Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• @m6user said:
    "The 2014 Mazda' 6's are limited on dealers lots. with the higher end 2014 models left. Sticker price on the Touring models are 32k plus."

No, I think your talking about the Grand Touring model and at that price you are getting radar cruise, collision avoidance radar braking, I-eloop and several other things that I don't think the Accord has. Nice stuff but a little pricey and still a 4 banger. Gee, I even think you get a leather shift knob, split rear fold down seats and a light in the glove compartment. LOL.

Agreed. The touring Mazda 6 was like 27,000, and that was in red, automatic, dual sunroofs, heated seats, 19" alloys, etc. There was some BS dealer prep, delivery charges, etc. so, out the door your looking at $27k again plus financing........back to 27k

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181

You really need to keep that Optima for about 10 yrs. It's the only way you're not going to take a huge hit on resale.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410

@cski‌

Sucks about your washer leaking downstairs. There is a product called "Flood Stop" that you can (or have your plumber) install. It is a sensor that hooks up to the water supply hose bibs. 1 drip of water and it will shut the water supply off.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486

Mine is in a pan with a dedicated drain pipe. Hopefully never have to find out if it works.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

Motor Trend likes the Accord Sport, which it had for a long-term test of 23k miles. It even beats the Civic Si at the test track. Huge tires, apparently, can make a difference....

2013 Honda Accord Sport Verdict
    By Ron Kiino | Photos By Motor Trend Staff | From the September 2014 issue of Motor Trend

....Armed with the so-called Earth Dreams direct-injected engine, which touts 4 more horsepower and 1 extra lb-ft (up to 182) compared to non-Sport I-4 Accords, our long-termer zipped from 0 to 60 mph in 7.5 seconds and through the quarter mile in 15.8 at 90.8 mph. As I mentioned in a prior update, that 0-60 stat makes the Sport a tenth quicker than a 1998 Lexus GS300. Even better, it's 0.2 second quicker than our long-term 182-hp 2013 Nissan Altima SL and only 0.3 slower than our turbocharged 274-hp 2013 Kia Optima SXL. Better still, the Accord, EPA rated at 26/35/29 mpg city/highway/combined, returned observed fuel economy of 28.6 mpg, a healthy 1.4 mpg better than the 27.2 of the 27/38/31-rated Altima, and, in case you're wondering, markedly superior to the 22.8 of the 22/34/26-rated Optima.

More than quick at the dragstrip and frugal at the gas pump, the Accord proved plenty able at the handling track. In our figure-eight test, the Sport, wearing 235/45R18 Michelin Primacy MXM4 all-season tires, clocked a time of 26.7 seconds and maximum lateral acceleration of 0.88 g. By comparison, the sporty 205-horsepower Honda Civic Si in this issue could only muster 26.9 seconds and 0.86 g, and that was with summer tires....

Over its nearly 23,000 miles of service, the Accord Sport remained a reliable transporter, requiring not one unscheduled dealer visit....

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/sedans/1407_2013_honda_accord_sport_verdict/

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539

...And that was with the CVT.

edited July 2014

@ahightower said:
    ...And that was with the CVT.

Yes. With the manual it's almost a second faster to 60.

Here's an interesting comparison. Which would you choose: A Civic Si sedan ($22,990) or an Accord Sport 6MT ($23,715).

For $725 the Accord seems like a lot more car. Smaller is better sometimes esp. for tight traffic conditions, but ironically the Accord gets better mpg (28 combined compared to 25) because of the Earth Dreams engine which the Civic lacks. The Civic Si does have a better stereo, as well as a limited slip differential, but otherwise their level of equipment is similar iirc.

I'd go with the Accord Si. Although I've been on vacation and just gotten a chance to drive my brother-in-laws 2012 Civic Si and it's a blast. It really is a tough call.

The civic also has a moonroof. Yes, that is important to some people!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,071

@stickguy said:
    The civic also has a moonroof. Yes, that is important to some people!

Especially tall people. They don't fit in the Civic with the moonroof.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Exactly. I wanted to like the Civic Si, and was willing to trade back seat space for fun, but simply didn't fit with the sunroof.

Anyone going anywhere fun this weekend? We're 44 days out from Disney World, and I'm actually looking forward to that drive in a strange way, as it will be the first real test of our new Pathfinder. But I'm antsy to stretch the Accord's legs, too. I'm averaging 25 mpg since taking on the short commute. NOT a complaint about the hours saved and infrequency of filling up... but watching the lifetime avg go down on fuelly is no fun. I'm in the mood to take a nice long country road day trip, just for lunch or something.

Don't worry about your lifetime fuelly average going down. Here's a snapshot of my fuelly dashboard since I joined August of last year:

2011 BMW 328xi - 21.0 mpg over 18,097 miles (best 23.4 mpg)
    2011 Honda Pilot 4WD - 15.8 mpg over 11,633 miles (best 19.6 mpg)
    2001 Honda Prelude - 23.8 mpg over 3,038 miles (best 25.7 mpg)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014

Hey guys. I have been busy. I couldn't hold out as a mature 43 year old and I bought a floor jack and painted my brake calipers. Since my car is red, they look normal and very much stock that way. After that my Lamina-X Headlight covers/Protectors came in, which match my fog light covers.
    I have to stop screwing with it now. I am starting to feel like a hoarder... and OCD for sure.

Sooooo........

Then I went on an eBay rampage. I bought the Kicker dual 10" subs and the kicker 300.1 amp to run it. Then I bought a Kicker 200.4 amp (50 watts X4). So, of course the stick speakers had to got to feel like one of those collectors (they are crap). I replaced the stockers with 4 Alpine "E" series speakers, and a set of 2 Kicker 6.5" door speakers for the rear deck. Yep....I am gong to use the rear deck for speakers, just as s god intended. The Kicker amplifiers and Alpine amps and speakers are highly respected by the car stereo install people I have spoken to and from the research I have undertaken. Each Kicker amplifier comes with its own detailed certificate on how much power it actually puts out RMS. They are all underrated. My 600.1 sub amp actually puts out 327 watts RMS and the 200.4 amp is certified at 231 RMS, so 57 watts per channel.

So, I had it all installed by the Geek Squad at Best Buy. They did a great job, except that they did not hook up the fader correctly. I have to move the fader more to the back for LESS rear output. Totally backward. Going over to get it fixed at 10:30,

Back to mid size-

I drove a 14 Mazda 6 Touring and it felt almost as fast as the Optima turbo. The SX Turbo version of m y car felt much improved in steering, Handling is vastly better than mine, it's steering was much faster and quick to move of enter. The I/P has been upgraded. The center stack LCD display on my SX had a tiny center stack display. Embarrassingly tiny. The I/P is nice... the center stack looks cheap with the base stereo, and it looked mismatched somewhat. I guess it looked weird because I have had my6 car for years and it looks like everything matches.

I strongly feel Mazda needs t do just a minor center stack upgrade and it would,d draw in mnire customers, I found the LCD's to be tiny (like digital watch tiny), So the dual zone A/C LCD displays are hard to read. I liked the enter stack display, but would have to poll out the manual on a few things. The sunroof was nice.
    The Bose stereo was excellent, and had a lot of bass. The seats looked nice and there was a sight whiff of loath when I got in the car. The steering is fantastic, the handling was fantastic, the engine was adequate, and the transmission helped me slow down by down shifting on its own like when stopping for a light from 60 mph.

Had the 6 and the Accord been available at the end of 2011....like December 23rd 2011, I might be driving a Mazda 6 Touring right now.
    I honestly think Mazda's horsepower may be conservatively rated. It is notably faster than my car, and when it downshifts to pass at say 65....it just flies. I was very glad to have the opportunity to drive it for over an hour without a chaperone, but felt kind of bad for the nice young man assigned to me as salesperson. I would have bought a car from him in a. minute. For people shopping for a mid size, Fairfax Kia and Brown's Fairfax Mazda are right across the street from each other. Also less than a mile away are three other car dealerships. Chevy, Volvo, Fairfax Honda, and Ford/Lincoln

edited July 2014

NEW PICTURES! I Finally bought the entire front end Lamin-X blue covers for my headlights to match the fog light covers I have had for a year, I bought a floor jack, pulled the wheels and painted the calipers while I was at it. So, I have a whopping $900 Visa bill on the way.

Without further ado, here are the pics:

Look, I don't use drugs, drink, or do anything else remotely slummy. Having kids changed my perspectives, but I got the itch bad to do a few little things to my car, and I enjoy the hobby, like it, or not. All of us say "I's done, that is the last modification" 3 month blater I am doing something else silly to it.
    I previously posted that I also installed 2 amplifiers and 8 speakers, including DUAL 10" subs, Alpine door speakers, and Kicker rear deck speakers. Yes, It kicks a**.

Am I immature? Yes. I feel 23, not 43, and since I pay all my bills and take care of my family, I allow myself this one indulgence. The Amps were $460. 4 alpine 50 watt rms speakers $100. The kicker 6.5" speakers were on sale for $44.99 and handle 60 watts rms each. The Lamin-X head and fog light covers (pre cut, very think vinyl and easy to install with the water method. That was $59.99. They have a coupon code "10OFF" That will save you a few bucks. The laminate comes in 5 different colors.
    http://www.lamin-x.com/ for more info.

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681

@cski said:
    NEW PICTURES! I Finally bought the entire front end Lamin-X blue covers for my headlights to match the fog light covers I have had for a year, I bought a floor jack, pulled the wheels and painted the calipers while I was at it. So, I have a whopping $900 Visa bill on the way.

Without further ado, here are the pics:

Look, I don't use drugs, drink, or do anything else remotely slummy. Having kids changed my perspectives, but I got the itch bad to do a few little things to my car, and I enjoy the hobby, like it, or not. All of us say "I's done, that is the last modification" 3 month blater I am doing something else silly to it.
    I previously posted that I also installed 2 amplifiers and 8 speakers, including DUAL 10" subs, Alpine door speakers, and Kicker rear deck speakers. Yes, It kicks a**.

Am I immature? Yes. I feel 23, not 43, and since I pay all my bills and take care of my family, I allow myself this one indulgence. The Amps were $460. 4 alpine 50 watt rms speakers $100. The kicker 6.5" speakers were on sale for $44.99 and handle 60 watts rms each. The Lamin-X head and fog light covers (pre cut, very think vinyl and easy to install with the water method. That was $59.99. They have a coupon code "10OFF" That will save you a few bucks. The laminate comes in 5 different colors.
    http://www.lamin-x.com/ for more info.

That is awesome! Very nice...kudos to staying young :smile:

BTW...I'd block out the license plate numbers...weirdo's out there.

The weirdos are on the beltway with him every day.

Mods look nice. Distinctive without being tacky.

I don't understand the caution about (and common practice of) blocking out license plate numbers in an online pic. What is it supposed to prevent?

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062

Exactly. As if you don't show it to everybody on the road every time you drive anywhere.

Most (all?) states do not have a public access reverse-lookup for license plate numbers. (Yet, google blocks them out on street view... maybe just to appease the conspiracy theorists.)

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181

Probably because the internet has a lot more wackos than can be encountered on the road on a daily basis and they seem to have nothing better to do than look for ways to antagonize people.

@cski: I actually like the lens covers. At least they are functional. The brand sticker is a little conspicuous for my taste, but at least you haven't added any faux fender vents :)

Companies don't want to show them because of the remote chance of liability if something did happen, but for individuals posting their own vehicles that really doesn't apply.

@cski‌

fantastic job on the calipers. Sounds (no pun intended) like you know what you are doing with the speakers. Glad you are happy with the results.

We're all in the same boat. We've all got responsibilities, otherwise the majority of us would be driving a 911, Corvette, ///M3… Personalizing YOUR car to YOUR tastes isn't cheap, but it is MUCH CHEAPER than trading in and taking that huge depreciation hit. Cheers to you!

• @m6user said:
    You really need to keep that Optima for about 10 yrs. It's the only way you're not going to take a huge hit on resale.

Absolutely correct. I am keeping my car until at least 2020. That's why I keep adding cool stuff to it... to keep it new in my mind. The stereo used to go up to 35. Now I can only get to 15. So, my sub is only putting out 1/2 volume, and the fader is hooked up backward. After dropping by yesterday (where they were swamped) I have an appointment tomorrow at 3:45. I cant wait!

edited July 2014

@ivan_99 said:
    BTW...I'd block out the license plate numbers...weirdo's out there.

Yes, I have noticed that you gurus block out your plate numbers. Why? I have "Life Lock".

• @ahightower said:
    cski: I actually like the lens covers. At least they are functional. The brand sticker is a little conspicuous for my taste, but at least you haven't added any faux fender vents :)

Oh, the stickers will be gone in 30 to 60 days. I like the little logo's for a while, then one day I feel like a Doofus and pull them off. But doing these little upgrades is my hobby.

My hobby used to be gas powered remote control cars....heck I had a turbo diesel Kenworth with a real, functioning turbo diesel .It rolled Coal\from the exhaust stacks just like a. Real one. I had about 4 of them. All sold. They cost a fortune to maintain and repair, so you might as well just upgrade a real car.

Do any of you guys know a good car stereo forum? I need research!

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681

@cski said:

Probably paranoid...I always blot out the license plate...even my house address number when I had a vehicle picture taken for sale.

I know I can get the info...bad guy could probably too.

Most people use their camera phone to take pictures. Seems you used your SAMSUNG ES73 / VLUU ES73 / SAMSUNG SL605...with your flash on auto...that did not fire...bunch of EXIF data out there.

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

cski - how much light does the darker tint over the headlights block out? There is obviously a difference in illumination, is it enough to easily notice or is it pretty close to stock? Also - is it legal in Virginia to cover your headlights? I thought it was illegal in most (if not all) states.

• @ivan_99 said:

Most people use their camera phone to take pictures. Seems you used your SAMSUNG ES73 / VLUU ES73 / SAMSUNG SL605...with your flash on auto...that did not fire...bunch of EXIF data out there.

Wow man. You got the name and the mode number of my camera off the pics? That is a little scary. I finally got my Samsung Galaxy 3 phone replacement. I took an educated guess and bought a used s3 for $147 w/ free ship. It's flawless as described. eBay never lets e down.It's all about the good review.

• @dudleyr said:
    cski - how much light does the darker tint over the headlights block out? There is obviously a difference in illumination, is it enough to easily notice or is it pretty close to stock? Also - is it legal in Virginia to cover your headlights? I thought it was illegal in most (if not all) states.

I have not driven it at night yet. Lamin-X said 10% max, and that is on their darkest black. Also, the blue will fade about 35% in the next 6 months. I have used them before and done about 10 cars...and one motorcycle.

• @cski said:
    I have not driven it at night yet. Lamin-X said 10% max, and that is on their darkest black. Also, the blue will fade about 35% in the next 6 months. I have used them before and done about 10 cars...and one motorcycle. I really want a pair of those dark tinted license plate covers...but the State Police have no sense of humor about it.

edited July 2014

@m6user said:

I am gonna back it into my uncles barn at 50,000 miles, put some sta-bil in it, buy a new Mazda 6, then let a yet-to-be-born- relative find it 75 years from now. Like an American "Red Barchetta" . (if you don't low what that is you are A: too young B: don't like Rush and finally 3: don't like priceless Ferraris found buried in a garage.)

He or she that finds the car will have one or two reactions
    1)Hey! Check out this beautiful old gasser!! It's gotta be worth a fortune!
    Or.....
    2) Awwww damn. It's a Kia! :)

P.S.

A lot of people in WW2 knew the [non-permissible content removed]'s were coming, so they buried their valuables before they fled, or perished when the Stormtroopers arrived. This is the basis for the Rush song. A young man finds an old Ferrari in mint condition; clears it off, and fires the engine, enjoying the pure thrill of driving.

It is a great song, but in reality these vehicles would have been disassembled and hidden all over, and even if there were a secret barn with a mint Ferrari, it ain't gonna start until after a 100,000 rebuild. :(

• @ahightower said:
    cski: I actually like the lens covers. At least they are functional. The brand sticker is a little conspicuous for my taste, but at least you haven't added any faux fender vents :)

Point well taken. I say the Lamina-X sticker will last 30 days max. It is missing half the "L" already It tore with no pressure whatsoever. After rating the lens conversion the Lamina-X site, they sent me two more stickers!

edited July 2014

Nice test of the new Accord hybrid. Like cski I'm thinking of keeping my car until it's 8-10 years old. But I'm already up to 6.5 years and 70,000 miles in my 2008 Accord, and so maybe about 3 years to go. And the Accord hybrid I'd definitely consider, since it might save as much as $1000 a year in gas.

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/44751/2014-honda-accord-hybrid-touring-review-test-drive

"The remarkably advanced hybrid system in the new Accord Hybrid achieves greatness, as I was able to obtain 49.5 mpg around town....

Still, evident of the efficiency of the CVT and combined hybrid powertrain system, 0 to 60 mph time comes in at 7.2 seconds. That is slightly faster than the non-hybrid 2.4-liter Accord Sedan...."

• @nyccarguy said:
    cski‌

Sucks about your washer leaking downstairs. There is a product called "Flood Stop" that you can (or have your plumber) install. It is a sensor that hooks up to the water supply hose bibs. 1 drip of water and it will shut the water supply off.

After 6 years my cheapo Kenmore washer had just about everything wrong with it that can go wrong. The really cool and nice Sears dude had a checklist and kept checking it off...with both of us chuckling. said $550 to fix it.We both laughed and I paid his $75 fee & went straight to Best Buy for another cheapo washer. This new one has pretty LED's.....I like LED's.

LOL. It's an Amana for $399 (down from 449) so it qualified for free haul away of the old one, and free install of course. The girl that sold it to us that we had to us braided metal water lines. Really? My car doesn't even have to use them under a LOT more pressure. So, $399 turned right back to $449.

BTW- The people downstairs immediately yanked everything from their bathroom (the floor designs are identical) and dried it out, They had nice tile floors like mine so NO damage!!!! YAAY! (no insurance claim). Ok, Gotta run.

• @benjaminh said:
    Nice test of the new Accord hybrid. Like cski I'm thinking of keeping my car until it's 8-10 years old. But I'm already up to 6.5 years and 70,000 miles in my 2008 Accord, and so maybe about 3 years to go. And the Accord hybrid I'd definitely consider, since it might save as much as $1000 a year in gas.

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/44751/2014-honda-accord-hybrid-touring-review-test-drive

"The remarkably advanced hybrid system in the new Accord Hybrid achieves greatness, as I was able to obtain 49.5 mpg around town....

Still, evident of the efficiency of the CVT and combined hybrid powertrain system, 0 to 60 mph time comes in at 7.2 seconds. That is slightly faster than the non-hybrid 2.4-liter Accord Sedan...."

Just be careful on that one3. It is the most modern, complicated hybrids on sale now. It has no traditional gear box. I would just get the EX with optional open/close air intake covers, real transmission,, far less complicated, and in the real world you may save 1 mpg. Read soe reviews n it first,

edited July 2014

@cski said:
    Just be careful on that one3. It is the most modern, complicated hybrids on sale now. It has no traditional gear box. I would just get the EX with optional open/close air intake covers, real transmission,, far less complicated, and in the real world you may save 1 mpg. Read soe reviews n it first,

Reviews and actual owner experiences at driveaccord.net seem to indicate that getting close to the rated mpg is possible.

You're right that it's an almost revolutionary hybrid system. I'm glad Honda is taking the lead and not just copying Toyota! The Honda Hybrid easily beats the Camry Hybrid for mpg, as well as all the other midsize hybrids on the road. Having had excellent experiences with three Accords now (2002, 2008, and 2013), I mostly trust Honda's engineering prowess—but I would probably get the extended warranty for the reasons you mention.

At this point in life, at the age of 50, I do like my cars loaded. But comparing the top-of-the-line Accord Hybrid Touring with the V-6 Accord Touring is potentially compelling.

Accord Hybrid Touring: EPA rated 47 mpg, msrp $34,905

Accord V-6 Touring: EPA rated 26 mpg, msrp $33,480

The difference in msrp is just $1425. Since the savings in gas is estimated to be as much as $900 a year, in less than two years you've covered the difference.

Or at least so it would seem. But right now the Accord Hybrid is in such demand that it's usually commanding full msrp, while the Touring can be had for as much as a $3000 discount. Since there's really a c. $4000 difference in price, it looks like about five years to really make up the difference.

But I'm hoping that by the time I'm in the market, in 2-3 years, that Honda will have upped production so that prices will have moderated.

The Accord Hybrid is one of Honda's halo cars. I actually wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are losing a little bit of money on each one they sell, which might mean that they will continue to keep production numbers rather low. But they have shown that they can leapfrog mighty Toyota on one of their signature products, which is pretty impressive.

edited July 2014

Consumer Reports raves about the Buick Regal:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2014/09/updated-buick-regal-and-volvo-s60-challenge-the-class-leaders/index.htm

"....If you still think of Buick as a brand only for octogenarians with a taste for whitewall tires and vinyl roof treatments, the Regal will change your mind in one test drive. It’s a thoroughly developed and satisfying midsized sports sedan that’s more reminiscent of an Audi A4 than a softly sprung luxo-barge. That European feel is no coincidence, because the Regal is based on a German design from General Motors’ Opel division...."

The Regal is actually the same size as the Optima, Accord, etc., and so counts as a midsize car.

@benjaminh said:
    Consumer Reports raves about the Buick Regal:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2014/09/updated-buick-regal-and-volvo-s60-challenge-the-class-leaders/index.htm

"....If you still think of Buick as a brand only for octogenarians with a taste for whitewall tires and vinyl roof treatments, the Regal will change your mind in one test drive. It’s a thoroughly developed and satisfying midsized sports sedan that’s more reminiscent of an Audi A4 than a softly sprung luxo-barge. That European feel is no coincidence, because the Regal is based on a German design from General Motors’ Opel division...."

The Regal is actually the same size as the Optima, Accord, etc., and so counts as a midsize car.

I have had a 2011 model for a while and really like it. I do not think it is the same size as those you mention though. It feels and drives smaller.

edited July 2014

@ab348 said:
    I have had a 2011 model for a while and really like it. I do not think it is the same size as those you mention though. It feels and drives smaller.

The new Regal is maybe a bit bigger than the 2011 you had. It's pretty much the same size as the Accord now. Actually the Audi A4 has grown too, but is still smaller than those two cars.

Accord length 191 inches

Regal length 190 inches

Audi A4: 185 inches

I like the interior design of the Regal from pictures. It seems like a nice combination of futuristic, European, and American luxury:

http://www.buick.com/2014-regal-luxury-sport-sedan.html

One thing about the Regal, however, is that its turbo 2.0 liter engine gets lower gas mileage than the Accord's big V-6.

Makes me really wonder if turbo is the way to go. Ford is seemingly going all in with turbo, but the mpg gains just don't really seem to be as significant as we would hope....

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

Regal is much closer in interior size to a Civic than to an Accord. Civic 95 ft3 Regal 98, Accord is 103. Trunk size is 12 ft3 for Civic and Regal 16 for Accord.

edited July 2014

The Regal, as you say, has less interior room and less trunk space than the Accord, but in terms of its length, width, and weight, it is very similar to the Accord. In fact, it's heavier than the Accord V-6.

Accord's weight (V-6 Touring): 3559 lbs, length 191 inches, width 73

Regal's weight (2.0 Premium II): 3722 lbs, 190 inches, width 73

Civic's weight (EXL navi): 2930 lbs, 179 inches, width 69

The Regal is 11 inches longer and weighs about 800 pounds more than the Civic.

The EPA's combined mpg ratings are: Accord V-6 26, Regal 2.0 24, Civic 33

I like the s60 a lot. Looking forward to driving one with the new engine.

It is a bit of a let down that these near-luxury midsize cars, like the Regal and the new Acura TLX, have the exterior dimensions of an Accord or Optima, and weight that's greater than those, but interior space that's close to the Civic.

???

I guess it comes down to styling, soundproofing, more padding on seats, etc.

Anyway, the Acura TLX and Buick Regal are seemingly about the same in terms of list price, equipment, etc. The new TLX starts at c. $31k, and seems to have the equipment level of Regal Premium I, which lists for c. $32k.

Ford still has a lot of tuning to do on the ecoboost engines. The 2nd gen engines (1.0, 1.5, 2.3, 2.7 and a new 2.0) should be a lot better on fuel with better head cooling and better programming.

• wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259

It is a bit of a let down that these near-luxury midsize cars, like the Regal and the new Acura TLX, have the exterior dimensions of an Accord or Optima, and weight that's greater than those, but interior space that's close to the Civic.

I am with you 100 percent, benjaminh. I don't really care as much about how long or wide the car is, but I use the EPA's guidelines when looking for a car. The EPA uses 110 cu ft interior volume (which includes the trunk) as the breaking point between compact and midsize. We are car shopping and may look at the TLX, but we realize it is a compact sedan (106.5 cu ft). When acura says they combined the TSX and TL to make the TLX I do not see it that way. I see it as they got rid of the TL (a midsize sedan - one of two acura midsize sedans) and shrunk the TSX (already a compact) to produce the TLX - a compact. This leaves acura with the TLX as a compact and the RL (starting at $48,500) as their sole midsize sedan. (In fact, the RL is just a little smaller than the accord inside while the TLX is slightly larger than a civic, but smaller than a corolla - by EPA standards.) We also considered the Q50, but it is also a compact.... with run-flat tires and a spare - go figure! (Reading blogs on the Q50 also steered us away.) We are now waiting for the 2015 maxima. We considered a 2014 maxima, but the crash test (according to Edmunds) of a 2 star for the passenger and poor protection in a rear end collision negated that (but the 2014 is quite a buy at this time). Once the 2015 maxima is out - with crash test results - we'll give it a look. But it's stuff like I mentioned above (size - compacts; or safety with the maxima) that will lead me back to looking at a camry if I am not happy. I am in no hurry to buy, but am only going to buy what fits our wants/needs.

BTW - cski - your car looks sharp!

wayne21: Would you consider an Accord Touring?

In spite of looking at an acura, I do so reluctantly. We take excellent care of everything we own and we had an accord that had the original plus 3 rebuilt transmissions in less than 90k miles. It's the only car we've ever had with a transmission replaced. In spite of knowing the acura is a Honda product, I would consider it. But no, I am not interested in an accord. In fact, my wife has made it very clear that we will not be looking at an accord. Car purchases require a "two vote" and I don't think she's interested in discussing it.

edited July 2014

Understandable.

I had bad car experiences with Ford and VW. I'm still not ready to forgive, even though that was many years ago. And, in contrast, I've always had good experiences with Honda reliability and quality, plus when things do need work Honda has taken care of me so far.

Car makers must know that a bad experience can turn a customer off of that brand forever....

One only buys so many cars in a lifetime and for me, if I get burned once I tend to stay away. Our daughter-in-law has a 2010 accord. I know she's had issues, but I asked our son about their Honda experience. He says the Honda has been to the shop more than their dogs have been to the vet. That pretty much drove a nail in the Honda coffin for my wife.... and probably me. But still willing to look at a TLX.