Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

Comments

• mkelly05mkelly05 Member Posts: 2

I am having the same problem with my 2011 Impala I have only had the car 2 yrs in March. Since I have had the car I have had to take it to the service department 3 times. Once because my tires were being ate every other week. Found that my tires lean inward..........Second time it was making a weird noise and they said it was my power sterring pump and now this! It should be a recall on these cars, GM is killing our pockets for their mistakes! FYI as I sat at the dealer I watch 3 more Impalas drive in with the same problem!

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

We recognize that having to return to the dealership for service can be highly inconvenient and we're sorry that your vehicle concerns have gone unresolved. Please message us your VIN, contact information, mileage and dealership name so that we can start a case for you within our system and do some additional research on our end. We're also available via email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please be sure to include your screen name within the email.

Thanks

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

@mkelly05 said:
    I am having the same problem with my 2011 Impala I have only had the car 2 yrs in March. Since I have had the car I have had to take it to the service department 3 times. Once because my tires were being ate every other week. Found that my tires lean inward..........Second time it was making a weird noise and they said it was my power sterring pump and now this! It should be a recall on these cars, GM is killing our pockets for their mistakes! FYI as I sat at the dealer I watch 3 more Impalas drive in with the same problem!

• deepskideepski Member Posts: 1
    Yeah this is just crazy. I continue to get these warnings even after taking to the dealer who say we can't do anything about this. Seriously why do we let these companies get away with this robbery? Oh crap my transmission is falling out of my vehicle. 2200 dollars please, but I just bought this thing now everything is going wrong with it. Completely unreliable, even worse than my saturn.
  • msbjmsbj Member Posts: 2

I had the issue with the knocking in the glove box area the car. The car was about a year and half old at the time. The dealer had to replace a switch of some type that is connected to the AC blower.

• mgriakmgriak Member Posts: 1

I own Chevy Impala LT 2008, three weeks ago, I took my kids to July 4th fireworks celebrations. then on our way home; we were stranded in middle of road because the REDUCED ENGINE POWER and check ENGINE LIGHTS came on simultaneously. it was scary with all those intense traffic in the middle of the road with kids in the car. on July 24th, 2014 after work; I was going to see a new house, we wanted to move in. Again I was stranded on the road and lost the appointment with the landlord who in turn gave away the house to some one else. I went around to Google the issue until I accidentally just got on this site an read all the similar problems that every one else is having and quite frankly, i cant believe that the GM is not willing to do something to fix this problem. Seriously!!!!! you have somebody with children driving down the crowded road and their cars have no power. That is totally dangerous an they wont even fix the damn problem!! is this how buying american was almost going to take our life? I have already spent over $439.00 and can't afford doing this again and again. can some body fixed this problems to save the life of those who choose to buy and drive made in america!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• abugz79abugz79 Member Posts: 1

WHY is this not a recall issue? For the past year, my car has had this issue so many times I can't keep track. It's happened multiple times in one day, it's happened right after my car has been on the computer and the code cleared. My code consistently comes up as a general computer error, but the dealership continues to insist they replace other parts. So-far, this has helped with NOTHING but draining my wallet and wasting my time. I would love to have the money to continue to shell out for repairs/replacement/whatever, but if I did, I'd be more apt to just get rid of the car and get a new one. I've been in my car with my two toddlers in the back seat on the freeway and city streets when this has happened. Again, I'd love to have a different car to drive them around in, but I don't, so I'm guessing someone has to die in a wreck after this happens before GM will step up to the plate and recall this. I come from a family of auto workers and have worked at our local plant myself, and I'm ready to start buying foreign. Shame on anyone who works there, knows this is an issue, and has no problem sleeping at night while doing nothing. You have how many thousands of cars recalled already--why not take care of the rest of your mistakes?

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145

A reporter would like to speak to an owner of a GM car who has had a recent experience with a dealer service department during recalls. If you own a GM car, even one that was not included in the recent recalls, and you've been able to make a service appoint with no problem, or if the recalls have complicated your ability to make a service appointment, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, Aug 6, 2014 at 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• cindylu7189cindylu7189 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Impala. I am in 2nd year of a 3 year lease from a local used car dealership. I have also ha two other Impalas, and never had any problem like this until today. Most of these comments are from a few years ago so I wondered if maybe someone knows something by now? I have a mechanic friend who said it sounds like maybe the fuel pump. He will try and drive it later today to see what he thinks. This is so frustrating!! I don't have time or money for this.
  • fedup_with_gmfedup_with_gm Member Posts: 2

I've had a 2007 Impala for 3 years now and have had nothing but problems with the "engine power reduced" and "starting disabled" codes. The throttle body has been replaced three times now (fortunately the second one was still under warranty), the accelerator assembly once, and then the dealer wanted $750 to change the battery and one battery cable. I've had it in the shop six times now for the same issue. Been stranded on a busy Chicago freeway, at the hospital parking lot after my child's brain surgery, at the grocery store, on our anniversary trip, all over. Unfortunately, we are still paying on the heap of junk and can't afford to get rid of it....or keep it. Does anyone know if there is a class-action lawsuit? It doesn't appear that they've fixed this issue on newer cars either as I had the "engine power reduced" code on a 2014 Chevy Cruze I just rented for our vacation. The Cruze's electronic trip and MPG display disappeared, the car overheated, and it gave the engine power reduced code.....and the rental only had 9,000 miles on it. Not what I would expect from a car with so few miles. The rental agency had the car towed and replaced it with another 2014 Cruze....but fortunately that one got us back home. I've always been a GM man but now probably wouldn't buy one that was made after 1998 as my older Saturn keeps running flawlessly at 260,000 miles now

• tyler995tyler995 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2008 Chevy Impala and do mostly highway driving. I bought it from a dealership with 46000 miles.It ran fine through that winter but in the warmer months I was constantly getting the engine power reduced. Took it in and the dealership mechanics said that the 'sure fire fix' was to replace the throttle body sensor... They did that and cleared the code and sent me on my way ($400) Then on the ride home it did that same engine power reduced, I turned around and they said that there was absolutely nothing they could do for me. So i just drove it like that (as frustrating as that was). Then in the winter months, everything was fine and no engine power reduced until the warmer months. Then this past weekend it stalled for the first and only time (at roughly 76000 miles) in a drive thru. I took it in to a different shop today and they said they see this issue quite often! They said the code I was having was P1516. I dropped it off and a few hours later they called back with great news!!! They checked the wires and all was good. THEN they checked the battery. That was where the issue was! They put the battery on a charger and an hour later they tried that out. NO PROBLEMS and they diagnosed the issue to being a bad battery giving a low reading to the sensors causing the fail safe mode to occur! For them to look at it, it cost me $63 for them to diagnose the problem and they warned me to avoid cheap batteries!

Glad to hear your dealership was able to take care of this issue for you, tyler995! If you happen to have concerns with your Impala in the future, we'd be more than happy to offer our assistance. We're available via private message if interested.

Amber N.

GM Customer Care

@tyler995 said:
    I have a 2008 Chevy Impala and do mostly highway driving. I bought it from a dealership with 46000 miles.It ran fine through that winter but in the warmer months I was constantly getting the engine power reduced. Took it in and the dealership mechanics said that the 'sure fire fix' was to replace the throttle body sensor... They did that and cleared the code and sent me on my way ($400) Then on the ride home it did that same engine power reduced, I turned around and they said that there was absolutely nothing they could do for me. So i just drove it like that (as frustrating as that was). Then in the winter months, everything was fine and no engine power reduced until the warmer months. Then this past weekend it stalled for the first and only time (at roughly 76000 miles) in a drive thru. I took it in to a different shop today and they said they see this issue quite often! They said the code I was having was P1516. I dropped it off and a few hours later they called back with great news!!! They checked the wires and all was good. THEN they checked the battery. That was where the issue was! They put the battery on a charger and an hour later they tried that out. NO PROBLEMS and they diagnosed the issue to being a bad battery giving a low reading to the sensors causing the fail safe mode to occur! For them to look at it, it cost me $63 for them to diagnose the problem and they warned me to avoid cheap batteries!

• fedup_with_gmfedup_with_gm Member Posts: 2

Nine days after getting my car out of the shop after getting the "engine power reduced" code issue fixed again (6th time), the "engine power reduced" code is back. Was 55 miles from home and had to limp it all the way home as I can't afford yet another tow. Wow, this is frustrating!

• kaverillkaverill Member Posts: 1

I have 2008 Chevy impala LT while driving to my daughters this past Sunday the reduced engine power light and the engine light came on!!!  The car wouldn't go above 20 miles

kaverill said:

I have 2008 Chevy impala LT while driving to my daughters this past Sunday the reduced engine power light and the engine light came on!!!  The car wouldn't go above 20 miles

Oh no! We're sorry you're experiencing this issue with your Impala. We'd like to help in whatever way possible, kaverill. Please private message us your VIN, mileage, full contact information and dealership name if interested. If you'd like to send the above requested information along with your screen name to socialmedia@gm.com, we'd be happy to assist via email as well.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• fetcher29fetcher29 Member Posts: 2

maybe GM should issue all Impala owners a code scanner for FREE!!!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Actually I'd like to see that built into all cars.
  • carbontwincarbontwin Member Posts: 1
    I actually had a customer with the reduced engine power p2138. App sensor 1/2 correlation. Customer complained this was an intermittent problem. And just to show when a customer comes in, the problem typically goes away. But for reading the wiring schematic and gm's diagnosis procedure. Gm's procedure said to replace the ecu. So in my wildest ways why should I do that when it seems the own the company who makes these product should have a better step by step diagnosis for this problem that seems to exist within the gm family. So to your suprise I had read the schematic and what gave power to the app ( accelerator pedal position) which a scan is needed to see what sensor in the pedal dropping out or going haywire from too much voltage. Well in this case I had followed what the 5volt refrences were fed to as the same pertaining to the accelerator pedal . So guess what was wrong. ... the oil pressure sending unit... lol good find eh?.. this was a 2005 cadillac cts 3.6 most of the time when gm has these issues its either the tsb about the istrument panel connectior getting water intrusion or one or the other as far as the electronic throttle body or the acceleratior pedal. I hope you guys can use this to your benefit because its not always the obvious. And always get all the information. 

• kaylaj91kaylaj91 Member Posts: 1
    I would first like to start off by saying that my family and I have been Chevy supporters for as long as I can remember and I have a significant amount of family members that worked/work for GM (I'm from Michigan and it's kind of our thing there) and we still supported them after they kind of you know completely screwed Michigan's economy. On that note I am completely appalled that this is still happening. The first post was regarding a 2007 Impala and there was a post in here regarding a 2013 Impala (for Chevy customer service that's 6 years of [non-permissible content removed] product). I have a 2011 and even after I had so many problems with my 2006 Malibu (the problem was finally recalled after I got rid of it in 2014...8years later) I still stuck by Chevy's side, because I thought maybe just maybe they would have went back to being concerned about their customers (apparently I was incorrect in that assumption). I am at the point where I will never buy another GM product and instead of being a Chevy cheerleader I am going to recommend that everyone start shopping elsewhere if they want a quality product. I have already had a bunch of problems (the one listed in this forum included) and it just down right pisses me off. To the Chevy customer service rep that will most likely be reading this please know I have called and talked to your customer service department on numerous occasions and it was a horrible experience! But thank you to all of you who have posted what your issues ended up being so hopefully I can find a Chevy dealership competent enough to fix the problem.
  • jjtonajjtona Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with 2011 Chevy Impala(death trap). With the "reduced engine power" "service stabillatrac" messages. This has happened 3 times in a month while my 17 year old son is driving and only at 60+ mph on his way to hockey practice with 2 other 17 year old in the car. Car shuts down loosing power steer brakes etc almost being rear ended each time or in left lane with tractor trailer right next to him. Have taken to dealer and is not covered under power train or extended warranties!!! Reading these post and many others i am not sure which direction to go in getting it fixed. I seen many different things that will supposedly fix it. Throttle body, pedal sensor to wheel sensor to bad battery and corrosion on various electrical connectors. No wonder the dealer said $100/hour to just start to diagnose. Today it finally happened to me but while driving at slower speed. the two messages appeared with CEL. Car did not seem to run any different only couple miles from home so cont there. about half an hour later went back out and only CEL on so stopped at Autozone and pulled codes p2127 and p2138. So I will try and replace pedal sensor to see what happens.

Needless to say I WILL NEVER BUY A GM PRODUCT AGAIN.
  • groviegrovie Member Posts: 1
    I am going to throw my hat into the ring here. I have an '09 Impala with 100k miles on it. Bought used, great condition and no problems until now, after about 5k put on by me. Same as everyone else...reduced power light comes on, slow to a crawl (always in bad traffic) two times and today it actually shut down. 10 minutes of sitting, it started and stayed running to get home. I haven't gotten the codes read yet, but I will tomorrow as my father is (oddly enough) going to the Chevy dealer he's purchased 3, yes THREE cars from (two of them being Impalas, which is why I got mine) to buy another car. I am going to see if they will take a look and give any insight without me telling them what I've learned here. I plan on getting the codes read before I take it to the dealer; I want to keep them honest. I am with everyone else who has had this problem, that this should be an issue addressed by Chevrolet/GM as a recall issue. I'm posting this now so I can do a follow-up in case it might help someone else.
    grovie said:

I am going to throw my hat into the ring here. I have an '09 Impala with 100k miles on it. Bought used, great condition and no problems until now, after about 5k put on by me. Same as everyone else...reduced power light comes on, slow to a crawl (always in bad traffic) two times and today it actually shut down. 10 minutes of sitting, it started and stayed running to get home. I haven't gotten the codes read yet, but I will tomorrow as my father is (oddly enough) going to the Chevy dealer he's purchased 3, yes THREE cars from (two of them being Impalas, which is why I got mine) to buy another car. I am going to see if they will take a look and give any insight without me telling them what I've learned here. I plan on getting the codes read before I take it to the dealer; I want to keep them honest. I am with everyone else who has had this problem, that this should be an issue addressed by Chevrolet/GM as a recall issue. I'm posting this now so I can do a follow-up in case it might help someone else.

We hate to learn you've encountered this issue with your Impala, grovie. Nonetheless, we're glad to hear you're planning to go into the dealership for further diagnosis. Although we're unable to technically advise online, we're happy to do some additional research on our end regarding this matter. Please private message us your VIN and exact mileage if interested.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • dlpowers66dlpowers66 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, last night the "reduced engine power" and "service traction control" lit up as I was waiting for my daughter. I limped the car home and in an attempt to try to save money, looked online to see if I can find a solution. It appeared that besides the reduction in power, each time the tranny should shift it shifted very hard. A friend brought his reader and read the error code and said it read as the throttle body sensor. I would think by now there should be enough complaints that a recall for Impala's would be done. I have already e-mailed GM direct with my vin and info. Hopefully, someone will respond with a solution that is not going to cost me an arm and a leg.
    Amber N, please assist all of us in getting a resolution so that we do not cut our ties to GM and go with another vehicle company.
    Dlpowers66, please accept our apology for the experience you've had with your vehicle. We appreciate you reaching out to us. I am sure someone will reach out to you via email with regard to your concern.

Marlea W.
    GM Customer
  • xcmemphisxcmemphis Member Posts: 1
    I've had this same problem and if you constantly changed the throttle body there some wiring under gear shift that's shorting out throttle body,my mechanic !Randy Dotson(Arlington Tn.)stayed on my car for days and finally heard a popping noise when shifting car out of park he removed center console and there it was a exposed wire under gear shift  that was shorting out throttle body position sensor.covered  wire and car drives perfectly  now have had no problems 
  • mlnb80mlnb80 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Impala and the engine power reduced message came across my dash board just recently as I was driving on the freeway which was so scary! I was wondering why that happens? I need an answer fast! I have only had the car for a year and a half and I take care of my car what is going on? GM just may loose a customer in me for this my children and their safety are my main concern!
    We certainly understand the concern you have for the safety of your children, mlnb80. Have you reached out to a dealership in your area for assistance? If you would like us to reach out to one locally for you, please send us your VIN and contact information including zip code for help. I look forward to your response.

Marlea W.
    GM Customer Care
  • lavishlavish Member Posts: 1
    Chevy girl gone...I've had the same problem with my 2006 Impala the random engine power reduce light, the traction control light and the occasional car shut off. I have not been able to drive my car (that I'm still making payments on) since May 2014. I've had the throttle body cleaned the light went off for a little while however the light came back on a few weeks later. No one can clearly tell me what the issue is with this car and now I can't even drive it. The last time I drove this car was the day after leaving the mechanic and the engine power reduced light popped back on (and it was angry) out of nowhere the car started grinding and gyrating. Thankfully I was at a red light but this was during during rush hour. The car started to violently shake and the engine started to rev on its own. When the light finally turned green I hit the gas and the car barely moved. I was less than a mile from home at this point and it was a straight shot to my home. I put my foot to the floor board and the car never topped 20 miles and hour. I'm afraid to drive this car and no one can tell me exactly what the problem is and there is no recall after so many complaints (disappointed).
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,741
    edited December 2014
    No one can tell you what is wrong with the car without testing and proving what is going on, that's just the way it is. Everyone always wants the fast answer as if the mechanics are just supposed to know what is wrong and it has never really worked that way. Diagnostics and repair is a complex, difficult job, that quite often is unpaid time on the job for the technicians. BTW it was never the mechanics/technicians that pushed for the image that fixing cars is easy and through the years trying to force that perception to be the reality and at the same time not allowing the technicians to earn a reasonable living doing diagnostics has driven a lot of good, talented people from the trade. Typically that get's a "who cares" attitude and it's not the consumers problem until you realize that not having service ready techs who could handle the problems described in this thread routinely is a consumer problem. While no one person is responsible for this, the culture that the techs have been working under for the last few decades is. GM as well as many other manufacturers and their dealers deserve to be recognized and reaping what they have sewn at the consumers expense.

FWIW. A top tech would make easy work of the majority of the reported problems in this and many other threads just like this one. The trouble is the culture of the trade has made it so that they are few and far between and its going to take years to undo that for the consumer. That isn't even going to start to happen until the manufacturers and dealers accept their role in this and take the steps to address it.
  • 06impalalt06impalalt Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 06 Impala used in 2008. Saturday December 6th. I experienced the same thing everyone here is speaking of. First the engine light came on....then the message "Service Traction System" with "Reduce Engine Power". Five minute later my car cut off. Talk about scared it's night time me and my 5yr old stranded for 30mins. The car did start for me to make it home, but now i'm nervous to go anywhere else fearing i won't make it to get serviced. What could this be and why is this happening???? The dealer i bought the car from can i trust that they will have my paperwork on file from 5yrs ago? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp Me Very frustrated!!!!
  • jdel23jdel23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 impala I bought April 2014 I have not had it for a year and like everyone else it was running perfect nothing was wrong with it and out of nowhere I get 3 services needed to get checked engine power reduce, traction and stabilization my first concern was my kids... so the same day that it appeared I took it to a Chevy dealership they checked it and told me they could not fine nothing wrong with it they used the machine to read the codes and they said it could be anything wrong with it... well that made me feel better... I went home thankfully they didn't charge me... the services would disappear and come back for 3 days finally today my car got stuck on the feeder luckily it shut down close to an exit of the freeway... my husband my two girls could have gotten seriously hurt... now I'm also an angry customer who tried to do it the right way and still got screwed over... who knows how much its going to be now...
    Hello Jdel23,

I truly apologize for this, and understand how uncomfortable this may make you feel. We would be happy to look into this further for you and contact the dealership on your behalf. Please sent us an email at socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Patsy including your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership. I look forward to your response.

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care
  • dwisniewdwisniew Member Posts: 2
    CAR: My 2010 Impala with 48k miles and not driven daily.

PROBLEM: The reduced engine power and stabilitrac warnings came on with check engine light.

ACTION: Work with local repair and dealers of problem and will sell impala once the issue is fixed. Cannot have my young daughter with me in that car.
  • lambert41lambert41 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Impala. Sometimes, it drives great. Then at random times I get in and it flashes "Service Traction Control", then it tries to stall when I come to stops. And occasionally, just once every few weeks, it will also seem to get worse and I'll get the message "Engine Power Reduced". I checked the Throttle Body, it doesn't look dirty; but I didn't take it off, I just looked. I had it checked at O'Reilly's and the only code it was showing was for the O2 Sensor. But that doesn't make sense to be related to this. Any suggestions?
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    lambert41 said:

I had it checked at O'Reilly's and the only code it was showing was for the O2 Sensor. But that doesn't make sense to be related to this. Any suggestions?

While I haven't seen the problem yet on any of my vehicles I do look around here and there and have seen various solutions. The real problem is whatever code is generated that causes the reduced power light to come on (reduced power is suppsoed to be saving engine or whatever from posiible damge while allowing vehicle to continue to run well enough to get it off the travel portion of road). Part of the trouble is sometimes the code gets erased when vehicle is shut-off so scan won't show anything (or proper code anyway). When that happens its best to limp it to dealer right away and not shut it off until after they scan it. I believe I've seen at least 3 different causes for the CEL/reduced power. Throttle body/ gas pedal fix/ fuel pump replacement. Really have to correct proper code to get rid of trouble.
  • dave001dave001 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the reduced engine power warning problem also. Took my 06 chevy impala to the dealer, they said it needed a throttle body. Cost for parts and labor $600. Is this a dead issue or is GM doing something about this
  • dwisniewdwisniew Member Posts: 2
    Please call GM Customer Care. Explain them the issue and open a Case Number.
  • scottyj39scottyj39 Member Posts: 2

Somebody please help me. I have an 07 chevy impala that keeps giving me a "reduced engine power" message, then cuts your power and you can't drive more than about 40 mph.. I took it to a local mechanic and he said that it was a corroded sensor, that was in the air cleaner. He said that he fixed it and set us on our way. A few days later it did it again. It has no pattern, you can be driving uphill, downhill, or on the flat, and at any speed. It is happening more frequently.

Anybody else had this problem. I can't see that there is a recall and I can't think that I am alone on this. I really don't want to take to a dealer, they can be such a rip-off, not to metion the closest one is 1 1/2 hours away. Thanks

• scottyj39scottyj39 Member Posts: 2
    on my 2006 impala with 265000 miles it was a vacuum line between the air filter and the throttle body it had I little oil blow back in the elbow I took it off cleaned it out with starting fluid and the light never came on again hope this helps
  • cammycapcammycap Member Posts: 3
    I have the same issue Service Traction Control comes on then Reducing Engine Power and Wedneday as I was driving to work the Service Trottle message came on With Engine Light and the Engine powered down. I was at a red light thank God, so I turned the key to off position then started car and the car would not accelerate so I turned it off again waiting longer turned it back on and the car finally moved. I took to the dealership because I thought it was powertrain issue I have 98K so close to powertrain warranty, they said it was P2138 and P2122 and they said I needed Throttle Body Service. I called Chevy about this because it's a safety issue and they said they are going to work with me, so I hope this works out because I don't have $778 to fix this, this is why you don't finance Chevy's for more than 3 years I hate making car payments and repairs together.
    I had an accident in December my car was sliding like it was on ice but the ground was barely wet and the traction control did not work wondering if this was related I was braking and nothing helped.
    So the dealership did not help they said since it's not on the power train warranty they can't help me they said if I want they can give me a 10% discount, Really 10% that is total crap ,....largely disappointed and will never buy another CHEVY, and its funny because I had a Ford once who's engine seized and FORD backed up their product. I am so mad I am about to make a Utube video and pray it goes viral
  • ncmommy8ncmommy8 Member Posts: 2

While driving about 35 mph, my car instantly reduced speed and the traction control and powered reduced to engine light displayed. My car reduced speed to about 10 mph and I couldn't accelerate anymore. I began coasting. I drove directly to the dealership and was charged $400 to "fix" the problem.
    We're truly sorry to learn of your experience, ncmommy8. I'm glad you were able to get to the dealership for service. If you have any questions or concerns moving forward, please know we're available via private message to assist.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • hurelyhurely Member Posts: 1
    my impala is 2009, recently experience Reducing Engine Power, it totally shut down when I was driving in my neighborhood, thank god the speed is low and I had it tolled to pep boys who said it was my battery, changed it. it seems all good when I picked up my car at night and next day morning driving to work, it seems paddle doesn’t work as usual but everything else is fine. leave it out in parking lot for a day and all the sudden it start to shaking when I turn it on try to warm up and engine light come with Reduced engine power again. but after a while when the temperature go high it stop shaking and no message showing up but the engine light is still on. Is any body know what the problem might be? is it a timing bell? is it an alternator? or is it a converter? NEED HELP, really hate this especially with freezing winter.
  • brantfordianbrantfordian Member Posts: 1
    Wish I had seen this forum sooner. I have a 2011 Impala, 48k and my warranty has expired. Low mileage driver.

Trying to make a long story short, the first time I had an issue I was on a short trip on the highway, a day after a large snowfall. The highway was clear and clean though the day was very cold and the car started shaking with the traction control light coming on but the engine reduced speed thing etc did not happen. I did reduce my speed to reduce the shaking. I thought wow is this road in that bad shape or are my tires coated in hardened snow and then I thought it might be snow/ice build up in the wheel wheels. Got off the road as soon as possible and sure enough every single wheel well had snow/ice build up that was actually rubbing against the tires and it was ice hard. Managed to get that all removed and the car started with just the check engine light on so I stayed on the city roads and then took the highway home, all was fine. and check engine light did not come on the next day.

Had this problem a few more times a few weeks later on the morning start after a very cold night. Same routine Start car, car starts to shake get the Service Stabiltrak warning, engine reduced speed. Shut engine off. Cleared out any and all ice/snow from the wheel wells. Car starts no problem with just the check engine light on and after a few starts the check engine light goes off.

Was at the dealership for a service appointment and mentioned this as an afterthought and the service rep said yeah we've been getting a lot of complaints about that you just have to keep the ice and snow clear. And I didn't pursue it.

Everything fine for a week until the weather got colder again and had issues the last few days.

But now I realize this is dangerous and ridiculous so to the dealership asap. I am disappointed that the service rep seemed so nonchalant about this issue and didn't suggest getting that looked after. After all I didn't have this issue in previous years though this winter has been particularly cold - I don't recall the snow/ice build up being so hard even last year.
    -
    I was assuming it was a sensor issue but I realize from reading this forum it might be something more serious but at least I know what the dealership should be looking at and how much this may cost me.
  • tcesnicktcesnick Member Posts: 1
    I am also having this issue with my 2011 Impala (66,000 miles). Usually there is no difference in the performance of the car when the lights come on and after stopping and restarting all but the engine light go off (this goes off after a day or so). I'm so annoyed with this car that even though my husband will drive nothing but Silverados I will definitely never buy another Chevy for myself. I have asked a few mechanics and they are saying it will cost between $500 and $800 to fix, and that will not guarantee the issue will not happen again.
  • callyco81callyco81 Member Posts: 2
    Go on safercar.gov and file a complaint so that this problem can be recalled
  • reducedpowerreducedpower Member Posts: 1
    I have this problem with my Impala also. Reduce Engine Power...., it comes and goes.. but is getting progressively worse. I can feel the car sputtering for lack of better word. I have scoured the internet and no one really seems to have a clue. Lose gas cap, wet wires, throttle sensor.. I went to trade this car and the dealer won't even take it. Said they no longer take Impalas on trade. I am going to let the bank have it back, take the hit on my credit, this car is just not worth it. I do not want to sell this to a private party, I'd feel awful if they had problems on the interstate and had an accident. Too bad it has this issue, because it really handles winter roads nicely. BTW, someone wrote how it eats tires. Had my alignment checked, all is good, but it grinds em down fast.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,741

Reduce Engine Power...., it comes and goes.. but is getting progressively worse. I can feel the car sputtering for lack of better word. I have scoured the internet and no one really seems to have a clue. Lose gas cap, wet wires, throttle sensor.. I went to trade this car and the dealer won't even take it. Said they no longer take Impalas on trade. I am going to let the bank have it back, take the hit on my credit, this car is just not worth it.

Really? It would be a lot cheaper to visit a qualified technician and have this repaired. The idea that someone just knows what is wrong based on a given symptom, or set of symptoms is a poor interpretation of what a tech has to do. There are quite a few good techs out there that would make fixing this "just a other day in the office".

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    these problems are fixable. You just have to go to the right people. It's pretty reckless to have the car re-poed as a solution I think.