Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda Odyssey Lease Questions

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090

@chuckjr said:
    Michaell I had a question regarding your comment "Leases should be negotiated like a purchase - secure the best price using the tools at the top of the page, subtract out the lease cash, and that becomes your net cap cost."

Is it typical that I should be able to get a great sales price and then deduct dealer cash from the great sales price? Recently both Acura (on the TL) and Honda (odyssey EXL) balked at that idea.

It used to be I could rely on fleet/internet sales to be straightforward but with this round of negotiations I'm finding them just as shifty as traditional salesman

you should be able to. there really aren't any differences between a purchase and a lease in terms of selling price. you might try working with multiple dealers to which one is willing to give you the best deal

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• aytayt Member Posts: 13

Hi.. I got a lease on Friday for Odyssey EX-L RES from Los Angeles dealer. Below is the information. Can you please let me know if the deal is fair or how close it is? Thank you

MSRP: $38,055, Selling Price: $32,858.61 + $595 Doc fee, 36 month lease with 15K miles, $1,000 down (includes 1st payment) with a $441 payment (includes 9% sales tax).

@ayt said:
    Hi.. I got a lease on Friday for Odyssey EX-L RES from Los Angeles dealer. Below is the information. Can you please let me know if the deal is fair or how close it is? Thank you

MSRP: $38,055, Selling Price: $32,858.61 + $595 Doc fee, 36 month lease with 15K miles, $1,000 down (includes 1st payment) with a $441 payment (includes 9% sales tax).

Using your MSRP and selling price with the 36/15 residual of 52% and base MF of .00055, I get a pre-tax payment of $408.87 ... with 9% tax I am at $445.66. Your payment of $441 seems right in the ballpark.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• aytayt Member Posts: 13

Thank you Michaell for your input. I feel much better now since it was a good deal.

• solarajsolaraj Member Posts: 6

Last week I leased an EXL no nav or res. Purchase Price 31000. 36months 15k. 1300 due at signing and 35 payments of $359 (includes 7% sales tax). This site helped a lot. Thank you for everyone's input. NJ resident

• mochlamochla Member Posts: 5

Hello,
    Just got this offer. Let me know if you think it is a good deal. I'm in Illinois.
    Lease
    2014 Honda Odyssey EXL
    MSRP 36,455.00
    Sale price lease quote $30,061.56
    residual -20,414.80
    36 month term
    12,000 miles per year
    Zero due at lease signing /Zero money down
    included -first payment, tax , title , license and Doc fee
    Special Monthly Lease Payment *399.00
    (with 35 payments left) with approved credit

@mochla said:
    Hello,
    Just got this offer. Let me know if you think it is a good deal. I'm in Illinois.
    Lease
    2014 Honda Odyssey EXL
    MSRP 36,455.00
    Sale price lease quote $30,061.56
    residual -20,414.80
    36 month term
    12,000 miles per year
    Zero due at lease signing /Zero money down
    included -first payment, tax , title , license and Doc fee
    Special Monthly Lease Payment *399.00
    (with 35 payments left) with approved credit

seems a good deal given that IL taxes the entire purchase price, not just the payments. Note that the law has changed but won't be effective until 1/1/15

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• jsotelojsotelo Member Posts: 2

Hello everyone, so I'm really sorry for the noob question but here it goes.

Wife and I were looking at buying an Odyssey but we think a lease might work better for us this time around but we're new to leases. I've been reading but I'm confused.

So the standard lease that's currently offered on the EX-L is that a good deal? From what little I know it seems good because it it shows a Net Cap of 30176.79 which is the "purchase price" correct? the best purchase prices I seem to get on an EX-L are in the 32K range or am I totally confused?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    edited July 2014

@jsotelo said:
    Hello everyone, so I'm really sorry for the noob question but here it goes.

Wife and I were looking at buying an Odyssey but we think a lease might work better for us this time around but we're new to leases. I've been reading but I'm confused.

So the standard lease that's currently offered on the EX-L is that a good deal? From what little I know it seems good because it it shows a Net Cap of 30176.79 which is the "purchase price" correct? the best purchase prices I seem to get on an EX-L are in the 32K range or am I totally confused?

You'd have to link the ad with the lease offer for us to give an educated opinion.. But, NET CAP COST is usually after any downpayment or customer cash, so it's likely the purchase price plus additions (acquisition fee?) minus customer downpayment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jsotelojsotelo Member Posts: 2

@kyfdx said:
    You'd have to link the ad with the lease offer for us to give an educated opinion.. But, NET CAP COST is usually after any downpayment or customer cash, so it's likely the purchase price plus additions (acquisition fee?) minus customer downpayment.

Thank you for the reply, this is the Ad

2014 Odyssey 6 Speed Automatic EX w/ Leather Featured Special Lease Offer valid from 5/13/2014 through 7/7/2014 $299.00 per month for 36 months. $3,499.00 total due at signing. Includes down payments with no security deposit. Excludes taxes, titles and dealer fees. For well qualified lessees. Closed end lease for 2014 Odyssey 6 Speed Automatic EX w/ Leather (RL5H6EJW) available from May 13, 2014 through July 7, 2014, to well-qualified lessees approved by Honda Financial Services. Not all lessees will qualify. Higher lease rates apply for lessees with lower credit ratings. MSRP $36,455.00 (includes destination, excludes tax, license, title, registration, documentation fees, options, insurance and the like). Actual net capitalized cost $30,176.79. Net capitalized cost includes $595 acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may vary and could affect actual lease payment. Total monthly payments $10,764.00. Option to purchase at lease end $20,414.80. Must take new retail delivery on vehicle from dealer stock by July 7, 2014. Lessee responsible for maintenance, excessive wear/tear and 15¢/mile over 12,000 miles/year for vehicles with MSRP less than $30,000, and 20¢/mile over 12,000 miles/year for vehicles with MSRP of $30,000 or more. See your Honda dealer for complete details.

After I posed this I called the guy who I bought my Civic Si from and this is what he told me

$30924.00 for the EX-L
    8% taxes equals a monthly payment of $359.00
    Residual is 56% or 20414.00
    12k miles 36mo lease
    $3000.00 Down

What do you think about this?

He suggested that I go for an 84 month loan at 2.99% interest instead.

IDK Ford is offering me a crazy deal on a Flex right now and I'm not sure the Odyssey is a good enough deal to bite on right now.

Selling price on the advertised deal is $32781.79.. minus $3200 cap cost reduction, plus $595 acquisition fee = $30176.79 net cap cost.

I sort of agree that buying isn't a bad deal... .but, I'd surely try to swing a 60 month term at 1.9%, if you can handle the monthly payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mom2gbbmom2gbb Member Posts: 1

question on leasing in Illinois - you stated that IL taxes the entire amount, is that for all leases in Il or if I am an Indiana res and will register in IN do IN rules apply?

@mom2gbb said:
    question on leasing in Illinois - you stated that IL taxes the entire amount, is that for all leases in Il or if I am an Indiana res and will register in IN do IN rules apply?

I'm not certain, but if you are an IN resident, I think that in the end you would only be responsible for IN taxes. I would recommend asking a dealer in IL - I'm sure this is something they deal with all the time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• vrfruitsvrfruits Member Posts: 1

Question for leasing in California, San Jose. Received the quote for touring elite;
    $520.00/month include CA TAX + 4.5K down include doc, license, title and rest toward cap cost.
    36 month lease with 15K mile per year. Sale price $41,472.00, residual: $22,179.
    Can anyone please tell, is this a good deal?

@vrfruits said:
    Question for leasing in California, San Jose. Received the quote for touring elite;
    $520.00/month include CA TAX + 4.5K down include doc, license, title and rest toward cap cost.
    36 month lease with 15K mile per year. Sale price $41,472.00, residual: $22,179.
    Can anyone please tell, is this a good deal?

My calculations show a $0 down 36 month lease (49% residual and .00055 MF) pre-tax payment of $570.93. I'm assuming that the cap cost reduction accounts for the lower payment you are being quoted.

It's not a good idea to put a down payment on a lease; if the car is stolen or totaled, you are out that money.

That said, if you're comfortable with the deal, it looks good from here.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• coolzcoolz Member Posts: 2

Can you please let me know what's the MF and RV for a Odyssey EX-L Nav 15K/12K in Teaxs?
    Thank you in advance!

• ssa3ssa3 Member Posts: 10

I want to know if $1,500 "lease cash" and $500 "flex-cash" are still available on Odyssey in southern California?

• mantis802mantis802 Member Posts: 2

Could you please give your thoughts…live in Indianapolis, Indiana. Left dealership today with a quote on a 36 month (12k miles/yr) lease for 2014 EX-L RES. MSRP 38,055, sale price 34,958. Quoted lease payment of 478/mo with 0 money down and 1st payment + doc fees due at signing. Any thoughts, does this sound reasonable?

@coolz said:
    Can you please let me know what's the MF and RV for a Odyssey EX-L Nav 15K/12K in Teaxs?
    Thank you in advance!

.00055 and $1500 lease cash.

You didn't mention the lease term, so I'll assume 36 months. 54% for 36/12, 52% for 15K.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@ssa3 said:
    I want to know if $1,500 "lease cash" and $500 "flex-cash" are still available on Odyssey in southern California?

$1500 lease dash for all trim levels EX-L and higher. Not sure that flex cash exists any more, or if it's applicable to leases.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@mantis802 said:
    Could you please give your thoughts…live in Indianapolis, Indiana. Left dealership today with a quote on a 36 month (12k miles/yr) lease for 2014 EX-L RES. MSRP 38,055, sale price 34,958. Quoted lease payment of 478/mo with 0 money down and 1st payment + doc fees due at signing. Any thoughts, does this sound reasonable?

54% residual and .00055 MF. Does your sale price include the $1500 lease cash?

With your numbers, I get a pre-tax payment of $430.76.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• mantis802mantis802 Member Posts: 2

Yes this includes the lease cash. Thanks for your reply.

What should be my lease payment. If:
    MSRP: $38,455
    RV: 54%
    Selling Price: $33,065
    Term: 36 Months
    MF: 00055
    Tax Rate: 8%

I came up with $400.95 ($371.25 + $29.70). Is this correct?

@ssa3 said:
    What should be my lease payment. If:
    MSRP: $38,455
    RV: 54%
    Selling Price: $33,065
    Term: 36 Months
    MF: 00055
    Tax Rate: 8%

I came up with $400.95 ($371.25 + $29.70). Is this correct?

That matches up with my calculations.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Thank You!

• primoinsprimoins Member Posts: 2

Honda Odyssey Elite $45,000 MSRP in California.

$1500 cash back incentive. I think for my lease trade in.

51% residual

.00055 MF

Should I put down payment? What would be a great Cap Cost?

One dealer wants 1000 down and 560 a month @ 36 months?

Can I get a better deal? What sort of deal should I be negotiating?

Thanks for your reply

@primoins said:
    Honda Odyssey Elite $45,000 MSRP in California.

$1500 cash back incentive. I think for my lease trade in.

51% residual

.00055 MF

Should I put down payment? What would be a great Cap Cost?

One dealer wants 1000 down and 560 a month @ 36 months?

Can I get a better deal? What sort of deal should I be negotiating?

Thanks for your reply

With 51% residual, it's a 36mo, 12K/yr lease, right?

The $1500 is lease cash from Honda on this model. It has nothing to do with your trade. What you need to know (or negotiate) is the selling price of the vehicle. You wouldn't want to give the dealer MSRP minus that $1500.

You can check this discussion to see what others are paying:

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/16768/honda/x/2014-honda-odyssey-prices-paid-and-buying-experience#latest

The $1500 on the Elite is not available on a purchase... though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kert491kert491 Member Posts: 6

I don't understand what "Lease cash" is. I saw it advertised as an incentive, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Do they only give a cash incentive if you choose to lease and not buy? Why would they do that?

Also, is it possible to negotiate the purchase price after the lease is up? I figure they should be willing to bargain a good price for when the lease is up, so you will be more likely to buy it.

@kert491 said:
    I don't understand what "Lease cash" is. I saw it advertised as an incentive, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Do they only give a cash incentive if you choose to lease and not buy? Why would they do that?

Lease cash is like a rebate, but only valid on leases. There may be other incentives that are available only when you purchase - they are mutually exclusive.

Also, is it possible to negotiate the purchase price after the lease is up? I figure they should be willing to bargain a good price for when the lease is up, so you will be more likely to buy it.

Not usually able to negotiate the residual value - the only time I bought out a lease (VW), I was able to secure a slightly better than market interest rate from VW Finance. They were not willing to change the buyout value.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• chopper20chopper20 Member Posts: 3

First lease attempt! Can someone give me an opinion on: 2014 Ody Touring, 36 months 12k miles/year. $3100 from 2011 Ody equity trade. Vehicle price $42710, $5667.82 "preferred customer discount", Selling price of $37042.18. OTD price $35,771.13 monthly payment including tax $429.18? I have a feeling there is more for me to learn on the lease thing, buying is easy...

@chopper20 said:
    First lease attempt! Can someone give me an opinion on: 2014 Ody Touring, 36 months 12k miles/year. $3100 from 2011 Ody equity trade. Vehicle price $42710, $5667.82 "preferred customer discount", Selling price of $37042.18. OTD price $35,771.13 monthly payment including tax $429.18? I have a feeling there is more for me to learn on the lease thing, buying is easy...

Is the $3100 trade equity being used as down payment? Using your supplied MSRP and OTD price along with the 36/12 residual of 51% and the base MF of .00055, I calculate a pre-tax payment of $420.24. Your quote of $429.18 with tax seems pretty good.

The only moving parts in a lease are the negotiated selling price and the MF.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Thank you so much for the quick answer. They are giving me 21k for a trade in value on my 2011 and the pay off is $17900. It looks like they are using the net $3100 as a down payment.

The residual is 51% and MF is .00045

@chopper20 said:
    The residual is 51% and MF is .00045

I confirm both the MF and residual for the Odyssey Touring. Your payment of $429/mo is quite good given the MSRP of $42K.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• jamalzarjamalzar Member Posts: 10

was offered the sale price of $30,398 on EX-L by a dealer in MD on 36 months, 12K/year, lease. net capitalized cost would have been my sale price plus acquisition fee ($595) bringing the total cost to $31K before tags, taxes, and processing fee. any thoughts?

@jamalzar said:
    was offered the sale price of $30,398 on EX-L by a dealer in MD on 36 months, 12K/year, lease. net capitalized cost would have been my sale price plus acquisition fee ($595) bringing the total cost to $31K before tags, taxes, and processing fee. any thoughts?

Hi,

Check out this discussion for Prices Paid. If you post there, you might have a better chance at a response, regarding your price.

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/16768/honda/x/2014-honda-odyssey-prices-paid-and-buying-experience#latest

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• i_spyi_spy Member Posts: 41

Hi there,

I am interested in leasing the Odyssey EX-L model (debating between 2014 and 2015). Could you let me know the MF and Residual on 12k/year, 36 months lease for both 2014 and 2015? Also, can I apply the '$1500 lease cash' on both MY2014 and MY2015? Thanks!

i-Spy

• 88awake88awake Member Posts: 15

Hello, Looking for Odyssey Touring and Touring elite MF and Residual for 12k / yr, 36 month lease (or 39 month). I was assuming only 2014s are available, but if you know 2015, that would be great. (I'll look at the response to i_spy for the EX-L.) I'm in CT, if that matters. Thank you so much!

@i_spy said:
    Hi there,

I am interested in leasing the Odyssey EX-L model (debating between 2014 and 2015). Could you let me know the MF and Residual on 12k/year, 36 months lease for both 2014 and 2015? Also, can I apply the '$1500 lease cash' on both MY2014 and MY2015? Thanks!

i-Spy

No information yet on the 2015 Odyssey.

EX-L 36/12 RV is 56%. MF is .00055 and $1500 lease cash.

I doubt the lease cash will be applicable to the 2015 MY, when they become available.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@88awake said:
    Hello, Looking for Odyssey Touring and Touring elite MF and Residual for 12k / yr, 36 month lease (or 39 month). I was assuming only 2014s are available, but if you know 2015, that would be great. (I'll look at the response to i_spy for the EX-L.) I'm in CT, if that matters. Thank you so much!

Touring and Touring Elite have the same RV - 51% for 36/12.

Same MF and lease cash as posted above.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• deropusderopus Member Posts: 36

Hi,
    I am looking at a 2014 EX-L/Nav with the sales price of 32734 reflecting the lease cash of $1500 with no additional down payment. I am in Los Angeles, CA. What should my lease payment be for 12k/36 months? Thank you!

@deropus said:
    Hi,
    I am looking at a 2014 EX-L/Nav with the sales price of 32734 reflecting the lease cash of $1500 with no additional down payment. I am in Los Angeles, CA. What should my lease payment be for 12k/36 months? Thank you!

Not enough information - we also need the MSRP of the vehicle in question.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Hi deropus, Which dealer in Los Angeles is offering you the sales price of $32,734 for EX-L with Nav.? I am in the market for the same model.

Your prompt reply will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Michaell, MSRP is 38455. Thank you!

@deropus said:
    Hi,
    I am looking at a 2014 EX-L/Nav with the sales price of 32734 reflecting the lease cash of $1500 with no additional down payment. I am in Los Angeles, CA. What should my lease payment be for 12k/36 months? MSRP is 38455. Thank you!

With your MSRP and selling price, along with the base MF of .00055 and the EX-L Nav residual of 54%, I get a pre-tax payment of $361.88 for 36 months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Thank you Michaell!

• barrybuckeyebarrybuckeye Member Posts: 20

Hi, love the information sharing. In NC looking for lease info on:
    2014 EX-L, RES
    15,000 miles per year
    36 month lease

Residual:
    MF:

It seems like $34,000 is a good price including the $1,500 lease cash, but if i am wrong, weigh in on that as well.

Many thanks

@barrybuckeye said:
    Hi, love the information sharing. In NC looking for lease info on:
    2014 EX-L, RES
    15,000 miles per year
    36 month lease

Residual:
    MF:

It seems like $34,000 is a good price including the $1,500 lease cash, but if i am wrong, weigh in on that as well.

Many thanks

EX-L RES 52% RV and .00055 MF. $1500 lease cash.

Check out the Odyssey Prices Paid forum .. been quite active the past couple of weeks.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• kyliebradyappakyliebradyappa Member Posts: 41
    I just started my initial discussions with a dealer here in SoCal on an EX-L RES and it looks like they are willing to go below $34k plus $1.5k lease cash. If I get it down to $33.5k (or below) plus the $1.5k cash would that be considered a good/great deal?

@kyliebradyappa said:
    I just started my initial discussions with a dealer here in SoCal on an EX-L RES and it looks like they are willing to go below $34k plus $1.5k lease cash. If I get it down to $33.5k (or below) plus the $1.5k cash would that be considered a good/great deal?

You should check the "Odyssey Prices Paid" forum for more information on transaction prices.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

This discussion has been closed.