Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Reader's Rides & Photos

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Still going through the old albums and got this converted from an old slide. Photo dates from 1980, the Datsun is probably a '78 or so.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489

probably should have put some air shocks on that baby!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570

My son posted a picture of my car on Instagram, and BMW's Instagram account picked it up.

See it here:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited May 2014

It's the season for the birds to bomb my cars in the driveway. Once I get them clean, I'll get a photo up since we just added a new vehicle for the wife and gave the new college graduate the wife's 2011 Versa.

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855

My small town car show. I was hoping he'd "lite em up"

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146

@PF_Flyer said:
    It's the season for the birds to bomb my cars in the driveway.

There's a season for that? Here it happens all year 'round.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Once we get past "ice out", the robins all seem to join the 81st bomber wing and absolutely plaster our driveway. When you move one of the cars, there's a "shadow" left where the car was parked.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780

@PF_Flyer said:
    It's the season for the birds to bomb my cars in the driveway. Once I get them clean, I'll get a photo up since we just added a new vehicle for the wife and gave the new college graduate the wife's 2011 Versa.

Nice, Bob! Looks like the birds aren't the only ones dropping bombs! LOL

Congrats!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

The latest addition.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited June 2014

Can I borrow that puppy? For, say, the next six months?

(It's got AC, right?).

@stever said:
    Can I borrow that puppy? For, say, the next six months?
    (It's got AC, right?).

Sure! I doubt Andy would mind me loaning it out. A/C, and a nice flat-screen TV that gets any channel you like, as long as it's PBS (3 versions) or Fox (1 version).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Cool, can you deliver it to Las Cruces?

(I can leave the Subaru and Quest at your place for collateral. Maybe forever, lol).

edited June 2014

Hahahah; sweet! Are both the truck and trailer new, or just the trailer? It's funny how stumpy the front end of the trailer is. Clearly, the RV manufacturers are catering to the short-bed crowd! With an 8' bed like that Ford has, you could get a fifth wheel trailer with another 3' of bedroom on the front of it without being any longer of a tow! :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

Nice Cruze. I really like the green.

Is it a diesel?

edited June 2014

@imidazol97 said:
    Nice Cruze. I really like the green.

Is it a diesel?

Not a diesel, was to afraid of possible oopsie between gas/diesel vehicles (meaning having both). Just saw a post elsewhere with gas cruze getting filled (really filled) with diesel by mistake , not good (2014 Cruze also, ouch) Mine is Eco version.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414

@ray80‌

How do you like it so far? Any minor teething issues or major problems? You have the 1.4L Turbo?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,675

That is a nice looking Cruze. I've always been a sucker for a nice shade of green.

edited June 2014

@nyccarguy said:
    ray80‌

How do you like it so far? Any minor teething issues or major problems? You have the 1.4L Turbo?

So far so good, just got it last Tuesday and it has < 900 miles on it so far . Yes, 1.4 turbo.
    This is going to be my daily driver so I opted for the 6 spd MT. Took me a day or 3 to get my right foot adjusted to differance between the HHR with 170k miles on it and and a new vehicle thats rather eager to go in the first couple gears when the turbo comes into play.
    Eco gearing seems a tad strange or different, couple thousand miles more on the clock and getting things a little more loosened up and I think that impression will go away.

Color choice was a little odd for me as generaly I would always go for some sort of red. In fact when I first went to see waht they looked like on a sunday when dealer was closed I had thought the crystal red tint would be my favorite, but in traveling down the row we came to the green ones first and they caught my eye. I didn't really like thr crystal tint red and for some strange reason didn't go for the red hot option .

(Oh Yeah, as much as I hated to, being a guy, I had to get the book out to get directions on how to put the thing in reverse, little different )

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@Kirstie_H said:
    The latest addition.

Nice! And I'm not showing this to my husband. He will be green with envy!

@xwesx said:
    Hahahah; sweet! Are both the truck and trailer new, or just the trailer? It's funny how stumpy the front end of the trailer is. Clearly, the RV manufacturers are catering to the short-bed crowd! With an 8' bed like that Ford has, you could get a fifth wheel trailer with another 3' of bedroom on the front of it without being any longer of a tow! :D

Truck was purchased in March or April - new to us, but it's a 2008. Trailer was purchased on Friday. Bigger trailer? No thanks. That means more room to store visitors. Camping is our peaceful alone time :o

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,386

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Okay, got a shot of the new minivan in the garage, a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. Heading out next week for New Mexico to run a load out.

@stever said:
    Okay, got a shot of the new minivan in the garage, a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. Heading out next week for New Mexico to run a load out.

Nice, lots of room for stuff in this one.

@stever said:

Congratulations on the new van.

Thanks, and yeah, there is a lot of room in it. Tell me again why people buy trucks? B)

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694

@stever said:
    Thanks, and yeah, there is a lot of room in it. Tell me again why people buy trucks? B)

Because you can't haul firewood, dirt or rock in a van? At least not much volume...

What's a yard of 3/4 minus weigh?

Granted, I LIKE minivans and think they are far more useful than a CUV.

;)

edited June 2014

I have to admit I never hauled rocks in the van. Used the Subaru for that, LOL.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2014

I hauled mulch in the van. But I also did that with the Leaf. ;)

Actually got 19 bags in the Leaf! Everyone at Home Depot was in shock, and quite a few commented that I was going to break the car. Of course, those people just don't use their heads... it didn't weigh more than 2 overly large adults, if you really think about it. While I was loading up, a guy pulled up in an Expedition and declared he'll be making 2 trips for his 20 bags. I couldn't help but laugh out loud at him.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Leaf mulch. Perfect. :D

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414

I put 10 bags of Mulch in the 3er last year. This year the Pilot took 30 with 2 kids in the back seat;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694

I put 2 yards of super soil in the bed of my truck, around #1000 lbs.

Rode better...

:p

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539

@ray80 said:
    (Oh Yeah, as much as I hated to, being a guy, I had to get the book out to get directions on how to put the thing in reverse, little different )

That color is very nice. I love how green and blue are coming back in style and edging out the ubiquitous "50 shades of gray" that Mercedes got going a while back. I was over silver about 10 minutes after it came out.

About 5 years ago, I bought some Mirada/Cordoba alloy wheels for $75, with the intention of putting them on my '79 5th Ave one day. Well, I finally got around to it. Please excuse the blue-walls, for the time being B)

@andre1969 said:
    About 5 years ago, I bought some Mirada/Cordoba alloy wheels for $75, with the intention of putting them on my '79 5th Ave one day. Well, I finally got around to it. Please excuse the blue-walls, for the time being B)

Looks good, Andre! Can I be the first to say.... "It's about time!" :p

Those alloys will also fit my '57 DeSoto, but I know better to do that...the 70's and 50's really don't mix well...sort of like watching a Happy Day's episode and seeing all those Farrah Fawcett-inspired feathered hairstyles on the women...and sometimes the men!

Here's one :p

Funny that the photo shows $1.30 fuel during a time when that was outrageously expensive! Fuel was also that cost in the late 1990s for a few years, but it wasn't "expensive" that time around. :p

Well, I don't have to remember too far back, as my '67 Catalina, '76 LeMans, and '79 Chryslers have the fuel filler behind the license plate.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    edited June 2014

My fintail has the filler behind the plate, too. I put gas in it 8 days ago, so I remember those days ;)

What's that off to the left, a 66 Country Squire? Cool.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489

And a jeepster behind it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261

My 1989 Cadillac Brougham has the fuel filler behind the license plate.

• boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    edited July 2014

@slorenzen said:

A yard of 3/4 weighs About 3000 pounds. It takes a F-250 or better.

@boaz47 said:
    A yard of 3/4 weighs About 3000 pounds. It takes a F-250 or better.

Back in 2006, I bought some topsoil from the place up the street. They told me that a cubic yard would weigh about 2800 lb. Well, I'll confess that I had grossly overloaded my '85 Silverado before, so I figured I'd chance it, as it was just a half-mile drive.

Well, I got the load home, and unloaded it, and saw just how far a cubic yard of topsoil DOESN'T go, so I went back for another. And then a third. By the time I got the third home, I was tired as heck, so I let the truck sit, and had a beer. And that's when I heard two cracks, in rapid succession.

I didn't know what it was, until I got the truck unloaded, and noticed the tailpipes were hanging kind of low. The Silverado had a single exhaust, but with two pipes coming out of the muffler, both exiting on the driver's side. I think I had weighted it down so much that the pipes got pinched by the rear axle as it settled, and the stress caused them to snap at the muffler, where it was already rusting, and weak.

I remember going into DC on one hot summer Saturday, and suddenly heard a dragging sound. Those tailpipes had finally worked their way loose enough that they were dragging the pavement, on Route 50 coming into DC. Luckily I was able to pull off onto a service road and then a parking lot, got them completely off the truck, and threw them in a dumpster.

Well, then about a month later, I was in Baltimore, and heard more dragging. This time it was the muffler itself, which after being unsupported on one end for too long, I guess, finally stressed out the pipe leading into it, and it broke loose. I pulled off by the Ravens' stadium, kicked it loose with my boot, and, forgetting that it was still hot, grabbed it with my bare hands to throw it in the back of the truck, and got a nice burn...

After that, I had learned my lesson, and stopped overloading the truck! And the next time I needed dirt, I just ordered a dumptruck load...14 cubic yards. It was worth the $80 to deliver it!

I still see people leaving that material place though, in their compact/midsized pickups, and half-ton full-sizers. Most of them look like they're loaded down at an even worse stance than my Silverado was! Even worse, some of them go out on the main road with those loads, a divided road with cross traffic and a 45 mph speed limit. In my case, I just stayed on my own street and kept it easy. I wonder how much more effort it takes to panic-stop a half-ton pickup from, say, 45-50 mph with an extra 2800 lb in the bed? I imagine that has to be hell on not only the brakes, but the whole structure of the truck!

• boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747

Now and then I have done it with a beefed up 3/4 ton with heavy duty rear suspension and one of the older 7.2 diesels. Last time was with a 1 ton dodge dully diesel. I can't imagine trying to move a yard of gravel or even dirt with a 1/2 ton. You could pull it with a trailer but that is a lot of weight for a 1/2 ton.

edited July 2014

boaz, I remember you from the old Frontlines site. The name also rings a bell (one of the pillars?). Maybe you could add what you drive and what state you hail from in your settings. Thanks, Dave

• morgusxmorgusx Member Posts: 2

1999 Chrysler Concorde,

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570

Let's see if we can get a bigger picture:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited July 2014

Here we go again - part of this load is headed to my sister in VA (she gets the electric mower on the left). Most of the rest will go into storage in TN at my brother's pending our move to NM in a month. I do have a view out the back - this pic was taken at the shop getting a flat fixed and I had moved stuff around to get to my jack and tools. Picked up a nail doing a pit stop at McDonalds. :'(

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,294
    edited July 2014

My daughter is getting ready to move to Madison WI, over a thousand miles from CT. One of the tires on her Escape was mounted backwards when the tire was plugged over the winter. I had it mounted the right way, but it started losing air. Brought it to another (closer) place to have it fixed. They said they removed a nail and plugged it, no charge. Of course it still lost air. Took it to another place and they replaced the valve stem ($4.05). It seems to be holding air now.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert