Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tunnel Blasting and Decibel Readings - 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2014 in Chevrolet
imageTunnel Blasting and Decibel Readings - 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

Our 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray has a pretty hearty exhaust note, but just how loud is it?

Read the full story here

Comments

• cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274

This is worthelss without video :)

• bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188

i am convinced that the DB reader on all iphones are completely worthless trying to get sound measurements of my computers is compleatly infuriating it doesent go up when i place the iphone inside my computer case or when im 6 feet or 12 feet from the case and i know that it's louder than the ambient room noise.

• joner800joner800 Member Posts: 80

curious as to where a Mustang 5.0 or Jaguar F Type V8 w/sport exhaust would fit in that chart...

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

I'm with bassracerx - the idea that you're going to get accurate sound pressure levels with the microphone in a smartphone is ridiculous.

• donszr1donszr1 Member Posts: 12

If you use the same instrument for all measurements the accuracy is not too important for comparisons.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

I heard one of these winding up on a rural road last week and it was freakin' LOUD. Borderline obnoxious --unless you were the one with your foot in it! :)

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

@donszr1 said:
    If you use the same instrument for all measurements the accuracy is not too important for comparisons.

You don't know if the frequency response of the mic is flat - some cars may be louder, but the sound is at a less-responsive part of the frequency response for that mic - so it reads as being not as loud. C'mon - it's a cheap little mic that's optimized for the limited frequency range of the human voice.

• bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188

also the measurement of Decibals is logarithmic so the accuracy can be WAY off very easily if the sensor reads just a littlebit wrong. but that sounds about right the sotmgray being twice as loud as the tesla model s and the ram ecodiesel at 70.