refuses to send any technical information for the German mechanics to trouble shoot with. Honda America keeps telling me they don't know what the problem is so they don't know what to send to the German dealer. Sheehy Honda, where I bought the car, has been little help, although they at least provided me with a recommendation to reset the key fob, unfortunately, that did not solve the problem.

Can anyone provide advice?
  • jchristy1515jchristy1515 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Considering buying a used vehicle with this problem. Did you get a resolution on it? Any help much appreciated!

Jim C
    Princeton NJ
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Can't they change the ignition lock and give you a new key fob and reset? They should do something given the vehicle is still under warranty.
  • medic_canmedic_can Member Posts: 1
    Looks like I'm having electrical problems with my drivers side power seat. 2001 model, EX, seat will raise and lower but just the back half. Will not recline, will not move forward or backward (actually its all the way back so not sure if this is a problem) Took the cowling off to view, difficult to get the hole piece off because the mount screw in the back can only be accessed if I move the seat all the way forward (which is a problem now)

Not sure where to put the voltmeter probes and what the numbers will mean. Changed the fuse to no avail. Tapped and fidgeted with connections underneath - to no avail.

Any suggestions.
  • clintoncclintonc Member Posts: 2
  • clintoncclintonc Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Honda Odessey van, I had the dealership install a command start on it when I purchased it 3 Yeats ago. Having issues with the door locks, they always lock about 1 minute after I have unlocked them. It does not matter if the keys are in the ignition or not, the doors always locks. You have to be careful because if you start the van then get out to put stuff in the doors will lock when you are out. Have also had issues with the alarm going off a couple of times when I hit unlock when I am already in the van with it running. Even if I am driving and hit the unlock button the alarm sometimes goes off.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • kevinking2kevinking2 Member Posts: 1
    Try this: Disconnect battery, wait for more than 20 seconds, and put it back on.

My 2001 Odyssey has a few electrical problems: alarm kicks off without reason, radio noise, and all four turning lights kept on even engine turned off and light switches off. After this "power reboot" today, all problems are gone, at least so far for 2 hours.

Hope this can help you.

If anyone has more suggestions, please let us know.

Thanks.
  • lowdownkillalowdownkilla Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have the hook up or a link to a master list of all the size bulbs I would need for the dash lights on a 1999-2004 Honda Odyssey?? Not for the outside or map lights, but for the just for the dash lights, clock, all the small cluster lights etc. I know there is the main dash cluster, clock, ac control, fan blower switch, rear ac/heat switch, rear doors, CC, etc... Are they all different sizes?? How many bulbs total?
  • junliu60junliu60 Member Posts: 1
    Have you got the problem figured out yet? I am having the exact same problem. Sometimes the lights just flicks and the car kept going (no issues), but sometimes the engine would stall as well.
  • rphladyrphlady Member Posts: 5
    I believe the problem was a loose connection in the bell housing of the transmission. Unfortunately, the tranny failed again and had to be replaced again. I have since traded the vehicle in for something new.
  • mike20878mike20878 Member Posts: 60
    Yesterday morning my wife's car wouldn't start. AAA came out and tested the battery and told us there was an open diode in the alternator causing a battery drain. He said it should be towed as it was unsafe to drive. I had it towed to the dealer as we have an extended warranty. However, the dealer told me their tests showed nothing wrong with the alternator, but there is a dead cell in the battery. Since I bought the battery from AAA I had them come and meet me at the dealer to test it again. He couldn't even get a reading on the battery to be able to replace it and his drain test still showed something is draining the battery. Nothing was on in the car. His reading was showing the battery hovering around 1.40 amps during the drain test. He told me there's nothing wrong with the battery (though I don't know how he can tell) and I have an electrical problem. I'm going to take it somewhere else and see if they are able to troubleshoot it.
    Got a new battery and it was testing fine, shop said nothing was wrong with the alternator. This morning car won't start again. Completely dead. Taking it somewhere else tomorrow for diagnostics... :(
  • mdesavrmdesavr Member Posts: 2
    Mike,

I had the exact same problem. Have them check the AC Switch Relay. I did some research on here when I had my problem and had them check it. That is what it was. The relay fails and remains open and draws power even when the van is off. They say it is not a widespread problem, but it is. Good luck, but I betcha that is your problem. I would take it back to Honda to look at.
    Would that be something covered under an extended warranty? I made an appointment with my regular mechanic but I wonder if I should just go back to the dealer. Thanks.
  • mdesavrmdesavr Member Posts: 2
    Mine was not, yours might be depending on the warranty. It was a $9 part and about $240 in labor. I called and talked to the service manager and we ended up splitting the cost. I would push on them real hard about covering it, especially since they couldnt find it and it cost you a battery. I would take it back to Honda.
  • thefixer3thefixer3 Member Posts: 2
    I saw your post on edmunds.com of Nov 07, 2010 about your honda odyssey battery drain with The engine suddenly had an unusual crack pop noise. (It sounded like a live electrical wire touching metal.) I have the same problem with my 2008 odyssey. I also believe it was one of your posts that pointed towards the radio being the problem. My question is did you ever find a solution to this problem. Currently we are not in a position to buy another vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Survey says... show me "AC relay!" Ding ding ding!!

That, and he told me the alternator voltage was a little low so he's replacing that as well since it's covered. He seemed to imply all I'd have to pay is about $8 for the relay. I'd better not have to pay the labor...

Thanks.
  • thefixer3thefixer3 Member Posts: 2
    I found the problem with my wifes 2008 Odyssey. I removed the NEG batt terminal and found a pretty heavy spark when connector was touched to terminal with a clicking noise at the a/c comp clutch. So I found and removed the a/c clutch relay (located in eng comp. fuse box) taped the relay a few times reinstalled problem went away. So I went to Honda and purchased new relay that was surprisingly only about $6.50 and installed it.
    So no more dead battery every morning and no more crack pop sound and white smoke coming from eng. compartment intermittently( which must have been from the a/c clutch).
    Why was the labor so high? Did they have to do a lot of diagnostics before they found the problem? There was no labor to change the relay on my car. I initially paid $65 for diagnostics on Friday. I forgot to mention what I'd read here when i brought it back but luckily the whining noise from the AC was obvious when i pulled in.
  • diefenbakerdiefenbaker Member Posts: 1
    We have experienced the same thing for over 2 years and have had the vehicle in to have it repaired 10 times. Finally, we ended up sending a certified letter under the State law filing a grievance and the long story short is that Honda called back (would not write) and their only recommendation is to drive the car more. They are not going to do anything about the matter and we are subsequently going to pursue other legal options. Were you ever able to resolve your case with AHMC? Any advice?
  • edmondcbedmondcb Member Posts: 1
    I JUST bought a 2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L from CarMax. When I bought it, the Malfunction Indication Light was on (they have a 30-day warranty so I was planning on bringing it into their Service Center tomorrow).

However, I pressed the VSA button and the Malfunction light just went off, even though everything I have read doesn't show a connection. I am curious about this because I still want to bring it into the CarMax service since I have full warranty for 30 days, but there is not light for me to talk about.

Any ideas?
  • terr937terr937 Member Posts: 1
    After having all the same battery issues and popping/smoking going on, I too had the AC Relay switch repaired ($500) on my 07, by Honda, and thought our problems were solved, for about two weeks. Hate to tell you, but while it definitely needed to have the relay repaired, there's obviously something else going on.... something that is making the relays go out in the first place and something that sucks the life out of the battery... unfortunately, all I can afford to do right now is put a new battery in and hope it lasts for more than a couple of weeks. Thanks Honda, for the new feelings of security I have while driving my children around in your vehicle! Maybe time for a Toyota?????
  • erdarerdar Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    A few days ago, our 2002 Honda Odyssey started acting up. The gauges on the dash went nuts, going up and down and the radio/dvd/navigation combo (we have a custom one after the factory one literally burned out four years ago) went nuts, with the navigation screen flashing and crazy colors popping up. All the lights on the dash began turning on as well. I puttered home, then I popped the hood and the battery looked old and quite corroded. I tried starting the car up, and just got that series of clicks that tells you the battery is dead. So, I went to Auto Zone and bought a new one. I installed it but the connector to the negative end somehow didn't fit well on the new battery. It could be easily pulled off and I could not get the nut any tighter. I planned on fixing this at a later date. Anyways, I drove around the block a few times and all the lights went off and the gauges seemed normal. Now, just 2 days later, I am driving on the highway when it starts again, then I lose ALL my dash systems. I can't tell how fast I'm going, how much gas I have, what the temp is, or my RPM's. The radio completely dies, too. Then the car putters to a stop on the shoulder. Again, I get that clicking noise when I try to restart the car. I got towed to the PepBoys near where I was and they say that it's NOT the alternator. They're running tests tonight to see what the problem could be...but I really can't afford a huge repair bill right now. Did I short something out while driving it with the negative end loose? Any ideas?
  • gcharrongcharron Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just picked up a used 2006 Odyssey EX-L last night. Not even 2 hours after leaving the lot it left us sitting about 45 minutes from home. I noticed the battery light had come on on the way out to where we were heading, however it started up and ran fine even after that. When we were heading home every warning light in the car came on and the radio began to intermittently shut off and come back one. We pulled into a parking lot just before the highway and parked it. I tried shutting it off for a few minutes and then it would not start. The dash would flash and I could hear the ignition trying to fire but the engine would not turn over at all. All of the electronics in the car such as the sliding doors, windows, sunroof etc would work fine. I had some jumper cables so we tried that to no avail.

I ended up calling the dealer, very angrily, and made them pay for a truck to haul it the 45 minutes back to their service center. I am waiting for the results today. I made it very clear that any issue would not come out of my pocket since they vehicle didn't even make it 50 miles away and the service team agreed. Hopefully they figure it out and it is not an ongoing battery issue like I have been reading about on here.
  • doggreendoggreen Member Posts: 1
    The same exact problem happened to me today with my 2002 Odyssey! I have a new alternator, battery and belt tensioner and am completely baffled. What was the outcome of your problem? Were you able to get it resolved? Thanks!
  • 01intrigue01intrigue Member Posts: 92
    Any update? Are you still waiting at the dealer?
  • webchrissywebchrissy Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Hey guys,
    So i have same issues as some.
    2006 Honda Odyssey Touring
    1. GPS and radio intermitt lost codes
    2. Car would not start randomly / lost power
    3. Locks from keypad of course wouldn't work at that point
    4. When driving lose power to dash but engine stays on; power would come back on (it lasted only seconds)

I took it to honda and they replaced fuse box $700+!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, two months later, the GPS is losing it's code again but I do not have the rest of the problems...what it really the fuse box?? THey are telling me it's bad head unit on the GPS and a new unit is $2400 or $400+ for a refurbed unit...I am NOT getting it done because I don't care about the GPS. My bigger concern is .... was it really a fuse box or did they clean/tighten battery cables and replace a fuse box for no reason?

Also, by blower transister went in the meantime so I have no front blower for heat and A/C... they want $340 for for that; I got upset since I have to keep dropping $$$ and suddenly he said he could do it for $250...REALLY? you can just drop the price $90? Please help me with your advice I don't know what to do....do I fight the fuse box installation because the GPS is still losing it's code?? Does this all sound ok or do you think I am going to have more mysterious issues???

Thanks!
  • khaled2khaled2 Member Posts: 1
    my problem with all the lights it's flicker i have changed the battery
    but the problem still there …..?
    is there another reason for this ……!
    I've noticed the problem Disappearance when i Increases engine speed
  • pickypickertonpickypickerton Member Posts: 1

@mike20878 said:
    Survey says... show me "AC relay!" Ding ding ding!!

That, and he told me the alternator voltage was a little low so he's replacing that as well since it's covered. He seemed to imply all I'd have to pay is about $8 for the relay. I'd better not have to pay the labor...

Thanks.

Mike, I am experiencing the same symptoms but just before the issue I noticed a whining noise. Did you ever note a whining noise before or during the issue?

• rjs14rjs14 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2014

My 2005 Odyssey just ripped the door off of itself. Over extending upon opening and routed entire side of my car and both brackets ripped off of the body. Left hanging only by the electrical cables. This car has been nothing but a lemon. Two gas tank leaks, alternator, one engine fire while I was driving it, two complete shut downs while driving in fast lane, just like GMC cars have, I was just fortunate I was on city highways and not the freeway or I am sure I would have been hit. I had no control of the car at all. I have replaced two transmissions and just about every other part, including a leaking power steering pump, master cylinder, and all of the other recalled items. Three days after getting it back from the dealer for the leaking power steering pump, it caught fire in the engine while I was driving it 75 miles from home. The dealer later claimed they left a rag on the engine that had caught fire. I have spent enough to buy 3 Odyssey vans in repairs. So furious to find recalls for items I paid for at the dealer. And when I ask about the recalls they say "I haven't heard about that". The first of my gas tank leaks cost me a fortune, and you could smell the gas strongly. I was told by the dealer that it was highly unusual for that part to go out, I was just lucky, and because it is one piece from the gas input to the tank it cost me an arm and a leg. Now I find out it was recalled along with all of the other parts I have paid to replace on this POS. This latest door incident not only cost $2500, but when the bracket threw a bolt it just missed my 3 month old Granddaughter's head! This is the car from HELL. Twice it has shut down without warning, and it just stops where you are. You have no power, as if there is no battery even in the car. The last time it happened a block from the dealer and I made the service manager come and get my car. I wasn't getting back in the death trap. The dealer had my car almost two weeks and said they never found why, they just went ahead and replaced the main fuse. Again now recalled. It's obviously time to contact a lemon law attorney, but curious if anyone else has had these issues. I am the original owner and kept all maintenance up with the dealer.

• James_like_BondJames_like_Bond Member Posts: 1
    This thread is not super fresh, I know. But some people asked about dash lights for older Odys? Oh I know this one, here https://autofiles.com/bulb-size/honda/odyssey/1999/ a bulb size chart with refs to Amazon.
    There are charts for other models and years too.